VIPKID Employee Reviews

Horrible Company
Contract teacher (Former Employee) –  Home BasedJuly 13, 2018
There is no concern for teachers. It is all about money for the company and the company just figures they can keep getting more teachers to fall for the gimmick that they don't have to treat their current teachers with respect at all. You'll notice the average work time for this company is barely 1 year.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Pay is misleading; racist; sexist; No-show policy is ridiculous and I coud go on and on
Don't bother
Contract teacher (Former Employee) –  Home BasedJuly 13, 2018
Unless you want to be treated like less than human don't work for this company. Management and staff do not care about workers concerns and show a complete disdain for employees. Arbitrary rating system, horrible cancellation policy, nonsensical bonuses, etc.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Too many to list
Does Not Live Up to the Hype
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 30, 2018
VIPKID has a great teaching platform. However, they aggressively recruit and hire through an incentive based reward system using current teachers. There are hundreds of recruitment videos on YouTube. This is because VIPKID teachers make money and earn awards through referrals. Unfortunately VIPKID has now hired thousands of new teachers. The numbers of teachers has jumped dramatically from about 25,000 to nearly 40,0000 with no visible increase in the number of students. Now, there is not enough work to go around. Some staff are still getting regular bookings but they are the exception. You are encouraged to take training classes to keep you busy but you are seeing fewer if any opportunities to teach. New teachers have it the worst. They are subjected to long waiting periods before they experience a class, that is if they even get a booking. VIPKID can fix this. They need to focus on recruiting more new students and fewer teachers.
Pros
Good training, flexible schedule.
Cons
Lack of bookings. Bad cancellation policy - these are contractor positions, not regular employees.
A great job
English Language Instructor (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCJune 29, 2018
This is a great job for someone looking to make some extra money. It's fun and easy, once you get the hang of it. There's a lot of hoops to jump through first, but it pays off. Don't be discouraged about not receiving students right off the bat. It takes time.
Work at your own pace
ESL Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 28, 2018
I like working for them because I get to do it on my own time and make my own schedule. It's nice to work from home. There are no benefits because it is an international company.
Great teaching job that you can do from anywhere
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, INJune 27, 2018
It's nice to set my own schedule but it can be difficult to get bookings. It's hit and miss on how much I am able to work each week. I would love to move up in the company but so far, there haven't been opportunities to do so.
Pros
Work at home
Cons
Horrible hours, low pay for what they expect
Productive and rewarding
Instructor (Current Employee) –  215 Silver Creek Lane, Shelby NC 28152June 21, 2018
I teach from my home, but the company is based our of China. I determine the number of classes I do each day/week. The time is very flexible and accommodating. Pay is great and I qualified for a raise after my first year. I am not sure of the policy after your first raise.
A good way to earn some cash on the side
English Teacher (Current Employee) –  OnlineJune 18, 2018
With VIPKID, you set your own work hours but peak hours (and most likely bookings) are going to be in the wee hours of the morning for our side of the globe. A one-on-one class room experience is very nice. You set up your camera and your "class room" area, some assorted props, and you're good to go. You can do this job from anywhere in the world as long as you have a hard line internet connection.
VERY Worth the Read...
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTJune 17, 2018
I recently had to leave my former job due to illness, and search for one that I can work, from home. I accidentally came across VIPKID and can honestly say it was one of the best paths I have ever embarked upon. I was concerned that I would be facing a risk, not knowing if I would need time off. Considering I am one of some 30,000 teachers, I feared that the company may not be as personal or understanding

I WAS VERY WRONG!!

VIPKID has been the most understanding and concerned company I have ever worked for. When I needed time off, one company agent commented that he hoped I was feeling better and that my health comes first! Another told me she was hoping I was going to be fine and that she was concerned about me! The amazing part is that, these two agents truly cared and meant what they said (based upon how they assisted me). No other company/organization, or supervisor, has expressed the personal care and concern, which VIPKID has.

VIPKID has made employment possible for me, at this stage in my life. I highly recommend that you consider VIPKID. It is no wonder that, for 2018, Forbes has ranked VIPKID as #1 for remote employment. Good luck in your job search!
A fun place to work
Online Teacher (VIPKID) (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJune 16, 2018
Its a place to work for people who are looking for a few extra hundreds. As this job is part time mostly, its difficult sustain your routine in life with only VIPKID job.
Great opportunity and experience
ESL Teacher (Part-time online) (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TN (Teach students online)June 5, 2018
I love working with the students. The material provided for the lessons is well thought out and written and easy to use and easy for the students to understand.
Extra Income
REMOTE ESL INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Ocala, FLJune 1, 2018
It's good if you need some extra income but not practical for a full time job. However, you do only get paid once a month. The hours are a struggle for some people as well.
don’t waste your time
teacher (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 30, 2018
This is one company where it is too big to really provide valuable feedback to anyone. The training process is a waste of time. I spent time and money on creating props that were not appreciated. In short: a HUGE waste of time and energy that left me with nothing but frustration.
Pros
create your own schedule; you can determine when you want to waste your time.
Cons
you will never get that time back
Fun place to work
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  RemoteMay 17, 2018
I love teaching the children with this company. You get to teach children from ages 4-12, sometimes younger in trials. I love seeing my regulars every week and getting to meet new students.
Pros
You make your own schedule
Cons
Can be hard at first to get booked
fun rewarding job
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMay 17, 2018
This job is what you make it. You set your hours. Before you commit, please understand that your hours are going to be very early in the morning while everyone else in the United states is sleeping. It takes some self motivation to get up and be prepared to smile and teach young children but it is very rewarding. Another thing you need to realize is that you are self employed. You basically own your own business and you have to build your business by being on time and doing a great job. If you have a good internet connection and can be self motivated, this is for you.
I work in a regular school monday through friday. I get up and teach for an hour and a half every morning. I also teach on weekends. I average 100 twenty five minute classes a month and make $1000 a month. Y'all this is a legit side gig.
Flexible schedule
Teacher- Contract (Current Employee) –  Smyrna, GAMay 14, 2018
Working for VIPKID can be very fun and engaging. You meet new people daily and can create your own schedule. The hardest part of the job is booking classes.
Love, love, love this job
Contracted Teacher (Current Employee) –  Livingston, TXMay 10, 2018
If you want a work at home job, you have a degree and you have taught kiddos before, this job is amazing! If you need help getting this job, find me and I will help. https://www.vipkidteachers.com/?refereeId=3084580&refersourceid=a01

It is a great job for early mornings or evenings, the pay is excellent too. I love this job!
Awesome flexibility with room to increase pay
TEFL Instructor (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CAMay 9, 2018
One of the best jobs to make money on the side, or even go full time if you are interested in working a lot of morning or evening hours. Able to plan your own schedule and take vacation any time you want. No company benefits are included.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
low stability. Could be fired at any time
At home work
Teacher (Current Employee) –  HomeMay 4, 2018
I wake up and teach at home when I have a class booked. Takes time to build up students because classes are booked by the parents choice. Your skill bases your pay.
A GREAT company to work for if you are looking for part time income doing something FUN! :)
Online ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tampa Bay, FLMay 4, 2018
VIPKID is an awesome company. I know a lot of teachers get frustrated because they aren't fully booked from day one. It can take time to build up regular students. But if you give it the time and are patient it is SO worth it once your schedule starts to fill up. The job itself is incredibly fun and rewarding and the students are amazing! It's definitely a warm and fuzzy job :) But they are strict with their cancellation policy - I do feel that could use some improvement. But management does their best to accommodate their teachers needs and they truly do listen to us. I definitely recommend to anyone who is looking for a part time income and wants to be able to stay home with their family! :)
Pros
You make your own hours, you can work while you family is sleeping and won't miss any time with them!
Cons
Very strict cancellation policy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VIPKID. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.9InHerSight Score

3.7Personal Development

4.3Career Opportunities

3.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight