Virginia Beach City Public Schools Employee Reviews

Great teachers, horrible administrators
Spanish Teacher (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 26, 2019
I have no problem sending my kids to any of the schools because the teachers are dedicated professionals who, despite being treated like second class citizens, continue to put the students first.
Pros
Great teachers
Cons
Corrupt school board, unethical admins
Complicated
Staff (Current Employee) –  Virginia BeachMarch 8, 2019
Processes within this school system are more complicated than they should be. It feels like it takes an act of congress to get simple things accomplished. Not to mention having to fight with human resources about your compensation and benefits.
Pros
helping children
Cons
low pay, not enough days off
Fast paced and enjoyable.
Technical Support Technician (Current Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 7, 2019
Involves lots of problem solving and technical skills. A typical day may involve fixing and repairing computer hardware, providing customer support to parents via the telephone, assisting with student arrival and dismissal, providing student an/or teacher data, software and internet issues. The job also involves data collection and may involve supporting administration in rolls such as Crisis Response and student management. No day is the same.
Pros
holidays
Steady but unpredictable
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 4, 2019
Most people were pleasant. I worked as a substitute teacher. Although there could be plenty of work one did not always get the job one signed up for. There wasn’t enough time time spent in one place to build any relationships and there was no supervision.
Pros
Money
Cons
Just part time
Collaborative workplace environment
Teacher (Kindergarten, 5th Grade) (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 24, 2019
Great opportunities for collaboration.
Expectations are high for students and staff.
Curriculum is based on state standards, but there are few concrete resources to use to teach. A lot of resources come from teachers searching the internet.
Cons
Large class sizes.
Vbcps
Special Education Teachers Aid (Current Employee) –  VirginiaFebruary 19, 2019
Like any work place there is stress, gossip, sickness, and overall bad days. However, the people at my school location have been kind and helpful. I have a new respect for teachers and the efforts they put in to keep our children safe and educated. However, the pay is horrible and unlivable. This is the only reason I've chosen not to stay.
blarney sone
Substitute Educator (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 18, 2019
it was good. okay. great. all day. had fun. didn't have fun. cool. exuberant. learning environment. people working together. students learning. all is well
Vbcps
Kempsville High School English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VA 23464February 9, 2019
Teaching for VBCPS was very rewarding. I established great relationships with staff and felt I had an immediate impact on the learning and development of the students in my class.
Excellent school system!
Teacher (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJanuary 13, 2019
VBCPS is a top level school system. The teachers are well educated and are well prepared by the school system to plan, teach, assess, and collaborate. A typical day is as follows; teach 8:00-2:30, one or two 30 minute breaks to lesson plan or collaborate, and a 30 minute lunch break. The management is very supportive and the workplace culture is a positive atmosphere. The hardest part of the job is time management due to the requirements of lesson planning, collaborating, assessing, disciplining, teaching, and managing curriculum expectations. The most enjoyable part of the job was the relationships built with teachers, staff, administrators , and students. I learned that hard work pays off, and I am always learning.
Pros
Administrative support
Cons
Little to no breaks in a day.
Nice enough for temp work
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 6, 2019
I was hired as a temp in the office of the bus garage. Nice people and good experience. I learned a lot about office work and the people were very friendly.
Pros
Lots of different jobs
Cons
Gossipy
January 22, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We hope you will consider full-time employment opportunities within the division.

School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 6, 2019
My first real job in America. I loved the people their and the opportunities to move around in the school system. I miss driving buses there. Would never drive a school bus in my area.
Pros
Holidays were paid for bus drivers
Cons
No cons.
January 22, 2019

Thank you for your kind words. We are so glad you enjoyed your time with Virginia Beach City Public Schools. If you are ever back in the area, we hope you will consider driving with us again.

Great work environment
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJanuary 3, 2019
Great learning experience. As a substitute, I wasn't eligible to have health insurance, however, I really enjoyed work as a PE instructor as I was able to promote learn in classroom and health through physical activity.
January 22, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. It is always great to hear that substitutes are enjoying being part of the VBCPS team. If you are interested in health insurance, we hope you will seek full-time employment opportunities within the division!

everyones great
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 2, 2019
start early long lunch break loud kids school administrator not much help not a clear career path would like more hours some schools not very organized
January 22, 2019

Thank you for taking time to leave your feedback and rate VBCPS. We are so thankful for the service you provide to the children of our division. If you would like information about picking up more hours, please contact the Office of Transportation and Fleet Management Services.

It's fine
Teacher (Current Employee) –  VirginiaDecember 17, 2018
Working here has it's perks and it's downside. After going to school for an advancement in my career, this district lacks opportunity. Because of the lack of opportunity, I am looking elsewhere for employment.
January 22, 2019

We're sorry to hear you are looking elsewhere for employment. We strive to offer the best career and professional growth opportunities. All of our job openings are posted online, and we hope you will give them one last look to see if any open positions match your skill set. Thank you for taking time to leave your review.

A large school system with some incredible staff and students
Spanish Teacher (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 19, 2018
Virginia Beach City Public Schools do a super job serving an extremely large and diverse community. They continue to provide a safe and nurturing environment in which to work and to learn.
December 5, 2018

Meeting the needs of our students and staff is our biggest priority, and we’re thrilled that our team members are pleased with the results. Thank you for taking time to rate our division and leaving your feedback.

Productive and fun workplace
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 7, 2018
I enjoyed my years of working as a teacher in Virginia Beach. If I didn't have to leave to assist my aging parent, I would still work there. I would be interested in working with them again.
Pros
people
December 5, 2018

We are so sorry to hear that you had to leave, but so glad that you spent many happy years with VBCPS. If you get the chance to return to employment we would love to have you back. We wish you all the best with the care of your parent.

Professional and a great school system to work for
teacher assistant substitute (Former Employee) –  VirginiaNovember 5, 2018
A typical day was helping children with reading instruction, and other literacy skills and areas. I learned more about how to work with young children. The teachers and staff worked well together, a great work environment. Working with young children was the most enjoyable part and watching children thrive in learning.
December 5, 2018

We serve the children of the division, and to know that every team member delights in their learning is tremendous. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Teacher
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 21, 2018
Positive- Workplace culture is super. Great school district, fantastic people, professional development bar none. Negative- This is for the entire teaching profession, too many hours after school and pay is way too low for amount of stress and hours put in.
Pros
Students. Peers.Administration. Great district.
Cons
Pay. Parent involvement. State testing
December 5, 2018

We are so glad you had such a positive experience with VBCPS, and that your career was enhanced by our professional development program. We are working diligently to combat industry pitfalls and your feedback helps us keep focused on what is most important to our teachers. Thank you for taking time to leave your review.

workplace culture
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VA 23453October 8, 2018
Even though it was a diverse working environment, people still didn't get treated the same.
So the hardest part of the job was not being treated fairly and being under paid.
October 9, 2018

We are very sorry you have had this experience with VBCPS. We are devoted to creating an environment of inclusion and celebration of the diversity of our students, faculty, and staff. We will use your feedback in our continuing efforts to ensure our workplace culture is the best it can be.

The start of this school year saw division-wide salary raises, as well as changes regarding pay scales based on creditable years of verified work experience. We strive to always offer competitive and fair salaries.

Thank you for taking time to leave your review, and best of luck in your future endeavors.

Well-managed Organization
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VASeptember 29, 2018
VBCPS is a school system which strives to maintain a positive environment for both staff and students. The level of resources provided for instruction is top-notch.
October 1, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to rate VBCPS and providing your feedback.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Virginia Beach City Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Virginia Beach City Public Schools Reviews by Location