Village Pantry Employee Reviews

Good workers to work as team players. Just not enough of them
Deli Manager (Current Employee) –  Muncie, INApril 14, 2018
To much for the few ppl we have. They are bullying the works with no positive feed back all negitive. Boss is never around to help with issues just over the phone. And wont show u what to do
Pros
Free pop
Cons
Not enuf time to finish what they want. And ask u for o.t. and then get in trouble for it.
It was an alright job.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Peru, INApril 4, 2018
Management was terrible but the people who worked there were sweet. You never had trouble with any of the employees. Everyone was sweet but management.
Pros
Paid breaks
Cons
Unpaid lunch
Good for gas but not for employment
Donut Maker (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, INApril 3, 2018
I was criticized when I should have been taught how to do my job more efficiently so I could have been more productive in the time I was there instead of feel like I was outcast for being new and when I was reprimanded I wasn't corrected or presented with ways to make my job flow easier so I could meet the time allotted for my job description
stressful
Cashier and 3rd key Assistant (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INMarch 21, 2018
dealing with customers was a challenge , some heavy lifting when truck arrived with merchandise, some employees were willing to help when needed, most of the time only one person ran cash register, short on employees was the hard part of the job
Pros
interaction with customers
Cons
worked most of the time by yourself
Poor place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, INMarch 15, 2018
Very hard to keep employees I was working 60+ hours a week.. store took forever to get back in order and fully staffed . District manager didn’t care about anyone getting any sleep he demanded that I pull a double shift along with part of a third.
constantly busy
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fairmount, INMarch 15, 2018
I work third shift at village pantry and you are constantly busy. Job gets really repetitive after awhile. You do the same thing day after day. Being back in the kitchen is better than being on the register. Being in the kitchen isn't as boring.
Pros
good hours, decent pay
Cons
drama, repetitive work
Worst Job Imaginable
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INMarch 13, 2018
Horrible management and environment. I was the youngest so I was treated like an absolute fool. Often times I was instructed to do things I had not been trained to do, then be punished for not doing it right.
Pros
Cons
Back breaking work for title to no pay
Room for advancement
Manager (Former Employee) –  Marion, INMarch 13, 2018
Village pantry was a great place to work and advance. I worked there for quite some time and was promoted several times. Manager training is available as well.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Long hours for management
NOt a good place at all
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Marion and Fairmount, indianaMarch 8, 2018
When GPM Investments took over, everything went down hill fast. Their corporate Management would come ask questions and tell us they were out to terminate certain district managers and if we didn't help them we would be terminated as well. I had a terrific District Manager, but when she fell ill and was in hospital, corporate did their dirty deed of trying to get false accusations from us store managers, many were terminated along with the DM.
Pros
Cons
Everything the company stands for is a pack of lies.
Fun workplace
chashier (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 2, 2018
I loved my coworker I worked with almost everyday me and her became really good friends but everyone that works there is friendly i would go back and work there again ur always doing something so time goes really fast and that a big plus for me
Pros
My coworker
Cons
No one
It had its pros and cons
Gas Attendant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INFebruary 19, 2018
I was responsible for many situations at the store. I had to do cashier,security,clean,and tend to vendors for 7.25 an hour. Management wasnt best but I loved my job and was very good at it. I had family and financial issues that caused me to leave. I was offered higher position but at the time wasn't old enough so it was given to someone less qualified than me. I was pretty much training my boss. Rules are rules and as long as I can provide for my family and enjoy my job even on bad days im fine with whatever I must do to get my job done as efficient as possible.
Pros
The interaction with others
Cons
Managment
Depends on day
Shift Leader/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, INFebruary 15, 2018
There are days like most places that weren't bad. Depending on who I had to follow for the day depends on how my day was going to go. There are a few lazy people that would just rather stand behind the counter playing on their phone instead of actually doing any work
Pros
my boss would give me days I needed off actually off, and she worked around my schooling
Cons
lazy people
Overworked. Under paid. Most stores are not up to par and are constantly searching for new employees due to high turnovers
Manager (Current Employee) –  Shelbyville then MorristownFebruary 12, 2018
Stores pay minimum wage for cashiers. Not enough for the job they are required to do. Turnover is high and the company only cares about the bottom dollar.
Pros
Free fountain drinks while on duty
Cons
Long hours no overtime pay
Hard work for little pay
Cashier/Asst. Manager (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INFebruary 9, 2018
Worked long shifts by yourself while also handling constant restocking problems. Never truly felt management helped team members achieve goals. Changed store managers every few months.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Poor training, Lack of commitment with store managers
awaking experience
cashier (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INFebruary 8, 2018
It was ok to work there, it was only part time. Job was demanding on some of the aspects. Got to meet interesting people and coworkers were nice. The only negative thing I could say was they did not have schedules, job duties or money management was done on time or properly.
Pros
meet new people
Cons
to stressful
Great job
Asst. Manager (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INJanuary 27, 2018
The job was fun something new and exciting could happen any minute, never had any major issues when working. The huge downside was upper management showed too much favoritism when it came to complaints from inside or outside the store not heading warning about shady activities being witnessed.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
shifts could be as long as 16 hours
Family like atmosphere working with the public
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Muncie, INJanuary 22, 2018
During your shift at the Village Pantry you are responsible for being on time for your shift. After arriving clock in, and communicate with coworkers to see how the day is going and if there are unfinished task for you to assist with. Be sure to obtain the correct paperwork to start shift, log on to register, count drawer, and begin designated tasked. Customers always come first, be positive, and up beat.
Horrible
Baker (Former Employee) –  Fishers, INJanuary 9, 2018
The management was awful, I was promised full time hours and ended up getting about fifteen hours a week. Coworkers were rude to the customers and were poorly trained
Its slow pace and aggravating sometimes and barely 40 hours per week
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Marion, INJanuary 4, 2018
I'm a cashier and sticker! I do lottery tickets and other customer service as needed and I clean the store as I work through the night and I work alone and a little scared if I get robbed at gun point or whatever
Pros
No free lunches
Cons
No breaks
assistant manager
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Richmond, IN 47374January 2, 2018
this place started out being a good place to work for until it came to the point of people calling off and as the asst. manager it would have to cover for anyone who called off. even if I just worked a 10 hour shift.