Via Transportation Employee Reviews

Okay place to work
Job Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PANovember 5, 2018
Okay to work there for a period of time. It depends on the job tasks and people you work with. The work is rewarding and difficult at time. People with disabilities devserve every break possible.
Via Summery
Full time bus driver (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 31, 2018
The training was great and informative I would have to be in by 0621 and be out by 1430. It was a combination of class room and on the job training by being behind the wheel of an actual bus and drive some of the routs in San Antonio.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Full time bus drivers will not have a set scheduled from 6 to 12 months.
Customer Service Related- DON'T DO IT
Partner Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 3, 2018
Via is a cool place to work when you're in between jobs. It's not really a place you can advance or a place to make money. The pay is very low and the work is very repetitive and annoying.

You end up being a punching bag for Via and their Driver Partners, many of which do not speak any English. The company also has a very obvious division amongst both of its offices.

The workers of color work in the Queens office which experience the highest Driver Partner visits and the most harassment from Driver Partners because of Via's lack of compassion for them.

The Manhattan office is run by an all white crew and they have to deal with the least amount of angry driver partners. The Manhattan employees drink beer on Fridays, play light music all day because its so quiet over there, and they even have a karaoke machine because they don't know what it means to actually work or what it means to not have a break from 10am-4pm.

Via also does not hire you directly but they hire you through a temp agency. New employees are now being paid more than what previous employees started off getting paid. This could be a cool place to work and grow if Via cared about its employees and Driver Partners but Via's mission is not to help any individual grow into a professional, instead it's mission is to make money.

This job overall is a disappointment and definitely not what I expected.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
No room for growth
Shady
Current driver (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 27, 2018
DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY.
When you first start for them, they are good. The commission being only 5% at first then increasing to 10%, but with advance notice. Then the mask start to come off. They increased their commission to 12.5% without any notification. The live support phone line is a pure joke. You call and get a recording that says if you have a passenger please send them a text message. So basically they are advocating, texting while driving.

All communication with them is by text or email. The only way you can get a live person is to stop driving and go into their office. Which those people are as dumb as a bag of rocks. Their responses to your text or email are automated. They just add your name and mostly start off with "my apologies or sorry for the confusion". No one really bothers to read what you are saying.

VIA offers 2 ways of earning your pay. Either in flex mode (which you are paid by the ride, so much per minute and mile) or blue mode (which you are paid by the hour).

About a month ago rides to drivers began to be scarce. You could drive from one end of the city to the other without getting a single rider. I went as long as 2 hours without picking up anyone. So then I decided to try out the blue mode. Rides now are non stop. I am averaging over 30 rides per day. They send the rides now so fast it is ridiculous.Going to the airport 2 to 3 times per day. I guess VIA wants us drivers to think that the riders were on vacation and decided to come back once we switched to blue mode. Drivers are now actually putting in more time, driving
  more... more miles and making less money driving in the blue mode. The pay rate in blue mode 20.00 per hour during peak times and 15.00 per hour during non peak hours. if you drove a total of 3 hours during peak time. If you don't do the 3 hours during peak time the pay is then 10.00 per hour. They are slick with this one, because peak hours are 6:30 am to 9:00 am (2.5 hours) and again at 4:00 pm to 6:30 pm (2.5 hours Monday thru Thursday) and 3 pm to 7pm on Fridays. They make sure you are out here driving until evening rush hour if you want to be paid the higher rate. Most people don't want to be stuck in the evening traffic going home so they wind up driving later.

When driving in blue mode, they send you to these so called terminals. where you are to wait for your next ride. Which are normally being parked in front of someone house or a residential area.I try to not sit too long in these areas to avoid the people calling the police. With all the grocery stores and strip malls they send people to these type I'd areas.

Now they have come up with a different way of paying in blue mode. At night you get a promotion sent to you which gives you a different hourly rate each day. So basically everyday, they will be paying you a different hourly wage. This is suppose to be their new way of paying. This also means that in order to make more money you have to be out later at night, because the hourly rates from 4pm until 11:30pm are higher (15.00 to 22.00 an hour).

VIA'a app is another issue also. It has no sound unless you are going thru your bluetooth or have a earpiece in. Without either of these you will be having to look at your phone constantly to see if you have a ride or if you need directions to locations. This was brought to their attention several months ago and still it has not been fixed.

Please don't let me get started on the app sending you down 1 way streets streets and expressway exits that have been closed for over 6 months. The pickups and dropoffs on Michigan Ave. etc. I could go on for hours writing.

Before I go, let me say this they don't care anything about the drivers. Their only concern is about getting more riders. Pleasing the rider comes before the safety of any driver.
Pros
being able to work for yourself
Cons
poor management, lack of knowledge of what is going on in the city.
Good pay, poor organization and management
Driver Support Team (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UTSeptember 18, 2018
I worked in the Driver Support team for Via. During my time there (about a year), my job description went from providing support for the Driver Partners of Via to providing support by email and phone for multiple cities, training new employees, investigating driver partners accused of misconduct by riders, and occasionally firing driver partners for said accused misconduct.
The management structure of Via isn't well thought out and is mostly made of original members of the team when the company could still be considered a start-up. I personally feel that the management aren't all qualified for the positions they are in mostly due to them having multiple issues with employees giving constructive criticism that was originally deemed "encouraged". One example of such, I was given a small promotion and a pay raise, but through communication with other employees I discovered the promotion was not due to performance but to add a buffer between the management and a few "troublesome" employees.
The workplace culture is not bad, I enjoyed spending time at the office. We were allowed casual conversation among each other while we worked and the break room was always stocked with snacks and some simple food items (cup of noodles, bread for sandwiches, etc). The workplace was pretty relaxed most of the time. We would have busy times and would get seriously backed up with the opening of new cities, but nothing that wasn't handled with some support from other teams from other cities.
The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely my coworkers. We all got along well and had a very comfortable
  more... and enjoyable workplace. The hardest part of the job was dealing with management. As stated above, they were disorganized and under-experienced for their positions and mostly maintained their positions due to seniority and favoritism.  less
Pros
Well stocked break room, enjoyable workplace culture
VIA works differently
VIA Driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 15, 2018
VIA picks up and drops off at intersections, much like a bus route. Their commission is higher than Uber and Lyft. Their driver support is more understanding than the other two. In general, opther than a limited service area, VIA is better then the other two for drivers.
Pros
pays attention to drivers
Cons
pay the same rates as UberX
Not suitable for grown-ups
Driver Lead (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 6, 2018
No experienced leadership.
(There is none)
Blurry office etiquette lines.
(People eat cereal for breakfast while helping drivers)
Questionable hygiene.
(Said people don't even wash their dishes. Dishes are left in sink and new hires and part timers are asked to rotate "office cleanup duties" at the end of the day)
Good working area
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  TexasMarch 6, 2018
Good place to work, good pay. Most co- worker were good to talk with. Most supervisors are informative and willing to help drivers when needed. Good up to date in their training.
Pros
Choose your route for your hours.
Cons
Traffic.
having really fun talking to diverse people
Independant contractor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 2, 2018
- pick up and drop off passengers at their desired destinations
- help elderly passengers to get into the car
- have a nice conversation with passengers
- help those who are looking for locations
- smile and trying always to be polite to riders

the hardest part is that some riders do not want to share seats with others.Some want to be speaking loudly over the phone and do not care about others.

the most enjoyable part is that you learn a lot about diversity because you get a chance to meet people from diverse background.
Graet work ethics, and empolyee tretment, and craeting my own schedule.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 15, 2017
A typical day at VIA consits of waking up in the early morning loging into the driver partner app and doing as much time as i saw fit to work. I learened you can have a job you love to go to. Being your own boss was such a great thing for me at times i was hard on myself some times to easy.
Pros
Weekly checks
Cons
constantly driving
Exciting company to be a part of
Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 29, 2017
A typical day at work is collaborative and fast-paced, but my favorite part of the job is the people! I think it's a great place to work with a lot of opportunity to gain responsibility and make a difference in the fast-growing company.
Incredible Company
Employee (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 27, 2017
Via is an amazing place to work - the product is great, the team is smart, the work is meaningful, and we enjoy what we're doing. The company is on a strong path and it's fun to see our hard work pay off!
Pros
great people, awesome product, nice office, interesting work
Interesting work
Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 30, 2017
The company is growing rapidly. A great place to gain valuable skills. The teams all work well together. It is really a family. You feel like you are part of something greater.
It's a good part time job.
Via Transportation Driver (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 30, 2017
Rideshare pooling company that works on the city area, customers and the app is all right, yet needs more polishing on the gps and the option to make rides private, people sometimes want to get to a location without stopping for more people.
The sign up process is good, the background check is a real background check, not a credit card background like Uber or Lyft so your credit wont get a hit when this companies are prying in your credit report.
Soon they will offer airport rides, hopefully this will bring more business, yet is still a new company.
Pros
Open hours, ok bonuses, average rideshare pay, localized service.
Cons
Missing perks of other rideshare companies, like Shell gas rewards, discounts on cell phones, etc. People keep asking for private rides, not everyone like car pooling.
average company
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 1, 2012
cleaned coaches and really worked by myself without much supervision.
Pros
a job
Cons
low pay and bad supervision