Via of the Lehigh Valley Employee Reviews

Very rewarding work, but poor pay
Community Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAMarch 13, 2019
The work is rewarding. The staff and management is great. Schedules can be a little crazy and change last minute. Everyone has a good heart. Pay is poor, but benefits are great.
Pros
Freedom, not stuck in an office
Cons
Poor pay, last minute schedule changes, wear and tear on car
a job that is good for your soul
Community Inclusion Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PANovember 9, 2018
Let me start off by saying you aren't going to strike it rich at this job. That being said, it is an excellent job that pays richly in other ways. If you love helping people, having a flexible schedule, and are good at thinking outside of the box this is the job for you! I spend a lot of time in the car, but that has led me to become familiar with other cities in my area. I love working on goals with my participants and seeing then make progress in doing things that they weren't able to do before. Management is great and I feel that they have really been helpful. Really the only downside to this job is the low pay.
Pros
helping people, being in the community, flexible schedule
Cons
low pay, no scheduled break times
A bit unorganized
Community Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Emmaus, PASeptember 7, 2018
The people you are helping and working with are great it’s definitely rewarding. However the communication with coordinators and staff is very sloppy. Scheduling is all over the place and the miles you put on your vehicle isn’t worth the risk you have to take when you have some of the people who have bathroom accidents because Via will not pay for your car to be cleaned nor get fixed if it runs into problems. Mileage checks only help cover the hours you didn’t get for the month. You’ll notice a lot of shadiness and cowardly behavior with the coordinators and management.
Pros
Working with the consumers
Cons
Wear & Tear in car, unorganized, lacks communication
I would not recommend this place
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAJuly 23, 2018
I worked here for over a year and saw high turnover rates, the pay was not that good, the director of the community employment played major favorites and always talked down to you like nothing You ever did was good enough and blocked advancment opportunities at every chance because they had so many people leaving the department because of them that they didnt want to loose people and i never got 40hrs a week no matter how hard I tried. I was so happy when i left this employer.
Fun atmosphere
Childcare Staff (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAJuly 8, 2018
I loved working with the staff and the children as well as having the opportunity to learn how to accommodate special needs children in an inclusion setting.Also enjoyed all the in services and informative training
Pros
Plenty of resources provided to work with children, friendly staff
Cons
Center shut down due to funding issues
Excellent Work Environment
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAJune 15, 2018
Via truly cares about their employees and participants. Via is a rewarding working environment that allows everyone to make a difference in the community and peoples lives. I would recommend working for Via as there is constant room for growth and advancement within the company.
Pros
Offers extensive training, supportive co-workers and managers, provides tuition assistance, benefits are inexpensive
Get to make a difference
Community Connections (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAJune 7, 2018
Working with my consumers every day is really rewarding. My coordinator is great and gives me support whenever I need it. The pay is fair and the benefits are good at very little cost.
Pros
Consumers, benefits
Gratifying Work in a Collaborative Environment
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAJune 7, 2018
Via does incredible things for our community, and I feel proud to work for an organization that does so much good. The staff is knowledgeable and approachable -- I find my colleagues very easy to work with. Promoting from within is part of the culture, so there is room for growth for those who seek it out.
Pros
Extensive training, supportive staff, collaborative environment
rewarding work
Director (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAJune 7, 2018
I have advanced with Via over the years and enjoy working with my team. The support staff are friendly and helpful. We get alot done to help people with disabilities, and I fell good about what I do. I would recommend Via to anyone looking for a job in the human services in the Lehigh Valley Pennsylvania.
Pros
flexibility and competent staff
Cons
pay could be better, but they give raises
Productive work place with the opportunity for growth
Events Manager (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAJune 7, 2018
Via of the Lehigh Valley shows a sincere interest in the employees and their professional career. Upper management is always available to provide the necessary resources available and give continuous coaching.
Pros
Working to support people with disabilities.
Supportive Work Enviornment
Job Coach (Current Employee) –  Spruce Street BehtlehemJune 5, 2018
I really enjoy working here. My supervisor listens to my concerns and ideas. She is flexible with my schedule and always recognizes me for good work. I feel that the organization cares about me as a person. This helps me be successful in my job.
Pros
supportive work enviornment
Cons
pay could be increased
Employment Coordinator
Transitional Employment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAMay 1, 2018
Via was a great beginning to the start of my career in the Human Services field. Working at Via allowed me to find my niche and fall in love with individuals with disabilities.
