Virginia Beach City Public Schools logo
Happiness rating is 76 out of 100Above average

Virginia Beach City Public Schools Employee Reviews

Virginia Beach City Public Schools insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

The students are wonderful!

A typical day is tutoring 8-9 small groups of students throughout the day. The students are wonderful but the pay is not commensurate to the amount of work.

Pros

The students are wonderful

Cons

Low salary

Its never the job, always management

I left this job due to a lack of good management. I’ve gotten promoted twice. Upon my last promotion, my new supervisor was intolerable. He was not a leader. He offered no words of encouragement or advice. You have no support as a building manager. If you want a yes man as a supervisor, go for it. Management encourages tips and advice, but takes none into consideration. The building manager position is a revolving door. People coming and going, as they are not pleased with how the position is being managed. The workload is too much for one person. Lord forbid you receive more than two schools at a time. You spend your day hopping from school to school, even though you have a “planned schedule “. Tons of emergency calls and random missions from your supervisor. This job gives ZERO satisfaction, as your work is never done, or appreciated.

Pros

good co-workers, friendly teachers

Cons

Short breaks, expectations do not match work hours, random nonsense requests, lack of management, military style management

Great staff but unfortunately no accountability for bad leadership

While I enjoyed my time working for vbcps, working for a school with bad leadership was extremely stressful. Staff was wonderful but the toxicity of the leadership trickled down and made it a negative work environment.

Pros

Supportive coworkers

Cons

Bad Leadership

Don't work here. Bad.

Find other jobs with higher pay and kinder people. It's political. They will throw you under the bus. Everyone is connected to each other and are friends. Don't work here. There is a reason there are so many job openings-they treat you like you are nothing.

Pros

Kids are happy

Cons

Employees are unhappy.

Equity practices needs improvement.

The children are wonderful. However, when is comes to advancement, VBCPS operates under the "good ol' boy and girl" system. You cannot expect to move the school system forward by hiring and retaining people with old ideas.

Pros

Kids are easy to work with.

Cons

Hard to advance your career if you are not pegged as one of them.

Your experience matters.

Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.

You will learn a lot and work a lot at his job. The work was fulfilling. Management is great. The hardest part of this job is the unexpected problems that pop up

Pros

Breaks

Cons

Unexpected problems

It was a good place to work.

Productive pand fun workplace. Is a structured job that can't provide much flexibility. Overall good experience and people are good and helpful to work with.

Pros

People

Cons

Pay

Great Work Environment

Super fun work environment and great staff. They're super understanding and do their best to help you succeed. The work is very fulfilling, but you get what you put into it.

very collegial and friendly coworkers

Been on the job for almost 2 months and found everyone to be helpful and welcoming. Culture of wanting people to succeed. Also like that I don't have to pay for parking like my last job

Pros

great environment

Cons

not many windows

Some management staff negative and not supportive of staff

Culture depends on the school you are in. Some managers in some schools are very proactive while others are not at all or seem to have "favorite" staff who are treated differently with different expectations placed on them.

Jobs at Virginia Beach City Public Schools

See more jobs

Great quality of life job!!!!!

You get off work at a decent time so you can take care of personal things if needed. No holidays, no weekends. Management is great and understanding. Co workers are very helpful.

Pros

Great hours

Cons

Everyone works together to make it a friendly and productive work environment.

I loved working with the children and staff. Everyone worked as a family, striving to help every staff member to succeed. I throughly loved my time there!

Room for job growth and opportunities abound

Working for the school system provides great opportunity. The ability to diverge to different departments provided job security, till the advent of the novel Covid19. Hopefully once school system affairs become a bit normal, opportunities will still abound.

Fulfilling

I worked for VBCPS part time while my kids were students. Hours were great. Environment was uplifting.Pay was fair.I enjoyed every day and learned so much.

I’m home

I have finally found a place I love to come to work every day. It feels so much more like I am coming home to family when I work. The Administration is so supportive!

Great place to work if you love kids! Get hired as a full time employee and the benefits are great! Make sure to find the school that fits for you. Thanks

Great starting job

This job had allowed me to have a great work life balance. I haven't had any issues that were major while working here. I left due to moving out of the area

Needs more Diversity

I serve as a Career and Technical Education administrator for the school division. I provide instructional support (curriculum development, planning, coordinating, staff development training, and assessment) to 23 different content areas that have a direct pipeline to the workforce. Additionally, I am extensively involved in the planning, operating, and evaluation of after school robotics programs at 62 schools.

Good Benefits and Work/Life Balance

Good Benefits and most drivers and office staff are nice and friendly. Pay is pretty low but the work/life balance and job flexibility makes it worth it for me.

Pros

Benefit package, off on holidays and weekends

Cons

Salaries are low

Productive and fun place to work

I enjoyed working in the Virginia Beach City Public Schools. I worked at one elementary school and two high schools. I worked hard and gave my best work. It was not always easy. The people I worked with were truly inspirational and always helpful. I could always ask for help when it was needed.I retired in 2015 but still continue to substitute in any of the Virginia Beach City Public Schools as I am called upon. I am proud of my work there.

Pros

Productive meetings

Cons

Short breaks

Very low pay

Low pay for work performed. No raise unless health insurance premiums go up. Unfair division of labor. Managers play favorites. I wouldn't recommend this job to people who need to pay bills.

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Virginia Beach City Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.0Personal Development
3.4Career Opportunities
2.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight