VIPKID Employee Reviews

Teaching was great when you could get the classes
Second Language Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 17, 2018
I loved the actual teaching part of this job. The curriculum was pretty good for the most part. I left because they overhired and getting classes with so many teachers was really tough. I started working at 4:00 a.m. and would often have cancellations and no-shows. The classes required much preparation ahead of time for the younger children and by the time I figured up all the time spent on that as well as the paperwork after class, the pay was pretty low.
Productive and a fun work place
ESL TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 16, 2018
In this job you have to be able to manage your own schudle. You have to make sure that you are self motivated and able to change to your surroundings as needed. The most enjoyable part of this job is being able to make a difference with your students and able to connect with them millions of miles away.
Pros
Work your own time
Too demanding
Teacher (Former Employee) –  MississippiSeptember 12, 2018
I have worked for other tutoring companies but this one is over demanding in the early phases when you haven’t even made any money. They want your backdrop, headset, and rewards in the Mock Class but they act as if you don’t need it but they criticize you for it.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Too demanding
Flexible hours
Online Instructor (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 11, 2018
Competitive class bookings and relaxed work environment (home)

Payments were monthly

Paid Referrals

Technical support when needed

Friendly interview
On the cancellation policy:
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Home BasedSeptember 2, 2018
I don't usually review companies, but I was curious what people are saying about VIPKID. I saw that there's some misinformation on here, so I wanted to clear some things up.

First of all, the attendance policy IS strict, but it's not "six classes." I think people are confused about this because the wording in the contract and in the information pages is a bit confusing (I was somewhat confused for a while, too). Every three classes counts as one cancellation. HOWEVER, you can only have two cancellations in one day. In other words, if you have 15 classes in one day and cancel all 15, that counts as two cancellations, because each day is limited to two cancellations. If you have 15 classes and cancel 4, that counts (I think?) as two cancellations, and if you have 15 classes and cancel three, that counts as one cancellation. Cancelling a single class in one day also counts as a single cancellation. Now, that's still a strict policy, because if you teach several classes a day and cancel three days straight, then yikes, that could easily be all six cancellations. And I guess if you cancel one class here or there on six different days in a contract, then yes, that would amount to six cancellations, but most people don't just cancel a class here or there. If you need to cancel all your classes in a day, you can and get 1-2 cancellations, which is my point. Also, with every new contract, the cancellations roll over. So if you cancel four classes, then you get a new contract, you have six new available cancellations.

On top of this, you can apply for a soft or a medium cancellation
  more... and the cancellation won't count towards that policy. For instance, I had to cancel three days of classes during Hurricane Irma. VIPKID processed the soft cancellation and the cancellations did not affect my contract.

That being said, it's still a pretty strict policy inasmuch as, if you ask for a soft/medium cancellation, you will probably be asked to provide evidence, such as a doctor's note (which would be a medium cancellation as per VIPKID's policy). Considering the situation with healthcare in the US, that's a bit stressful if you "just" have flu. I wasn't asked for any evidence when my power was out due to Irma, but in a routine power outage, I might need evidence.

I have a love/hate relationship with VIPKID's strict policies. I have heard some horror stories of people with real issues who needed cancellations whom the company didn't treat so well. Sometimes I think this was a miscommunication of one hand not knowing what the other was doing, since I've seen follow-up stories of some of these people receiving their soft/medium cancellation after a bit more follow-up with VIPKID. But the whole system can probably feel a little cold at times. For myself, the strictness of the company has been a net good. It's increased my disciplined and endurance. I've woken up at the early hours required for this job and thought, "I can't do this," and knowing if I could cancel willy-nilly, I probably would. But I can't, so I push through it. And I've been amazed and proud of my own perseverance and of the discipline I've developed through my self-employment.

Beyond that, I could write essays about VIPKID, because teaching here really is an experience that varies a ton. For me, it's been amazing for the most part, but there have also been some incredibly stressful episodes. The kids are fantastic, but the early morning hours are hard. I was hired in October 2016 and have been teaching on the platform for just under 2 years. In that time, I've made about $55,000, varying my hours/schedule depending on how/when I wanted to work. My expenses are on the lower side, but the job has been excellent for paying off some of my extra debts. Some people make a lot of money with VIPKID and some use it for side cash. Some struggle to get booked and some have all the bookings you could ever want. It's a VERY variable job and so it's hard to encompass in a single review.
Pros
work at home, awesome kids, rewarding work, provided curriculum
Cons
no benefits, pay your own taxes and pay extra, stressful hours (I'm on EST)
Very disappointed in this company
Teacher (Current Employee) –  TexasAugust 29, 2018
After over 40 years of teaching, a masters degree and Teacher of the Year, I received a contract and after four weeks I still have NO
students.
Cons
Too may hoops to jump for absolutely no help in connecting to students.
Fun and flexible
Online English Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bejing, ChinaAugust 26, 2018
VIPKID is a great company to work for, they try to be as open as possible with all employees. They have strict rules about class cancellations but that is cultural. Facebook groups are key to success. Working hours are centered around Bejing, China time, this can prove to be difficult.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Working hours
VIPKID is fantastic!
ESL TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 25, 2018
It is an independent contr5acting job, so no benefits, but you 100% control your schedule. The kids are amazing and so much fun to work with. When things go wrong, the IT team known as firemen are there quickly to resolve the issue ASAP. I have nothing but positive things to say about them!
Pros
everything
Cons
contract job
A good environment to be a part of.
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  RemoteAugust 17, 2018
VIPKID is a company that is doing its best to help Chinese youth learn English. Parents want them to learn the correct pronunciations thus this is a company dominant in foreign teachers. It is a fun thing to be a part of. The students, for the most part, are a joy and are always worth teaching. The only downside is the hours.
Fun and relaxed work schedule
ONLINE ENGLISH TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Jupiter, FLAugust 17, 2018
I love working for VIPKID because I get to work from home and stay with my children. I also make up my own schedule which is a plus for me. They are an organized company so it is less stress on the Teachers.
Pros
It is a positive environment for Teachers as well as kids.
Cons
We get paid once a month
Vipkid
Online English (ESL) Teacher / China (Current Employee) –  Remote via internet connectionAugust 17, 2018
I teach English online to Chinese children, ages 3-13, between the hours of 12am-8am, M-F. The classes are 1:1 and last 25 minutes. In the last 365 days, I have taught 1,907 classes to 632 students.

This type of teaching platform has required me to practice precise time management in order to complete each lesson while meeting the course objectives. I have also been able to expand and hone my ESL teaching skills by teaching so many different lessons to many different children.

The company is very large yet they have consistently addressed any concerns I have voiced in a timely manner. VIPKID pays on-time via direct deposit and I have appreciated their dependability and consistency. The teacher's portal allows for communication with the company and the parents. Being my own manager is a perk. I have enjoyed creating my own workplace culture and being able to individualize my lessons to the needs of my students.

The teaching hours were initially a bit of an adjustment, however, I do enjoy the flexibility of setting my own scheduled work-days and times.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the children and their families. At the end of a lesson, I often hear, "I love you teacher!", which stirs my heart and transcends the miles and distance. I have been introduced to babies, puppies and grandparents and welcomed to participate in celebrations like birthdays and Chinese New Year. Teaching for VIPKid has been a rich experience as well as a privilege. It's the next best thing to actually teaching there.
Pros
VIPKID is an dependable company which offers a high quality of services.
Cons
The time difference between America and China means I have to teach during the night.
The perfect part-time job for a mama!
English Teacher (Current Employee) –  RemoteAugust 16, 2018
I've been with VIPKID for over a year and a half now and it has absolutely been the perfect job for me! I started when my babe was about 6 months old - just a few hours a week. Now I teach 2-3 hours a day and can afford to stay home with my son the rest of the time. My bookings are excellent now (95% booked rate usually) so I can teach when I want. The company has always been very quick to respond and helpful when I have questions. The "firemen" (IT staff) are also quick and helpful in the classroom. I love my students and could not ask for a better remote job really (living in Spain). I also love being creative with my students and making fun props, rewards, etc. It's what you make it! :)
Pros
remote, flexible, fun, creative
Cons
no benefits, paid time off, etc.
part time
TESL Teacher/ Independent \Contractor (Current Employee) –  Monroe, LAAugust 14, 2018
I used this job to make money while my children slept. I paid well and allowed me time with my children. The classes are intense and you must show a lot of energy.
You must try your best to make it work for you
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 14, 2018
All teachers with VIPKID are independent contractors. However, parents often select teachers based on looks not experience. Just do your best to get all your certifications and badges and to promote yourself in your profile. Do not get discouraged if your bookings are inconsistent.
Pros
Can work from home
Cons
Extreme bias in selecting teachers.
good job for night owls
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Work at HomeAugust 10, 2018
This is a good job for people that are able to stay up late or get up super early.
Company can be difficult to communicate with due to time difference and language barriers. Booking can be very difficult because they have hired too many teachers. You have to focus more on how you look and how great of a show you can put on to entertain these kids to get bookings.
Pros
good pay
Cons
hours, communication with company can be confusing, bookings difficult, stressful interview process
Stressful, You bear the risk when they hire more teachers to expand their market
teacher (Current Employee) –  at homeAugust 10, 2018
If you are desperate, then you might consider this job as a last resort. This employment is unreliable at best. They regard you as an independent contractor and you are paid by the number classes you teach. You might have a student, then sit there, unpaid for an hour, teach another, then maybe another sometime later. They have extremely rigid rules about being 'on time' to class, yet they don't allow enough time between classes to make up for a student who is struggling and runs over time. At the same time, if you don't complete every slide in the lesson, the parent may give you a bad rating, which drastically harms your chances to build up your student bookings. 'On time' means not one second late into the classroom. If they cancel your class because you were late, you lose all the pay for the class, and they charge you a fine. To renew your contract, the rule is that you cannot miss more than six classes (not six days) in a six month contract period. You can be given up to two cancellations in one shift.

