VIPKID Employee Reviews for English As A Second Language Teacher

One of my favorite jobs!
Online ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Prosper, TXOctober 5, 2018
I absolutely love VIPKid. I love that I can pick my schedule, work while everyone in my home is sleeping, and building relationships with children around the world.
Salary paid was not what was promised.
Online ESL Teacher (Former Employee) –  Kenai, AKOctober 4, 2018
Promised a particular hourly rate, then later it was changed to based on the number of classes taught for the month. Unforgiving during family emergency for cancelled class.
Flexible Work from Home Option
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Lithonia, GASeptember 27, 2018
This is a great job for stay at home parents, travelers, or anyone else looking for a work from home job that pays decently well. The kids are a blast to work with (and I didn't have a ton of experience working with kids before)! You can set your own schedule, but you typically end up working early in the morning or through the night because of the time difference. You are a contractor so there are no benefits, and it can take a while to get regular bookings, but it is different for everyone. Overall, a great option with flexible hours and the ability to work from anywhere.
Pros
good pay, flexible schedule, fun
Cons
no benefits, can take a while to get bookings, odd hours
Productive and a fun work place
ESL TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 16, 2018
In this job you have to be able to manage your own schudle. You have to make sure that you are self motivated and able to change to your surroundings as needed. The most enjoyable part of this job is being able to make a difference with your students and able to connect with them millions of miles away.
Pros
Work your own time
VIPKID is fantastic!
ESL TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 25, 2018
It is an independent contr5acting job, so no benefits, but you 100% control your schedule. The kids are amazing and so much fun to work with. When things go wrong, the IT team known as firemen are there quickly to resolve the issue ASAP. I have nothing but positive things to say about them!
Pros
everything
Cons
contract job
A good environment to be a part of.
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  RemoteAugust 17, 2018
VIPKID is a company that is doing its best to help Chinese youth learn English. Parents want them to learn the correct pronunciations thus this is a company dominant in foreign teachers. It is a fun thing to be a part of. The students, for the most part, are a joy and are always worth teaching. The only downside is the hours.
Vipkid
Online English (ESL) Teacher / China (Current Employee) –  Remote via internet connectionAugust 17, 2018
I teach English online to Chinese children, ages 3-13, between the hours of 12am-8am, M-F. The classes are 1:1 and last 25 minutes. In the last 365 days, I have taught 1,907 classes to 632 students.

This type of teaching platform has required me to practice precise time management in order to complete each lesson while meeting the course objectives. I have also been able to expand and hone my ESL teaching skills by teaching so many different lessons to many different children.

The company is very large yet they have consistently addressed any concerns I have voiced in a timely manner. VIPKID pays on-time via direct deposit and I have appreciated their dependability and consistency. The teacher's portal allows for communication with the company and the parents. Being my own manager is a perk. I have enjoyed creating my own workplace culture and being able to individualize my lessons to the needs of my students.

The teaching hours were initially a bit of an adjustment, however, I do enjoy the flexibility of setting my own scheduled work-days and times.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the children and their families. At the end of a lesson, I often hear, "I love you teacher!", which stirs my heart and transcends the miles and distance. I have been introduced to babies, puppies and grandparents and welcomed to participate in celebrations like birthdays and Chinese New Year. Teaching for VIPKid has been a rich experience as well as a privilege. It's the next best thing to actually teaching there.
Pros
VIPKID is an dependable company which offers a high quality of services.
Cons
The time difference between America and China means I have to teach during the night.
You must try your best to make it work for you
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 14, 2018
All teachers with VIPKID are independent contractors. However, parents often select teachers based on looks not experience. Just do your best to get all your certifications and badges and to promote yourself in your profile. Do not get discouraged if your bookings are inconsistent.
Pros
Can work from home
Cons
Extreme bias in selecting teachers.
Fun Environment
Online ESL Instructor (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CaliforniaJuly 22, 2018
This is a rewarding job if you can get enough teaching hours as the parents book you, not the company. Takes a couple of months to get bookings and you are a contract employee so no benefits.
Pros
Nice incentives!
Cons
slow to no bookings
Great at-home job
Remote - ESL TEACHER (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 18, 2018
I still work here part time. The hours are unusual, typically 4-7am on the west coast. The kids are great and the job is very manageable. All you need is a headset and stable internet connection to use your computer to teach. I don't much like the IT department, they are often unable to solve problems which can occasionally be reflected in your track record, causing issues with your employment. (For example, a verified system error once made me late for class. The parent was angry I was late and left a bad review, which made it harder for me to book new students!) Which brings me to my next point-- I don't much like the fact that parents rate us. I realize there is no better way to do it, but it does feel a lot more like customer service than actual teaching when I'm jumping through hoops with cartoon goggles to get a good review ;)
Great for part-time income
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  OnlineJuly 5, 2018
I started at VIPKID four months ago and with my income I have been able to stay at home with my daughter. The wages are not really high but they are better than most part time jobs outside the home. This is very convenient, you can choose your hours and change them when you want as long as you have not been booked. There is not much lesson prep so you don't spend much extra time working on this job if you don't want to.

The cancellation policy is harsh and I wish they would look at that. Sometimes you just don't know 24 hours in advance if you can't make a class. These rules are quite strict. Don't plan classes if you are unsure you can teach.

Overall, I am very happy working with VIPKID and I really enjoy the students!
Work at your own pace
ESL Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 28, 2018
I like working for them because I get to do it on my own time and make my own schedule. It's nice to work from home. There are no benefits because it is an international company.
Great teaching job that you can do from anywhere
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, INJune 27, 2018
It's nice to set my own schedule but it can be difficult to get bookings. It's hit and miss on how much I am able to work each week. I would love to move up in the company but so far, there haven't been opportunities to do so.
Pros
Work at home
Cons
Horrible hours, low pay for what they expect
Great opportunity and experience
ESL Teacher (Part-time online) (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TN (Teach students online)June 5, 2018
I love working with the students. The material provided for the lessons is well thought out and written and easy to use and easy for the students to understand.
Extra Income
REMOTE ESL INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Ocala, FLJune 1, 2018
It's good if you need some extra income but not practical for a full time job. However, you do only get paid once a month. The hours are a struggle for some people as well.
Fun place to work
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  RemoteMay 17, 2018
I love teaching the children with this company. You get to teach children from ages 4-12, sometimes younger in trials. I love seeing my regulars every week and getting to meet new students.
Pros
You make your own schedule
Cons
Can be hard at first to get booked
fun rewarding job
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMay 17, 2018
This job is what you make it. You set your hours. Before you commit, please understand that your hours are going to be very early in the morning while everyone else in the United states is sleeping. It takes some self motivation to get up and be prepared to smile and teach young children but it is very rewarding. Another thing you need to realize is that you are self employed. You basically own your own business and you have to build your business by being on time and doing a great job. If you have a good internet connection and can be self motivated, this is for you.
I work in a regular school monday through friday. I get up and teach for an hour and a half every morning. I also teach on weekends. I average 100 twenty five minute classes a month and make $1000 a month. Y'all this is a legit side gig.
A GREAT company to work for if you are looking for part time income doing something FUN! :)
Online ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tampa Bay, FLMay 4, 2018
VIPKID is an awesome company. I know a lot of teachers get frustrated because they aren't fully booked from day one. It can take time to build up regular students. But if you give it the time and are patient it is SO worth it once your schedule starts to fill up. The job itself is incredibly fun and rewarding and the students are amazing! It's definitely a warm and fuzzy job :) But they are strict with their cancellation policy - I do feel that could use some improvement. But management does their best to accommodate their teachers needs and they truly do listen to us. I definitely recommend to anyone who is looking for a part time income and wants to be able to stay home with their family! :)
Pros
You make your own hours, you can work while you family is sleeping and won't miss any time with them!
Cons
Very strict cancellation policy
Good for the effort
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 1, 2018
VIPKID is an independent contracting teaching job. You can set your own schedule and build a nice set of regular students. The culture differences are sometimes challenging but once you get the hang of it, you're pretty much on your own which is excellent!
Pros
Flexible
Great place for extra money
ESL Instructor (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 27, 2018
It's a great way to earn extra income, but there's no consistency and nothing you can do to get more hours. There are no benefits and living in the US, pretty much entirely overnight.
Pros
Work when you want
Cons
No guarantee for work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VIPKID. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.7Personal Development

4.3Career Opportunities

3.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight