Viacom Employee Reviews

Great Start
Log Specialist (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYSeptember 20, 2017
Viacom is a great start for young professionals trying to break into the entertainment industry. This company is all about the millennials, and serve to have a good work/life balance.
Pros
something new everyday
Cons
low salary
Not great
Executive Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 20, 2017
Viacom is not a great place to work, but it has good people in jr positions. The pay is not competitive, so there is no incentive to stay. Viacom needs to position itself as a great place to work and get rid of old people in the exec seats.
Pros
Great jr talent
Cons
leadership doesn't know how to leverage talent
Fun place to work right out of college
Partner Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2017
Total lack of career advancement but really fun perks. Other than that, no direction from upper management about long term career goals. Would recommend to young professionals looking to start out their career but definitely not long term.
The place you need to be!
Executive Assistant / Special Events Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 14, 2017
The best place to work if you love entertainment world/media. A pioneer in the cable world, Viacom is true to their values, It's a team effort. They really do take care of their employees.
Pros
It's MTV
Nice Place to Work
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 14, 2017
Relationship building should be the goal while working at Viacom. It will go a long way toward advancement. Remaining focused and paying attention to detail are paramount.
Pros
Swag and giveaways
Cons
Sometimes management doesn't understand how much of a workload their staff actually has.
Executive Assistant to VP of Engineering (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 7, 2017
I feel management was supportive and offered opportunities to learn and grow within the department based on your willingness to do so. Please refer to my resume as a perfect example of how I moved ahead.
Pros
Work attire casual but neat, supportive team, good hours and room for growth
Cons
Demands from management although sometimes very needed due to deadlines
Amazing Staff. Learn a lot.
Media Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CASeptember 5, 2017
I was a contract freelancer here. Or rather the ongoing joke is permalancer. For the department I worked in becoming FTE isn't impossible it just takes time. Different teams are different sizes and if you want to become FTE you have to wait for a current FTE employee to move on. That said the work atmosphere was fantastic and everyone was very nice. I worked as a Media Coordinator for the digital post production team and I got to work on all sorts of awesome platforms like Comedy Central, Spike, and MTV. I also got to do a lot of different things week to week. Sometimes video editing, sometime audio mixing, other times actually going to shoots to media mange on site. Learning is highly encouraged and there are plenty opportunities to learn across different disciplines. All in all I really value the time I spent working at Viacom.
Pros
Amazing staff. Talented and incredibly smart problem solvers.
Cons
Pay isn't competivie depending on you're position
Productive and fun workplace
Log Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 20, 2017
Amazing place to work with lots of time off. Great work life balance and friendly co workers. Great place to network with industry professionals. Everyone is super helpful with showing you the job responsibilities.
Good place to Intern
National Sales Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 7, 2017
Good place to learn about the industry while interning in college. Don't have much info regarding actual employment, but I learned a lot through my internship.
a place to work
Worker (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 2, 2017
a place to work with people in the city in a big building that is not as big as some other buildings but still pretty big by regular building standards
Collaborative and Unique Work Environment
Producer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 29, 2017
On a typical day I would report on the status of the various projects I was producing to my direct report and would oversee multiple projects.

The process and culture while there proved stimulating and progressive.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Not Many
Nice place to work
Freelance Associate Producer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 27, 2017
The work was high pace. Never a dull moment. Everyone was willing to help each other. Communication was good. Everyone was respected. The hours were long but management made sure everyone was well taken care of.
Pros
Management cared about employees
Cons
A company with a heart and and awareness of worker happiness
Project Manager Info Sec, Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 24, 2017
Having worked on a set of projects at Viacom, I was pleasntly surprised to be in a company who was sensitive to its workers needs and requirements. When I saw the fountain soda machine and the coffee machine, I thought that I had died and gone to heaven....I could have all the soda I wanted and all the coffee I wanted....without paying, too. Thank you.

Smart companies know that if they make their workers feel comfortable and happy, they will work harder and longer. Happiness pays for itself with higher productivity....smart managers know that and it is substantiated in the psychological studies. Another clear indication that workers are happy and enjoy producing for their company is that the company sees their work as a contribution and the company recognizes that and makes attempts to appreciate their workers' efforts, not only with money, i.e. bonuses, but also with perks, like setting a a mock ice skating rink in the lobby for fun. Viacom did that and it was a big hit.

It was great working there.
Pros
Relatively good pay, and excellent management consideration
Cons
I had to take the subway there
Fun place to work, but lacking in employee benefits
Production Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 11, 2017
Need to offer more staff based jobs for long time employees. Workplace culture is fun and exciting. Lots of parties to attend. Hours are very doable.
Best Internship of My Life
Human Resources Intern, Campus to Career (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 6, 2017
I am a huge fan of Viacom's brands and working there made me feel like all my dreams had came true. Everyone at Viacom is really nice and personable, they genuinely care about you and how you are doing and anything they can help you with. The team I worked on made me feel at home and cared about even as an intern. As an intern I felt that I was making a difference within their department with the work that I helped with. My experience at Viacom really changed my outlook on my personal life and career.
Great place for career growth
Sales Operations Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 28, 2017
WOrked as a Sales Ops intern. Learned a lot from my team and got to do informational interviews. Many networking events and fun comapny events to take part of
Productive and fun environment to work in
Commercial Operations (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 25, 2017
great work to life balance, managers are open helping you learn new things and facilitating your career advancement. the company provides great benefits, as as well a resources to further develop your brand.
Great culture and strong work/life balance
Human Resources Director (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, CAJune 25, 2017
I have worked at Viacom in Hollywood for over a year and love it. Super fun and collaborative culture, cool brands and a nice work/life balance. Always evolving which makes it the kind of place that is never the same day twice. And did I mention the espresso machines and fruit-infused waters? :)
Pros
Free snacks, gourmet coffees, bbqs and happy hours, co-workers
Cons
entertainment doesn't pay as well as other industries like CPG
Compelling work, long hours.
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 18, 2017
It's a very active job that keeps you on your toes and involved in the project at hand. While exciting it has very long hours. Overall it was an exciting experience.
Fun/Competitive work environment
On-Air Promotions Director - MTV Networks (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 13, 2017
MTV is a great young place to work. I've been with the promos department over ten years and every time critics try to write us off we find a way to reinvent ourselves.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Viacom. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2