Virginia Commonwealth University Employee Reviews

My college
Fashion Design and Merchandising Education (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 12, 2019
This college, and specifically my program (Fashion Merchandising) is a great program. All of out classes give us information and experience that is helpful to our future careers.
productive and excitement place
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 6, 2019
I work very hard there but in an excitement and encouragement work environment, I learnt a lot of new experiences and focused on a new project of designing new reactors.
Great Place to Work, but Probationary Period of One Year
Associate Director for Systems, Financial Aid (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 25, 2019
I enjoyed my job there but was forced to resign, or be fired, after only 5 months because they weren't happy with my job performance. If you don't make it through the one year probationary period, no job security.
Pros
Great Pay and Benefits Almost Unmatched
Cons
Management was Tough to Satisfy
VCU- Grad Assistant
Graduate Research Assistant, School of Social Work (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 25, 2019
I worked for social work professors who were supportive and encouraging and from who I learned a lot about research and writing. It was an excellent experience.
Adjunct Instructor
Lecturer of Anthropology (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 15, 2019
I have a lot of flexibility in designing and implementing coursework. So far, it is a great place to work as an adjunct. I still have limited experience, but will be teaching more courses next semester.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
limited benefits for part time
I was a genetics intern
Bioinformatics/Biotechnology Intern (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 6, 2019
I was an intern at a genetics lab, and mostly did laboratory maintenance/analysis tasks. I performed PCR and ran gels, helped program bioinformatics software.
Good employer
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 5, 2019
Good employer. Enjoyed my time there. The compensation at the time was not very good and I understand that it has only improved a bit. Additional training opportunities were not as readily available then as they are today.
Adjunct faculty
Field Liaison & Field Instructor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 5, 2019
They rely on adjuncts to teach classes, but don't pay them enough. If they are the backbone of your course instruction, they should be paid enough to live.
Great experience
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 25, 2019
I liked working with the chairman of the Finance program. He gives a lot of detail about the work to be accomplished. The work culture there is great, every professor is available for help whenever you have some difficulties. I don't think this job is difficult as long as you ask the right questions you will be fine.
fun wokplace
Volunteer Environmental Researcher Intern (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 14, 2019
Contributed with my team to research website articles, manage data collection and record data
Collected and analyzed data for preparation of reports and documents for cultural submissions
Discussed on a weekly basis current and past research that has significant psychological value regarding Maslow's hierarchy of needs
VCUHS is a great place to work
Director of Business Transformation (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 4, 2019
I have been here for 17 years, and have been more than satisfied with my career until recently. my work has varied through the years, from director of nursing to traveling to South Hill for a long period of time.
Tutor
TUTOR (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 1, 2019
Very rewarding and fun job. Managers were very heart warming, caring individuals that wanted us to be the best we could be.Enjoyed being a tutor at VCU. Its a great place to advance your career and become better.
Poor Management
SENIOR TRAINING SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 31, 2018
Last manager I worked for stole time, treated subordinates as less than human, no direct job knowledge. An overall uncompassionate, lazy, poor leader.
decent job
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VA 23220December 16, 2018
pay changes between summer and school year but other than that its alright. management is a bit tight, coworkers are decent. hours are not guaranteed
Pros
money
Cons
rules
Hospital Campus built into several blocks of the City of Richmond VA.
Valet Driver (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 15, 2018
Hospital Campus built in the City of Richmond with chances to work over time plus tips & health benefits. The hardest part of the job was the weather!
Pros
Hospital has restaurants & Barber. Over time available if you want them (hard!).
Cons
V.C.U. has a police & uses security. However; hospital campus bad crime rate, must be careful!
Strong community leader
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 10, 2018
VCU plays an important role as part of the community, providing jobs and development opportunities for the community members. They also offer learning opportunity and job transfer within the organization if desired.
Fine school and and excellent programs in the school of business.
Adjunct Professor of Sales Management (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 3, 2018
This was one of my best experiences in the work force as I was given the opportunity of teaching senior-level students. My sales experience was much appreciated by students and my reviews were excellent.
Pros
Great environment for learning
Productive and interesting
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Downtown RichmondDecember 1, 2018
Amazing work place. I learned a lot while working here about the medical aspects of everything. I was able to engage in clinical work that I got trained on. It really improved my confidence and knowledge in the area.
Pros
Networking
Cons
Commute
Hard Work, unappreciated
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VA 23298November 19, 2018
A work-week which never ends, lack of appreciation from my boss.

Not enough time in the day to complete all my tasks, just taken for granted, and no pay rise for 3 years and i am supposed to feel grateful
Pros
Good holidays
Cons
Work too much
Good Benefits, poor work environment
Director (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 12, 2018
Good Benefits, poor work environment. Health insurance is great. Low pay. Little to no upward movement. Entrenched culture that DEEPLY resists event the smallest changes. 1 year probationary period is held over your head like a guillotine.