Virginia Commonwealth University Employee Reviews

Wonderful Teaching Experience
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 8, 2018
Through becoming a TA, I learned so much about managing a group of kids in a productive and creative way - as well as having one-on-one conversations with them about how to accomplish their technical goals.
Pros
Full-time, secure hours and payment
The Best Job I Ever Had
Inpatient Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 29, 2018
VCU Medical Center was one of the best jobs I have ever had. Management is rather recluse and will normally will only come out of their offices to reprimand you. The VCU Community is always happy and inviting. It has been a great experience and I hope to be here for a very long time.
Good Benefits
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 11, 2018
State benefits are excellent: vacation leave, volunteer hours leave, sick leave - self and family, and personal leave. State retirement plans through VA Retirement System, and Free Education.
Pros
Flexible Work Hours
Cons
Micromanaging with Bullying
Underpaid Graduate Teaching Assistants
Richmond - Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 11, 2018
As a GTA at VCU, you will do the exact same work as a professor and be paid nearly minimum wage to do so with absolutely no benefits. One or two out of twenty students in your class cover your salary while the rest goes to the school.
computer logging in experimental data
Smart Materials Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 8, 2018
Typical day includes either researching other university papers related to the experiment being/about to be done or creating graphs/plots for data collected. Can sometimes include creating experimental parts by hand (I find this to be the most enjoyable part) or even conducting the experiment yourself (under supervision). Days can drag on if there are few things to do
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere, hands on experimentation
Cons
Can have few things to do
Communications Operator (Former Employee) –  Richmond VaJune 6, 2018
Very professionally managed environment. Learned a lot working there while growing up. University paid classes, community based activities. The University has taken over the entire downtown Richmond and is very busy setting.
Pros
paid classes
Cons
downtown parking
Research experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 4, 2018
This is a great way to get your foot in the door as a research assistant. There are many opportunities here for research and if you can build rapport with a professor and see if you can squeeze into their lab, they would mostly likely be happy to have you!
pharmacy tech-outpatient
Employee Pharmacy Lead Tech (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 3, 2018
management needs a serious overhaul-they overlook everything and ppl get away with whatever they want. they write up whomever they choose and overlook it if other ppl are doing the same thing
Great Place to Start
Special Projects Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 1, 2018
For someone who needed some king of basic foundation in my field. I strongly believe that this school/company is a good place to begin. You are surrounded by kind people that are constantly willing to help you learn and improve. I honestly can't say a single bad thing about them.
no chance to move up
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 25, 2018
Was a big mistake to come here
Took a step back and now without a chance to move up
Health system is financially stressed with lots of pressure on physicians that is misguided.
Good Overall
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 24, 2018
This job has an excellent benefits package, although salaries are not as competitive, and are further reduced by paying for parking.. I really appreciate the diverse work environment and the indigent care that we provide for those in need in our community. I also enjoy the fact that we have a lot of autonomy at this institution. Some of the most unfortunate aspects are the out of touch management and sometimes working in unsafe conditions.
Pros
Excellent benefits, diversity, indigent care, and autonomy.
Cons
Parking and management.
A place of learning
Oncology- Clinical Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 22, 2018
Data entry and processing samples was a typical day, consenting patients.
I learned how to check my work to make sure it was accurate
It was a hard workplace culture
The hardest part of the job was the work load, there needed to be more CRA's than was there per team.
The most enjoying part of the job was learning new things
Positive Experience
Student Tutor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 19, 2018
Great student working experience. Flexible schedule and great management while working and attending school as a student. Highly recommend to others looking for basic job skills.
Great place to get to know new people!
RESIDENT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Cabaniss HallMay 17, 2018
VCU Residential Life and Housing really cares about its employees. As a resident assistant, I always felt like I was supported in whatever I was doing. The staff is knowledgeable and is there to help everyone, personally and professionally.
Good for building confidence
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 15, 2018
Any job on campus requires a level of excellent customer service. All jobs help for future employment and it helps to get to know your campus better. This job specifically is time-consuming and can be stressful but if you put in the effort, its extremely rewarding.
Great place to work at
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 7, 2018
I gained so much experience working in the biomedical engineering department. I was also able to complete my master's degree during my stay at VCU. Every difficulty I have faced at my job was just another step to a greater future.
Exciting new program.
Adjunct Faculty Instructor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 29, 2018
Developing a module for a new remote learning certificate program was a lot of work but also very exciting. The biggest challenge initially was learning the technology later it was developing the brand new content. The best part is was being engaged in an area of health care I love, sharing it with fellow healthcare practitioners and the exchange of ideas that followed. Management was organized, supportive, helpful, and made themselves available.
Pros
Academic freedom of content to meet the course requirements made it fun.
Cons
A lot of work building a new curriculum.
I enjoyed my experience as a painting instructor.
Painting Instructor Off-Campus Art Faculty (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAApril 25, 2018
As an artist this job challenging.
My job was to inspire and motivate adults.
It was rewarding to see each student evolve creatively and technically.
Its great!
Compliance Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 17, 2018
Give us your opinion about:
Best place to work.
Typical day at work.
what you learned.
workplace culture.
the hardest part of the job.
the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Its great!
Student
Student (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 13, 2018
You are interviewing for an investment analyst position at a regional investment firm investing in small and medium sized multi-family projects. You are asked to give a sample investment analysis for a one hundred-unit apartment complex in North Miami-Dade. Since you went to FIU, you feel good about having this as a test case since you have first hand knowledge of the market.