Pros
Freedom on the job
Cons
Poor Management
Awful Management
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAMay 1, 2018
There needs to be a revamp of management starting from
The top down. The managers are very clicky, if they do not like you they will make your life miserable and make sure that you leave or find a way to fire you. I hear that they’ve recently given raises, and have upped their baseline pay. Which is great, but it’s still not enough to deal with the terrible management, especially the employment department. They do not teach you everything until you’ve made a mistake and then you get screamed at. The hours are not 8AM-4PM as they say often, you could work as early at 7:30AM and as late as 8-9PM. As long as you get your 35-40 hours a week as full time they don’t care if you’re killing yourself.
Pros
Clients, coworkers
Cons
Everything else
Stressful environment with shady management and higher ups
Student Program (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAApril 4, 2018
The actual work you do with/for your individuals is amazing. Most of the work you do, however, is taken advantage of by your supervisor and management. You will work way more than is allotted to get your work done while supervisors commit timetheft by having a good time and/or not doing work for the organization. Management is shady, pulling stuff over on employees and everyone then finds out. If you want to work somewhere where you can do great things for people and at the same time feel unappreciated, this is the place!
Pros
Self accomplishment, clients
Cons
Supervisors, management, benefit plans for more than yourself, stress
Most unorganized company and lazy catty management.
Community support specialist (Former Employee) –  Office- communityMarch 8, 2018
Theres a reason there is high turnover here and its not the pay. Its the inconsistency and disorganization. They really need someone who knows what they are doing to overlook and make sure things run more smoothly. Managers are a mess and talk bad about other employees. It seems the employees and clients suffer from poor management techniques.
Working environment sucks
Community Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAMarch 5, 2018
At via you get paid very little for all the work they make you do. Management is shady at times. Not so many great employees they literally hire anyone. I think management needs a serious clean up and so does their hiring process. For the higher positions they require you to have associates or bachelors degrees for average paying jobs. It's not worth the hassle and annoyance to work here. Do no recommend!
Pros
Cheap healthcare
Cons
Everything else
Go Else Where
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAMarch 2, 2018
The unprofessionalism runs rampant throughout Via. It begins from the top of the company, and runs down. Many of the managers do not talk to direct staff with respect or dignity, even though we as direct staff are supposed to treat our clients with respect and dignity. In the employment department the coordinators that are currently there act as if going out and covering clients is above them, and they will openly complain about it. You are also micromanaged down to every minute of every day.
Pros
clients
Cons
everything else
Look elsewhere
Community Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAFebruary 24, 2018
For starters, what they advertise online is not accurate. They put $12 an hour and when you get to the interview they say you need a bachelor's degree to get the $12. I don't know too many people with a bachelor's who would work for $12. For holiday pay, you don't get 8hrs like most companies. If you usually work 6 hours on the day of the week the holiday falls on, that's what you'll get. The hours you get are not from 8:30-4:30 as advertised expect to work past 7pm. You are expected to use your personal car and Mileage reimbursement is 45 cents per mile. Expect to figure things out on your own because proper training isn't a thing here at via. after 1 week of "shadowing" you are put out on your own. There is never positive feedback, every week you get a supervision where you are pretty much told how much you suck at your job. I can count on one hand people that have been working there for over a year. Turnover is very high that even the coordinators are doing community supports. The individuals are the best part of the job. If you can look past all the negatives listed, you can find this job to be somewhat rewarding. I hope that this can help someone before they decide whether or not to work at via.
Pros
The individuals
Cons
Everything.
Collaborative atmosphere
Employment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAFebruary 20, 2018
I have been working at Via for the last year and a half. I enjoy my work with the consumers. It is very fulfilling. I have learned a lot of new skills. My colleagues are collaborative, working together to help the people we serve. Most everyone truly cares about the work that we do. This is more than a job. It is a calling.
The hardest part of my job is when I know that a consumer can do more than they see. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you are able to celebrate victories with consumers.
Pros
Great training opportunities, collaborative colleagues and a general feeling that the work we do is important.
Cons
The pay could be better.
Staff does all, management takes credut
Merchandise Associate (Former Employee) –  Nazareth, PAFebruary 3, 2018
Terrible management. They sit all day and all the other workers bust their butts. Minimum wage. Your lifting heavy bags, winter summer. While they watch and complain. No xmas bonus. Nothing. Its not what you think. RUN AWAY FROM THIS ONE.
Pros
No one watches you 7 hours a day.
Cons
Low pay, lifting, filthy