Viasat Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Google-esque corporate culture
Employee (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAOctober 16, 2018
Fun place to work; supportive of active, healthy lifestyles and work/life balance; business casual to casual style; highly intelligent, forward-thinking, creative employees.
Quick Paced job and a lot of room to promote and work overtime.
Corporate Call Center (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COOctober 15, 2018
I worked with some amazing people. Management at the time was not ideal . My supervisor was amazing but our boss at the time treated woman unfairly. I had felt singled out many times and my boss was treated unfairly.
Pros
A higher starting wage and a lot of overtime.
Cons
High stress and unreasonable deadlines for amount of work given.
Great work & people
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  RemoteOctober 15, 2018
Worked Remotely
Learned a lot, company focuses on your learning
Working at building products for future, leading the industry
Great and friend people.
Field Applications Engineer (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAOctober 10, 2018
Great experience and excellent managers. Upper management always provided clear objectives and status of current business. Dedicated employees and great technology.
Great culture
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAOctober 10, 2018
I got stuck under a poor manager. In general, it's a great company to work for. Viasat is growing a lot and there's lots of new positions available. Culture is good too.
Good company to work for
NETWORK SOLUTIONS ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 27, 2018
It is a relax company with a laid back culture. They invest time and money in their employees. Plenty of advancement opportunities. Overall good management.
The alternative for Rural Customers
Telephony Operations Lead (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 3, 2018
In my tenure ship with the company I've learned many skills, systems, process, but all did not compare to the most import part, which was taking care of the customer. The customer experience with the products offered was my focus, therefore I made sure that I was able to resolve customer issues quickly fort he customer and efficiently for the company.
Awesome Place to work!
Computer Operator (Current Employee) –  RemoteAugust 28, 2018
Viasat is a great place to work and grow! It's a fast growing company and it is evident in the work place. So, there's some restructuring going on so the people are in the right roles needed as Viasat grows.
Just plain lousy place to work.
Technician (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZAugust 4, 2018
Not a good place to work. Low pay, lousy managers and no upward mobility. The good side was that coworkers were loose and friendly and culture was pleasant. Allowed flex hours, basketball games. Manager never listens to new ideas, and puts the blame on you for their incompetence. If they want you out they will devise a plan to get rid of you.
Pros
Lots of free food and drinks. Flexible work hours.
Cons
Low pay, below average management.
Meh
Engineer (Former Employee) –  CarlsbadAugust 3, 2018
Has its good and bad points. Pretty good suite of tools you need to get the work done. Some very cool tech. Some very good people. Good benefits.

WAY too many lower and middle managers, a lot of whom do not know anything, or very little, about engineering.

About 20% of the managers have quite immature attitudes.

Pulled in LOTS of directions at once. More engineers and techs focused on fewer tasks/problems would alleviate a lot of technical problems.

Most mgrs better at short term redirects of blame than coming up with long term solutions. Perhaps their management doing the same to them? IDK.
Incredible culture and employees treated well
Quality Assurance Intern (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAAugust 1, 2018
Viasat has an outstanding culture and treat their employees very well. They give so much opportunity for growth. The one complaint I have is that the majority of the projects have a ton of ambiguity that sometimes seems excessive. Other than that, I have no complaints.
Really smart and good people to work with
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  COJuly 28, 2018
Most people that i work with are very smart and team players. Very casual work environment and little hierarchy. I would recommend it for most positions, but some departments are managed from the home office in Carlsbad and elsewhere in the country which can be a challenge.
Pros
Casual, friendly, team oriented
Cons
Remote management, sometimes some really long hours
Thoughts
Antenna Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAJuly 16, 2018
When I started at Viasat, I was very happy and content with what I was doing. Through the years I expressed interest of wanting to at least try doing something else, which fell on deaf ears. Today I'm very disillusioned .
Cool technologies. Benefits are very good.
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJuly 13, 2018
There are quite a few good engineers and developers to learn from. The ideas and solutions really are smart even if not perfectly executed.

Typical day is putting out "fires" that could've been prevented weeks, months, or even years before.
Very "clique-y", lots of politics. Way too many sub-par managers.
Pros
Very good benefits
Cons
My management: VERY Immature, self serving, obstructionist (or just indecisive?) non-engaging, non empowering.
Great company
Senior Test Engineer (Test Engineer III) (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 6, 2018
I enjoyed my brief stay at Viasat. I was able to learn Perl and met some really great people.

The culture encouraged personal growth and gave reward for you accomplishments.
Pros
Great culture
Vilest aerospace company to work for.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJune 25, 2018
First off let me say that Viasat will try to lure you into their company with the "culture" they promote. They try (unsuccessfully) to model after Google, but they fall flat and hard, much like their hierarchy. They are ineffectively trying to translate their business into an aerospace manufacturing business. This sounds appealing to someone with solid experience because the potential for growth appears to be evident, but it is not! Viasat has an internal reputation for extreme nepotism! You can be an industry expert and lose out the opportunity to advance because they liked someone’s sister more than you and promote a person whose experience is mainly working at a juice kiosk and you have plus 15 years in the industry. They’ll lean on you for continuous process improvement solutions but will railroad you if someone doesn’t like you and steal your ideas.

Working at Viasat has hands down been the worst professional experience of my career. Stay away from the Tempe location! You would quickly realize they do not use production management effectively, no planning is utilized, no efficient production schedules are put in place, no automated processes. They are not ready and will not be ready for what they want to do.

I am writing this to warn incoming professionals that this is not a place you want to work at. You will regret it.
Pros
Medical, holiday, vacation
Cons
No autonomy, no career growth, below industry for pay, too many to list
Great Place!
Accounts Payable Administrator (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJune 24, 2018
Loved working here even though I was just a temp. Learned a lot and it helped me advance into other careers that I had been looking to break ground in.
Pros
On site food
Cons
Sometimes there is drama among team members
Technology Obsessed
Director, Sales and Business Development (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJune 11, 2018
No doubt, a technology focused company with good technology in-house. However, the company has chosen to compete in a particularly bloody market. Not very structured - no objectives, loose organization, etc. Good in some ways, but counterproductive in others.
Dynamic progressive environment
Network and Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 18, 2018
Excellent company if you want to work on the latest technology with the latest software tools with great team spirit and can-do attitudes. Nice perks - good insurance and 401K plans, free coffe bar, snacks, weekly raffles for good tickets to local sports teams, etc.
Fun place to participate in an internship.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAMay 14, 2018
I had a nice internship experience at ViaSat. The intern coordinators were friendly and helpful. I learned a lot and would like to intern here in the future