VIP Petcare Employee Reviews

Amazing mission but communication is a struggle
Manager (Current Employee) –  USAAugust 12, 2018
Overall I enjoy VIP Petcare. However, upper management and Corperate structure make it very hard to stay committed to the company. Communication is the biggest struggle and is known throughout the company with little effort to fix it. The room to advance are for a select few, and their is a big learning curve. You will want to have some sort of pet experience before applying for a management position. It will help you and the team you end up managing tremendously. The flexibility with this company is very good and the benefits are great.
You have to be open to change to make it in this company, and suggestions are not always welcome. It comes at you like a ton of bricks with little adjustment time. Management is a salary position and it is taken advantage of consistently. Expect to be on call 24/7 and to work about 60+ hours a week.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Poor management, constant change
Good place to work if you only want to wor saturday and sunday, flexible with school
Clinical Assistant, Cashier, Rig Supervisor (Former Employee) –  District Heights, MD 20747August 9, 2018
on Saturdays and Sunday's are typically the long days were you will work up to 12 hours a day, maybe even 13 depending where you travel, it's a lot of driving. During the week, which includes Tuesday through Thursday, are only about 4 hours. But the work load includes picking heavy objects that may weigh over 75 pounds, driving all day long to 3 different locations. work vehicles are provided and gas cards. Management is poor and only worry about themselves. This company focus more on the money aspect than there actually customers.
Management Sucks
LEAD VET TECHNICIAN/SALES REP (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 4, 2018
The people in charge, aka the managers, are just trying to make their lives easier. They will be your "best friend" until you make one mistake then they will make you dread coming to work. Pay is good but not worth the atmosphere.
Not too bad if you need a little money
Veterinarian (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 15, 2018
The pay isn't too bad, no benefits as you are an independent contractor. The staff is not well trained but management is usually supportive on how you want to practice. They also let you hand out your own business cards if you want. The worst thing is when they make you have the clinic outside but most of them near Cleveland are inside.
Pros
You work when you want
Cons
Long hours, don't always get the route you want
Great place!
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAJuly 12, 2018
I've been working at VIP PetCare for a week and it's been phenomenal so far. All of my coworkers are incredible and it already feels like a big family. All of the training is paid, all of the travel time is paid- pretty much any time you spend at the office or in company vans you're supposed to be paid for it. Management so far is exceptional. I feel like they really and truly care about every person that gets hired for that office. Staff meetings are fun and very informative. The atmosphere is very upbeat and everyone there is constantly striving to do better and help each other learn. There is tons of room for advancement and raises. Loading and unloading the van really isn't that much of an issue, they teach you all about van care and how to do it and what's easiest. And for a starting/foot in the door kind of job- it's amazing. My first few days there I learned several things about animal handling and preparing vaccines. If you bring in your pet to the in-house clinic trainings or nail trim trainings, the services are free and a great learning experience. All in all, I see myself at VIP PetCare for quite a long time. Amazing people, rewarding jobs, and entirely positive. .
Great job to get your foot in the door
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 11, 2018
Many things wrong with this company. I’ve watched coworkers quit from being emotional abused and cry on shift. When managers were told, no one was in trouble or written up and they were told to not do it again. I’ve watched it happen to 4 coworkers and they left the following week. There is constant promotions with the higher up people so you never know who your boss really is cause it will change in a month. They screw lower level employees on pay and hours to make more money for higher ups. My job and many more were affected and they didn’t listen to our opinions on what can be changed to make things work. This is a corporation company so you can’t expect much. Benefits are terrible! They give you the bare minimum on health benifits and call it good. They hire many vets that don’t care and are just there for the quick pay check and don’t have interest in the pets over all health cause they are told if the vets make a certain amount of money the vets get a really good bonus. Sick dogs and cats getting vaccinated etc. so they can get another $80 or more for their bonus. There are still vets that you can trust and respect but the other vets just ruin it for everyone else. These are just some of the big ones there is a lot more that can be said.
Pros
Help you get your foot in the door. Decent pay.
Cons
Money money MONEY is all they care about. That’s it
Enjoy my coworkers
Technician (Current Employee) –  LouisianaJune 28, 2018
Sacrificing every weekend with long hours is hard especially when not paid very well and no incentives to push products. No way to really move up and absolutely no benefits or PTO. Great for student or people passionate about our team and animals.
Could be better
Rig Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cranberry Township, PAJune 28, 2018
It is hard to balance work and social life with this job with working all weekend. The co-workers are not that nice either. My managers were nice though.
Very nice
Clinical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 13, 2018
Nice place to work. Hiring manager and other managers were very nice and helpful. The job requires you to travel a decent amount but you get paid to travel so it is worth it. Would still work there if I hadn't been in a bad car accident that hurt my knee. Heavy lifting is required.
Easy well paid job
Clinic Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 1, 2018
This job is extremely easy because your day is about 11 hours and only 4 and a half are actually spent working; the rest of that time is spent in the van traveling to the other clinics for the day. This job pays well and there are many opportunities for raises or promotions. The only thing that sucks is loading and unloading the van 6 times a day.
