Play YouTube video button

VIPKID Employee Reviews for English As A Second Language Teacher

Featured review
VIPKID selected this as a representative review
One of my favorite jobs!
Online ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Prosper, TXOctober 5, 2018
I absolutely love VIPKid. I love that I can pick my schedule, work while everyone in my home is sleeping, and building relationships with children around the world.
Great online experience
Second Language Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hanover, PADecember 11, 2018
great work environment to work from home, Great pay and all teaching curriculum already supplied for ease of teaching. Can be taught from anywhere with internet service.
Great work place
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  PANovember 16, 2018
VIPKID is a great company to work for. I am a stay at home mom and now have the opportunity to earn money while caring for my children in the home. I'm so glad I found this job.
Fun workplace, but not enough hours
ESL Teacher Online - At Home (Former Employee) –  InternetNovember 3, 2018
Unfortunately because of the time zone difference in China and US, I could not do enough hours to live off of. I did enjoy teaching the kids and being able to be as creative as I wanted to be. It was hard to keep some kids engaged in the lesson, if they were too young.
Very good job for the right fit
Second Language Teacher (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 30, 2018
Great way to make money for someone with a background somewhat related to teaching who is in need of a very flexible job. Great 2nd job or for a student.
Love VIPKID as a part time job, particularly their flexibility and progressiveness of the agency.
English as a Second Language Instructor (Current Employee) –  RemoteOctober 24, 2018
VIPKID is stellar in my opinion when it comes to serving the teachers. They are very progressive, utilized the teacher's input often, and gives praises often
Pros
Flexibility, Children, Great teacher community, Great part time job
Cons
Prepare to work late nights (weekends, holidays) for more money..
Salary paid was not what was promised.
Online ESL Teacher (Former Employee) –  Kenai, AKOctober 4, 2018
Promised a particular hourly rate, then later it was changed to based on the number of classes taught for the month. Unforgiving during family emergency for cancelled class.
Flexible Work from Home Option
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Lithonia, GASeptember 27, 2018
This is a great job for stay at home parents, travelers, or anyone else looking for a work from home job that pays decently well. The kids are a blast to work with (and I didn't have a ton of experience working with kids before)! You can set your own schedule, but you typically end up working early in the morning or through the night because of the time difference. You are a contractor so there are no benefits, and it can take a while to get regular bookings, but it is different for everyone. Overall, a great option with flexible hours and the ability to work from anywhere.
Pros
good pay, flexible schedule, fun
Cons
no benefits, can take a while to get bookings, odd hours
Teaching was great when you could get the classes
Second Language Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 17, 2018
I loved the actual teaching part of this job. The curriculum was pretty good for the most part. I left because they overhired and getting classes with so many teachers was really tough. I started working at 4:00 a.m. and would often have cancellations and no-shows. The classes required much preparation ahead of time for the younger children and by the time I figured up all the time spent on that as well as the paperwork after class, the pay was pretty low.
Productive and a fun work place
ESL TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 16, 2018
In this job you have to be able to manage your own schudle. You have to make sure that you are self motivated and able to change to your surroundings as needed. The most enjoyable part of this job is being able to make a difference with your students and able to connect with them millions of miles away.
Pros
Work your own time
VIPKID is fantastic!
ESL TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 25, 2018
It is an independent contr5acting job, so no benefits, but you 100% control your schedule. The kids are amazing and so much fun to work with. When things go wrong, the IT team known as firemen are there quickly to resolve the issue ASAP. I have nothing but positive things to say about them!
Pros
everything
Cons
contract job
A good environment to be a part of.
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  RemoteAugust 17, 2018
VIPKID is a company that is doing its best to help Chinese youth learn English. Parents want them to learn the correct pronunciations thus this is a company dominant in foreign teachers. It is a fun thing to be a part of. The students, for the most part, are a joy and are always worth teaching. The only downside is the hours.
Vipkid
Online English (ESL) Teacher / China (Current Employee) –  Remote via internet connectionAugust 17, 2018
I teach English online to Chinese children, ages 3-13, between the hours of 12am-8am, M-F. The classes are 1:1 and last 25 minutes. In the last 365 days, I have taught 1,907 classes to 632 students.

This type of teaching platform has required me to practice precise time management in order to complete each lesson while meeting the course objectives. I have also been able to expand and hone my ESL teaching skills by teaching so many different lessons to many different children.

The company is very large yet they have consistently addressed any concerns I have voiced in a timely manner. VIPKID pays on-time via direct deposit and I have appreciated their dependability and consistency. The teacher's portal allows for communication with the company and the parents. Being my own manager is a perk. I have enjoyed creating my own workplace culture and being able to individualize my lessons to the needs of my students.

The teaching hours were initially a bit of an adjustment, however, I do enjoy the flexibility of setting my own scheduled work-days and times.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the children and their families. At the end of a lesson, I often hear, "I love you teacher!", which stirs my heart and transcends the miles and distance. I have been introduced to babies, puppies and grandparents and welcomed to participate in celebrations like birthdays and Chinese New Year. Teaching for VIPKid has been a rich experience as well as a privilege. It's the next best thing to actually teaching there.
Pros
VIPKID is an dependable company which offers a high quality of services.
Cons
The time difference between America and China means I have to teach during the night.
You must try your best to make it work for you
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 14, 2018
All teachers with VIPKID are independent contractors. However, parents often select teachers based on looks not experience. Just do your best to get all your certifications and badges and to promote yourself in your profile. Do not get discouraged if your bookings are inconsistent.
Pros
Can work from home
Cons
Extreme bias in selecting teachers.
Fun Environment
Online ESL Instructor (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CaliforniaJuly 22, 2018
This is a rewarding job if you can get enough teaching hours as the parents book you, not the company. Takes a couple of months to get bookings and you are a contract employee so no benefits.
Pros
Nice incentives!
Cons
slow to no bookings
Great at-home job
Remote - ESL TEACHER (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 18, 2018
I still work here part time. The hours are unusual, typically 4-7am on the west coast. The kids are great and the job is very manageable. All you need is a headset and stable internet connection to use your computer to teach. I don't much like the IT department, they are often unable to solve problems which can occasionally be reflected in your track record, causing issues with your employment. (For example, a verified system error once made me late for class. The parent was angry I was late and left a bad review, which made it harder for me to book new students!) Which brings me to my next point-- I don't much like the fact that parents rate us. I realize there is no better way to do it, but it does feel a lot more like customer service than actual teaching when I'm jumping through hoops with cartoon goggles to get a good review ;)
Great for part-time income
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  OnlineJuly 5, 2018
I started at VIPKID four months ago and with my income I have been able to stay at home with my daughter. The wages are not really high but they are better than most part time jobs outside the home. This is very convenient, you can choose your hours and change them when you want as long as you have not been booked. There is not much lesson prep so you don't spend much extra time working on this job if you don't want to.

The cancellation policy is harsh and I wish they would look at that. Sometimes you just don't know 24 hours in advance if you can't make a class. These rules are quite strict. Don't plan classes if you are unsure you can teach.

Overall, I am very happy working with VIPKID and I really enjoy the students!
Work at your own pace
ESL Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 28, 2018
I like working for them because I get to do it on my own time and make my own schedule. It's nice to work from home. There are no benefits because it is an international company.
Great teaching job that you can do from anywhere
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, INJune 27, 2018
It's nice to set my own schedule but it can be difficult to get bookings. It's hit and miss on how much I am able to work each week. I would love to move up in the company but so far, there haven't been opportunities to do so.
Pros
Work at home
Cons
Horrible hours, low pay for what they expect
Great opportunity and experience
ESL Teacher (Part-time online) (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TN (Teach students online)June 5, 2018
I love working with the students. The material provided for the lessons is well thought out and written and easy to use and easy for the students to understand.
Extra Income
REMOTE ESL INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Ocala, FLJune 1, 2018
It's good if you need some extra income but not practical for a full time job. However, you do only get paid once a month. The hours are a struggle for some people as well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VIPKID. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.9InHerSight Score

3.7Personal Development

4.3Career Opportunities

3.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight