Veterans Canteen Service Employee Reviews

Training nonexistent
MIT (Manager in Training) (Former Employee) –  Pineville, LAJune 5, 2019
Expected to employees to train themselves, treated people as if it was an inconvenience to train.
Employees not following polices & procedures huge
Favoritism on this part. And bullied if anything is mentioned.
**theft**
Menu is not food cost friendly. Out dated menu.

Just the worst place I've had the opportunity of a career in Management. Regular circus.

Benefits
Cons
Favortism, non exiting employee coaching
It was fun to work there when I was a food service worker and then I advanced into management. Very stressful. I wa
Canteen Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 14, 2019
When I worked there as a food service worker it fun fun I enjoyed going to work. Then I advanced into management. That is a different story. With no one else to help as management the corporate officer cenput a lot on my plate to deal with
Pros
Medical benefits, off on federal holidays, 2 hours every pay period added to your time off
Cons
Can't use your annual leave no one there to cover you as management, a very high work load and stressful.
Terrible out of touch Management in St Louis
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Somewhere in the Contiguous USApril 14, 2019
One of the worst places I ever worked. Central Office Management was so ignorant to the field. They would talk down to everyone in the weekly phone conference and put undue stress on everyone. Perform or else and give ultimatums. When any of them showed up at your location you could do no right by them. They are full of themselves and will throw you under the bus in a second.

If you want to advance they force you to move across the country even if you own a home and are happy where you live. They will not promote you unless you agree to uproot yourself. I covered as Chief on two occasions as interim. I knew the job well and proved it twice but they would not give a promotion to Chief because I hadn't joined the internship and moved around. I own a home and have a family and do not want to move. They didn't care how much I did for them. They really suck! Do not work for them if you want respect.
Pros
Cons
Disrepect in the highest degree
Really unorganized and poor management
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMarch 27, 2019
It is a fast-paced environment. I loved that there was always something to do. My co-workers were great. The kitchen is a bit crowded. Hardly had room in the fridges and freezers. FIFO and food placements were very unorganized and unhealthy. There would be raw meat on top of nonmeat items.
The managers would come in yelling for no reason. Start threatening to fire employees. They would do that almost daily. Very unprofessional. Even did it in front of customers. Quite embarrassing. The workers were unmotivated. Morale was really low. There were hardly any smiles or great customer service. They hire food service workers to do the cooks job. Loophole for saving money I suppose. They are soo greedy and dishonest. Worst people I have ever worked for and I am a veteran! If I wanted to get yelled at and lied to I'd stay in the service!
Pros
Free lunch, off weekends, great hours
High volume
Part time barista serving Starbucks drinks (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMarch 16, 2019
Poor management but I enjoyed the actual work. Very high volume, up to 200 customers a day. Great hours and nice environment. All in all an good job.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Poor management
Helping Veterans
Retail Buyer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 28, 2019
All work performed st VCS went directly to helping U. S. Veterans. Profits are to be distributed to medical facilities located throughout the United States on an annual basis.
Pros
Satisfaction in knowing you’re helping others.
Cons
Periodic short staffed.
Nice job
Manager (Canteen Chief) (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRJanuary 24, 2019
Nice job, lack management. They say you have support with the operation but higher management does not deliver if you need employees to open shop. Many times you have to work a shift by yourself.
Pros
Ok pay
Cons
Bad management
The only thing that made this job enjoyable was the hospital employees and the veterans.
Canteen Worker (Former Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 6, 2019
Interacting with customers is what I do best. Making sure they are happy while in the store and happy once they leave was my main goal. But that was hard to do since the management was horrible to deal with and work for. Trying to get your breaks when they were short staffed was ridiculous. And the blatant disrespect and attitude that was given by the managers was something I have never dealt with from a management team in my 20 plus years in customer service. When they had a bad day EVERYONE had a bad day and when you are in a position of authority that’s unexceptable.
Pros
The employees of the hospital and the veterans.
Cons
The worst management I have ever worked for.
Poor work place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 30, 2018
They need to fix the management and some other things if they fix it it would be a great work place but other than that it wasn’t the greatest job I had.
Pros
Discounted meals
Cons
Poor management
Productive and Fun
Canteen / Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHDecember 13, 2018
It is a fun place to work and get to know the Vets that are residing there....not enough pay for living expenses. Overall they have great benefits.. the Store provides you with personal items you might need for home.. The people such as the workers in the whole Hospital are wonderful people to serve.. The Vets are your main concerns They protected our Country. There is a lot of history floating thru-out the campus... getting to know the Vets is a wonderful feeling.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
on your feet for 8 hours with 2 15 minute breaks and an half hour lunch
Lucky to be a part of
Retail Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  2094 Albany Post Rd, Montrose, NY 10548December 12, 2018
Great career to get into. Job security, lots of benefits, hard work is recognized, and the driving factor of the hospital is to always be available to veterans as well as keep a positive outlook.
Productive and challenging
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLNovember 13, 2018
I enjoyed the atmosphere. It was a fast-paced job full of new friendly faces. My favorite part of the job was the veterans. Remaining professional, I grew quite close to each of them and wanted to help and take care of them. I miss them all!
Pros
1 free lunch a day
Cons
short breaks
horrible
Canteen Chief (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 4, 2018
toxic environment constant treats with employment not worth the stress worst employer I have ever had will never recommend anyone for this position !!
Pros
non
Cons
everything
Satisfying place to work.
Patriot Brew Manager (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 25, 2018
Satisfying to serve Veterans and their families in a hospital.Long hours and fast paced. Each day at the Starbucks location we serve many of the hospital staff and patients. High volume and intense. I enjoy working with regular customers who rely on you to be consistent with their drinks.
Pros
Plenty of support
Cons
Long work day
Needs work
Cashier / Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 15, 2018
If going in do not go in as a contractor. The commitment that they have towards you is not like the commitment that you have towards them. Job requires you to out maximum effort while not keeping promises made on their end.
Work
Food Service Worker, Hospital (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GAOctober 14, 2018
It can be very stressful at times but I do have great times as well.I feel as though if management were more organized then things could be a whole lot better.
Great Benefits but Toxic Environment
Canteen Chief (Former Employee) –  MultipleOctober 10, 2018
Great Benefits and fair pay, however...

There is a vast division between Upper Management and "Middle" (Low) Management and Hourly Employees. All accountability really falls on the shoulders of "middle" management to keep the company afloat.
benefits
Cons
Bullying from upper management and down
I cannot say enough positive things about Veterans Canteen Service.
Central office staff. (Current Employee) –  St Louis MissouriOctober 5, 2018
I adore this company. I started off as a temp, was offered full-time because I work hard and take pride in my work. When I first started as a temp I had a horrible experience with someone above me and management stepped in and supported me in every way. It's not about profit here, it's about people. If you work hard and be a team player, communicate and give them feedback you will move up in this company. Those that complain about not being able to move up aren't correct, the management encourages it, especially the top executives. The upper management are great people and most all of them have worked their way up from much lower positions within the company, they're humble and very focused on their employees success and happiness and ALL OF THEM have open door policies, so if you're not happy then talk to them, they will take the time to talk to you. My advice is just take pride in your work, do your best, and if you make a mistake, own it and learn from it. In the few years I've been here I've earned my promotions, I've not had anything handed to me. I'll stay loyal to this company forever.
Pros
Absolutely everything, especially the people.
Cons
I honestly have none at all.
Mangment was sorry to much favoritism
Operations Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARSeptember 20, 2018
I loved my job but couldn’t stand management! I really didn’t like the favoritism and how the white and black issue was it was bad. I really loved my job! I hated to leave my job and would love to go back
Pros
Poor management
Cons
Great benefits and great union
Coffee shop
Barista/Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 18, 2018
Open shop which included counting in money and stocking pastries and food items in case.
Make and bake food for sale in coffee shop. All while providing excellent customer service to staff and veterans in hospital.
Pros
Getting to help our veterans and doctors supporting the veteran
Cons
Have to pass background checks and drug test. And deal with rude people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Veterans Canteen Service. Our community is ready to answer.