Virginia Commonwealth University Employee Reviews

Custodian Worker (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 13, 2018
The housekeeping department need to step up a bit and have some type of understanding and responsibilities about the work and the job site, and work x
Pros
Free food
Cons
People
Worth doing, but only once
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 11, 2018
Many of the other Resident Assistants were very two-faced and it's something to get used to when everyone is "supposed to get along", but it's probably the worst part of the job other than waking up at 3 a.m. to a call because someone got too drunk and sick or wanted to do something worse. Overall, positive experience.
Pros
Free housing
Cons
No meal plan until after I left
Very stressful environment.
Executive Secretary (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 7, 2018
First time working on an actual medical unit floor with actual patients. Previous experience with patients was only on paper in patient notes or phone calls. This was a new experience. I came in contact with a lot neurological patients, i.e., patients damaged permanently from automobile accidents, young victims of gun shot wounds what would never walk or be productive again.
Not appreciative of time spent with patients
Coordinator of the Adult Sickle Cell Program (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 29, 2018
On call 24/7. Long hours. Always available via pager. Supervising physician not available readily, so patient questions and concerns answered by me. Also, other healthcare professionals relied upon my knowledge and expertise to care for Sickle Cell patients as supervising physician did not answer his cell phone or pager. Rewarded by gratitude of my patients for everything that I did for them.
Pros
Relationships with patients, their families, other healthcare professionals
Cons
Poor communication with supervising physician
never again
Budget Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 28, 2018
finance dept is terrible. I would never work here.i would rather starve and die. everyone is treated with such disrespect. if you try to do work, you are run out of there. it is so crooked. and sharing of information is prohibited. I wonder what they are hiding. gross.
Too much not enough help
OB coordinator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VA 23284August 28, 2018
Very fast pace and no assistance when needed. Management when never available to give help or advise. Too bust to be bothered. Overload on the workload
Educational experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 14, 2018
VCU was a great university to attend. Really enjoyed my years there, getting to learn a lot and advance myself as a person. The atmosphere at VCU is very welcoming and the faculty and staff care and are helpful to see you go on to a brighter future.
Love vcu
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 14, 2018
Management, in my area, was very good. Understanding and professional. Potential growth here is also very good. Meet and work with many people from varying backgrounds
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 11, 2018
The job is okay it's just the people always want to stay close and ride your back. The supervisor and the manger in housekeeping have no organized skills.
Pros
University time
Cons
People
The benefits are great but you get a very poor work environment.
Applications Analyst (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 7, 2018
The benefits are great but you in exchange you may get a very poor work environment. Some work in outdated buildings with limited space. Some share a desk. Teleworking is very inconsistent. If your manager doesn't like it your team may have teleworking with strict guidelines or teleworking may not be an option at all. Some employees work with known mold spores and lighting issues. This place is all about the numbers and invest little in the people that perform the work. Depending on your manager your job can be very enjoyable or very demanding and stressful. You learn to teach yourself because there isn't a real orientation or guidance for new team members.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Poor working environment, management and work life balance
Lab Preceptor
Preceptor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 6, 2018
I learned a lot during my time as a preceptor, the Professor and the Lab TA were both great mentors and i learned a lot about how to properly relay information to someone who is new to the material.
Poor Leadership within the Department
Clerkship Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 5, 2018
Extremely poor management within our department. Supervisor was unprofessional and disrespectful, and fails to accept her own short-comings. Has been a very high turnover rate within the office.
Pros
Diverse working population
A student participating in Student Teaching
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 25, 2018
A typical day involved getting into the classroom and engaging in teaching various subjects. I learned how to determine specific learning styles and needs of many students.
Policy for Part time people
Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 24, 2018
There is a big difference between a part time person and a full time. Of course the full time person has all the benefits that are offered however the part time person is hung to dry. Times like winter break No pay check. After working a job for 1 year you should be able to move into a position of full time since in order for you to continue to you for a year or more you have proven yourself.
Pros
Nice people to work with including management
Cons
Parking and employment status
Na
VCU ADMINISTRATIVE ASST-FELLOWSHIP COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 23, 2018
Diverse working place. Great school benefits and healthcare needs. Loved to work at the pavilion and see wonderful children and doctors excel. Children were wonderful.
Chaplain Intern
Chaplain Intern (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 13, 2018
I was only at VCU for 6 months but in that times i learned so much. My mentors were great at helping me learn how the hospital functioned on a day to day basis. The place is huge but once you learn your way around it was good. It is a fast paced environment with dedicated people. I enjoyed my time there.
Wonderful Teaching Experience
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 8, 2018
Through becoming a TA, I learned so much about managing a group of kids in a productive and creative way - as well as having one-on-one conversations with them about how to accomplish their technical goals.
Pros
Full-time, secure hours and payment
The Best Job I Ever Had
Inpatient Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 29, 2018
VCU Medical Center was one of the best jobs I have ever had. Management is rather recluse and will normally will only come out of their offices to reprimand you. The VCU Community is always happy and inviting. It has been a great experience and I hope to be here for a very long time.
Good Benefits
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 11, 2018
State benefits are excellent: vacation leave, volunteer hours leave, sick leave - self and family, and personal leave. State retirement plans through VA Retirement System, and Free Education.
Pros
Flexible Work Hours
Cons
Micromanaging with Bullying
Underpaid Graduate Teaching Assistants
Richmond - Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 11, 2018
As a GTA at VCU, you will do the exact same work as a professor and be paid nearly minimum wage to do so with absolutely no benefits. One or two out of twenty students in your class cover your salary while the rest goes to the school.