Play YouTube video button

VIPKID Employee Reviews

Featured review
VIPKID selected this as a representative review
It's a great company to work for if you're looking for additional income.
Freelance Tutor (Current Employee) –  RemoteJanuary 2, 2019
I like the educational resources they provide for their teachers to help them learn and grow. I love that I can make my own schedule and work from almost anywhere.
Good
ESL Teacher (Former Employee) –  OnlineMarch 19, 2019
This is an amazing job because it allows me to teach online from anywhere in the world. I currently live in China and I am able to teach when I want to.
Great way to work from home
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lutz, FLMarch 16, 2019
Teaching kids in China was an amazing experience all through the comfort of my own home. I was able to make up my own hours and build a clientele.8. I enjoyed it
The money comes from site and YouTube clicks
Contracted educator (Current Employee) –  Home BasedMarch 13, 2019
This is one of the reasons they have blanketed social media and search engines with ads that they’re “hiring” teachers. They do not have close to enough students per teacher ratio. Is anyone doing the math? 100,000 students would cover 20 hours of work for 5,000 teachers. For the 40,000 teachers this company purports to have, they would need to have a supply of 1.6 million REGULAR students.

Before January of 2018, teachers were getting consistent bookings. However, the company expanded their market likely the result of a huge investment flow from Kobe Bryant. The teachers I knew teaching for this company at this time suddenly went from consistent work to almost none.

Hiring and training policies are never stable. Even their rock star, young, model teachers with their own teaching and coaching V ipkid new hires have trouble keeping up. By the way, these teachers make money with their referral coaching for new teachers and they want you to use their link so they get the referral fee from vip kid. Nothing wrong with that, but most applicants are unaware. Also note, that even being coached by one of these rock star teachers may not be enough to get you through the hoops. Here’s why:

If you have a bachelor’s degree and decent resume, you will make it to an interview where you will give your first practice class. The interviewer ( most likely from their call center and native Chinese speaker) will pretend to be a student. Mine was very difficult to understand since she herself had very broken English. If you pass this, and if you’ve any teaching experience you most likely
  more... will, you will be “hired” on the spot; offered a payment agreement, and told you will have one training class and then a background check. Congratulations.

In the U.S., we call that landing the job. Not so in Beijing. You get the email for the training called a Mock Class and you sign up for it. You hit the link for all of the training videos which you must watch (of which there are many). You watch them. You download the lesson and “materials” needed to teach it. You scroll through the lesson and read the objectives. The slides are not self-teaching and it is not apparent how the objectives can be met, so you click on the demonstration videos which are all YouTube linked. There are other mock class coaching videos also popping up. These are their starteachers. However, and this is VERY important, you can follow their examples to the letter, and when you do the mock class scored DOWn and told you made errors on particular slides even though you watched and practiced with their very own coaching teachers.

You have at minimum a 90% chance of failing this mock class, and probably more if you’re over 35, or so it seems. You’re then sent a formatted letter congratulating you that you need to repeat the Mock Class. Why did you fail? Do you want the real reason or what your “teacher mentor” will tell you? The mentor evaluating you is a fellow teacher. The evaluations will be all over the place and are full of inconsistencies. Why would this teacher mentor pass you to become another competing teacher? Here’s just some of the critiquing and this level is the equivalent of kindergarten. “ You didn’t use enough TPR, you didn’t cue the student enough, you cued the student too much on one slide, you didn’t use their transition methods, or you shouldn’t use their transition methods, don’t introduce a new word, do introduce a. new word etc. “ You get the idea.... they have to fail you. That way you will repeat the round of YouTube videos again that all link back to vip kid. They WANT you to click. Don’t believe me? Look at the heavy social media marketing campaign. Look at the comments from teachers giving their code and links.

Since most teachers with this company complain about empty bookings ( not enough students ), why does vip kid keep marketing for more teachers? Because they want you to click on all of the YouTube channel links. It’s that simple.

By the way, if you do pass after three attempts, you’re not finished. They’ll explain that to really get more bookings, you just need to get a higher certification by passing another mock class. The cycle starts all over again. Be prepared to spend between 20-40 hours per mock class practicing and training. It can take weeks and you are not paid. By the way, their “certification” is only good for their classes. It’s not a true field certification and not useful for any other company.

I just wonder, though, if the ESL teaching market is completely saturated with both companies and teachers.
Pros
Idealistic but not realistic. Work from home
Cons
See above review
Great part time job
ESL Teacher (Former Employee) –  Wentzville, MOMarch 5, 2019
It is great teaching and interacting with the students and their parents! However, the company itself treats you like a number. There isn't any flexibility if sick or unable to make a class.
Pros
fun, great students, somewhat flexible
Cons
no benefits, 1099, must have documentation if unable to teach a class--that isn't always a possibility.
terminated on 3rd contract with stellar performance
contractor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 4, 2019
I have had a stellar record until Feb 2019 when I and my 5 children were hit with 2 rounds of stomach viruses, for which I had to cancel classes. I teach many students every day (between 8 and 18 classes in a 24-hour period). When I had to cancel, I had no choice. My students, their families, and I have outstanding relationships and keep in contact over We Chat. They knew I was sick and did not care that I had to cancel. They wanted me and the kids to feel better. I understand in China, people go to community centers when there is an illness of any kind. We do not do that in America for stomach viruses. It is pointless because there is nothing doctors can do to cure stomach viruses, and it would be a huge cost to do such a thing. As a result, there is no doctor's note. Just my word.

They told me they would review over 2 weeks to determine the outcome of my contract. I have taught over 3100 classes and have 1131 5-apple ratings and 4, 4-apple ratings. I poured my heart and soul into this job because of my students. VIPKID did not care. They looked at one month, which was clearly an anomaly, and terminated me for "poor student experience". You've got to be kidding me. Parents called VIPKID constantly, and they refused to answer them about why I wasn't teaching anymore. I have students in tears. Again, VIPKID does not care.

VIPKID's myopic analysis based on one factor within one month to determine my contract outcome clearly demonstrates we are just numbers in a sea of 60,000 teachers. I am a lawyer by trade, so I understand this is not an employment contract. Nevertheless,
  more... here are the points they did NOT consider:

1) my outstanding feedback from parents
2) requests from parents who want their children to keep learning with me
3) the ratio of classes taught to the number missed overall in each contract
4) my high performance ratio compared to other teachers
5) my contributions to the curriculum developers on errors on multiple slides
6) valuable, unparalleled feedback to students that I am sure no one has (I have 185 pages of feedback documented in Word documents from the past eight months alone)
7) the fact that a great teacher is an asset to the VIPKID platform (the words of one of my student's mothers who left the last feedback before you wiped my portal)
8) I have mentored mentors in paraprofessional areas because of my son's special needs
9) my affiliation with Lingo Bus for a year (that will now end and be moved to another platform)
10) dedication to priority bookings - I have never turned away a student for a priority booking regardless of what time it is in California

Given this outcome, I caution parents with children, especially single parents, to contract with this company. They do not care about you in the end. I'm sure I was just one of 60,000 teachers to VIPKID, but I was the ONLY teacher to many students.

Many parents came to me because their experiences with many VIPKID teachers was poor, and I have to agree. Many cannot put a grammatically correct sentence together. Additionally, I corrected countless VIPKID teaching slides in class and after class. The curriculum development team's understanding of English is questionable. I do shudder to think that many students are learning from so many VIPKID teachers who cannot string a sentence together without a plethora of grammatical errors. It's a shame their parents have to pay for that. I knew my students received the best from me because of my educational background. Many parents told me I was the best teacher they ever had in all of their children's education because of all the context I provided in class as well as the detailed an extensive feedback.

I say all this about myself because if they terminate me, they will terminate anyone. They do not care about the teacher or the student. They care about the bottom line. I used to be a huge fan of this company, but the stress to be perfect is unreal. It was bad enough they charged me for all of the classes I missed ($10 each) for a total of $114. Isn't that enough of a punishment?

I miss my students terribly, which is the hardest part of this. I didn't do it for the money (the wage is a joke). I have a J.D. and am about to get my Ph.D., and I only made the base pay at $7.50 per class even into my third contract. I taught because my students became part of my family. I am glad I am still in contact with them.

Thanks for reading. The decision is ultimately yours. Just be careful not to ever get sick or be less than perfect 100% of the time (only slight sarcasm).
Pros
students
Cons
the company's policies
Work from home in your pj's.
Online Instructor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 1, 2019
Wake up at 5:00 on weekday mornings, teach for an hour and a half, go about your day, repeat. With lesson planning done for you, one-on-one teacher/student classes, and the comfort of your own home, this gig is a stay at home mom's dream. The pay is enough to supplement to cover expenses like utility bills, car payments, or groceries.
Pros
You make your work schedule.
Cons
Available hours are very early in the morning and your pay is based on your availability.
ESL teacher
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 28, 2019
Pretty much the best job ever. I am a paramedic as well (not currently working) but I actually make more per hour than at a paramedic job. It allows me to work in the mornings when’s my babies are asleep of my husband is with them and then I can stay home and raise them all day everyday! Best of both worlds! Been here for two years now and still love it so much!
Pros
Pick my own schedule
Cons
No benefits, no raises
Vipkid
instructor (Current Employee) –  Home BasedFebruary 25, 2019
VIPKID is the best part job. Work from home. Make your own schedule. Make anywhere from $16 to $24 per hour. ESL to children from China, online. Must have a Bachelors degree (in anything) and a North American Accent.
Pros
Work from home.
Cons
Classes early morning/ late at night ( pro, if job is p/t supplement).
A good side job
Online English Teacher (Former Employee) –  South Jordan, UTFebruary 23, 2019
Not many hours, but you get to interact with children from China, and it was fun and fulfilling. They didn't tell me about how to cancel in advance, which caused them not to renew my contract due to a funeral. I was sad, but enjoyed it while it lasted.
Fun 1-1 classes
English Educator (Current Employee) –  New YorkFebruary 22, 2019
I have enjoyed waking up early to teach 1-1 English classes. Majority of the classes are fun and easy to pace. The children enjoy taking the classes too. It has been very full-filling.
Sweet Part-Time Job
Online ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Alamogordo, NMFebruary 22, 2019
You set your own schedule. The kids can be very sweet students but not always. You can get raises but the requirements are strict. It is easy to get attached to regular students who continue to choose you as their main tutor.
Teacher for 1 year
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  West Plains, MOFebruary 19, 2019
Been fairly good to work for. Tend to bend towards the paying parents more than the teachers. Unfortunately, this tends to not favor those that are putting in the hard earned hours for the money.
Work From Home
ESL Instructor (Current Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 16, 2019
I love this job. I am able to make my own hours, not commute,
wear comfortable clothing, stay home with my kids and meet new students and families everyday. VIPKID is the best job I have ever had.
Pros
easy dress code, scripted lessons, great platoform
Cons
some IT issues
Digital Platforms
Level 2 -5 Certified Online Teacher (Current Employee) –  Work at HomeFebruary 14, 2019
VIPKID is by far the most established digital classroom out there. If you are looking for something outside of mainstream education, look no further. Beware of the intense hours, and you will be fine.
Pros
Student Relationships
Cons
Hours
Easy, well paying part time job
VIPKID Teacher (Current Employee) –  OnlineFebruary 13, 2019
VIPKID is easy to do and mostly fun! They make it incredibly hard to ever miss a single class, even if you cancel weeks in advance, you get marked down. You do set your own schedule, but who knows two weeks in advance they will have the stomach flu? Once I was hired, I felt on my own and I have to Google a lot of questions I had, and still have. The pay is great for how easy the job is, but they are super strick. It is definitely apparent the company cares more for the customer satisfaction than the employee satisfaction. But I would still highly recommend anyone to work with VIPKID. It's is simple and ((most of the time)) fun!
Pros
Great pay, simple job
Cons
Strick policies
Vipkid
ESL Online Educator (Current Employee) –  Taylorsville, UTFebruary 10, 2019
this is a great oppertunity if you want to work from home and earn some extra money. The students are great, and the company has lots of training materials.
Lacks Benefits
English as a Second Language Teacher (Current Employee) –  Work at HomeFebruary 8, 2019
VIPKID is a wonderful company to work for. However, there are no benefits, no paid vacation, and no sick days. The hours are also very difficult to maintain. Teachers must work early in the morning or overnight because of the time difference with China. It is an easy work from home position, but the lack of benefits and hours make it impossible to use as a sole income.
Pros
Working from home, interacting with another culture, students
Cons
no benefits, no sick days, difficult hours
A positive summary of VIPKID
English teacher (Current Employee) –  Kanawha County, WVFebruary 8, 2019
I have had the opportunity to instruct a wide variety of students from various backgrounds and all facets of society. As a result, I am a compassionate teacher that remains sensitive to the unique needs of each student, and I am always sure to offer positive encouragement and reinforcement to keep students focused and motivated.
Classes are 25 minutes long and VIPKID provides the lesson plans for the teachers.
Seems like its just capitalizing on American educators in need
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  HomeFebruary 7, 2019
Although I would love to be able to teach, the amount of work I have done and money I have spent to prepare for each interview and certification has been significant. I spent time and put forth effort on interviews, demos, my profile all of the road map workshops and more. By the time I was opening my classes, requirements for certification for level 2 and trial classes started to change and I was informed I would need to go through certification again to be able to teach. At that point I still had more work and more obstacles and no pay or compensation. Ultimately I have decided this is not worth the pay or incentives.

Throughout my experience with VIPKID I have found the company interesting and the idea wonderful. I am glad it is proving successful. However, there have been many glitches and errors along the way in dealing with, responses to tickets, and the teachers that provide interviews and workshops.
Pros
the schedule
Cons
read comment
Great Part Time Gig
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 6, 2019
Great Part Time Gig. Nice, able work at home. Gotta get up early. Have take time build up students. Pay low. Customer service good.
Students and parents are great for most part

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VIPKID. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.7InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight