Play YouTube video button

VIPKID Employee Reviews

Featured review
VIPKID selected this as a representative review
One of my favorite jobs!
Online ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Prosper, TXOctober 5, 2018
I absolutely love VIPKid. I love that I can pick my schedule, work while everyone in my home is sleeping, and building relationships with children around the world.
Great work place
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  PANovember 16, 2018
VIPKID is a great company to work for. I am a stay at home mom and now have the opportunity to earn money while caring for my children in the home. I'm so glad I found this job.
Love it!
One-to-One English Tutor (Current Employee) –  Duncanville, TXNovember 10, 2018
Great flexible, part time position. The curriculum is great and the company is serious about using teacher feedback. Join a facebook group for great community and teaching ideas!
Pros
Flexible, great students, great management
Fun workplace, but not enough hours
ESL Teacher Online - At Home (Former Employee) –  InternetNovember 3, 2018
Unfortunately because of the time zone difference in China and US, I could not do enough hours to live off of. I did enjoy teaching the kids and being able to be as creative as I wanted to be. It was hard to keep some kids engaged in the lesson, if they were too young.
Great pay, tough hours
Educator (Current Employee) –  OnlineNovember 1, 2018
The pay is fantastic with plenty of opportunities to earn bonuses. Unfortunately, you work during Beijing time and it is contracting (you have to get booked, nothing guaranteed). In Missouri/Oklahoma I worked 4am-8am (they do not participate in Daylight Savings so this fall it would be 3am-7am). Another pro is during the weekend there are a lot more "hot" times to teach than during the week.
Very good job for the right fit
Second Language Teacher (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 30, 2018
Great way to make money for someone with a background somewhat related to teaching who is in need of a very flexible job. Great 2nd job or for a student.
Be your own boss!
Teacher (Current Employee) –  homeOctober 25, 2018
Contract work teaching children in China how to speak English. This is the best job ever! I set my own hours, (early morning because it's on Bejing time). I choose which days I work and the kids are great. The lessons are already preplanned. You just log on and start teaching. One to one contact with student/ teacher. I have repeat students every week and I am their favorite teacher. It is such a rush to have so much fun with these kids while they learn English. I work from home and when I want to travel, I pack up my computer and few teaching pieces (props), and teach wherever I am.
Pros
You are your own boss. The pay is actually pretty good. A fun job
Cons
No benefits due to being contract labor, Must pay own taxes so be prepared, Early morning hours aren't for everyone, Teacher no shows to class can count against you
Love VIPKID as a part time job, particularly their flexibility and progressiveness of the agency.
English as a Second Language Instructor (Current Employee) –  RemoteOctober 24, 2018
VIPKID is stellar in my opinion when it comes to serving the teachers. They are very progressive, utilized the teacher's input often, and gives praises often
Pros
Flexibility, Children, Great teacher community, Great part time job
Cons
Prepare to work late nights (weekends, holidays) for more money..
A Great, Part-Time Job for Stay-at-home moms
Teacher (Current Employee) –  United StatesOctober 23, 2018
I'm an at-home mom and also home school, and I needed something that would allow me to devote time to my children and also earn a little extra money. For that reason, VIPKID has been a dream come true. No, I would not be able to support myself on my earnings, but I also work less than 15 hours per week. I have heard of people making a living at VIPKID, but they had to work seven days a week, as well as in the evenings on weekends. I want a life as well as an income, so I limit my schedule.

For a job with no commute, that you can do from home on your computer in a t-shirt and pajama bottoms, this is a great gig. The kids are adorable and mostly well-behaved. The company provides a ton of free training.

On the downside, you do have to market yourself, as you are chosen by parents who look at your bio and introductory video. There is a huge learning curve, but I enjoyed (and still do enjoy) the challenge of it all.

