VIPKID Employee Reviews for Teacher

See reviews about:
Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Great place to work from home.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaSeptember 7, 2017
You get the opportunity to teach ESL online from the comfort of your home. Very professional, great incentives, provided curriculum, IT support, lovely families and unique experiences. Company got #5 on top of best places to work from home list from Forbes this year. Now they're also offering in-person coaching at some cities in the country. You can work from anywhere in the world as long as you have a reliable Internet connection, a webcam and a headset. It is very fun!
Great place to work from home for real!
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Sandy, UTSeptember 5, 2017
You set your hours- work as much or as little as you want. You get to make a difference in so many children's lives. Great way to work and still stay at home with your family. They listen to their teachers and try to make accommodations. They do well communicating and trying to support their employees. I highly recommend working here!
Pros
You set your schedule, awesome kids, great way to work and have a home/life balance
Cons
As a contract employer you only get 6 cancellations per 6 months
Is this an identity scam??
Teacher (Former Employee) –  SCAugust 19, 2017
The company wanted me to scan and email a copy of my passport. Feels a lot like a scam. Is it? Or is this job for real?? Feedback would be extremely helpful and appreciated!!
Love it
Teacher (Current Employee) –  HomeAugust 17, 2017
I was skeptical at first because it looked like a scam but I tried it anyway. It's a time consuming interview process but if you practice and follow all directions it's easy. I passed and have been teaching for 3 months now, I love it!! I get to stay home and make money. I have to wake up earlier than I would like but I've gotten used to it. Everyone is very supportive and I enjoy 'going to' work ! The children are adorable and so eager to learn it makes waking up early or staying up late manageable :) Their cancellation policy is very strict however you're in charge of your own schedule so just don't sign up for what you can't handle.
Pros
Stay at home, Pay, Fun work environment
Cons
Communication is not immediate due to time difference
A blast!
Teacher (Current Employee) –  RemoteAugust 1, 2017
Amazing work from home opportunity! Flexibility in scheduling while still being able to build a solid student base. Freedom to teach to students' needs without having to prep curriculum.
One on one teacher (Current Employee) –  Home BasedJuly 26, 2017
VIP kid is a wonderful place to work. I have gained so much experience working with children where English is their second language. I appreciate the support that is given all the time through VIPKID.
Pros
Support, training, user friendly, easy to use.
Cons
Takes a bit to get bookings
Best job ever!!! Supportive teacher environment, good pay, stay home with kids!
Teacher (Current Employee) –  MDMay 23, 2017
This is truly one of the best jobs i have ever had. throw on my orange shirt and walk down to my home office (while the rest of the family sleeps} and teach sweet, loving children across the world. So you may have to wake up earlier then you may want to...but it is so worth it to be done by 10am. You make your hours...open up time slots that the parents can book for their children. Check it out....cant beat it.
Pros
decent pay, good work environment, stay home with kids, low stress
Cons
Still working out some kinks on policies...but trying to improve for betterment of teachers
Love it
TEACHER (Current Employee) –  FloridaMay 1, 2017
This is a good company. They want to treat the teachers well so they bring a good experience to the students. Fast paced and competitive. Offer a good experience to keep students booking you.
Great Place to work from home
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 27, 2017
Great Company to work from home. You can set your hours and work as many as you want. You are home, so no commute. The company is growing like crazy, so they will continue to improve.
No benefits as an independent contractor but perfect in all else!
Independent Teacher (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 20, 2017
I get to work enough to cover rent and bills in an EXPENSIVE city, allowing my husband's real salary to go toward lots of other thing. It's part time work that is soooo much fun and almost completely stress free! There is no lesson planning because they work with the student to find their level, and do all the curriculum so that all you have to do is teach a PowerPoint! The kids are so full of life and personality, and it makes me so happy that I get to do this in the morning and spend the rest of my day being a mom and dog mom! 💜
Pros
Great company, helpful, great pay for part time, TONS of freedom, no lesson planning, amazing children, good incentive programs for bonus money, flexibility
Cons
No benefits but it's part time and independent so that's expected, you can win VIPKID shirts but cannot just buy them
An excellent company for self-motivated people looking for flexible hours
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Collingswood, NJApril 10, 2017
VIPKID is a Chinese-based company, and if you work for them as a teacher, you are working as a contractor, which means that you will need to primarily be responsible for promoting yourself and ensuring your own success. I have found nothing but positive experiences working for this company, having kept that in mind. They are constantly working to improve their company, their communications, and their curriculum. The Chinese employees that handle parent communications are helpful and supportive. The pay is commensurate with the amount of work expected and they frequently offer bonuses or incentives on top of the base pay. I love this company.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Structured way to teach with good pay
Teacher (Current Employee) –  United StatesMarch 26, 2017
I have been with VIPKids for just a month now, and I find it to be fun and I really love the students I teach. I have read some reviews complaining about requirements, however my full time job involves sales and every company out there has rules and regulations. Quite frankly, if you can't follow corporate rules, be on time (or early) for each appointment, and have a solid internet connection, then you have no business applying for an on line job no matter what it is :)
I find VIPKids to have easy to follow curriculum, easy to schedule/modify hours, and a great pay scale. I am very happy I found them.
Pros
very fun students, rewarding work, nice pay scale
Cons
early morning hours
Awful Communication
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMarch 22, 2017
At first I really liked the job. But as soon as I missed one class the communication has been very negative. Parents can leave feedback but when it's translated it doesn't make any sense. I really loved this job at first but again, the teachers are the ones who are completely penalized for everything. Communication is absolutely awful and the hours are insane. If you want it to be more than a small income you have to work crazy hours that are inconsistent because you never know what times you will get booked (yes, you make your own schedule but you have to have all of your available times open). I wanted to try working as much as possible, so the graveyard shift and instead I get one at midnight then possibly a 2am then maybe a 3 or 4 then 5, 7, 8am... If they could promise you your times it would make it much easier. You can't get used to working nights when the times are so inconsistent.
Pros
work from home
Cons
communication, graveyard shift times, inconsistent times, too many student no shows
Great for supplemental income
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 2, 2017
I work about 20 hours a week for this company. I enjoy the incentives and referral program. It is hard to wake up early and be excited to teach, but it's nice that I get paid to legitimately work from home.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Early hours
work at home part time in the morning/night
Contract Teacher (Current Employee) –  IdahoFebruary 7, 2017
VIP kid is an online school that teaches children in China English. Working as a contract teacher you work during the hours that it is afternoon/evening in China which is typically in the middle of the night in the United States. The amount of work/lessons you teach is determined by how many parents click on your profile and sign their child up for your classes. Sometimes you can have a full schedule and make a lot of money, but other times you can have only one lesson for an entire week. Each lesson is typically priced at $7.50 per half hour lesson, so you want to get as many lessons taught as possible.
Pros
You can work at home and have the whole day to care for your children.
Cons
There is no guarantee of work to be done.
Good Supplemental Income
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Work at HomeJanuary 28, 2017
It's a good company to work for. There are required hours during the week that you have to be available for work. The kids are generally very eager to learn.
Good job
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Work from homeJanuary 8, 2017
Set your own hours, work from home, raise after time put in, incentives, bonuses. I love working from home and being able to control my schedule. The only thing that isn't ideal about the job is the parents but that is typical for teachers. This is a company based in China. You get paid once a month via direct deposit. Everything is done online through their own teaching portal. It is very structured and they want you to teach using their style and methods. Overall, it is a good job.
Pros
Prize giveaways, bonuses, raises
Cons
the parents
Don't waste your time
Former teacher (Former Employee) –  GADecember 6, 2016
I have taught for 12 years and at first VIPKid seemed so put together with all of their training videos and steps to becoming a teacher with them. As I started on, I was set to teach part-time. When I was scheduled to teach a class (you can pick your hours), I had no notification that a class was scheduled unless I got online. There are last minute bookings and if they are not caught in time (or you aren't checking your bookings online enough) you can miss and then it is counted against you as a missed class. There was no mention that most of the hours available are on the weekend (which was not easy to pull off for me).

