Viacom Employee Reviews

Once a creative collaborative company, now not so much
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2019
I was employed for many years at Viacom. For most of those years it was a great, creative environment. With media companies scrambling to keep costs down, it has become an assembly line kind of job.
Good for new people entering the business looking for experience. The jobs have become very limited in their scope, where we used to work across departments and collaborate now you do your job in a vacuum.
Pros
Great benefits, time off, etc.
Cons
Creativity is low priority
Amazing boss who taught me so much
Administrator, Marketing & Media Operations (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 26, 2018
Accomplished sales and marketing professional with broad experience and recognized success in digital media sales, ad sales, marketing and development. Top performer, with solid achievements in launching products, exceeding sales goals, and improving territory performance. Highly effective leader and team builder in a high performance environment. Attention to detail, strategic vision and creativity.
Pros
team building and mentorship
Was the highlight of my career...until my turn came up in the continual layoffs
Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 29, 2018
Was the highlight of my career...until my turn came up in the continual layoffs.

When I started there were 400 plus in the building. Today there are less than 100, and fewer every year. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.
Prior to the new manager that took over, my career was on a bullet trajectory of success. When the new manager came in, all the duties I loved were dismantled one by one, until my eventual demise. I was in a very female oriented environment watching many of them around me continually promoted.

It's very unfortunate because I LOVED my work at Viacom at one point in my career and I would do anything to have it back the way it used to be.
Pros
City Parking
Cons
Termination
Fun place to work...Depending on Group
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 19, 2018
I love the industry and the company has been a pioneer BUT upper management has a tendency to be hit or miss. While others benefited from flexibility and balance, my group was very sneaky and rigid and did not appreciate employees. There was high turnover and no matter how many times complaints were filed, they were ignored because of who upper management knew and they were buried.
Good place to work with good potential and excellent co-workers
Asset Management / Receiving Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 16, 2018
This company gave me the opportunity, through out the years, to grow in knowledge and develop my skills, they also provided the necessary training needed to accomplish my tasks. It is a fun and ever changing environment with lots of challenges which makes working there a very unique and special experience.
Pros
Good place to work and to grow
Cons
No cons
Completely dysfunctional toxic organization
Product Manager, Content Platform (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 2, 2018
The organization that I was in, a central technology group, was more focused on political gamesmanship and growing individual fiefdom's instead of accomplishing actual work. This is largely due to the matrix managed structure where there is no common accountability across the group.
Cons
Great office space
Amazing place to work. Awesome work life balance with good management. However, Viacom is going through a personnell transition.
Buyer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 9, 2018
A typical work day is busy but relaxed and Viacom has a environment that's all inclusive and team oriented. I learned so much more about purchasing and tax laws working at Viacom. I also learned better time management skills. The hardest part of the job is learning the system and which states are tax exempt for procurement purchases. The most enjoyable part of the job is that it is everchanging and I am still learning something new everyday.
Pros
Great atmosphere, work-life balance, pay.
Cons
Takes a long time to get hired on as a contract worker.
Exciting Company To Work For - Fun Atmosphere
Revenue Accountant (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNDecember 4, 2018
Viacom Media Networks allowed me to be an independent thinker as well as allowing me the ability and freedom to improve processes. It was an enjoyable place to work but it was very difficult to receive promotions.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Ineffective with promoting within company as well as non competitive salary
Corporate Communications Intern
Corporate Communications Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 26, 2018
Really great internship experience. People within the team were willing to help you become your best self. A typical day at work included looking over newspapers for any recent coverage on our programming. I learned how to be a very strategical writer. The hardest part about the job was keeping up with press we were receiving. The most enjoyable part was conversing with everyone on the team on a daily basis.
Fun and challenging place to work
Vice President & Assistant Controller (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 25, 2018
Viacom provided an environment where you could learn and excel.
The people were dedicated to their jobs and genuinely liked working for the company.
The work/life balance could be challenging at times given the demands of the job however there were non-financial perks available to compensate such as tickets to awards shows, department outings, etc.
Pros
Good pay and perks
Cons
Work/life Balance

Want to know more about Viacom?

