Virginia Commonwealth University Employee Reviews

Fine school and and excellent programs in the school of business.
Adjunct Professor of Sales Management (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 3, 2018
This was one of my best experiences in the work force as I was given the opportunity of teaching senior-level students. My sales experience was much appreciated by students and my reviews were excellent.
Pros
Great environment for learning
Productive and interesting
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Downtown RichmondDecember 1, 2018
Amazing work place. I learned a lot while working here about the medical aspects of everything. I was able to engage in clinical work that I got trained on. It really improved my confidence and knowledge in the area.
Pros
Networking
Cons
Commute
Hard Work, unappreciated
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VA 23298November 19, 2018
A work-week which never ends, lack of appreciation from my boss.

Not enough time in the day to complete all my tasks, just taken for granted, and no pay rise for 3 years and i am supposed to feel grateful
Pros
Good holidays
Cons
Work too much
Good Benefits, poor work environment
Director (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 12, 2018
Good Benefits, poor work environment. Health insurance is great. Low pay. Little to no upward movement. Entrenched culture that DEEPLY resists event the smallest changes. 1 year probationary period is held over your head like a guillotine.
Advanced Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 6, 2018
My typical workday starts @7:30 am. On days that potential subjects were being seen in the clinic I would be there recruiting for ongoing studies. The hardest part of my job was getting patients interested in making a different in the future treatment of their condition.
Pros
Work Independent and ask for help when needed.
Cons
Always being prepared for the unexpected.
A growing and diverse community
Project Coordinator and Teaching Coach (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 1, 2018
The environment is respectful and aware of cultural differences. I felt comfortable and appreciated while working in a professionally challenging climate.
a good place to start your research career
Postdoc Fellow (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 21, 2018
have a lot of opportunities for your research career. Easy access to many advanced instruments, such as SEM, TEM, XRD, GC-MS, HPLC, etc. As a postdoc fellow I was mainly conducting independent research which is very beneficial for my career development.
Pros
good job culture, flexible working hours
Cons
job security is not good, have to re-qualify or renew contract every 6 month or 12 month.
Custodian Worker (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 13, 2018
The housekeeping department need to step up a bit and have some type of understanding and responsibilities about the work and the job site, and work x
Pros
Free food
Cons
People
Enjoy working with a very diverse population
Sergeant- Investigations Unit (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 22, 2018
* Diverse
* Ever-changing environment
* Fast-paced
* Urban setting
* Great benefits
* Innovative
* Combines academic and medical campuses
* Interest in research/becoming better
Worth doing, but only once
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 11, 2018
Many of the other Resident Assistants were very two-faced and it's something to get used to when everyone is "supposed to get along", but it's probably the worst part of the job other than waking up at 3 a.m. to a call because someone got too drunk and sick or wanted to do something worse. Overall, positive experience.
Pros
Free housing
Cons
No meal plan until after I left
Very stressful environment.
Executive Secretary (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 7, 2018
First time working on an actual medical unit floor with actual patients. Previous experience with patients was only on paper in patient notes or phone calls. This was a new experience. I came in contact with a lot neurological patients, i.e., patients damaged permanently from automobile accidents, young victims of gun shot wounds what would never walk or be productive again.
Not appreciative of time spent with patients
Coordinator of the Adult Sickle Cell Program (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 29, 2018
On call 24/7. Long hours. Always available via pager. Supervising physician not available readily, so patient questions and concerns answered by me. Also, other healthcare professionals relied upon my knowledge and expertise to care for Sickle Cell patients as supervising physician did not answer his cell phone or pager. Rewarded by gratitude of my patients for everything that I did for them.
Pros
Relationships with patients, their families, other healthcare professionals
Cons
Poor communication with supervising physician
never again
Budget Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 28, 2018
finance dept is terrible. I would never work here.i would rather starve and die. everyone is treated with such disrespect. if you try to do work, you are run out of there. it is so crooked. and sharing of information is prohibited. I wonder what they are hiding. gross.
Too much not enough help
OB coordinator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VA 23284August 28, 2018
Very fast pace and no assistance when needed. Management when never available to give help or advise. Too bust to be bothered. Overload on the workload
Educational experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 14, 2018
VCU was a great university to attend. Really enjoyed my years there, getting to learn a lot and advance myself as a person. The atmosphere at VCU is very welcoming and the faculty and staff care and are helpful to see you go on to a brighter future.
Love vcu
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 14, 2018
Management, in my area, was very good. Understanding and professional. Potential growth here is also very good. Meet and work with many people from varying backgrounds
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 11, 2018
The job is okay it's just the people always want to stay close and ride your back. The supervisor and the manger in housekeeping have no organized skills.
Pros
University time
Cons
People
The benefits are great but you get a very poor work environment.
Applications Analyst (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 7, 2018
The benefits are great but you in exchange you may get a very poor work environment. Some work in outdated buildings with limited space. Some share a desk. Teleworking is very inconsistent. If your manager doesn't like it your team may have teleworking with strict guidelines or teleworking may not be an option at all. Some employees work with known mold spores and lighting issues. This place is all about the numbers and invest little in the people that perform the work. Depending on your manager your job can be very enjoyable or very demanding and stressful. You learn to teach yourself because there isn't a real orientation or guidance for new team members.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Poor working environment, management and work life balance
Lab Preceptor
Preceptor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 6, 2018
I learned a lot during my time as a preceptor, the Professor and the Lab TA were both great mentors and i learned a lot about how to properly relay information to someone who is new to the material.
Poor Leadership within the Department
Clerkship Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 5, 2018
Extremely poor management within our department. Supervisor was unprofessional and disrespectful, and fails to accept her own short-comings. Has been a very high turnover rate within the office.
Pros
Diverse working population