The worst part was, I filled out two major forms for pay and RECEIVED NONE. I mentioned this to several staff members. I was told to fill out an additional form, and then never saw my pay come in. This was in August. It is now December!!! The last time I tried to contact the company, I heard nothing back. Very unprofessional, very hard to get in touch with superiors and they speak very little English usually.
I. would. not. waste. your. time. or. talents.
Pros
Lessons
Cons
No pay
Great for Supplemental Income
Online Teacher (Current Employee) –  VirtualJuly 21, 2016
I have worked with this company for 4 months. My schedule still fluctuates, and therefore so does my paycheck. My first month I barely made $200 and my highest month I made over $1000.

Of course, the international wire fee to get the money in your account is usually about $15, and you are also considered an independent contractor, so a certain percentage of what you make will go to IRS when it's tax time.

I figured out that weekends are the most lucrative. So if you want to make any money schedule available slots for the weekends. If you are in the US, you will work mostly early morning hours (as in before dawn), or Friday and Saturday evenings. (There is a 12-14 hour time difference between US and China.)

Policies can change, and HQ usually communicates the changes swiftly and without much teacher input. There are hundreds of teachers around the globe, so they don't have much time to collect opinions/ideas/feedback, although they try to appear as if they do.

If you have questions (or if something out of the ordinary occurs during class time) you use an online platform to communicate with support staff directly. The only problem is that your concerns are always assigned to the same representative, who may or may not be a native English speaker. Sometimes you have specific questions, and it takes a lot of determination to get a specific answer.

The same online platform is used to connect teachers to one another for exchanging ideas. I've picked up some helpful tips from this site.

The scope and sequence (recently revamped) is set, and you do very little
  more... lesson prep prior to the actual lessons. The power point, graphics, and activities are well-designed and engaging. Sometimes you may find grammar errors or activities that aren't clear, and you just submit a request for them to be edited and it gets taken care of quickly.

Most of the students are cooperative, focused, and interested. A rare few are not interested, nor well-behaved.

Ultimately I enjoy this job because it represents how technology is making our globe more connected. Could this position have even existed a decade ago? Everyday I travel to a kid's home in China, to teach them a new language. Pretty cool.
Pros
Motivated students, supportive parents, Minimal prep time required
Cons
Wire fees, Communication with HQ is tightly-controlled, Schedule fluctuates
Innovative and Fun Teaching Experience
VIPKid Teacher (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 24, 2015
VipKid is an innovative English immersion program for ESL students in China. The curriculum developed is colorful, effective, and fun for both teachers and students.
Pros
flexible schedule, good pay, great training
Cons
works on Chinese time