The best job I ever had. I highly recommend it.
Pros
Flexible schedule, work at home
Cons
No benefits
Casual teacher at VIP KID
Teacher (Current Employee) –  TexasOctober 22, 2018
I began here about a year ago when I was in grad school as a way to earn money while I was interning. It was tough to get bookings at first. Honestly it was alll trials at the beginning and they would hardly show up! I started to get some bookings, maybe 2 or 3 a Day. Then I graduated and got a job and basically stopped. I had to leave my job recently so I picked back up with the company and it was completely different! The minute I opened I was completely booked from 4:30 - 9:00 if I wanted! Then I began to get 5 Apple reviews and it was even better!! I’m booked weeks in advance now, something I thought only happened for those on the YouTube channels giving our referral codes. It may not be amazing money for everyone but with incentives added on for starting and ending on time and sign ons I am able to pretty much pay my bills which is a blessing because I’m only working in the morning and have the rest of the day off! Pay my bills working like 4 hrs a day, yes! It is definitely like part time money but if you want freedom or just extra cash and can devote some time to reviewing material and can be energetic I definitely recommend it! I really enjoy it and p.s have yet to have an issue with the company or receiving pay which is good.
Pros
Freedom, minimum work hours for pt pay, work from home, culture is fun
Cons
Tech issues can be a drag, work hours if you aren’t a morning person.
NO work, lots of effort to get hired but then nothing
Teacher (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaOctober 17, 2018
I put so much effort into getting hired for nothing. I never got a single booking. They give lots to some people, and none to others. To some extent it makes sense but to some extent it's a mystery and they lie about it officially. They say that it take 2-4 weeks for an average teacher to get a single booking but can't explain why some people are booked from day one and others get nothing or almost nothing for a long long time. Your American/Canadian mentors know little about this process. Youtubers who were booked from day one, say that's it's all about your first two weeks. They promote your profile at first and then downgrade you if you get nothing. They say that it's the parents who are booking you, that's the official line but it's BS. At the very least they put your profile on top or on the bottom. But many people say that the company books for trial classes - the ones you get when you start. And even those rock stars admit that they have referred great people that did everything they could and still got nothing. So my advice would be hit the ground running if you are going to do it, but don't expect anything, and don't waste your time for too long or expect to get honest answers from anyone.
Pros
Cons
If you do everthing right, and are LUCKY you'll get work, otherwise NOTHING
Flexible hours
English Teacher (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAOctober 15, 2018
Great company to work from with competitive pay. Worked from home in the mornings hours and chose my own hours and days of work. Very organized way of booking classes and easy to open and close time slots. Love the flexibility of this job.
Fun place to work
Teacher (Current Employee) –  MSOctober 13, 2018
I am currently working for them. I work 3 hours a day and make 21 dollars an hour ( I was a teacher with a master's degree). I love it because I'm retirement age and there is age discrimination in this country. I was unable to find employment after moving to a small town. VIPKIDS saved me from filing bankruptcy. I wear pajama bottoms, save money on food, gas and clothes because I work at home. The kids are awesome and I love it!
Pros
Work from home, great pay
Cons
No benefits
Legitimate Work from Home Job
English Teacher (Current Employee) –  Saint George, UTOctober 13, 2018
VIPKID is a great job that you can set your hours of availability for. If you enjoy working with children, it is a really fun job. You need to have a Bachelor's Degree and the interview process is completely virtual which was a new experience for me. I have done it for over a year and I really like the control I have. I create the atmosphere and I am able to govern myself in teaching Chinese children English. It is fun when you are able to get to the point of having simple conversations with your students and their parents. I feel like I am learning just as much about my students and their culture as much as I am learning about them. The hardest part about the job is getting out of bed at 4:30am to be ready for class by 5am.
Pros
flexibility and pay
Cons
very early morning hours
Vip kid
Teaching Consultant (Current Employee) –  Home based on lineOctober 10, 2018
Working for VIP KID is a lot of work for very little pay, but it is rewarding. The perks include the ability to make your own hours, but the downside is that to mesh with Asian hours of demand, you have to be working from mid-night to six am--which is difficult.
Amazing Opportunity for those living Abroad
Teacher (Current Employee) –  VietnamOctober 8, 2018
I would never do this job if I lived in the States due to taxes and odd hours, but for those of us living abroad, it is a dream come true. I live in Asia so my teaching hours are close to the timezone of China. Also, because I am living abroad, I am eligible for a tax exemption bringing my taxes to only 14.1 %.

