Veterans Canteen Service Employee Reviews

The only thing that made this job enjoyable was the hospital employees and the veterans.
Canteen Worker (Former Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 6, 2019
Interacting with customers is what I do best. Making sure they are happy while in the store and happy once they leave was my main goal. But that was hard to do since the management was horrible to deal with and work for. Trying to get your breaks when they were short staffed was ridiculous. And the blatant disrespect and attitude that was given by the managers was something I have never dealt with from a management team in my 20 plus years in customer service. When they had a bad day EVERYONE had a bad day and when you are in a position of authority that’s unexceptable.
Pros
The employees of the hospital and the veterans.
Cons
The worst management I have ever worked for.
Productive and Fun
Canteen / Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHDecember 13, 2018
It is a fun place to work and get to know the Vets that are residing there....not enough pay for living expenses. Overall they have great benefits.. the Store provides you with personal items you might need for home.. The people such as the workers in the whole Hospital are wonderful people to serve.. The Vets are your main concerns They protected our Country. There is a lot of history floating thru-out the campus... getting to know the Vets is a wonderful feeling.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
on your feet for 8 hours with 2 15 minute breaks and an half hour lunch
Lucky to be a part of
Retail Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  2094 Albany Post Rd, Montrose, NY 10548December 12, 2018
Great career to get into. Job security, lots of benefits, hard work is recognized, and the driving factor of the hospital is to always be available to veterans as well as keep a positive outlook.
Productive and challenging
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLNovember 13, 2018
I enjoyed the atmosphere. It was a fast-paced job full of new friendly faces. My favorite part of the job was the veterans. Remaining professional, I grew quite close to each of them and wanted to help and take care of them. I miss them all!
Pros
1 free lunch a day
Cons
short breaks
horrible
Canteen Chief (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 4, 2018
toxic environment constant treats with employment not worth the stress worst employer I have ever had will never recommend anyone for this position !!
Pros
non
Cons
everything
Satisfying place to work.
Patriot Brew Manager (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 25, 2018
Satisfying to serve Veterans and their families in a hospital.Long hours and fast paced. Each day at the Starbucks location we serve many of the hospital staff and patients. High volume and intense. I enjoy working with regular customers who rely on you to be consistent with their drinks.
Pros
Plenty of support
Cons
Long work day
Needs work
Cashier / Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 15, 2018
If going in do not go in as a contractor. The commitment that they have towards you is not like the commitment that you have towards them. Job requires you to out maximum effort while not keeping promises made on their end.
Work
Food Service Worker, Hospital (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GAOctober 14, 2018
It can be very stressful at times but I do have great times as well.I feel as though if management were more organized then things could be a whole lot better.
Great Benefits but Toxic Environment
Canteen Chief (Former Employee) –  MultipleOctober 10, 2018
Great Benefits and fair pay, however...

There is a vast division between Upper Management and "Middle" (Low) Management and Hourly Employees. All accountability really falls on the shoulders of "middle" management to keep the company afloat.
benefits
Cons
Bullying from upper management and down
I cannot say enough positive things about Veterans Canteen Service.
Central office staff. (Current Employee) –  St Louis MissouriOctober 5, 2018
I adore this company. I started off as a temp, was offered full-time because I work hard and take pride in my work. When I first started as a temp I had a horrible experience with someone above me and management stepped in and supported me in every way. It's not about profit here, it's about people. If you work hard and be a team player, communicate and give them feedback you will move up in this company. Those that complain about not being able to move up aren't correct, the management encourages it, especially the top executives. The upper management are great people and most all of them have worked their way up from much lower positions within the company, they're humble and very focused on their employees success and happiness and ALL OF THEM have open door policies, so if you're not happy then talk to them, they will take the time to talk to you. My advice is just take pride in your work, do your best, and if you make a mistake, own it and learn from it. In the few years I've been here I've earned my promotions, I've not had anything handed to me. I'll stay loyal to this company forever.
Pros
Absolutely everything, especially the people.
Cons
I honestly have none at all.
Mangment was sorry to much favoritism
Operations Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARSeptember 20, 2018
I loved my job but couldn’t stand management! I really didn’t like the favoritism and how the white and black issue was it was bad. I really loved my job! I hated to leave my job and would love to go back
Pros
Poor management
Cons
Great benefits and great union
Coffee shop
Barista/Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 18, 2018
Open shop which included counting in money and stocking pastries and food items in case.
Make and bake food for sale in coffee shop. All while providing excellent customer service to staff and veterans in hospital.
Pros
Getting to help our veterans and doctors supporting the veteran
Cons
Have to pass background checks and drug test. And deal with rude people.
Try to stay out of drama
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Aspinwall, PASeptember 4, 2018
Management is horrible. There is no room to move up, unless someone leaves their job position.
Needs improvement with hours and pay.
Make sure your going there with goals to improve yourself.
Pros
experience
Cons
hours, pay
Great team members
Assistant Chief (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 1, 2018
An exciting place to work as we take care of our nation's Veterans and caregivers. Overseeing several food concepts and maintaining customer service as a priority is our constant goal.
Pros
Great team to work with. Many have been with VCS for years.
Cons
staffing/hiring has been an issue.
Worst Company Ever Worked For
Former Chief (Former Employee) –  Been to multiple locations across the USAugust 25, 2018
Do not work for this company as they are the Worst of the Worst federal agency. VCS falls under the Dept of VA, therefore they are the step child slave to the medical center. You will need to do whatever the medical center front office or anyone within the hospital ask you to you. Whether serve them last minute request catering could be early morning, late evening, or even the weekend. All political and politics. If you don’t comply with their request. Trust me, you will get a phone call from your regional manager, leadership from St Louis, or a surprise visit possible a pink slip. Hated this company so much especially with it current Director, COO, and ADO. They are crooked and doesn’t care about your personal life/family except themselves. Don’t ever trust these folks they are your enemy. Back in the early 2000s, VCS is one of the best company to work for under the director at that time who care about veterans and employees. Current leadership only care about money to the bottom line. Aren’t we are here to serve our Nation Veterans and treat our employees with respect? Instead we are treated like a slave.
Benefits
Cons
Long hours, short staff, horrible upper management starting regional manager, low morale, not truthful
Recent employee
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARAugust 7, 2018
They are very unprofessional and organize slow and performance lack of motivation low paid overly working employees. Is best to just do your 90 days and move out of the canteen. 🙄 Worst job ever! whatever you apply for they make you wash dishes literally all day!
Pros
Free $6 only lunch
Operated the Geometric Automated Video Enhanced Location System
Cook (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 2, 2018
Equally important, I have managed and supported a wide range of mission-critical logistical, training and administrative tracking duties for hundreds of personnel and extremely high-dollar tactical equipment and weaponry. I have repeatedly proven the ability to flawlessly direct and support multifaceted operations while managing culturally-sensitive interpersonal relations with federal government, military, corporate contractor and civilian teams on both U.S. and foreign soil.
Not a good culture
Assistant Food/Retail Manager (VC-10-2) 40 hrs (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 22, 2018
Most people use the Veterans Canteen Service as a job to get into the government system. I don't recommend staying there any longer than you have to. Low pay and lots of working hours
Horrible company to work for
Supervisory Operations Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJuly 9, 2018
Pay is low, management is horrible. Overworked.. You always have to do the chief and assistant chiefs job while they are never their. Talk down on you. Management and pay was horrible. Would not recommend.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
everything
My day was very productive
Food Service Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 29, 2018
A normal day would be short handed and I would have to cover many areas in food and coffee. In food would consist of cash register, assisting in the kitchen with preparing food, working on the grill, working in pizza, salad bar and country cooking. I would have to assist in the retail store as well.
Pros
Full Shift
Cons
Short Handed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Veterans Canteen Service. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about