VHC Health

Clear
3.8Pay & Benefits

hospitalvirginianursepatientcenterunitmagnetnursing

Decent Hospital

Bedside nursing is stressful. This hospital is decent and I like my co-workers here. However, you will work long hours, deal with high stress, and feel over worked.

January 19, 2023
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We appreciate your contributions and would like the opportunity to speak with you further about your concerns. Please reach out to me directly at VHCexperience@vhchealth.org. -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience

Ambitious and fair to the staff

Sharing the vision to provide state of the art care. Benefits are very good as well. I love my colleagues. They are fun work with. I have worked in many department but the OSC

November 14, 2022
Thank you for your feedback and being a valued team member at VHC Health. Please contact me directly at VHCexperience@vhchealth.org if ever needed. -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience

VHC Health insights

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Trust in colleagues

Great workplace

Competitive pay and benefits. Supportive of nurses and their work load. Cares about the individual and respects them. I learned many strong nursing skills that can apply to excellent care.

August 26, 2022
Thank you for your review and your time at VHC Health. We appreciate your contributions to creating the best workplace in the DC metro area and we wish you the best in the next steps of your career. I can be reached directly at VHCexperience@vhchealth.org if needed. -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience

Unorganized, no management, no leadership, greedy company

They don't care about the employees nor the patients, they are greedy and only care about making money out of sick people. No bonuses, minimum pay. They serve dog food for the holidays. They take half your check for the medical health insurance. Unorganized, no management, no leadership, dysfunctional. 80% of the staff they hire are incompetent.

June 21, 2022
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Your comments are deeply concerning and I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this in more detail. Please contact me at VHCexperience@vhchealth.org. -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience

Fantastic work environment. The culture at VHC is what I have been missing in my previous employment. There is respect and teamwork at every turn.

I have recently joined VHC and it is one of the best decisions I have made in my career. During the interview process teamwork, collaboration, and patient experience were highly emphasized, and I have seen and experienced all that was talked about. I am happy to come to work everyday and even stressful days are rewarding. Management is very supportive and my peers are extremely helpful and gracious.

Pros

Work life balance, fair compensation, true to the mission.

Cons

I can’t think of anything negative.

April 25, 2022
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. Welcome to VHC Health™ and we appreciate your help in contributing to our wonderful working culture! I can always be reached directly at VHCexperience@@vhchealth.org if needed. -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience

Management needed more training to help staff succeed

Management needed more training to help staff succeed. Great benefits and decent pay. Parking is a hassle since it is off site.

April 25, 2022
Thank you for your review. VHC Health™ is committed to being both the best Health System and the best workplace in the DC metro area. We are happy to share that all staff park on campus now and, as always, it is free of charge. I can be reached directly at VHCexperience@vhchealth.org and welcome your feedback. -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience

Productive and fun workplace environment

Focuses on patients acquity, provide continuous learning/resources for growth and development, ensuring staffing capability for their employees with good benefits and incentives

March 25, 2022
Thank you for your review and your dedication to the VHC team. We strive to deliver an excellent experience for both our patients and our employees.

Up & Downs but Generally GREAT

I've been there for just about 10 years. For me, it's the people I work WITH not FOR, that keeps me coming back. I love our patient population and my peers. As with any place, upper management leaves much to be desired. Rarely visible but sends out weekly communication emails, a sense of superiority, etc. Whatever, I'm not there to be their friend. The parking is regularly disastrous but, meh. My direct manager is transparent and effective so I have no complaints there. I love working for a facility that isn't part of a big, faceless corporation, though. I am trusted to do my job and I haven't experience micromanagement with my current manager. I am allowed an extremely flexible schedule as a PRN RN and they recently have given PRN's a raise which I appreciate. There are bad times but the good times outweigh them. You won't find a place that is 100% problem free but this is the closest to it.

Pros

My co-workers, improvements with parking being attempted, ease of purchasing cafeteria food with badge, scheduling

Cons

Administration is always meh

November 10, 2021
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am happy to hear that you enjoy your team and patient population. I know what a difference that makes in job satisfaction. I am hoping that you are finding parking to be much smoother with the opening of our new parking garage. The additional 1,600 spaces have allowed us to bring all employee parking onsite and free up more spaces in the main parking garage for our patients and visitors. I am troubled by your concerns about management and would appreciate the opportunity to speak to you in greater detail on how we could better support you in your position. I can be reached directly at VHCexperience@virginiahospitalcenter.com. Thank you for your service to our patients and team! -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience

Good job terrible leadership

Great job awesome benefits….problem in security is overall leadership. The people put in charge don’t care about you or what you may have going on in your personal life. You are expected to say nothing and just smile while they say horrible things about you and when you respond you are reprimanded. You can complain to HR but nothing will be done about. You can meet with upper hospital management but again nothing will be done about it. If you want to work for someone who looks out for your safety abs next interest go work somewhere else

Pros

Pay, benefits

Cons

Terrible management, healthcare stress, toxic environment

November 10, 2021
Thank you for sharing this feedback. I am deeply concerned about this review and would appreciate speaking to you in greater detail. Our top priority is to the safety of our patients and team. Please contact me directly at VHCexperience@virginiahospitalcenter.com to discuss your concerns. I look forward to speaking with you. -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience

Every day is something new

My manager was good to work with and I met a lot of great people. Working in a hospital is different every day. It's hard to balance work and home though because we always need people and the pay could be better. Working 12hr days can be hard on anybody but I did enjoy most of the people I worked with.

Pros

Employee discounts in cafeteria

Cons

30min breaks, expensive insurance, work-life balance

October 5, 2021
Thank you for your feedback. Work / life balance and fair compensation is an important factor in our recruitment and retention efforts, as is making sure you feel valued for your skills, talent and time. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your coworkers and overall culture of teamwork. We do conduct regular salary reviews to ensure we are competitive in our area. Thank you for your time with us and your service to our patients. Best of luck to you in your next career adventure! -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.

Decent place to work at--not the best

I worked for VHC for almost 6 years, and honestly, I don't regret it, but I wish I had left a long time ago. The medical assistants are overworked and lied to when they are hired. They tell them they will work for a certain department and next thing you know you are sent to another department to work at. While I was there, I noticed that this particular hospital goes through many medical assistants, managers, and even doctors. The workplace culture truly depends on the office you are working at. For instance, I worked at an office that was truly toxic and lacked teamwork and team players. The front desk staff are more concerned about judging the medical assistants, talking inappropriate things that patients can hear, online shopping, and so much more--sadly. I feel that no matter how much you have given to a department, you are out if you commit one offense. However, it seems that that goes depending on who you are. There have been staff members that commit unacceptable offenses, and they remain working. In contrast, others have done an insignificant offense and are dismissed regardless of their contribution to a department. The most enjoyable part of working is the bond you create with regular patients and the provider you are assigned to work for. Other than that, this organization needs a lot of improvement and to learn the value of medical assistants, not just the providers. Not to mention, set more zero-tolerance gossip rules.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

poor management and turnover rate

October 5, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am saddened to hear that you did not feel supported in your position and concerned about what you have described above. Our goal is to foster a collaborative and supportive workplace environment for all team members. Would you kindly reach out to me at VHCexperience@virginiahospitalcenter.com to discuss this in greater detail? -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.

Negative Environment

former employee for quite a few years and I must say things have completely changed in a very negative way, In the past few months there have been instances of work place harassment, disrespect and total unprofessional behavior me. I have never witnessed such a negative work environment in my 14 plus years of experience in the medical field. Despite many written complaints to leadership nothing was done. HR needs to be completely replaced with staff that actually will take the time to adhere to employee complaints. Toxic employees upper Management and directors seems to relay on tactics that are cut throat, unfair, and play this political game at the expense of great employees.. Employees seem get away with a lot of underhanded unprofessional behavior which forces it's good employees to leave. I dedicated my time daily to the department juggling multiple roles, with little to no recognition. . No one should have to feel uncomfortable at their place of work .

Pros

Benefits are okay

Cons

Short and or no lunch breaks

September 29, 2021
Thank you for your feedback. I am saddened to hear that you did not feel supported in your position, as our goal is to foster a collaborative workplace environment. While you have moved on to another career opportunity, I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you further about the concerns you stated. We're always listening for ways to improve, and your feedback is important to us! I can be reached directly at VHCexperience@virginiahospitalcenter.com. -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.

Good place to work.

Great pay, benefits are on the expensive side. Employees that work at the hospital cannot park on campus. Have to shuttle from a different garage to campus.