Very good company to work for.
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAMay 28, 2018
Work mostly weekends & have advancement opportunities for each employee if you want that. When i worked there we had sales competitions so you cpuld earn bonuses & extra income.
Great Job. Poor staff management, and poor management
Vet Tech, Rig Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 23, 2018
At first this job was great. Getting further into it the managers only cared about making revenue and getting money. There was one manager who was always great about being about the pets. The other two managers were very forgetful and sometimes did not seem to care. Don’t let them fool you. There’s drama and stealing and harassment and I worked there over a year. Teamwork is little to none. I was considered “part time” and got no benefits but was working 78-82 hours before they cut everyone’s hours. The managers are only there to make money. Rig supervisors were receiving emails about pushing sales harder so that we could all get our bonus. That’s not what this company should be about.
Pros
Travel, great pay
Cons
Short hours, no teamwork, theft, extreme drama, poor management
Management is severely disorganized but the coworkers are fun and supportive
Rig Supervisor, Cashier, Vet Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLMay 21, 2018
This job is a great way to get your foot in the door with veterinarian work. The management leaves much to be desired but overall when you are out at clinics its a fun puppy filled day. Long hours but half of the day is spent driving in a van with your crew. I've been able to challenge myself to be a better supervisor, sales person and vet assistant. Learning about the products and vet medicine is part of the fun.
Pros
great scheduling for students, reliable crew, learn about veterinary medicine
Cons
disorganized management, miscommunication, empty promises
The team & pets makes the job worth it
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 17, 2018
I’ve been working for VIP for 3 years. It’s very fun playing with the animals and making sure that they are protected with vaccines and preventative care. 4 days on a paycheck doesn’t seem worth it, but you make more than your ordinary job working less days.
Pros
Animals, pay, work-Life balance
Horrible Management
Rig Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 8, 2018
I loved my job here but felt disappointed in the management that I received.
I worked there going on 3 years and was offered multiple promotions but they never followed through with them.
All in all it was a great company to work for however their Field Operations Managers were all horrible.
I met two district managers and the CEO who were all extremely nice and intelligent.
I would've loved to stay if the management at my office would've been better.
Pros
Great coporate team, great pay, excellent opportunities
Cons
No benefits, difficult management, harassment, hardly no training.
They don't care about you
Clinic Assistant (Former Employee) –  San AntonioMay 7, 2018
This company does not care much about their employees. They are a corporate company that will do anything to keep brand image, even mistreating employees. They will fire you in an instant, I've seen many of my coworkers be fired for minimal things and even for the first time getting in trouble. Management is inexperienced in company, and when you are experienced and try to move up in the company, they will deny you the possibility. Very contradictory. You will often get no lunch breaks, you work all day both weekend days, and if you are only part time you only get 29 hours or less and no benefits. It is very difficult to get full time. And if you are deserving of a position they will give it to someone who does not deserve it. Also, they do not pay you when they are supposed to after being terminated.
Pros
get to work with cute animals and educated vets, once full-time you get great benefits
Cons
no lunches, poor management, little advancement opportunity
nice learning opportunity
Clinic Supervisor (Former Employee) –  DCMay 5, 2018
-a typical day: get to the warehouse early in the morning around 6am, preparations are very important for a smooth day
-learned a lot about the field
-fantastic coworkers who are passionate about the field
-most enjoyable part of the job is the coworkers, nice customers, and super cute animals.
Pros
*fantastic veterinarians *fantastic coworkers *fantastic learning opportunities
Cons
early hours
great place to learn but do not stay
Clinic Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 1, 2018
When i started here it was a mess of a work place but it did get better but when the company sold out to mindless bean counters ( sold to the public share holders ) They are cheap and cutting back which does affect our job every day. Most of the supplys are broken and useless . Management is out of touch and has no understanding of our struggles everyday.
Pros
learn on the job then get out
Cons
no life
Great place to work!
Rig Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wixom, MIApril 30, 2018
I worked here for almost 2 years and loved it, our office is one big family and we all helped each other out when needed. Our FOM was the best manager I’ve ever had, she’s always there for everyone and goes above and beyond her job duties to make everyone feel welcome. I loved the time I worked at VIP.
Pros
The staff, traveling
Cons
Good job for students, standard customer service job
Clinic Assistant (Former Employee) –  GAApril 29, 2018
If you're looking for something that will fit your school schedule it's great, since part time employees only work weekends. Long hours depending on where you get sent- may work anywhere from 25-30 hours in a two day span. If you want a life on the weekend this isn't for you. It's physically strenuous as well. You have to lift heavy equipment a few times a day, and sometimes you end up having wrestling matches with 100+ lb dogs on concrete floors. If you go on busier runs it's quite possible you will not get a lunch break on sometimes 15 hour shifts. It's a pretty standard customer service job, focused on making sales to clients. I will say, the corporate side of things is getting out of hand. They just got bought out by a pet pharmaceutical company, and it's becoming way too big and greedy.
Pros
Good vet field experience, cool coworkers, kittens and puppies, good for students.
Cons
Bad management, greedy company, sometimes no break, long hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VIP Petcare. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight