VIPKid
Happiness rating is 76 out of 100

VIPKid Employee Reviews

United States1,244 reviews

Found 1,244 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,614 reviews

It was fun while it lasted

Well it was a good couple of years with bubbly kids before the regulations stopped having us and now there's the global platform...pay is less and it's not as nice.. but it is worth trying

Online teaching

Hours can be very opposite due to the children residing in Beijing, China. You have to work the graveyard shift basically. Always have reliable Internet because if it gets cut off and you have to end up paying for the class that you could not provide had already been paid for by the child’s parent.

VIPKid insights

• Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

Easy money

This job is relatively easy to perform if you have any education experience. You will have some lovely students and then other students who will be completely disrespectful but you have to remember you are only teaching them for 30 min and may never teach them again. Really great creating your own schedule but you better be a morning person or someone who can work through the night due to the time difference.

Pros

Easy money, good pay, flexibility for your own schedule.

Cons

You are just a number at this company, very early morning hours.

Fun place to work if students are available.

I loved learning and teaching with VIPKid. The best part of the job was working with kids who love to learn. The hardest part of the job was saying goodbye to students due to changes beyond our (VIPKID/Teacher) control.

Great company

I worked here for a while until laws changed in china. Great company but hours will not be so stable. But that was okay for me because I was only needing part time employment.

Unethical company that treats you like a number

Draconian policy on cancellations, especially for those trying to work full time. Awful management, you will never see a single face from corporate after your interview. Bonus incentives have almost fully been removed due to their new pay system. Truly an awful, immoral company that I am happy to see go out of business.

Pros

Classes can be fun and rewarding

Cons

Literally everything else

Vipkid

Great company. I really enjoyed my time there. It has changed due to regulations in China changing so my assessment is not based on the new global platform.

Great side hustle- changes in policy make bookings slimmer

When I first started there was much more bookings. However, due to changes in China policies, the company had to go international.. and bookings became harder to get. It is a fun job and it's great connecting with kids around the world. You do have to buy your own supplies, but you will find a ton of supportive facebook groups with pointers and tips on how to become more sucessful.

Used to be a great remote job

VIPKID used to be worth the early hours for supplemental income, but the new rates are not worth it. Over the years, the company started to exploit their employees by subtly reducing pay. When they lost their ability to teach students in China, wages were cut in half. It was not worth it as a contractor considering you have to take out your own taxes.

It was the best until it was my last day with them.

I worked for this company for 4+ years and although I needed some adjustment in time difference, I enjoyed most of my working experience with them. If not for the new policy in China, I would still be part of VIPKid. Great platform, awesome pay, wonderful CEO, and fantastic students!

Period of Transition

There was a period where this was one of the best online teaching gigs going. $20 an hour, plenty of bookings, very flexible schedule, all that stuff. But now that China cracked down on the online ESL companies, most of them are circling the drain. VIPKID is just barely hanging on partnering with other programs like BookNook and trying to market globally. Not worth getting into it now if you’re thinking about it - there are hardly any bookings. Fingers crossed that they can get enough students to get back to the good times.

Work at home opportunity

The job offers flexible scheduling (within certain hours) and I appreciate the ability to work from home. I love meeting with students and cultivating relationships with students across the world. The class materials are ready-made, and require little prep work once you get the hang of it. I wish the company provided better compensation and communication with their contracted teachers.

Flexible but in transition

Great contractor job but due to regulatory changes it's not productive at this time. I am still contracted and hope that the business will rebuild. Loved the work

Waste of time

Never got clients. The pay is awful. You spend an hour doing a 30 minute session that you only get 11 dollars for and its basically impossible to get a good group of students.

The students are lots of fun!

The students are lots of fun to teach! The hours are sparse since the new regulations went into place. Overall, the company is working hard to gain new students.

Pros

The students

Cons

not enough hours

Overall great company

VIPKid was great both as a teacher and a recruiter. It was a great job and offered lots of flexibility. Due to regulations outside of their control they are no longer in operation

Pros

Working remote

Don’t do it!

Just don’t do it. Lots of work for little pay. You have to plan, make or buy your own props. Bookings are competitive. Parent ratings can make or break you. Kids are mostly sweet but sometimes you get ones who will flip you off, cover their camera or not participate. There are better ESL tutor companies to work for. Most of us at VIP have 1 or 2 other companies on the side to get a full schedule.

VIPKid was a great job

I really enjoyed working for VIPKid. The curriculum was planned. You log in and teach. And the pay was very good for working at home. However, after the Chinese government outlawed foreign teachers there isn't enough work to do. I rarely get booked for classes. I miss it!

Pros

Pay, curriculum provided

Cons

It's difficult to get booked for a class now

It was great but not anymore.

Listen this job use to be great. Constant bookings. Non stop work during the weekends. But now because new rules, its hard to get bookings I wish I could get more work like I did before.

Flexible hours but don't rely on the money

VIPKid was wonderful before China closed them out (11/2021). They are trying to become Global in other countries, but most employees haven't had any bookings China. It's frustrating though that new employees have been hired and are getting regular bookings, yet those of us who have been there for years are not seeing anything and are being told to 'promote' ourselves to find students. How do you FIND students in other countries?? Great company for years until now. They are really struggling and I hope they can pick back up someday.

Pros

flexible hours, no lesson planning

Cons

no bookings, lack of support previously given

Flexible Hours

You have the option to work as much as you would like. Students are great and platform is user friendly. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you have recurring students and you get to see their growth personally.

Common questions about VIPKid

Answered by current and former employees at VIPKid

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VIPKid. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at VIPKid.
Powered byComparably

Compare VIPKid with

Learn about VIPKid in popular locations

• VIPKid