Play YouTube video button

VIPKID Employee Reviews for English As A Second Language Teacher

Featured review
VIPKID selected this as a representative review
It's a great company to work for if you're looking for additional income.
Freelance Tutor (Current Employee) –  RemoteJanuary 2, 2019
I like the educational resources they provide for their teachers to help them learn and grow. I love that I can make my own schedule and work from almost anywhere.
Financial freedom
Esl Teacher (Current Employee) –  Easton, PAMarch 20, 2019
I love working for this company, The financial freedom that I get by working here is amazing.I love that I can make my own. Schedule and I can work whenever.
Pros
Good pay, make your own schedule
Cons
Early hours, slow bookings in the beginning.
Good
ESL Teacher (Former Employee) –  OnlineMarch 19, 2019
This is an amazing job because it allows me to teach online from anywhere in the world. I currently live in China and I am able to teach when I want to.
Great part time job
ESL Teacher (Former Employee) –  Wentzville, MOMarch 5, 2019
It is great teaching and interacting with the students and their parents! However, the company itself treats you like a number. There isn't any flexibility if sick or unable to make a class.
Pros
fun, great students, somewhat flexible
Cons
no benefits, 1099, must have documentation if unable to teach a class--that isn't always a possibility.
ESL teacher
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 28, 2019
Pretty much the best job ever. I am a paramedic as well (not currently working) but I actually make more per hour than at a paramedic job. It allows me to work in the mornings when’s my babies are asleep of my husband is with them and then I can stay home and raise them all day everyday! Best of both worlds! Been here for two years now and still love it so much!
Pros
Pick my own schedule
Cons
No benefits, no raises
Sweet Part-Time Job
Online ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Alamogordo, NMFebruary 22, 2019
You set your own schedule. The kids can be very sweet students but not always. You can get raises but the requirements are strict. It is easy to get attached to regular students who continue to choose you as their main tutor.
Teacher for 1 year
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  West Plains, MOFebruary 19, 2019
Been fairly good to work for. Tend to bend towards the paying parents more than the teachers. Unfortunately, this tends to not favor those that are putting in the hard earned hours for the money.
Work From Home
ESL Instructor (Current Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 16, 2019
I love this job. I am able to make my own hours, not commute,
wear comfortable clothing, stay home with my kids and meet new students and families everyday. VIPKID is the best job I have ever had.
Pros
easy dress code, scripted lessons, great platoform
Cons
some IT issues
Lacks Benefits
English as a Second Language Teacher (Current Employee) –  Work at HomeFebruary 8, 2019
VIPKID is a wonderful company to work for. However, there are no benefits, no paid vacation, and no sick days. The hours are also very difficult to maintain. Teachers must work early in the morning or overnight because of the time difference with China. It is an easy work from home position, but the lack of benefits and hours make it impossible to use as a sole income.
Pros
Working from home, interacting with another culture, students
Cons
no benefits, no sick days, difficult hours
Independent Contractor
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  at homeJanuary 29, 2019
Working for VIP KID I am an independent contractor and my hours and how much I work is completely up to me. I love the flexibility it allows with my children to be able to work from home.
good place to work-- flexible
ESL Instructor (Current Employee) –  Humble, TXJanuary 21, 2019
Great opportunity for a legitimate work from home job if you can handle the hours. It takes awhile to build your student base but once you are established you can name your hours.
Great place to work!
Independent Contractor ● Online ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJanuary 17, 2019
VIPKID is a great place to work! Management is always striving to improve. It is hard to get hours that equal a full time job, so don't quit your day job if you money. Wait until your bookings start filling up.
Side hustle turned into full time gig
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  New JerseyJanuary 17, 2019
Love VIPKID. Work as much or little as you want. You are in control of how long you teach and when you want to take vacation. The only downside is the 6 cancellations you are allowed to take, in case you need to cancel a class or forget to wake up for a class. Other cons are no benefits. Overall, I am very pleased with VIPKID.
Pros
Work as much as you want
Cons
No benefits
fun workplace
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJanuary 16, 2019
fun place to work but has crazy hours that may not be typical for most people. Must enable your own bookings; has a little impact on the potential money per month. The company has an excellent available resources and staff to answer or solve any issues that may arise.
Pros
make your own schedule
Cons
hours are not typical but workable
Flexibility is key
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Americus, GADecember 27, 2018
Though I got off to a slow start with building my student base, I am enjoying my time as a VIPKID teacher. I love the students, the curriculum, and the pay. VIPKID was the perfect opportunity for me when I became a mom and I suddenly had to find a new job.
Pros
the pay, the ability to be a substitute teacher, co-workers are very helpful
Cons
Slow start to get students for many teachers
Great online experience
Second Language Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hanover, PADecember 11, 2018
great work environment to work from home, Great pay and all teaching curriculum already supplied for ease of teaching. Can be taught from anywhere with internet service.
Interesting work atmosphere
Online ESL Teacher (Former Employee) –  Online ESL ProgramDecember 4, 2018
The work atmosphere is very interesting, you must work hard and always pay attention towards your lesson. Allow the student to take over most of the class, while facilitating learning. The most enjoyable part is putting a smile on the students faces.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Early Hours
Great work place
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  PANovember 16, 2018
VIPKID is a great company to work for. I am a stay at home mom and now have the opportunity to earn money while caring for my children in the home. I'm so glad I found this job.
Fun workplace, but not enough hours
ESL Teacher Online - At Home (Former Employee) –  InternetNovember 3, 2018
Unfortunately because of the time zone difference in China and US, I could not do enough hours to live off of. I did enjoy teaching the kids and being able to be as creative as I wanted to be. It was hard to keep some kids engaged in the lesson, if they were too young.
Very good job for the right fit
Second Language Teacher (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 30, 2018
Great way to make money for someone with a background somewhat related to teaching who is in need of a very flexible job. Great 2nd job or for a student.
Love VIPKID as a part time job, particularly their flexibility and progressiveness of the agency.
English as a Second Language Instructor (Current Employee) –  RemoteOctober 24, 2018
VIPKID is stellar in my opinion when it comes to serving the teachers. They are very progressive, utilized the teacher's input often, and gives praises often
Pros
Flexibility, Children, Great teacher community, Great part time job
Cons
Prepare to work late nights (weekends, holidays) for more money..

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VIPKID. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.7InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight