Veterans Canteen Service Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Horrible company to work for
Supervisory Operations Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJuly 9, 2018
Pay is low, management is horrible. Overworked.. You always have to do the chief and assistant chiefs job while they are never their. Talk down on you. Management and pay was horrible. Would not recommend.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
everything
Great Mission
Multi Unit Manager (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 23, 2018
The VCS is a great place to work. You get to help the serve the veterans, which is the best part of the job. Very nice team and great management, from RDO's to corporate office in ST. Louis. The only negative is the mobility clause that is mandatory to sign.
Pros
Team, Management
Cons
Mobility Clause
There is no backing from upper management
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJune 19, 2018
VCS is really out to make money. They care little about their employees and pay as close to minimum wage as possible. The managers are expected to run short staffed and long hours without any reprieve from their supers. The upper management at VCS does not care for the veterans in the individual VA medical centers, only the ones that go to the rehab games. Terrible company to work for
Cons
no breaks as management, no back up, constant criticism of management ideas
You have to move to promote as a manager
Assistant Canteen Chief (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 5, 2018
Position pay is based on location volume, which tends to be steady. If you want to promote and earn a raise, you generally have to relocate.
Poor support for small locations, but still held to very high standards for earnings, growth and on executive visits. I worked every third weekend straight with no comp days, generally 10-12 hour days.
Pros
Federal holidays off
Cons
Poor executive management
Low Pay
Vending Clerk (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAMay 30, 2018
Management disorganized. Low Pay. A lot of vacation days and good benefits. Discounts and free lunch a plus. Hard to make real change in the culture. +
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Low Pay
My Experince At VCS
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 19, 2018
The hardest part of the job was management. I personally felt that no one was doing their job effectively, and people who worked in the kitchen, coffee shop, and the retail store deserved better.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
managment
It’s an okay place
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAApril 10, 2018
The job’s okay but the money pays, it’s not an exciting job, you just prepare breakfast and lunch, clean after closing and go home. I like how I get most weekends off, you only work one weekend day for just cleaning (6 hours overtime), although one food service worker must stay in at Sunday for prepping food for Monday. But you are guaranteed Federal Holidays off and paid (if you work before the day or the following day). If you do your job well your boss will respect the hey out of you. Be aware that you may not get unpaid time off and you are forced to use your paid time off if you want vacation.
Pros
Free lunches, Paid Federal Holidays, paid time off, weekends off
Cons
Management needs improvement, no unpaid time off
union
Assistant Canteen Chief (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 31, 2018
Tough place to work must be very cautious of anything you say or do. Union environment makes communicating of f the cuff tuff must watch how you say and do everything can be misinterpreted or used against management.
Pros
no rotating shift
Cons
union environment
data entry
Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 22, 2018
I think this job is a good start up job. Recommended for students going to school in need of a summer job. Pay is pretty decent for young adults. Some temporary positions may become permanent.
Pros
opportunities
Cons
temporary
If you’re ONLY looking for just a job, this is it!
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMarch 15, 2018
During hiring process they don’t mention if it’s a temporary or permanent position. They exclude the important details needed for people who look at a job as a career. They picks and chooses which ones they wants permanent. If you are hired at Temp Appointment, that means NO Life Insurance, NO Medical Insurance, No benefits period! You go to managers with questions, and they’re all clueless and have you running around searching for an answer to your own question. Only meant for people looking for a steady job and a steady paycheck.
Pros
Free meals, Off by a decent time, Vacation & Sick days
Cons
No advancement, poor management
Good working conditions
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 17, 2018
I start @ 0530hrs and have a full day of preparation for service in Patriot Cafe then assist guests and all employees as needed
Take an inventory and report findings to my supervisor
Cons
Negative environment in working at the VA
Canteen Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 14, 2018
Poor morale and the employees were paid barely over minimin wage. Leadership was lacking and managers do not stay with the organization very long. Cut throat any senior management hires some of their relatives for manager duties within the vcs. There was always a lack of employees working due to call offs and not having the proper amount of staff. A manager would usually work like a regular employee instead of being a manager.
Pros
Federal job
Cons
Negative environment working at the VA
Fun Job but Hard Work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  KYJanuary 4, 2018
I really enjoy working here but if you aren't willing to work hard this is not the job for you. I love working with the Veterans, their families and the employees of the Hospital. That why I love working at the Canteen Store.
The pay is not that great, so they have a hard time keeping employees. It makes it harder for the rest of us because we have to do more to keep up.
My bosses are great.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Little Pay
Fast paced and stressful
Lead Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 31, 2017
Fast paced word with a lot of people who don't have experience in kitchen with managers who don't put a full effort in when the line needs help or is short staffed and a lot of stress due to angry upset veterans, nurses, and doctors. On top of getting less than 10/hr for a job that should pay around 13/hr.
Local ok, Upper management lacking
Canteen (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WADecember 12, 2017
I would say the local work environment is typically an ok place to work. It is only recently when a couple of people of come in and with bad attitudes and changed things. Also, upper management such as regional manager and central office personal have no reality check to local activities.
Pros
Monday-Friday schedule
Cons
upper management
fun and relaxed
Inventory control specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 2, 2017
This job is fun and relaxed. I enjoy working with the different customers., and making sure they are happy when they leave. I go above and beyond for each customer.
Pros
do not work on weekends
Cons
not enough hours, management is not on the same page
Once was a great place to work
Supply Clerk (Current Employee) –  FloridaNovember 27, 2017
Very poor management . Absolutely no advancement opportunities all ways over looked at advancement opportunities can't even get an interview for a position you apply for and are very much qualified for no matter how long you've worked for the company jobs always given to people either outside the company or new employees with little experience
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Poor management no advancement opportunities
Fun Fast Paced
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 3, 2017
My job is a fast paced fun environment that is full of interesting and fun people to be around. The hardest part of the job is putting out sales and waiting on customers at the same time.
The most enjoyable part of the job is some of the Veterans that I meet. And listening to their stories.
Pros
Free lunches, people, hours
Cons
No advancement opportunity
This Jobs
Cook/cashier (Current Employee) –  Temple, TX 76501November 2, 2017
While one of my managers was excellent the other was very nonchalant and uncaring. The general manger of VCS is rude and inconsiderate and the have unfair practices. I am well qualified for several positions and have been looked over for someone who is still learning 1 year later to do what I already was doing before she was hired. I was also cheated out of a bonus before the previous Chief resigned, I'm not sure how if I had the highest markings on my appraisal though.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Work environment
Fun job
Customer service
register skills
Moved around a lot
Very clean environment
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
15 minute break