Virginia Beach City Public Schools
Happiness rating is 72 out of 100

Virginia Beach City Public Schools Employee Reviews

United States265 reviews

virginiateacherschoolbeachsubstitutestudentpublicteaching

Commitment to students is outstanding and curriculum is thought provoking.

A good place to work as a substitute teacher and in a trade position. Pay is competitive and work-life balance is outstanding. Work environment is comfortable. Building and technology updates are great.

It's an Educational System Problem, Not a District Problem (except for the pay)

If you like working for public education, VBCPS is fine. A lot of it depends on the building you're at because every building has its own culture. I have worked in a toxic building where I hated going every day and went on anxiety meds and a building in which I didn't experience anxiety. There's nothing amazing about working for VBCPS that would make it stand out over other local school districts. It's your average public school system. It's fine for what it is. The pay across the whole area (more than just VBCPS) needs to be greatly increased.

Virginia Beach City Public Schools insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

Great district but understaffed

This is a wonderful school division. However they understaff their dept of social workers, psychologists, and counselors. Our ratios are 1:3,000 and we’re in a mental health crisis. Our kids deserve better

Pros

Great resources

Cons

Understaffed

Great job if you're retired and/or make supplemental income

Typical day includes checking doors, working the front desk, directing traffic, and handling students for disciplinary reasons. Unfortunately you often get pulled into other tasks unrelated to security which takes away from the job purpose itself. These additional task include supervising classes without teachers, changing combos on lockers, enforcing dress code, handling book returns, giving teachers breaks, and giving out tardy passes.

Pros

Anyone can do it and management is overall understanding

Cons

Terrible pay, not a good job for someone needs a structured job

Good job for scheduling purposes

It is a good job for anyone to do while attending college. You will be up early, pre-trip your bus and be ready to pick up by the time required. Finish up mid-morning and have some down time to get things done, appts, shopping, whatever you need to do. Study, take online tests, or sleep. Then be back on the bus and ready to go by 2 in the afternoon, finishing up before 5 pm. Home in time to make dinner. The hardest part of the job is getting help from the schools when you have issues with certain students. Management can't help since it is site based. Having to drive in all kinds of weather, and not having AC on the bus. The most enjoyable part is the relationship between you and the students. It is very rewarding.

Pros

Great job. Great hours. Pay is improving. Offers benefits.

Cons

Sometimes not having the time to use the restroom, Not having schools back you up when writing referrals, Having to drive in hot weather with no AC.

Job security/ pay

Vbcps is a wonderful school system. I’m very proud of the school that I currently work at. We are a family and will support our colleagues, families, and especially the students. As in all school systems, there are problems that need to be addressed, but overall VBCPS is the best!!

People in education have some of the biggest hearts on the planet. As in all education careers, the pay is way way way below what it should be.

Education is great if your goal is to help children and the community, but it's terrible if you want to pay rent or feed yourself. I think people know that going in though.

Too much workplace gossip

Fulfilling to help people, but too much workplace gossip and negativity. People are mostly nice, but there is a lot of talking about people behind their backs.

It depends on the administration in each school building.

More and more, teachers are feeling undervalued, disrespected, unsupported, stressed, overworked, and given unrealistic deadlines for tasks that take them away from the most important part of the job that used to be actually "teaching".

work is predictable. So there's not much anxiety that is usually associated with not knowing what to expect on a day to day basis.

This is a wonderful organization to work for. Overall the company promotes a feeling of family and, because you are apart of that family you will be taking care of. There is always opportunity for growth. They hire internally, so you have a shoe in for new job openings in other departments. You are given at least a full 14 days paid time off as soon as you are hired. The calling out from work process is non-confrontational. You just enter the day you want off in the absence management system and you're done. Management positions change often, therefore you may or may not be satisfied with your manager. The good part is, if your manager is horrible, don't fret because its likely they will not be in the same position or school next year.

Good benefits. Earned time off and sick leave

Good place to work but low pay! Benefits are good and time off is generous. For the job done pay is low. Training is lacking but easy to learn on the job.

Benefits

Cons

Pay

Caffeteria Assistant Woker

I have been working as Caffeteria assistant since 2016 still now, I decided to go to school to have my degree in health science in 2020, So, when I finish my term, I asked the leadership if I could have 5 weeks off for my externship and they refused to do so, and they ask me to resign from my job by force because this benefits is only for the teacher not for others workers.The only benefit that they have is when you’re going for surgery or if you have health problems. They have no respect for Caffeteria Assistant not matter how hard you work for them.I do not recommended anybody to apply for Caffeteria Assistant job at Virginia Beach City Public Schools they do not care for their employees, but only for themselves.Also, this job is for elderly and for people who are retired from their jobs.

Productive & Fun Environment

Loved working for the school system, everyone was so nice and the office staffed worked really well together. lost of training and people were happy to help when you had questions

Teamwork

I had a good bus assistant. A real team player. Enjoyed driving a school bus. Due to covid pandemic made it difficult for bus schedules. Over worked so a lot of drivers and assistants are burnt out with every school system. Supervisors and drivers need to communicate better.

Pros

Time off during the day and contracts offered.

Cons

Long hours start 6am to basically 6pm with a minimum time for lunch.

Great job to have

Great job to have, everyone cares, and the attachment to the children is precious, you can sub or contact. If you sub you come whenever you feel like picking up a school to work at, if you wana be off that day it’s truly your choice until you pick up a school

Pros

Off all holidays and summers

Cons

Great place to learn and gain experience

I worked in the school system both as a student within the school and as an intern within administration. It was a great experience for me and it allowed me to transition a lot easier from school to a workplace enviroment.

It was a productive place and fun place to work

I taught in a high school. When you have worked in a place for many years, it felt like I was working among family members. Co-workers look out for you and you look out for them.

Pros

no free lunch

Cons

I do not have any con

Enjoyable Experience!

I enjoyed working as an intern for VBCPS. I was excited about my work, and I got to collaborate with wonderful people who were also passionate about their jobs.

Great part time job

I hate I had to leave. Most days I didn’t feel like I was working. I really enjoyed taking my students to and from school. They offer good benefits and you get holidays and summers off.

Pros

Having all holiday and summers off.

Cons

Pay

A good working environment

Not much for advancement or competitive salary but you do have summers off and benefits. But a school nurse is far more than just taking temperatures and passing out meds. The clinic in the school not only cares for students but staff of the school and all those who enter. The clinic acts more as a minor care and the nurses should be paid accordingly.

Pros

Summers off, benefits

Cons

No room for advancement or a competitive salary with other states or offices or hospitals

The students are wonderful!

A typical day is tutoring 8-9 small groups of students throughout the day. The students are wonderful but the pay is not commensurate to the amount of work.

Pros

The students are wonderful

Cons

Low salary

Common questions about Virginia Beach City Public Schools

Answered by current and former employees at Virginia Beach City Public Schools

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Virginia Beach City Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.8
InHerSight Score
3.2Personal Development
3.4Career Opportunities
2.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Virginia Beach City Public Schools with

Learn about Virginia Beach City Public Schools in popular locations

• Virginia Beach City Public Schools
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?