Ask a question
Director
Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 20, 2018
My experience here was not good. I'm sure management does not listen to advice given, my experience was that they did not listen to any I offered. The Politics here are ALL CONSUMING.
Pros
Salary, Location, Summer Friday, Event Swag
Cons
Broken Culture, Micromanagement, Frequent Change, Sub-Par Retirement program, Lack of Management Support, Politics
Best life experience I ever had working for VIACOM
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 14, 2018
I worked on a show for three months on set for a Viacom company and met some really amazing people. Swag and sponsorships were amazing. PR and after gigs were just a good.

Support from Viacom was above and beyond and I wouldn't trade this time for anything. Thanks and hope our paths cross again soon.
Pros
Free meals, housing, security, clothing, phones, other gigs, interviews
stale place to work avoid
Executive Assistant, Business Development (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 7, 2019
Lacks creativity, very internally political and high up management is delusional . Overall brain drain there aren't that many smart people. People go into their office everyday and just waste time or waste time with internal meetings trying to justify their jobs.
Senior Operations Coordinator
Senior Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Miami Beach, FLAugust 30, 2018
Day to day was managing and dealing with digital deliveries to LATAM clients, at the same time dealing with customer support to our clients. The hardest part of the job was meeting deadlines, and finishing last minute deliveries. The enjoyable part of my day to day were the people I worked with, they made the job appealing and pleasant to work with while having a relaxed working environment while maintaining deadlines. What I learned is that everything you do is being part of a team, you need to manage expectations and sometimes take action when iy is not presented to you.
Pros
Pay, benefits, work environment, people, location
Cons
Management, direction, lack of advancement
Culture focused employee engagment
Grants Manager /C-Suite Liasion (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 20, 2018
Great collaborative environment with a very diverse cultures. Lots of employee engagement activities and events. Incorporated employees thoughts in the day to day work culture and believed in evolving with the times especially social media engagement.
Great place to work due to culture.
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 21, 2018
A typical day working at Viacom will strongly depend on your department. However, as a former Logistic Specialist our days would consist of placing commercials on a specific network on a particular day. I've learned how the sales team and logistics team work hand and hand to complete the process of airing commercials. The culture at Viacom is employee friendly. The hardest part of the job is staying late due to busy times during the year. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people you become close to.
Great work/life balance
Manager, Standards & Practices (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 14, 2018
Viacom provides a great work/life balance. They give employees the time to spend with their family (Summer Fridays, PTO). Salary isn't as comparable to other networks, but the time you have off balances it out.
Pros
gym within the building, Pto, Summer Fridays
Cons
annual income is low
My dream company :)
Executive Assistant to the SVP, Talent Acquisition (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 27, 2018
Ever since I was a child, I wondered what it would be like to work for the company behind some of my favorite shows and films from my childhood and well into adulthood. I was so honored to be offered my position. The culture is absolutely fantastic! There's always something fun going on in terms of events, training sessions, mixers, etc. Also, I was fortunate enough to work with the fantastic talent acquisition team. The TA team is more of a family. It was a pleasure working with them and being able to connect with hundreds of people throughout the organization across all of our brands,
Pros
Fun atmosphere, GREAT benefits, awesome people to work with, tons of events and movie screenings, etc.
Cons
I'd say the only con I have is currently all the layoffs Viacom is currently experiencing.
In the production industry you can't apply the rating questioned since the positions are mostly freelance.
Supevising Producer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 3, 2018
Depending on your position and years in the company, you have great benefits since they have amazing very grateful execs who appreciate your work.

Other than having great management, they have an amazing workplace culture, and everyone enjoys what they do.

The hardest part is the long hours, but with the teams Viacom builds it's like working with family.
Pros
Compensates well
Cons
Difficult to become staff
Great Company
Divisional Chief Information / Technology Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 8, 2018
Viacom was a great company to work for with access to senior leadership. They were an open organization that listened to their employees and welcomed their suggestions and feedback. Excellent at communicating with their employees through newsletters and town hall meetings.
Pros
Cons
Late Culture (late starting the day, but worked late into the evening)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Viacom. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP30%
In the Top 30% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Viacom.

Powered by Comparably