The job is flexible and easy. I have taught every lesson a dozen times and so I no longer need to prep. It is nice to just jump on and teach.

I know many teachers have a lot of props, a fancy background, and large whiteboards but I do not do this, instead, I use a program called "Many Cam" for props and whiteboard (the kids love this). So with that program and a proper 4G data plan, the job is extremely portable. In my 1200 parent feedbacks, I have never had a complaint about this.

I am fully booked and teach 7 hours a day and 10 hours on the weekend. Every month I take about 7 days off for travel and bring in roughly $3000 after taxes. I take a lot of vacations, but I am still able to save about $14,000 a year from this job. (Note: living in Asia is far cheaper than living in the States).

Their support has actually been very good for me. If I have had any problems I just submit a ticket and I have never had any complaints yet with this.

The work is fun and flexible and allows you to have control over your life.

My biggest complaint is not having an option to decline students. I have some students who I don't enjoy teaching and I wish I had more control over who can book my classes.

So in conclusion, this job is not for everyone but if you live
  more... abroad then it is a terrific option for freedom and savings.  less
Pros
Good pay, flexible work schedule, fun
Cons
Is only good if you are living abroad
Salary paid was not what was promised.
Online ESL Teacher (Former Employee) –  Kenai, AKOctober 4, 2018
Promised a particular hourly rate, then later it was changed to based on the number of classes taught for the month. Unforgiving during family emergency for cancelled class.
Love this job
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Vista, CAOctober 3, 2018
The amount of hours you get is up to you and the children who are booking you. Some have a hard start but after 2 month it gets better. Pacific time zone work hours are not great but it is doable.
Pros
own schedule, fun, work from home
Cons
work hours, canceling class will have a penelty
Do not recommend
Teacher (Former Employee) –  RemoteSeptember 28, 2018
I completed a contract with this company and had to interview again to be renewed which seemed ridiculous. The interviewer was incredibly rude and dismissive. She insulted me and my teaching style, then tried to lowball me, despite my high rate of turning trials to regulars, and the many poach attempts I had already thwarted from other companies. It was so disrespectful as I had never experienced such an inability to communicate effectively, or even kindly to staff. She made me as a teacher feel highly replaceable and unworthy despite a successful teaching record with young students for over 10 years. The final straw is that there is no room for growth despite the presence of many teacher managers or trainers, the opportunity to join this elusive club is not shared widely with everyone making it hard to apply. I ultimately left for another company that is way better and promoted me multiple times in the past year after noticing my initiative. That's the kind of place you want to work for (it had a US home base), not this China owned company. The VIPKid contract is also really terrible for contractors. $20/hour base pay is not guaranteed unless you are perfect, and that is up to them to decide. Read it.
Pros
nothing. pay was too low for my state.
Cons
poor contract, low pay, poor management, zero upward movement, weird hours
Great at home work.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  HomeSeptember 27, 2018
If you are in between jobs, this job could be great for you. The money is good but there are no benefits, insurance, or retirement plan. Probably not something which I would consider a career -- just a job.
Flexible Work from Home Option
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Lithonia, GASeptember 27, 2018
This is a great job for stay at home parents, travelers, or anyone else looking for a work from home job that pays decently well. The kids are a blast to work with (and I didn't have a ton of experience working with kids before)! You can set your own schedule, but you typically end up working early in the morning or through the night because of the time difference. You are a contractor so there are no benefits, and it can take a while to get regular bookings, but it is different for everyone. Overall, a great option with flexible hours and the ability to work from anywhere.
Pros
good pay, flexible schedule, fun
Cons
no benefits, can take a while to get bookings, odd hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VIPKID. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.9InHerSight Score

3.7Personal Development

4.3Career Opportunities

3.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight