Virginia Department of Health Employee Reviews

A time I look back fondly
Child-Development Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMarch 16, 2019
I learned so much about helping and customer service in the short time I was there. I worked through the WIC program. I loved helping new parents and new mothers navigate the early stages of breastfeeding. Helping them decide if it was the right choice for their family. If I could do it again I would do it again.
Good workplance, get to make a difference
Deputy Director, Division of Disease Prevention (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 30, 2018
VDH does a good job of providing lots of opportunities to do different things and influence policy at the state level. Also get to work with other states on a regular basis. It can be meeting heavy but is productive.
Pros
Support for training and advancement
Cons
Not as many opportunities for pay raises
Not that great
HIV Epidemiology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 24, 2018
You do not have many opportunities for promotion. They have a lot of favoritism. You only get a raise when the state legislature decides to give state employees a raise.
Great opportunity to understand federal and state regulations.
Medical Facilities Inspector (Current Employee) –  Henrico County, VADecember 10, 2018
Travel to different counties in the state and work with many professional providers. Develop a writing technique that is direct and understandable at the fifth graders level but precise with evident statements.
Pros
Per diem meals
Cons
Spend the night away from home
Poor management
family support worker (Former Employee) –  roanoke,vaNovember 4, 2018
No job advancement, lots of gossip and exclusion from employees in my department, was not value for my work, performance and education I bought to the position. I was called on the carpet twice in front of colleagues and parents, very unprofessional. Manager when meeting would list all the negatives I was doing in my work, not 1 single positive statement made. The hardest part of the job working with a group of women who were gossipers and proclaim to be Christian at the same time. They excluded me from many lunch gathering when they got together, I was never given any positive feedback for my work. It is a toxic work environment that was affecting my health so I left.
Pros
great health benefits
Cons
toxic work environment
Population Health Promotion
Director, Office of Family Health Services (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 31, 2018
VDH is committed to population health and assuring that Virginians have the resources necessary to achieve optimal health and wellness outcomes by addressing the social determinants of health in partnership with relevant state agencies and community stakeholders.
Pros
dedicated team members
Cons
bureaucratic hierarchy with processes that serve as barriers to action and outcomes
I worked under great bosses that were very patient and valued your opinion
Program Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 21, 2018
A typical day was answering phone calls and doing typical admin duties which included copying, faxing and file management. I also was responsible for data entry for rabies and Lyme's disease. I also assisted with food borne exposures at local restaurants.
Pros
A very interesting place to work with a chance for advancement
Cons
No cons
Productive Work Environment
Web Designer/Developer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 27, 2018
VDH was an amazing place to work. VDH had great perks during work hours such as educational conferences, fundraisers, events, and so much more. Everything was geared towards improving your health. My department was well organized and everyone is able to do their work without having to be micromanaged.
the deteiroation of VDH
Office Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAAugust 28, 2018
Overall when I started it was a fabulous place to work at. Sadly due to so many administration staff changes to include Medical director it has gone down hill in 10 yrs. I was glad to leave when I did
Pros
serving our community
Cons
lack of respect from the administration staff
I enjoyed going to work every day
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Warrenton, VAAugust 24, 2018
The pay was low But my work hours were flexible.
They always had some special projects I could work on, keeping the job interesting.
I was given time off for family medical problems.
We parted on good terms.
Pros
Flexable schedual.
Cons
Not any to speak of
Calm work environment and helpful coworkers
Environmental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, VAAugust 22, 2018
From management to fellow coworkers, everyone is willing to help one another complete projects and meet deadlines. The workload can be substantial, however it is not insurmountable. If you enjoy being outdoors, there are plenty of opportunities to get out of the office to survey or inspect local well and septic projects.
Pros
Great coworkers and work environment
Cons
not much room for career advancement
Professional, proficient and kind
Medical Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Culpeper, VAAugust 16, 2018
It's usually a challenge when the mayority of your co-workers are women.. but apart from the inevitable challenges, I enjoyed working at VDH. Everyone was very kind to me. From Environmental Health, to Admin. to the nurses, the supervisors, and also WIC staff. I have no complaints.
Pros
friendly staff, helping the public, lots of training, free snacks, discounts
Cons
PT hours reduction, gossip
Awesome people to work with
Patient Care Technician/Community Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAAugust 15, 2018
It’s a great place to work. Great teamwork. Very supportive, have learned a lot. Get free trainings. Opportunity to help people, paid time off, holidays and personal and sick leave.
Apply to another agency
Full Time Employee (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 5, 2018
The Office of Health Equity was the worse office to work in. That experience alone, has prevented me from wanting to step foot back in the door. No opportunity for advancement, and no respect at all. Extremely low morale.
Pros
You get to clock out and leave on time.
Cons
You have to tuck your tail and just obey all orders from management. If you a favorite, you get special treatment
Good benefits, poor management
Health Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Danville, VAAugust 2, 2018
Management is terrible. Employees get reprimanded for management's mess ups. You have to work under conditions that are unsafe for your license. Management does not seem to care about staff. There is obvious racism which makes for a hostile work environment.
Pros
insurance, pension
Cons
management, no job security
Health Department
Breastfeeding Peer Counselor (Former Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 2, 2018
Loved working with pregnant and breastfeeding mothers. Loved every aspect of the job. Loved everyone I worked with. Truly loved working with new mothers.
Productive and Quiet workplace
Program Administration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 1, 2018
Very fast pace alot of customer service as well as reporting involved.
Enjoyed the work that i did there;however, it was only and temp job and I was not offered and position as a full time employee. As tho, I was looking to become full time I would have continue as a temp until hired.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
last minute communications
Fun place to work and help the public
Breastfeeding Peer Counselor (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJuly 25, 2018
Public health field is rewarding, environment is relaxed but can be fast paced at times. Dress code is business casual and environment is collaborative
Fun workplace
ADAP Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJuly 10, 2018
You are usually able to take your breaks.
Able to work independently.
Great state benefits.
Great state holidays
Co-workers are enjoyable to work with
just a temporary assignment
Document Prep Person (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 6, 2018
Very easy work and very laid back, loved working with my co workers and doing the work. People we worked for was a 3rd party company from Florida who was doing yearly audit.