Viasat Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Just plain lousy place to work.
Technician (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZAugust 4, 2018
Not a good place to work. Low pay, lousy managers and no upward mobility. The good side was that coworkers were loose and friendly and culture was pleasant. Allowed flex hours, basketball games. Manager never listens to new ideas, and puts the blame on you for their incompetence. If they want you out they will devise a plan to get rid of you.
Pros
Lots of free food and drinks. Flexible work hours.
Cons
Low pay, below average management.
Incredible culture and employees treated well
Quality Assurance Intern (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAAugust 1, 2018
Viasat has an outstanding culture and treat their employees very well. They give so much opportunity for growth. The one complaint I have is that the majority of the projects have a ton of ambiguity that sometimes seems excessive. Other than that, I have no complaints.
Really smart and good people to work with
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  COJuly 28, 2018
Most people that i work with are very smart and team players. Very casual work environment and little hierarchy. I would recommend it for most positions, but some departments are managed from the home office in Carlsbad and elsewhere in the country which can be a challenge.
Pros
Casual, friendly, team oriented
Cons
Remote management, sometimes some really long hours
Thoughts
Antenna Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAJuly 16, 2018
When I started at Viasat, I was very happy and content with what I was doing. Through the years I expressed interest of wanting to at least try doing something else, which fell on deaf ears. Today I'm very disillusioned .
Cool technologies. Benefits are very good.
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJuly 13, 2018
There are quite a few good engineers and developers to learn from. The ideas and solutions really are smart even if not perfectly executed.

Typical day is putting out "fires" that could've been prevented weeks, months, or even years before.
Very "clique-y", lots of politics. Way too many sub-par managers.
Pros
Very good benefits
Cons
My management: VERY Immature, self serving, obstructionist (or just indecisive?) non-engaging, non empowering.
Great company
Senior Test Engineer (Test Engineer III) (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 6, 2018
I enjoyed my brief stay at Viasat. I was able to learn Perl and met some really great people.

The culture encouraged personal growth and gave reward for you accomplishments.
Pros
Great culture
Vilest aerospace company to work for.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJune 25, 2018
First off let me say that Viasat will try to lure you into their company with the "culture" they promote. They try (unsuccessfully) to model after Google, but they fall flat and hard, much like their hierarchy. They are ineffectively trying to translate their business into an aerospace manufacturing business. This sounds appealing to someone with solid experience because the potential for growth appears to be evident, but it is not! Viasat has an internal reputation for extreme nepotism! You can be an industry expert and lose out the opportunity to advance because they liked someone’s sister more than you and promote a person whose experience is mainly working at a juice kiosk and you have plus 15 years in the industry. They’ll lean on you for continuous process improvement solutions but will railroad you if someone doesn’t like you and steal your ideas.

Working at Viasat has hands down been the worst professional experience of my career. Stay away from the Tempe location! You would quickly realize they do not use production management effectively, no planning is utilized, no efficient production schedules are put in place, no automated processes. They are not ready and will not be ready for what they want to do.

I am writing this to warn incoming professionals that this is not a place you want to work at. You will regret it.
Pros
Medical, holiday, vacation
Cons
No autonomy, no career growth, below industry for pay, too many to list
Great Place!
Accounts Payable Administrator (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJune 24, 2018
Loved working here even though I was just a temp. Learned a lot and it helped me advance into other careers that I had been looking to break ground in.
Pros
On site food
Cons
Sometimes there is drama among team members
Technology Obsessed
Director, Sales and Business Development (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJune 11, 2018
No doubt, a technology focused company with good technology in-house. However, the company has chosen to compete in a particularly bloody market. Not very structured - no objectives, loose organization, etc. Good in some ways, but counterproductive in others.
Dynamic progressive environment
Network and Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 18, 2018
Excellent company if you want to work on the latest technology with the latest software tools with great team spirit and can-do attitudes. Nice perks - good insurance and 401K plans, free coffe bar, snacks, weekly raffles for good tickets to local sports teams, etc.
Fun place to participate in an internship.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAMay 14, 2018
I had a nice internship experience at ViaSat. The intern coordinators were friendly and helpful. I learned a lot and would like to intern here in the future
Excellent place to work!
System Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAApril 23, 2018
I have worked for ViaSat inc. for 1 year. it is an excellent place to work! Colleagues are highly skilled and cooperative. Assignments are challenging and exciting.
Unstructured
Corporate care customer service (Former Employee) –  Englewood, CO 80112April 11, 2018
Viasat would have a lot of potential but unstructured atmosphere pitted with a oblivious and unhelpful management team cause numerous setbacks. Communication is also lacking as the left hand never seems to talk to the right. Pay is decent but no incentives cause disgruntled employees as the workload does not match the pay.
Pros
Fun employees
Cons
Bad management team/ lack of training
great place to work
Facilities Telecom Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAApril 11, 2018
The culture a ViaSat was and is about creativity and excelling at what you do best. The people in management are supportive and the benefits are top notched.
Pros
people and deulture
All about the department
Desktop Engineer (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAMarch 26, 2018
You experience will depend on the building and department you are in.

My experience is not typical and not everyone had a situation like mine. I was unintentionally placed in a lose-lose situation that was really no one's fault.
Pros
Culture is A+++
Cons
A bad manager strips away all opportunities at ViaSat
Amibtious company
Manager and software tester (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COFebruary 22, 2018
Ambitious company with lofty goals. Good benefits and pay. When I was there external dependencies, an emphasis on waterfall development, and ISO 9000 standards limited productivity.
Productive and fun place to work in a great area
System Test Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAFebruary 18, 2018
Very relaxed atmosphere with flexible work hours. Lots of room for advancement in a variety of different fields and locations. They often cater food for events after successful projects.
Bad management
RF Technician (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZFebruary 12, 2018
I would not recommend ViaSat. They pay low for the amount of work they expect out of you. Management has their favorites and you have to be a part of the good ol' boy club or they will kick you to the curb.
Pros
basketball and snacks
Cons
too many
great company
GCC Engineer (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAFebruary 9, 2018
great culture and great company the atmosphere is amazing. the company really cares about its employees. they give each employee plenty of time to train and get settled in on the job.
Just an o.k. job to work at
Layout Designer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 4, 2018
These people took every opportunity to berate you as an Engineer and a person. The design reviews were just totally out of control. The Engineering manager believed the software distributor before he believed in Mentor Graphics for fixes.
Pros
Open work Hours
Cons
Management Issues