Virginia Credit Union Employee Reviews

Amazing
Bank Teller (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 2, 2019
I love working for Virginia Credit Union. It is a very friendly environment. I adore my managers. They have great benefits. Unfortunately they recently updated their policy on overtime. They are very strict about no overtime and have a strict schedule. With the recent update in overtime policy I have taken a significant pay cut. I love working here but with a family of four I'm afraid I can't afford to continue to be employed. There is opportunity to move up but there is a process to do so. I highly recommend working here if the salary is right for you and you have patience for promotions.
Pros
Family oriented environment
Cons
Salary for my position
Not a good working environment
Consumer and Business Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cosner's Corner, Fredericksburg, VANovember 15, 2018
Management was so focused on lending goals that it made it hard to get through the day thinking you made a difference in a member's financial well being if you have not sold a credit product. The only way to keep the manager at my branch off my back was to sell more in loans than she did every day and if I did, she'd only recognize it if the team met the branch's goal for the day. She'd brag if she did more than me and say we all did not do enough if the branch did not hit it's daily lending goal. She treated me differently once she found out I was pregnant and made it very difficult to set appointments for my prenatal care. I was chastised by her when I needed to call out of work to take care of my older child when school was canceled at the last minute and I would not find a sitter. It was a very bad working environment with no work/life balance.
Low moral
Mortgage Post Closer and Disbursement Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 29, 2018
There is real no structure and the supervisor don't know the job they are hired to do. We have to ask a supervisor in a different department to help resolve our issues.

The benefits are good but the pay is low.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
low pay
Sweat Box with no employee loyality
Member Services Representative I (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 25, 2018
Virginia Credit Union used to be a great place to work. Now, every day, all you hear, all day long is SALES. The only thing management cares about is how much we've generated in loan dollars today, this week, this month, and so far this year.

CEO stated we will never become like Wells Fargo but we already had become much more than Wells Fargo, worse even.

Branch Managers micro-manage everything you do. Current management has created a sweatshop environment and has very little integrity. You will hear how the employees are what makes the credit union successful and how much what you do is appreciated, but you will not feel valued. You are treated as another part in the machine that can be replaced if they can't "fix you".

They talk about how important trust is, especially in this industry, but they are not trustworthy as an employer.

If you consider employment here two words of advice: "be prepared to sell, sell sell" and "watch your back".
Pros
Benefits, health and time off
Cons
Overtime taken away, 2 hour lunches to loose the OT, etc.
GREAT PLACE, but NO advancement!
Former Teller (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 12, 2018
I was with VACU for a little over three years. I like what I do, but there’s absolutely NO room for growth UNLESS you’re picture perfect! If you meet your sales goal every day (that they claim it’s not about) give excellent member service and go ABOVE and BEYOND then you’re more than likely to move A pay grade, but DON’T expect it. They’ve been cutting hours and activities VACU had because of their outrageous spending which hinders the employees. The pay is for someone who lives on their own with no responsibilities. The over time is even cut so you can’t get paid more than the over time!!! My co-workers and managers are great, depending on the branch I guess. It’s a great place to add to the resume, but DO NOT get stuck!
Pros
Hour lunches, Paid time off, Benefits
Cons
Pay, No Advantages
Wonderful culture, people and challenging work environment
Management Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 25, 2018
Working at VACU has been a great experience. The work is challenging, my co-workers are awesome and I love the family oriented culture. We are always looking for ways to better serve and improve our members experience which sets us apart from other financial institutions.
Pros
culture, benefits, worklife balance, co-workers
Cons
Sometimes the work load is heavy but overall it's manageable
awesome place to work
Deposit Settlement Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 6, 2018
i worked a several locations to fill in where needed. everyone was always friendly, helpful and hard working. it was a wonderful place to work i never dreaded going to work.
Horrible work environment
Account Consultant (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAMarch 27, 2018
Do not waste your time here. Training is very inviting, once you are in your role, Management is unprofessional. The is no room for advancement. Extreme sales goals due to unnecessary company spending and building. Relatable to Wells Fargo. Their members are leaving at high rates because they are changing their image pushing sales on customers. Company seems to have forgot their own mission statement.
Pros
Pto
Cons
No advancement opportunities, Management
Great Place to Work
Bank Teller II (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 6, 2018
Great place to work and great benefits. You have on the job training and the culture is very relaxed but professional. Would recommend to anyone looking for their first job or career in banking.
Do not even waste your time
Teller (Former Employee) –  Colonial Heights, VAFebruary 19, 2018
They will have you so excited to come on board. That it's the Top 10 places to work in VA. Training is so fun and builds your hope, then when you get to the branch management is horrible. They give you such a hard time if you or your kids are sick. You better have a doctors note for everything. And then they will still call your doctor because they don't believe you- I watched it happen to one of my coworkers...And they will still write you up for missing work. Management is lazy and act as though the rules don't apply to them. They come in late because they had to go shopping first or woke up late, leave early, take long lunches, close their office doors for hours to nap or handle personal business, but if anyone else does it heaven forbid. They act completely unprofessional behind closed doors, as in cuss at you and get in your face with "passive threats" and hands in your face. The amount of pressure they put on you to push sales is unrealistic and not at all what they preach in training. The pay is cheap for the responsibilities they put on you. Don't count on a raise or opportunity to move up. We had 5 employees leave within 4 months. Southpark branch has the highest turnover rate due to these issues that have been brought to the attention of HR, which continue to be neglected.
Pros
close to home for me
Cons
terrible management
Not the easiest job
FT Teller I (Former Employee) –  Henrico County, VAFebruary 13, 2018
This job will become your life. Be ready for a strong focus on goals and goals! Great people if you're at the right location but stressful customer issues.
Benefits
Cons
Stressful
Very difficult company to grow within
Regional Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 29, 2018
I've work for VACU for about 5 years, doing what's expected of me and many other duties. during this time a lot has changed. The managers push goals everyday all day. I am able to excel but it can get stressful. The management focus is only on goals and not on development. I love what I do because of the people but upper management makes it hard. There aren't any minorities in upper management either. you have a better chance coming in off the street and being a manager than someone working hard everyday volunteering and picking up shifts. There is no loyalty and HR is no help.
benefits
Cons
No development
Horrible
Teller (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 25, 2018
HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE company to work for. Management is awful and only cares about you if you meet your goals. Best part about the job is training once you get into the branches its a totally different story. I gave one star because i had too.
Pros
Hour Lunches, Pay
Cons
Everything else
Wonderful Place!!!!!!
Resolution Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAJanuary 22, 2018
I love VACU!!!! I would have never left but I decided to move and this is the ONLY reason I am not still with the company. There is a true caring spirit and a true sense of teamwork. They give you the tools to learn and push you into knowledge to help you increase your chances of a promotion. I absolutely adore this place and the people that work there. If you are honest and hold a high sense of integrity, this is the place for you.
Cut throat management..inconsiderate
Account Consultant (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAJanuary 19, 2018
managers have favorites
if something personal comes up that requires you to miss work..they will not work with you.
managers gossip about employees
nothing is kept confidential
It was a great place to work.
Teller/Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 18, 2018
I enjoyed my time as a teller there. I enjoyed my interactions with the members.my fellow employees were the best.When I transferred to the back office, I enjoyed my interactions with the members by phone.
Pros
Friendly staff
productive
Contact Center Account Consultant 1 (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 8, 2018
A typical day at VACU is busy, productive, supportive. There is never a time when your team is not wiling to go the extra mile to assist you. Every day you are learning something new. Working closely with members to assist them with meeting there financial goals. VACU is the best
benefits
Growth Opportunity
Oracle DBA (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, VANovember 14, 2017
I love the environment because of the growth opportunity i learned a lot with the new technologies and promotions in this company wish i was still there.
Assistant Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 24, 2017
Virginia Credit Union offers great benefits and pay. It is a fast paced, sales environment. Branch hours are long and occasional overtime is required.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 30, 2017
I truly enjoyed the 5 years that I worked at Virginia Credit Union. I love being a Member Service rep. Great work/life balance. Management really cares about the success of their employees. They do a great job in providing the right services for their members. They have a strong passion for the well being of their employees. Benefits are great 3 weeks vacation plus sick leave 401k and pension.... how many companies offer pension now. Friendly and caring staff all pulling together and supportive. Everyone works hard to assure that their members are taking care of...excellent service. Not a good fit for lazy people that just wanted to earn a paycheck. I can truly say they really appreciate the employees that come to work that has a passion to make things better for the member and the employee.
Pros
Caring people
Cons
Unfortunate they are not in Ohio. My husband was relocated

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Virginia Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.