Virgin Islands Water & Power Authority Employee Reviews

Its all about kissing butts
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Saint Croix, VIDecember 19, 2018
Working with the Authority is like pulling a tooth. You are only looked upon when kissing management butt and being their puppet. They tend to ignore, give the cold shoulder to the individual that take their job seriously and provide with ideas or suggestions for a job. They take that as you either being cocky or wanting to act like you know things. If you were hired for a specific job, you would expect people to at least be impressed or appreciative to the fact that you know what you are talking about, instead of looking at you like I'm the boss not you type of way.
Pros
lot of government days off
Challenging
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  St Croix, VIDecember 25, 2017
Challenging work place, I have learned to work in an fast paced environment that is demanding of the employees to get the job done on a timely basis. I enjoyed being a team player and dedicated to getting the job done.
No proper planning and Job achievment
2nd Class Machinist/Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  St Croix, VINovember 27, 2017
On a typical day at work task are given based on preventative maintenace needed. Management have no order in terms of planing and providing proper tools needed to get job completed. Best part of this job is payday.
ok place
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee) –  St Thomas, VIOctober 16, 2017
My typical day consist of Customer care, collecting money to keep electricity and water on at the customer residence or business. I also educated customers about there utility bill.
Pros
satisfy customer
Cons
unsatisfying customer
N/a
Meter Serviceman (Former Employee) –  Christiansted, VIAugust 30, 2017
Great company to work for. good company to start your career. friendly environment. overall i had fun working for the company but it takes long to advance to a new position.
Govt job
General Maintenance Worker 2nd Class (Current Employee) –  St Croix, VIJuly 16, 2017
its a highly professional Career with opportunity for advancement. the compensation is fairly average for all the hard labor put in on a daily basis .
great Place
meter reading Department-clerk dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Puerto RicoMarch 30, 2017
Manager needs to be more pleasant more up lifting towards employess.
Employess are great, but we it can be way better.
Work load is stressful and a lot.
Pros
Grat place
Cons
no break
Great Business
Any (Current Employee) –  St Thomas, VIJune 9, 2016
Its a great business with a big family. Does a lot for the community and its employees. Making big changes in generating power.
Antiquated
Lead Accounts Analyst-Key Accounts Department (Current Employee) –  St. Croix, US Virgin IslandsJanuary 14, 2015
Must be able to multitask with minimum support and produce great output.
Fast paced working environment
Clerk Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  St. CroixOctober 8, 2014
Working as a Clerk Dispatcher you must be able to handle working under pressure while meeting critical deadlines. Time management is very important in order to stay ahead and on top of daily work orders that have to completed before their billing cycle starts. The hardest part of being a Clerk Dispatcher is when you fall off track on your daily responsibilities. The most enjoyable part of being a Clerk Dispatcher is the customer satisfaction after they have received quality service.
Good place to learn and gain experience.
2nd Class Lineman (Current Employee) –  St. Croix USVIOctober 6, 2014
Typical day includes getting your job for the day from your supervisor. Go get the necesarry materials to get the job or jobs completed for the day. Good Management . Co-workers are always there to help out or show u different ways to get the job completed. Hardest part of the job might be sometimes working through some serious heat. Great Family environment.
filing report
Legal Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas Virgin IslandsAugust 11, 2014
A day at work I do subpoenas, litigation, claims etc... On a daily basic I do contracts setup appointments for the Attorneys for meeting and different cases. Management need more understanding.
co-worker is good. when you have so many deadlines at once sometimes the same day. I learn new thing and experience a lot.
Pros
have benefits
Cons
benefits to high
Very political work place with lost of blatant nepotism present
Legal Secretary - General Counsel Department (Former Employee) –  St. Croix, USVIJanuary 31, 2014
Company claims there is no money for training's or raises but you keep seeing people being hired and new unnecessary equipment being bought.
Pros
company pays for employees insurance
Cons
very little training and ability for upward mobility; work place harassment
Productive, busy, challenging and customer oriented workplace
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, VISeptember 20, 2013
My typical workday is very busy from start to end. I see numerous of customers on a daily bases dealing with varoius issue such billing, payment plan, net metering and general inquries about their account. I work with two governments on enery rebate programs to assist the citizen of the Virgin Islands in reducing their light bills.

I have defiantley learned how multitask and deal with various governmental and private entities. In management I have learned how to effectively deal with various personalites within my department and with customers.

The most enjoyable part of my job is that I like to work and enteract with people.
Pros
Health care, coworkers and benefits
Cons
abusive customers
It was interesting because i did alot of hands-on work.
Welder (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, Virgin IslandsJune 25, 2012
I would start work at 7:30. Upon arriving work we would be given jobs that needed to be done around the power plant. We would work on those jobs until completion. I learned different welding techniques and about how to repair different equipment in the plant. The hard part of the job was when repairs were being made in hot and tight spaces. The part of the job i liked most was the ability to learn how the power plant runs.
Pros
moderate pace of work, breaks
Cons
heat