Virginia Credit Union Pay & Benefits reviews

Overall was a great place to work
Account Consultant II (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAJune 5, 2019
I worked for the branch and then the contact center and overall was a great place to work and compensation wasn’t bad. Employees were great to work with, just sometimes lacked communication on policy between branch and back offices.
Amazing
Bank Teller (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 2, 2019
I love working for Virginia Credit Union. It is a very friendly environment. I adore my managers. They have great benefits. Unfortunately they recently updated their policy on overtime. They are very strict about no overtime and have a strict schedule. With the recent update in overtime policy I have taken a significant pay cut. I love working here but with a family of four I'm afraid I can't afford to continue to be employed. There is opportunity to move up but there is a process to do so. I highly recommend working here if the salary is right for you and you have patience for promotions.
Pros
Family oriented environment
Cons
Salary for my position
Sweat Box with no employee loyality
Member Services Representative I (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 25, 2018

CEO stated we will never become like Wells Fargo but we already had become much more than Wells Fargo, worse even.

Branch Managers micro-manage everything you do. Current management has created a sweatshop environment and has very little integrity. You will hear how the employees are what makes the credit union successful and how much what you do is appreciated, but you will not feel valued. You are treated as another part in the machine that can be replaced if they can't "fix you".

Pros
Benefits, health and time off
Cons
Overtime taken away, 2 hour lunches to loose the OT, etc.
GREAT PLACE, but NO advancement!
Former Teller (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 12, 2018
I was with VACU for a little over three years. I like what I do, but there’s absolutely NO room for growth UNLESS you’re picture perfect! If you meet your sales goal every day (that they claim it’s not about) give excellent member service and go ABOVE and BEYOND then you’re more than likely to move A pay grade, but DON’T expect it. They’ve been cutting hours and activities VACU had because of their outrageous spending which hinders the employees. The pay is for someone who lives on their own with no responsibilities. The over time is even cut so you can’t get paid more than the over time!!! My co-workers and managers are great, depending on the branch I guess. It’s a great place to add to the resume, but DO NOT get stuck!
Pros
Hour lunches, Paid time off, Benefits
Cons
Pay, No Advantages
Wonderful culture, people and challenging work environment
Management Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 25, 2018
Working at VACU has been a great experience. The work is challenging, my co-workers are awesome and I love the family oriented culture. We are always looking for ways to better serve and improve our members experience which sets us apart from other financial institutions.
Pros
culture, benefits, worklife balance, co-workers
Cons
Sometimes the work load is heavy but overall it's manageable
Great Place to Work
Bank Teller II (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 6, 2018
Great place to work and great benefits. You have on the job training and the culture is very relaxed but professional. Would recommend to anyone looking for their first job or career in banking.
Do not even waste your time
Teller (Former Employee) –  Colonial Heights, VAFebruary 19, 2018
They will have you so excited to come on board. That it's the Top 10 places to work in VA. Training is so fun and builds your hope, then when you get to the branch management is horrible. They give you such a hard time if you or your kids are sick. You better have a doctors note for everything. And then they will still call your doctor because they don't believe you- I watched it happen to one of my coworkers...And they will still write you up for missing work. Management is lazy and act as though the rules don't apply to them. They come in late because they had to go shopping first or woke up late, leave early, take long lunches, close their office doors for hours to nap or handle personal business, but if anyone else does it heaven forbid. They act completely unprofessional behind closed doors, as in cuss at you and get in your face with "passive threats" and hands in your face. The amount of pressure they put on you to push sales is unrealistic and not at all what they preach in training. The pay is cheap for the responsibilities they put on you. Don't count on a raise or opportunity to move up. We had 5 employees leave within 4 months. Southpark branch has the highest turnover rate due to these issues that have been brought to the attention of HR, which continue to be neglected.
Pros
close to home for me
Cons
terrible management
Not the easiest job
FT Teller I (Former Employee) –  Henrico County, VAFebruary 13, 2018
This job will become your life. Be ready for a strong focus on goals and goals! Great people if you're at the right location but stressful customer issues.
Benefits
Cons
Stressful
Very difficult company to grow within
Regional Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 29, 2018
I've work for VACU for about 5 years, doing what's expected of me and many other duties. during this time a lot has changed. The managers push goals everyday all day. I am able to excel but it can get stressful. The management focus is only on goals and not on development. I love what I do because of the people but upper management makes it hard. There aren't any minorities in upper management either. you have a better chance coming in off the street and being a manager than someone working hard everyday volunteering and picking up shifts. There is no loyalty and HR is no help.
benefits
Cons
No development
productive
Contact Center Account Consultant 1 (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 8, 2018
A typical day at VACU is busy, productive, supportive. There is never a time when your team is not wiling to go the extra mile to assist you. Every day you are learning something new. Working closely with members to assist them with meeting there financial goals. VACU is the best
benefits
Assistant Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 24, 2017
Virginia Credit Union offers great benefits and pay. It is a fast paced, sales environment. Branch hours are long and occasional overtime is required.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 30, 2017
I truly enjoyed the 5 years that I worked at Virginia Credit Union. I love being a Member Service rep. Great work/life balance. Management really cares about the success of their employees. They do a great job in providing the right services for their members. They have a strong passion for the well being of their employees. Benefits are great 3 weeks vacation plus sick leave 401k and pension.... how many companies offer pension now. Friendly and caring staff all pulling together and supportive. Everyone works hard to assure that their members are taking care of...excellent service. Not a good fit for lazy people that just wanted to earn a paycheck. I can truly say they really appreciate the employees that come to work that has a passion to make things better for the member and the employee.
Pros
Caring people
Cons
Unfortunate they are not in Ohio. My husband was relocated
Only Great for Entry Level
Account Consultant (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAJune 13, 2017
If you have banking experience, don't apply. This company is stuck in their ways. They have a very old fashion way of conducting business. Everyday was stressful and you have to call multiple departments throughout the day in order to assist each member. Sometimes those departments only have 1 or 2 people working in them, so if they are busy, you're screwed.

Management is very unorganized. They try to be strict on the cell phone policy but they are constantly on their personal cell phones throughout the day. When calls are super backed up, they hardly ever pick up the phones to help relieve the queue.

No room for advancement. Its a very small company and it is all about who you know, not what you know.

The best part about this job is the training and the schedule. This job is great for someone who wants to get into banking or is fresh out of college.
Pros
Benefits, Schedule
Cons
Management, No advancement, Stressful atmosphere
Great Place for the most part
Account Consultant (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAMay 24, 2017
I enjoyed my time working for the CU. The phones were a bit stressful and the adherence policy didn't help. I still speak highly of it to those who are looking for good stability.
Pros
Benefits, Holiday Party, Co-workers
Cons
Adherence policy
Great place to work, if you like sales and being micro-managed
Branch Employee (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 11, 2017
Virginia Credit Union used to be a great place to work. Now, every day, all you hear, all day long is SALES. The only thing management cares about is how much we've generated in loan dollars today, this week, this month, and so far this year. Branch Managers want to micro-manage everything you do. Current management has created a sweatshop environment and has very little integrity. You will hear how the employees are what makes the credit union successful and how much what you do is appreciated, but you will not feel valued. You are treated as another part in the machine that can be replaced if they can't "fix you". They talk about how important trust is, especially in this industry, but they are not trustworthy as an employer. If you consider employment here two words of advice: "be prepared to sell, sell sell" and "watch your back".
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Micro-management, sales culture, Saturday schedule
Contact Center Nightmare
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAJanuary 23, 2017
Back to back calls all day, Strict breaks, slim chance of growth, 1 person had been one of the best reps on the phone for over 10 years and they never promoted her, Managers are lazy and do not respect confidentiality. There are only a few non-caucasions who are a above management. The commute can be long and expensive (tolls) depending on where you live. No cafeteria. Security is nosey and you even have to put down every license plate of the car you may have to drive to work.
Pros
pay was ok
Cons
Managers
Family environment and obvious effort put into it
Lending Advisor (Current Employee) –  Midlothian, VASeptember 23, 2016
VACU is truly a great place to work. There is a very calm and friendly environment. This is an institution that values taking care of members and hard-work. I only wish I hadn't wasted time in other call centers years ago. I've worked here for about a year now, and the management staff is so supportive. Call volumes can get crazy after holidays but other than that, I have no complaints.
Pros
Great benefits, family environment, committed to doing good.
It's okay
Contact Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Midlothian, VAApril 29, 2016
Virginia credit union in Waterford I like the company and benefits itself but I couldn't stand the management team I never seen so many grown people worried about what others were doing , VERY PETTY , they pretty much make up the rules as they go along ! Their very strict on dress code for no reason back to back calls and now their making it so we have team meetings and lunches together no disrespect but who wants to spend their lunch break w their co workers to me that's not fair because that's still working to me and we're not getting paid . They want you to sit there after 6 and take calls but don't want to pay you ! The management team knows nothing when you ask them something they don't know ! They NEVER know . Watch your back that's all I will say ... Because the list goes on ! And the ad says some Saturdays yeah right they told us we didn't have to work Saturdays if we didn't want to once we got in they stated that their making everyone work at least one Saturday why if people volunteer anyways JUST DUMMIES !
Pros
Cons
almost everything hate getting out of bed
Productive and Pushy
Teller I (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VA 23228April 27, 2016
Virginia Credit Union is a great place to work if you can get into the right area or branch. The managers I worked for were very abusive mentally and nothing was ever good enough. My coworkers were great! The benefits were fair and the pay was fair also.
Cons
Upper Management
great place to work
Branch Employee (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 7, 2015
VACU is a great place to work. They offer good benefits and paid time off as well as 401K match. The company cares about its employees and creates a great work environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Virginia Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.