Veterans Canteen Service
49Low

Veterans Canteen Service Employee Reviews

United States154 reviews
I started here in september 20th, and my end date was march 15th due to covid19. My job was to do the drink cooler and grab n go. Its alot of good people that work in the vcs. I did the retail side. Those employess are like family to me now. Work everyday was fun and filled of laughter. Im going to miss working here but im going to get on as a patient escort so i am going to still coming in the retail to check on my vcs family everyday single day! At times busniess can be very busy and they will work you HARD!!! But its all worth it. You cant be lazy working here. You got to come with it. Shoutout to all my old employess i worked with. Cant wait to see you guys everyday again! If you come here ask all the managers and supervisors about this guy name casey they will tell you all about me ahahah. Peace to the vcs! Cant wait to see you guys again!
Pros
Fun people to work with
Cons
Alot of times they short paid me
The employees in the trenches are good, management and central office personnel and managers are all terrible. They threaten a lot. They use their power to make you scared to mess up. Management turns on you in order to save themselves
Pros
Benefits can be good
Cons
Management sucks
Working at the Veterans Affairs Hospital in Minneapolis is a rewarding experience, and let's you give something back to America's heros. VCS is a small part of that, but being able to grow as a person, and help those who served is a great thing.
A typical work day would be working as a cashier and stocking the front of my cafeteria. I also train every new employee we hire, and I was the lead. The most enjoyable and worst part of my day would have to be with the customers. The customers can be wonderful and they can also be frustrating! Management is great at times, I just ask for better communication and explanation!
I really enjoyed working there,the bosses worked around their employees work schedule,and there's room for advancement.It was sometimes very fast paced,that"s what I enjoyed.I got to meet alot of people and got know them on a personal level.There was alot of things to learn and to do.
Pros
You get to serve our nations hereo's, their families, fellow co-workers.
Cons
In my opinion there weren't really none.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
Information from interview did not match what was brought to the position. Work to family tome balance was not there. Was not able to use my annual leave time Nobody to fill my position while taking leave which resulted in loosing leave time (use or loose). I did enjoy working with my staff and assisting with fellow Veterans in our retail store
Short staffed most of the time, management just sits back and watches. You can work hard and do your best but job advancement is all about favoritism or who has a connection. You’re not allowed to accept tips. There’s no reward for hard work, but if walk in 1 min late you will hear about it(even when they always keep you past your time). There is no clock in/clock out method so you better make sure you’re getting paid for all your hours or they will “forget”

hours.
Working to help serve the families of our veterans is what keeps me coming everyday. It is a very rewarding place to work and the people you meet will influence your life for the better.
management pushes good worker! young lazy workers are babied! management cant compete with more competent people! shame shame shame🤡s. Boise Va is a sad place.
management dont get along with each others and you and up doing different things that each manager told you to do,and forget about working at the cash register that's only for the oldest employees.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Veterans Canteen Service?
Race was a huge issue at this job. The chief has full authority regardless if they are ethical or not. African Americans dont succeed here. Neither do women. Dont waste your time. They dont even care if you are a veteran or not.
The chief is very unfair to her workers would recommend anyone not to work in Brooklyn VA, the Chief only liked some people not everyone, she only hired only certain people that look like her
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Bad management
Great place to work great benefits good way to get into working for the government and meeting a bunch of new people And you get to hear a lot of old war stories from some of the vets somebody’s guys a real great guys I talk to them every day and salute them for the work that they’ve done for us
I worked there for two days, while I cant say much about the employees other than they seemed nice but a bit complacent. The way the company handles Employee Tax and benefits is via 1099. This wouldn't be horrible considering the high turnover rate if it wasn't for the fact that its COMPLETELY ILLEGAL. It isillegal to have independent contractors do what is considered day to day operations things that would require employees to have a w-4. That is all you would do. They use 1099 to label their employees as independent contractors to avoid paying any kind of benefits and making the "contactors" pay all of it. After taking out taxes you 12.61 an hour goes to 10 that's below the minimum wage. Another major thing was they would say "oh its only till HR processes your employment it can take up to a year" they would use that as a scapegoat and a way to manipulate the worked to continue under the presumption they would get a w-4. I asked around and almost all of the employees had almost no idea what a 1099. Making it clear to me that they were trying to be deceptive and they don't care about their employees.
Pros
Helping Veterans
Cons
The job is easy and fulfilling but the management is lackluster and the patients are stealing or angry with you because you don't give them freebies. Also if your not going out with co-workers then you probably wont advance at all. Truly it is a place where its not about what you know but who you know.
If you're married, have kids or want a life, then this is not the place that you want to be at. Very resistant to innovation and coming up to the times although that's what they portray to focus on.
Pros
I wouldn't do it
Cons
No life
Lost my job because of management was not a good manager accused everyone of Stealing and not doing our job work for that company for a month and didn't get paid for a month
Pros
Was in walking distance from home
Cons
The People, working at the Aurora Co,Canteen,are good,but,the Management is,Way out in left field,No,sense of direction,unorganized, unprofessional, speaks,to some in a Very Harsh tone and demeanor, do Not believe in Compromise, unless it benefits them,talk about other employees in a negative way and behind there back,Will Not,be honest about job duties,this Is the Worst experience, that I,have had in many many years,Uncaring,and Very Evil people,Would Never,Recommend this place to a Animal.
Pros
Leaving, Not Soon Enough.
Cons
Never, Ever Returning.
I worked for VCS for 8 months.There is no job security and THEY ARE VERY UNDERSTAFFED and management does nothing to help out. They put you on contract and WILL NOT TAKE OUT TAXES. With no benefits
Pros
Steady paycheck
Cons
A typical day at work was full of fun and lots of interesting people to meet. I learned how to stock merchandise properly and the importance of customer service, meeting different people everyday satisfying their needs. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping veterans.
It was a great experience, you learn something new everyday. Sometimes it can be hard when you have customers who are not as nice, but manage always helps with tips on how to do with difficult customers.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Veterans Canteen Service. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7