Pros

Pay, great trainers

Cons

No employee parking on site, expensive benefits

September 2, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here at VHC. I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying your work overall. We are pleased to share that the new parking garage will open September 9, providing more than 1,600 new spaces. Staff will be moved to the new garage, allowing patients and visitors more parking in the garages close to the Hospital. Many thanks for your patience during our expansion project, and for all that you do to support our patients and VHC team! -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.

an OK workplace…

I honestly think the hospital is money hungry. I don’t believe that they care about their employees.. They get all these donations & make pretty good money just off the parking garage itself… yet we don’t get any bonuses. If we got a “raise” it would be a few cents. We worked THROUGHOUT the whole pandemic & only received 1 bonus that was TAXED tremendously.

August 11, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share a review. I am saddened to hear that you do not feel valued for your contributions to our patients and team. We pride ourselves on offering a supportive workplace, as well as competitive pay and benefits. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience further and see if there are ways that we can improve your career satisfaction. I can be reached directly at VHCexperience@virginiahospitalcenter.com. -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.

My job title says one thing, but im there everyday doing someone elses job.

I feel like the pay is not worth it. Too many broken promises from management. I'm there every day doing other people's jobs in another department that is not in my job description since 2018 still no compensation nor an advancement in a career. The HR there is not for the employees there only there to get you a one way ticket out the door.

Pros

My schedule

Cons

Pay and management

July 12, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We strive to offer a supportive workplace for our team, and I am disheartened to hear of your experience here at VHC. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience further and see if there are ways that we can improve. I can be reached directly at VHCexperience@virginiahospitalcenter.com. -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.

Good people, pay could be better.

Their per diem rate is not great but the people there are very easy to work with. Easy to schedule for per diem. Good benefits when I was full time.

July 12, 2021
Thank you for your feedback, and for your valuable contributions to our team. I am pleased to hear that you are enjoying your coworkers - we know what a big difference that makes in career satisfaction! I would appreciate an opportunity to speak with you further about the concerns you shared regarding per diem rates and process. We're always listening for ways to improve, and your feedback is important! I can be reached directly at VHCexperience@virginiahospitalcenter.com. -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.

Good Experience but not a lot of growth unless you are a Nurse or Physician

I've had an overall great experience at VHC. The benefits and people are fantastic. My only struggle was that they focus heavily on nurses and there isn't a lot of upward mobility unless you are planning to become a nurse or physician. I tried to make small improvements but was shut down most of the time. You aren't appreciated enough to put extra work into the job.

Pros

benefits, people, HR department

March 26, 2021
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear that you are enjoying our benefits package and your fellow team members! I am available at any time to discuss your career path here at VHC. If you would like to speak in further detail about potential avenues for growth in your position, I can be reached directly at VHCexperience@virginiahospitalcenter.com. -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.

n/a

This place has the worse management ever. The employee's needs are never met. stay far away from this place if you can. on the other hand, they offer great benefits.

benefits

Cons

management and staffing

March 17, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. I am saddened to hear that you do not feel supported in your position, and would appreciate an opportunity to discuss this in greater detail with you. Please reach out to me directly at VHCexperience@virginiahospitalcenter.com to set up a time to speak. -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.

It's a lot.

They want one person to do the job of people. It really impedes patent experience. the pay is there. But all money ain't good money . It is growing hospital though there is room for improvement

Pros

Good PTO

Cons

Short lunch

March 1, 2021
Thank you for your feedback, and for your valuable contributions to our team. We pride ourselves in creating a work environment that is supportive and encouraging. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you further about the concerns you stated. We're always listening for ways to improve, and your feedback is importantI to us! I can be reached directly at VHCexperience@virginiahospitalcenter.com. -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.

Great experience

For the most part I loved my time at VHC. They do try to create a really great culture and the people that work there overall are wonderful and hardworking. Some of the management were toxic but I do think that isn't exclusive to VHC.

Pros

Experience, culture, salary

Cons

Work/life balance; managment

February 7, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We pride ourselves on a culture of teamwork and I am happy to hear that you felt that during your time here at VHC. Thank you for your service to our patients and team, and best of luck in all of your future endeavors!  -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.

Great teamwork. Good culture. Great place to learn.

Staffing had its ups and down which is common with all hospitals, but overall the teamwork helped the days go by smoothly. There is a wonderful culture amongst the staff. I really felt like family with the people I worked with.

Pros

Culture, benefits, staff

Cons

Pay

January 22, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at VHC. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us! We have an incredible culture of teamwork, and we thank you for being such a wonderful part of that. Best of luck in your next endeavor! -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VHC Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

1.5Fairygodboss Score

25%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

25%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss