VIPKid
Happiness rating is 74 out of 100

VIPKid Employee Reviews for English As A Second Language Teacher

I have been working here for over 2 years now. This job was amazing to me because it offered additional compensation, allowed me to work at home, and allowed me to work at my own schedule.
VIPKID literally does not care at all about it employees. I started there prior to the pandemic. Once COVID hit there was an influx of applicants so they lowered the pay for all prospective and current employees. The support team is horrible. There’s so many amazing online teaching companies to work for, this is not one.
Pros
Choose your schedule
Cons
Impossible to build clientele the first 1-4 months
I think overall this has been a good side gig, but the lack of bookings, the over hiring of teachers, and pay cuts have made this not a good experience.
I enjoy the flexibility, but sometimes I do believe they are slightly unfair with certain policies. For example, I had taught a class all the way through just to be told afterwards that they wouldn’t pay me because of an internet issue on my end. I just feel they should have explained that I would not get paid because of an internet issue during class and not after the class was completed. Even half pay would have been better than no pay since I did prepare, show up on time, and stay the duration of the class. This has been my only issue with them.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
No benefits
I felt that the business has too many teachers and not enough students. It was not worth waking up at 4:00 am to teach 1 or 2 kids and make $40 a day. It just was not worth my time.
Pros
Big pay for small amount of time
Cons
early or late hours and no job security with US/China relations
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
Pay keeps getting dropped. They find excuses to not pay you or even worse make you pay them. They act like you are an independent contractor, but they give you no control over your business and will move your clients to cheaper teachers.
Pros
Work
Cons
Poor pay
It is great to work from home. You must be able to get up early and manage your own schedule. It is a job that you get out what you put in. The payment structure is a little funky.
Pros
working from home, the students are great
Cons
time difference
The pay is low for the input. The parents are a-rentitive and company support can take days to respond to requests. As far as online teaching goes its not the worst Company out there but it is a lot of work.
Pros
Flexible schedule
I have been with VIPkid for two years now. It has allowed me to make some extra money while raising my family. I enjoy the work itself and the students. They are improving the class content all the time. However, I do feel that the pay is low for my qualification set (teacher of 15+ years and reading specialist) and advancement in pay depends on 5 star reviews and an incredible amount of classes taught. I have all 5 star reviews but parents rarely give feedback so I cannot advance. Bookings are out of your control so there can be good months and bad months so it's hard to rely on a set income. I have had to piece together other side jobs as well.
Pros
Flexible for families
Cons
Low pay
VIPKID is an easy and convenient way to make extra money or to travel while working remotely. Make sure to have reliable headphones/microphone, computer/laptop/ipod to teach, and internet.
Pros
Working remotely
Only good for a side hustle. Bookings are consistent and the hours are really early in the morning. I started to feel burnout from the hours and the pay isn't great.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Inconsistent bookings, recent pay cut, super early hours
I worked at this company for 3 years. In this time I saw most of our incentives and bonuses cut. While it would have been worth it to wake up at 4am for 4 classes tat quickly dwindled to 1 class or 2 classes every few days..sometimes I would have a week or two with no bookings. I was always tired and felt under paid. I feel like they took advantage of covid here in the US once there were a ton of teachers. They began to hire for less and cut our veteran teachers incentive bonuses (and therefore our overall pay) they also would encourage students to book with new teachers.
Pros
Good opportunity if youre unable to find any other job and you can work while your kids sleep.
Cons
Company doesnt care about you as an individual, does not offer bonuses or incentives, tokens were used to replace money on many cases (virtual tokens!), We were once paid an extra $2 and now youll get tokens lol
VIPKid is a great place to teach. You have a lot of support and training to help you improve. I enjoy the job and feel like it's a great environment, with a great work/life balance and a flexible schedule.
I love teaching for VIPKid. All the curriculum is provided so there is no prep work required--just show up and teach what's on the screen. The kids are cute and fun. The biggest downside is the hours--with the time difference to Beijing, you can't work normal workday hours.
Pros
Easy, fun, pays well for flexible, at-home job
Cons
Early morning/night hours only
Super flexible and the pay is decent though other similar companies pay more. No guarantee for hours wouldn’t put all your eggs in this one basket. Good side gig.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Unreliable income
It’s a fun job but the hours can be absolutely grueling. I found if I did not have overnight hours, I was not going to have a full schedule, which is what I needed to meet my financial obligations. I emailed and asked about things I could do to make myself appeal more and got no response.
I manage my own time. The kids are so cute. Great platform to teach. It is a fulfilling job. I can see myself working for VIPKID for a long time. I always look forward teaching the students.
Pros
Flexibility and great pay
Cons
Sometimes the parents cancel the classes.
I love teaching with VIPKID. Scheduling is flexible and I am able to teach and maintain my full time job in healthcare. VIPKID helps me earn extra money for life’s expenses when I want.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Teaching time is typically early mornings
Having worked with this company over a year, I can sincerely say that they do not care about their teachers. It has been at times discouraging and demoralizing to work there. It is common for them to side against you if a parent is hostile or unreasonable, which can happen over very small quibbles. This company's actions clearly communicate that you are expendable. They leverage the large number of other teachers against you to devalue you. The company culture is that if you do not like how you are treated they do not care because, especially during the pandemic, we have people behind you who we can replace you with. It is a predatory system that exploits the fact that so many individuals are currently struggling to keep work. It's somewhere between a gig economy job and a pyramid scheme with the downsides of both.The Indeed salary information is also very misrepresentative. You have to grind a lot to get to a place that you can break $1000 in a month, and the whim of a parent can ruin your bookings with unfounded feedback and you have very little recourse. I was penalized for wiping my nose with a tissue in a class, which it is worth noting because I had a terrible cold and their late cancellation penalties put you in a situation where you have to work sick.It is a very discouraging place to work. I would strongly recommend that people only consider this as a last resort or to get through a transition.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
management
I love being able to work from home in my pajamas while my family is still sleeping. I finish teaching and I am ready to start my day! Pay isn’t the highest for an ESL company but bookings are consistent and there is no minimum slot requirement.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
No raises or advancements
While i appreciated the flexibility to be able to travel around and work a the same time, it can be frustrating to not have job security regarding how much you can expect to earn each month. Easy enough job and I appreciated the lack of a commute!
Pros
flexible lifestyle
Cons
little job security
  1. English As A Second Language Teacher