Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries Employee Reviews

Historically a good wildlife agency as compared to other states
Wildlife Biologist (Former Employee) –  Verona, VAMarch 14, 2019
Working for this agency has challenged me to think independently during my career. A benefit is the ability to work by myself on many occasions and to generally set my own schedule to accomplish tasks as needed. Flexibility is required for calls requiring immediate response , either during work hours or after hours/weekends. The biologists that I have worked with over the years have been recognized leaders in their field both regionally and nationally, which has added to my experience throughout the years.
Pros
Great people to work with, flexible scheduling within reason
Cons
Long term leadership in supervision has been lacking
Great Internship
Field Technician Intern (Former Employee) –  Verona, VAOctober 12, 2018
Great internship with opportunities to expand your knowledge and advance you technical skills while working alongside people who want to help you succeed.
Dispatcher
Police Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 12, 2018
Working with other agencies in the Commonwealth, researching protected files, police and other States to enforce wildlife protections and traffic stops by Game Police.
Pros
Very interesting each calls that was able to be resolved.
Cons
Very Stress-full at times and very high pace.
Easy
Deer Lymph Node Sampling Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Verona, VAApril 16, 2018
Simple and fun job, you're never bored. I only volunteered but had learned a lot and got some hands on experience. I would definitely volunteer with them again.
Good place to work; tough to advance though
Fisheries Biologist Senior (Former Employee) –  VirginiaOctober 18, 2017
I enjoyed working there. They just didn't pay employees fairly based on where they were stationed. While employees were doing the same jobs across the state, those around Washington, DC, Virginia Beach, Williamsburg, and other cities had a much higher cost of living than coworkers in western Virginia. The high cost of living and lack of opportunities for promotion resulted in my having to leave for higher pay elsewhere. The work was fun, my coworkers were nice and I wasn't stationed at headquarters so I avoided much of the politics and infighting over budgets.
Pros
Good people, fun work
Cons
High cost of living in eastern cities
Great Learning experience
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Charles City, VAAugust 27, 2017
Learned the intricacies of what a field biologist does> Worked with staff members as a team to increase efficiency of the work being pursued. Worked primarily counting wading bird nests.
n/a
License Specialist/Customer Service Representive (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 5, 2017
 Research required information using available resources
 Answer phones, respond to various inquiries, and enforce quality customer service standards
 Help achieve organizational goals and communicate effectively with customer to resolve issues
 Work collaboratively with team members
Fiscal Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 30, 2017
Great place to work. Co-workers always willing to help. Great location. Additional training was always available to encourage you to move forward in the Department.
Very good organization.
Boating Registration Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 12, 2017
If I had the opportunity and lived closer, I would jump at the chance to return to this job. Hours were normally 40-hours a week. I was given training in aspects that helped me perform my job better. In our area, the management was awesome. They had open door policies so we could discuss any issues we were having and addressed problems that may have come about. My co-workers were great for the most part. There were a few from time to time that made the job difficult on some days. Hardest part of the job was slow days during the down time of the year. Most enjoyable part was getting the recognition when you did a good job.
Pros
Management; pay
Cons
The drive to and from work
Please see below.
Program Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 27, 2015
My job was great. I was never doing the same thing every day which kept it interesting. I got along with everyone I worked with, & liked most of the people that I worked with. It was a great adventure. Management could have been a little more 'hands on', meaning they should know what I do every day in my job, however, there were never any complaints about my promptness & accuracy on any job that I was ever working on.
Pros
Good employees & happy atmosphere.
Cons
Management was only about themselves. They were not concerned with anyone 'under management'.
Fun workplace
Intern (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 16, 2014
kept me busy of many projects that I enjoyed, enjoyed working with all of my co-workers, learned many thing as only being a intern
Passionate and fun workplace
Aquatic Resources Technician (Current Employee) –  Forest, VAJuly 13, 2014
As an Aquatic Resources Technician I have many different job responsibilities. I survey freshwater mussels throughout the state of Virginia by means of various sampling techniques. My office work consists of data entry and management.

The majority of my time is spent at the Virginia Fish and Aquatic Wildlife Center, which is a freshwater mussel propagation center. My main responsibilities include maintaining the facilities, sampling propagation systems, managing intern's day-to-day activities, and giving tours to various personnel.

Management is very enjoyable to work with. They are passionate about what they do and are very hard working. My co-workers possess the same qualities.

The hardest part of the job is all of the traveling it requires. I stay in a hotel a minimum three days a week.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the field work. Field work consists of freshwater mussel surveys as well as freshwater fish sampling.
Pros
frequent work outside, compensation for travel expenses, friendly work environment
Cons
hourly wages, no health benefits, limited to working 1500 hours annually
Work that protects our natural environment
GIS Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 14, 2013
VADGIF provided me with the opportunity to intern with them whil I was in graduate school. The work was meaningful and the staff was extremely knowledgeable and easy to work with.
Pros
Occasional travel
Cons
Na