Virginia Beach City Public Schools

Virginia Beach City Public Schools Employee Reviews

United States225 reviews
Virginia Beach City Public Schools offers a variety of jobs to do within the school system. From working full-time to part time as a substitute working at schools and differenthours
Pros
Job security
Low pay for work performed. No raise unless health insurance premiums go up. Unfair division of labor. Managers play favorites. I wouldn't recommend this job to people who need to pay bills.
Cons
They are flexible and administration is very helpful. They provide you with all the resources you need to succeed. But, some schools have non compliant students sch as Bay side High and Green Run High.
Virginia beach public schools is amazing they treat their employees great and help them out when they need it and very outgoing the supervisor builds relationships with there groups its amazing
VBCPS is one of the best employers to work for. I've been truly happy with the many years I've put in so far. Its all about putting our students first and helping them to succeed for their future.
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
Teaching is tough. I sub in special ed classes that are self contained and resource/inclusion settings It was tough as a teacher and remains tough as a sub for different reasons.
Virginia Beach City Public Schools is one of the largest school district in United States. There is room to select between different grade levels of work. The diversity of pupils and staff makes a wonderful place to be a part of as an employee.
Evaluations, individual and group counseling, case management, court support for attendance, community resources, 3 schools. Wonderful employer and wonderful position!
On average it’s a fair job. Worst part of job would be the untimely manner of HR getting you into their system and call out procedures could be better.
Pros
See above
Cons
See above
It is a good place to gain knowledge of your craft but it is an inconsistent toxic environment where what is said and what is done are two different things.
The day runs 8:30 - 4:30. At this level they offer two hours of planning time each day.
Lunches are very short due to hallway and cafeteria duty. Usually about 20 minute lunch break. It is mandatory that each teacher facilitate a 25 minute study hall daily.
To be on the ground floor of hiring all staff for schools is exciting, as well as helping people of all ehnecities find employment and life long jobs.
Pros
Beach Bags food program for low income famiies
Cons
Could have more affordable health care
Even though I worked there years ago, I felt this position was very satisfying. Hours, benefits and salary were comparable with other local companies in the Tidewater area. Management was supportive with possibilities of advancement. Hours were set although time was allotted for appointments and one could rearrange working hours to accommodate the department.
Truly enjoyed driving and my supervisor was great but higher up was terrible. I had a few messed up paychecks due someone in the office getting something mixed up and had to wait 60 days to get corrected. The payroll people are terrible especially one in particular. You can hear lots of favoritism and racism over dispatch. When they have messed up know one ever calls you back.
I really enjoy working for the Virginia Beach Schools systems. They really treat their employees fair with respect and understanding. I have been with the School System for 10 years and have enjoyed every minute.
- Fantastic trainers and upper management
- Enjoyed the team-oriented/friendly environment

- Lack of available substitute bookkeepers presents challenges when trying to take leave
My overall experience in Virginia Beach Public Schools has been wonderful. I’m glad to be a part of such a diverse, welcoming, and just amazing school system. I’ve met so many teachers that actually care for the well-being of their students and want students to succeed. It promotes every child to want to learn and allows them to learn effectively and efficiently.
Working with students is such a rewarding career, and Virginia Beach Public Schools provides an exceptionally supportive environment for both their students and staff. As a teacher assistant, I monitor and assist students while providing them continuous positive feedback. I am attentive to their concerns and do my best to serve as a role model. I am fortunate to work with amazing teachers as we collaborate to provide the students an exceptional learning experience.
In order to advance you either have to be related or be a favorite if none applies I’m sorry. Im a head night and I learned that I had to kiss a lot of rear ends to have a better living situation for myself and family. the pay sucks for the amount of B.S that comes with the job. Either you have a head day that doesn’t care or just doesn’t care about you. Just Depends on the school. Some I have seen just don’t care what you feel as long as you mess up, they just love to complain about you and won’t help you succeed. Also they talk a lot about you to other people and mock you for failing and word travels fast to other schools about you. sometimes I regret kissing ends to have a better living when I see this happen. and the only joy I get is when I see the teachers that actually admire our work that we do and as well as some of the coworkers that just make your day better when they see through to the truth.
I like working for VBCPS. It's a good place to teach and work with smart students. I am able to design a curriculum based on the needs of the workforce and what employers expect.
I enjoy it, but I want to work in a place with room for advancement. This is a good entry level position and a good learning experience. The job is pretty easy, but it doesn't lead to anything more.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Virginia Beach City Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.9
InHerSight Score
2.9Personal Development
3.2Career Opportunities
2.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Virginia Beach City Public Schools Reviews by Location