Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries Employee Review

View all Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries reviews

Passionate and fun workplace
Aquatic Resources Technician (Current Employee) –  Forest, VAJuly 13, 2014
As an Aquatic Resources Technician I have many different job responsibilities. I survey freshwater mussels throughout the state of Virginia by means of various sampling techniques. My office work consists of data entry and management.

The majority of my time is spent at the Virginia Fish and Aquatic Wildlife Center, which is a freshwater mussel propagation center. My main responsibilities include maintaining the facilities, sampling propagation systems, managing intern's day-to-day activities, and giving tours to various personnel.

Management is very enjoyable to work with. They are passionate about what they do and are very hard working. My co-workers possess the same qualities.

The hardest part of the job is all of the traveling it requires. I stay in a hotel a minimum three days a week.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the field work. Field work consists of freshwater mussel surveys as well as freshwater fish sampling.
Pros
frequent work outside, compensation for travel expenses, friendly work environment
Cons
hourly wages, no health benefits, limited to working 1500 hours annually

Other Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries Employee Reviews

Fun Summer Job
Aquatic Resource Technician (Former Employee) –  Marion, VAJuly 10, 2019
This was an awesome place to work for the summer. There's a lot of work outside and in remote rivers. I really enjoyed my time there and feel like I learned a lot.
Historically a good wildlife agency as compared to other states
Wildlife Biologist (Former Employee) –  Verona, VAMarch 14, 2019
Working for this agency has challenged me to think independently during my career. A benefit is the ability to work by myself on many occasions and to generally set my own schedule to accomplish tasks as needed. Flexibility is required for calls requiring immediate response , either during work hours or after hours/weekends. The biologists that I have worked with over the years have been recognized leaders in their field both regionally and nationally, which has added to my experience throughout the years.
Pros
Great people to work with, flexible scheduling within reason
Cons
Long term leadership in supervision has been lacking