Viacom Employee Reviews

Experience
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 25, 2018
Fast-paced energetic atmosphere. However, if not careful on can be swallowed whole. It is an environment where if you are paying attention you can sharpen all of you production skills.
Great Starter Job
Development and Programming Coordinator - MTV2 (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 19, 2018
Working at Viacom is a great entry level job, for those who want to cut their teeth in the entertainment industry. It's a great job at a starter level, because you're more concerned with getting in aside and not the lack of benefits, vacation time, pay, or advancement. You do need to leave the company to get a higher title and pay.
Pros
Fun work environment, diverse, can work on a lot of different things
Cons
no benefits, perm - freelance, no staff positions
surrounded by lots of good people
Senior Application Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 18, 2018
My offices were a fun environment surrounded by very open spaces and lots of cool people to work with. Times Square office is very easy to commute to.
Pros
Commute, Media Culture
Cons
Advancement, Job Security
One of my favorite internships
VH1 Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 13, 2018
Walking into Viacom gives you a "I made it sense". It's very colorful, high energy and working in development, everyone really is competitive and are trying to break the next big tv show. I loved being there!
Pros
collaborative, high energy
Cons
can be clique"ish"
Productive fun environment.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 12, 2018
Nickelodeon truly makes the world a more playful place globally and in the work place. Everyday is a beneficial learning experience with handling daily tasks and conflicts at a fast speed.

Viacom offered me leadership and career development opportunities through Employee Resource Organizations and professional programs.
Work Culture
Production Assistant, Nick Jr. Digital (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 10, 2018
I enjoyed the monthly networking events and culture at Viacom. It made up for the stressful workload at times. Also the youthful environment and meeting people with similar interests.
OK Depending on your department
Content & Program Enterprises/Department Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 7, 2018
As of now, it's not a stable company to work for. A lot of people who are an asset to this company are being let go, their workload gets dumped on other departments causing stress
Pros
Cool events, free food
Cons
Not stable
Fast Paced But Rewarding
Intern - IT and IS Department (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10036June 6, 2018
Granted I was only an intern at this office but the job is really self taught (for the most part). I worked with their IS and IT departments operating multiple floors within their 52 floor building complex. When I say self-taught I mean they will work with you to understand how the work flow is but if you are fully capable of taking on task on your own they will treat you as if you are working fulltime there. I got to the point in my internship where I wasn't under any major supervision but I could handle pretty much any task on my own with minimal supervision. Pretty much if you're good at what you do, they will take notice and let you take on task on your own as they become available. I love this. Great place to work.
Pros
Lots of free time if work is done, great management, friendly work enviornment, room for growth
Cons
No time off if you're an intern unless for medical/family reasons. Low pay for interns in IT.
Great company to work at for early career or creative talent
Sr. Director, Organizational Effectiveness (OE) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 5, 2018
Good working environment, but individual leadership and politics make a big difference in the work-life experiences. Very committed people that work hard and play hard. Creativity and self-expression are plentiful and appreciated.
Pros
Mostly Good People, Creative and Fun Place, Inclusive
Cons
Inefficient, corporate politics
My Dream Company To Work At
Creative Services Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 4, 2018
I enjoyed my time working at Viacom - I spent over 7 years working there starting as a summer associate. It was my dream to work at MTV and that dream came true. I enjoyed the culture and everything I learned here. My only criticism is that due to low turnaround, a very top heavy team, getting promoted is not easy nor is getting a salary increase.
Slow improvement roll out
Nickelodeon (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 1, 2018
Culturally ingrained "mean girl/gossip girl" mentality. Men and women. There will be no change if executives don't shift the culture with the clique-ish behavior and promoting gossippers, and even participating themselves.
Pros
reduced prices for food
Cons
diversity issues, and micro-managers vying for relevance
Fun Place to intern
Special Events Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 25, 2018
I interned at Viacom my senior year of college and the people are so friendly and willing to help you learn because they truly care about you and want you to enjoy the work you do.
Very cutthroat and no appreciation or loyalty
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NY 11788May 23, 2018
I was there for 18 years and I've seen all sorts or questionable practices going on there. There is virtually no room for advancement and no one really appreciates the time and effort you put into doing your job, they will tell you that they do but it doesn't show in compensation. There are so many projects to complete but most of them are under funded and have ridiculous deadlines. I would not advise anyone to work there, believe me, I was there a long time so I know the truth.
Pros
vacation days and some perks such as merchandise
Cons
low pay and no career advancement
production and fun workplace
Supervisor, Post Production, Media Operations (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 18, 2018
a typical day at work was enjoyable, fun and productive at the same time, but can be stressful at times. the workplace culture is beyond excellence. the most enjoyable are the staff and environment.
Pros
fun and enjoyable place to be everyday
Cons
it can be stressful at times, but fun place to be
Fun Atmosphere and Culture
Digital Library Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami Beach, FLMay 15, 2018
My 9+ year tenure was an experience with some of the best brands in television. The best part of my job was getting to work with amazing people that felt like family each day.
Pros
Yearly perks, company parties, benefits.
Cons
Difficult Career Advancement
Great Experience
Software Quality Assurance Lead (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 15, 2018
Great Experience with one of the largest media companies in the world. Technologically advanced, but times are changing with the recent news. Promotions/Career advancement are hard to come by.
Good working environment
G/L Code, Account Developer (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNMay 15, 2018
Temp. Only - friendly environment. I worked as a temp but the working situation seemed to be good for regular employees. Nice building and contemporary setting. Often provided meals for special occasions.
Great workplace
VH1 Programming & Scheduling Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 12, 2018
It was great! Great environment. There was not a single mean person that I met. My supervisor was kind, and helped me learn what it takes to fill a full-time position.
VIACOM went out of business
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Margate, FLMay 9, 2018
Went out of business with the video rental industry. I moved to Kentucky when I noticed how the industry was changing. Was a fun job while it lasted.
Good place to work but no security
Social Media Assistant- Project Based (Former Employee) –  NYC, NYMay 8, 2018
I started at this company as an intern and eventually got hired full time. Company has tons of turnover, only a few get promoted while full teams will be let go
Pros
Good events and food
Cons
No growth

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Viacom. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight