Viking Cruises

Viking Cruises Employee Reviews

Viking Cruises insights

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Overall, good place to work

Overall, Viking is a decent place to work. They do pay fairly well, and provide compensation for working from home and additional costs one might incur as a result. Training was good, but not long enough. There was a lot of information that needed to be gone over more in depth before hitting the phones. The information is accessible, but can be cumbersome and clunky to locate. That is the single biggest issue, the resources provided are plentiful, but that does not always make it easy to navigate. There is a process in which you can call a help desk for clarification or help, but at times the attitude provided by those co-workers is far from pleasant. I would love to be a sales agent for this company - the product offered is phenomenal. I do not enjoy being a service agent.

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits

Cons

Non-stop calls; very little support with getting questions answered

Management is ignorant

False advertising on the job posting for sales. They have unfair ways of comparing a new salespersons #'s vs employees who have been there for many years with an established client base. They do not compare apples to apples. They put unnecessary pressure on newbies by comparing their performance to established representatives who get customers calling them on their inside line & making sales that way. HORRENDOUS EXPERIENCE THIS COMPANY IS THE DEFENTION OF MICRO MANAGEMENT

Benefits

Cons

Ignorant management team

Very Stressful Environment

Overall I did not enjoy the work experience I had with Viking Cruises. I felt overwhelmed by the constant policy changes that were thrown at us and they give you no time to collect your thoughts or get a moment to breathe between your calls due to the extreme high call volume.

Pros

Camaderie between coworkers. Free lunches before remote work started.

Cons

Very frequent policy changes, extreme high call volume

Do Not work here

We were lied to since day one about our compensation. It wasn't until after our Month long training they revealed the comp plan. I made them $860,000 in sales my first month. My comission was $1,200. All of the people i started with left. Also, the California office has a better comp plan and is payed substantially more. We were lied to about that as well. Once this was discovered they said it was because of cost of living. No comparison for that to be a reasonable answer. HUGE waste of time. Also this happened during the Holidays. After working so hard, that was my measly check. If you are a true sales professional, avoid this place at all costs. Highway robbery. Classic bait and switch. What they did to us shouldn't be legal. People have families to provide for.

Pros

Nice Office

Cons

Pay

Toxic work environment

Easy interview process, which is more of a red flag than anything. They do not care to set up employees for success. High turnover rate. Points system if you take any sick time. No positive reinforcement. Employees are completely isolated from one another, but managers expect a thriving work culture regardless and do nothing to facilitate this.

Job seekers rely on your experience.

Too Stressful

Management does not care about you and they only care about surveys. It is a numbers game to them and the Supervisors play a game every month to see who can be the winner. The only good things are the benefits and the hours.

Pros

Benefits and hours

Cons

Too micro managed not really room for growth

Extremely Toxic Work Environment

Extremely toxic work environment. They make you do the job of three employees and they always find your faults as to not give you a pay increase. The company does everything not to uplift their employees. The company takes care of its guests but not the people who are in the call centers or in any other department for that matter. There is no diversity in management outside of the call center. There are no African American managers/directors/Vice presidents/Chair members in any other part of the company. The turn over rate is insane here. I will be leaving soon and it’s time to tell the truth about this organization!

Benefits

Cons

Mental Health

Extremely fast paced call center environment, with the ability for rapid promotion.

Good company to work for depending on what department and position you eventually settle into. Departments to stay away from are air, inside sales/group sales, and outbound sales. These departments have poor implemented standards, impossible work load demands, and unsupportive management. The reservations department is the most developed department with ample opportunity for advancement, strong leadership, and professional management.

Pros

Decent pay, great benefits, room for growth

Cons

Heavy work loads, poor communication between departments, disorganized marketing implementation

High Stress Work Environment

You are interviewed by three supervisors and a hiring manager in a conference room. Once hired, you start training which takes a month. You'll essentially be learning about the itineraries and geography and be put into groups amongst your training class and take quizzes, tests, and class projects which you must pass in order to start the job. in other words, if you don't pass the final test you will not start the position. Once you start the position you will realize the training you received is for the sales position and not your customer service role. You should have been trained in using the system software, policies, and Surveys as your position will focus on the three. One of the most stressful parts of the job is the Surveys, You have to ask each caller to take a survey and meet the daily metric numbers and stay at a percentage to make the end of the month goal. Hang-ups, Transfers, Call drops due to faulty equipment, System crashes which happen frequently all count and drop your numbers. Travel agents are also aware of the surveys and will use them against you if you can't get payment extensions, policy exceptions made for their clients. Survey numbers also affect your schedule, every six months there's a schedule change and depending on your numbers you can get stuck with a 12-9 pm schedule. Surveys also matter if you want to apply for another internal position. Time Punches, Calls, Breaks, Lunches, Sick time used, PTO requests, Bathroom requests are all micromanaged. Policies are updated without notice on a weekly basis, with no meetings or downtime to retain the information -

Pros

Benefits, Company Lunches, Co workers

Cons

Micromanagement, Management, Surveys, Policies, System software, Travel agents, Guests, Office politics

Enjoy the work and co eorkers

Training program is excellent, team leads are great, before Covid they always provided food, things changed and a lot of micromanagement and not much positive feedback

Pros

Fun leads, great customers

Cons

Bad management

Great company

Great benefits and great people to work with . It’s micro managed but only to help you succeed and work on areas of improvement and to push you and stay motivated . I learned a lot, something new everyday . Very organized with trainings , Great bonuses , had a free cruise 🚢 as well.

Pros

Monthly end of month lunches

Horrible

Restructure the management team and properly train employees to do the job you hire them for. Stay consistent with the policies. Use more of positive reinforcement. Come up with a better way to rate your employees other than a survey that is inconsistent and irrelevant to the purpose of the call

Great pay and awesome product to sell

The potential to earn $100k+ every year is definitely there. If you take a ton of calls and KNOW the product you’ll get there quick. Unfortunately, they have very little tolerance with regards to certain policies. What may seem innocent or just a slip of the mind can really blindside you when you’re suddenly terminated for it. But stay the course and do what you’re supposed to do and this ends up being a pretty legit gig.

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, easy sell

Cons

Micromanaged x10

Great product, but too harsh

Micromanage much? And definitely provide feedback on flaws, very discouraging. Training was 100% online and we never got to listen to a call before getting on the phones.

Pros

Health benefits

Cons

Negative and confusing work environment

Productive and fun place to work.

The training is rigorous but NECESSARY. The Trainers were absolutely amazing and COMPLETELY KNOWLEDGEABLE! Training is offered constantly because things change constantly in travel. To be the BEST it starts with what’s been instilled in you. I absolutely loved working for this amazing company. I learned so much in geography. To sell a destination you have to know the selling points. If it hadn’t been for COVID (which affected the cruise industry) I’d still be there.

Pros

Free lunch’s, travel benefits, commission payout, training

Cons

I can’t think of any

very against remote work

Very high-volume call center, with wealthy clientele screaming at you about a policy they agreed to but didn't read. Policy changes frequently. We were allowed to work remotely during covid but plan on removing this option for *most* employees as quickly as they can. Other companies offer remote options.

Pros

great benefits

Cons

tiny raises (if any), lots of stress

Great benefits, but poor management and culture

A typical day is sitting in front of your computer to answer any inbound calls. When you get a call, you are to close a sale or service your existing client. In between, you are answering emails, attending meetings, etc. If you do not reach quota, management will place you in several meetings and ask you what you are doing wrong instead of looking for strategies to improve the situation. Because of COVID, rules became more restricted as micromanaging increased. Rules & procedures changed constantly which was understandable, but we, the agent, had to deal with upset guests without any management support. In addition, they (management) will always find something wrong which will add to the list of reasons as to why they are letting you go. This is to mask the fact that they really had to layoff due to COVID.

Pros

Free monthly birthday bagels and first-of-the-month lunches, great benefits

Cons

Micromanaging, Management doesn't acknowledge their own mistakes, lack of management support, poor company culture.

Great product and benefits.

Was the job of my dreams. Got laid off due to Covid. Now they are hiring again and won’t even give me another chance. Came 2nd in my training class and never had any complaints from the travelers once placed out in the live environment. Was very thorough in my job and loved helping my guests get the flights they were looking for. Hard to get questions answered through management and was always told to call the sup line. Asked a question about if Easter was considered a paid holiday in the chat and was told that was an inappropriate question and needed to contact HR in regards to my question.

Pros

Healthcare, benefits, always providing free food

Cons

Managers, help when needed

Fun place to work

Nice place to work. Learned a lot and happy to be part of Viking. Money is good and I make people happy because I provide the best cruise that they will ever have.

Pros

Free cruises

stressful envirmonemt

very stressful, they require each salesman to sell over half a million a month depending the department you are in. Management is okay, they do have lots of training but fail to listen to the employees

Pros

lots of free catered food

Cons

very stressful

Stay away

Horrible horrible place to work, if you want a job with high anxiety levels this is the job for you , you get hired then need to take a test to keep your job , Managers listen to every word you speak with customers and daily hassle you about what you spoke with them worst then the CIA. Managers speak down on you like your nothing. God help you if your late one min

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Short breaks, rude managers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Viking Cruises. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.6
InHerSight Score
2.2Personal Development
3.4Career Opportunities
2.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight