Village Voice Media Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
Fun and exciting workplace
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 8, 2018
Pioneered the first telecommute operations management position, leading a team of 93
home based content moderation employees.
Successfully appealed VISA in an attempt to sever our payment processing contract saving
our company $1,000,000 in annual revenue.
Reduced charge-back ratio 65 % by introducing new credit card fraud detection standards.
Improved the quality and safety of website through subpoena compliance and
collaboration with the FBI.
Loved this job!
OPERATIONS SUPPORT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 10, 2016
It was a great company to work for, I enjoyed my time there. Great employers and employees. Fast paced work place. Variety of job duties!
Pros
great office atmosphere, friendly employees, savvy employers
Cons
Bad timing on my part for relocation.
Fun place to work
Multi-media Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 10, 2014
As a multimedia account executive, you are responsible for researching prospecting and attaining new clients daily for multi-media marketing and advertising, and creating multi-platform campaigns from start to finish.
It's a fun job, but often times very stressful. I'd say about 75% of the job takes place on the road, cold-calling and knocking on doors.
I loved the social aspect of working with The New Times-- there's always a tweet-up and happy hour and never a dull moment.
Pros
Freedom to plan your day, great staff and sales team, great parties/events
Cons
Demanding and stressful, too much driving, It's a tough sale.
Great Place
Payroll/Human Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 9, 2014
Village Voice was a great place to work for. Offers career advancement and a great work environment.
Work hard, play hard.
Advertising Sales (Former Employee) –  United StatesFebruary 26, 2013
Top performers are compensated well. Not much work/life balance is encouraged unless you are already a top performer.
Pros
event access, free swag, happy hours and team outings
Cons
management is very hot and cold.
One-time contracting gig
Featured Contributor (Former Employee) –  Internet-basedFebruary 5, 2013
I had direct feedback from the site's then editor, who advised what changes needed to be made to fit the site's writing style better and to fit the audience it was aimed toward. All feedback in a helpful, collaborative way.
Pros
friendly, helpful editor
Cons
wish it were permanent!
A Great Balance of Fun and Hard Work
Support (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 1, 2013
It was a great place to work with a lot of great people, both talented and genuine, who were and still are a second family to me. I learned a great deal about leading by example, accountability and consistency.
not bad
Dallas Observer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 7, 2012
Good company, some were out of reach of what went on there. Co-workers were great.
Pros
media
The joys of marketing in New York City
Digital Marketing/Promotions Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 1, 2012
Every week I am at an event, promoting for the Village Voice. It is a joy to be a part of something so flexible and free, although I do sometimes crave the daily workings of a traditional workplace. The people I work with are people who will be in my life for a very long time, lasting friendships are made and my supervisor does her best to make sure that our work is comfortable, yet task-filling.
Pros
free events, networking, meeting people who will possibly be an asset in my future.
Cons
short or no breaks, small check amounts