I am not even discussing the middle of the night work hours, the poor per class pay, or the near impossibility of getting a raise. Very few teachers make the top hourly rate VIPKID claims, especially now that they are expanding. Even if you make the top hourly rate, you may be waiting, unpaid, between students.

VIPKID has determined to increase their market share and spread around the world. They didn't tell the teachers about their plans ahead of time. I have noticed a steady decrease in my student bookings since January 2018. I am a 5 apple teacher (the top rating).
  more... I began begging to get more certifications, which they require you to have to teach different types of classes. They took over a month to decide to allow me certify. I only just found out in the last week how greatly the number of teachers has increased, when someone in a chat group posted a link to an article about VIPKID expanding. This is great for their profits, since the risk is all on the teachers. VIPKID doesn't lose money by over-hiring, and that is exactly what they have done. The new teachers were also complaining for several months that they weren't being booked. One teacher recently posted that she had been teaching for six months and had taught only ten classes in all.

Don't sign up for this if you actually want to work.
Pros
It is some income. I love the children. The curriculum is good. There is unpaid training available.
Cons
No job security, Sporadic bookings, Teachers work in the middle of the night, Company is over-hiring teachers, No benefits, Low pay even when fully booked, Nearly impossible to get a raise
Racist and they are not fair
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Home BasedAugust 6, 2018
I was hired to teach students not to listen to parents give answers to their child. I was also given a low rating for correcting a child on their work also was given a low rating for not giving a child five stars. VIP kid also went through many updates that hindered me from being able to complete classes and also many instances locked me out of the classroom leaving me with teacher No show Four weeks I was answering in tickets and also notifying the firemen that their system was faulty so instead I was terminated due to their system not being up to date
Have a blast teaching English to kids in China from your own home!
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Work at HomeAugust 4, 2018
This is the most enjoyable job I have ever had. Work from home and set your own hours. In this job you get to teach English to kids in China in an online classroom environment. The kids are great to work with; they love to laugh. Lesson plans are provided but you are free to tailor them somewhat to your students' interests and needs. There is a big time difference, so be prepared to work either very early or very late at night. The hours some getting used to, but the kids are worth it!
Pros
work from home, great tech support, good training materials, great students, set your own schedule
Cons
can be difficult to get enough bookings, must be willing to get up early
It’s a fun job for some extra cash
Teacher (Current Employee) –  KYAugust 2, 2018
It is a fun job to teach students in another country. However , it can be stressful and exhausting for the pay (or lack thereof). Many times I feel as though I am putting more money, time, and energy into the company, than what is being compensated for. It can be fun and creative, but can also easily get tiring, inconsistent, frustrating, and draining. It is a great experience, but unless the pay increases, I wouldn’t recommend it for a solid, full time (or even part-time) position. For me, it’s more of a prn job.
Pros
Fun, innovative, great students, cross-cultural
Cons
Low pay, difficult hours, can get exhausting
Great Place to Work
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Student are in ChinaJuly 31, 2018
VIPKID is a great company to work for. If you just want some extra cash, supplement your income, or don't need a high salary then this is perfect.
You can teach from anywhere you get an internet connection. You can travel or live anywhere in the world and teach from the comforts of your home or hotel.
You decide how much or how little time you want to work.
The students are wonderful. They are eager to learn and have fun. This is a very rewarding teaching opportunity.
Pros
Flexibility and great money
Cons
No benefits you are an independent contractor

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VIPKID. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.9InHerSight Score

3.7Personal Development

4.3Career Opportunities

3.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight