Virginia Department of Juvenile Justice Employee Reviews

Reliable
Work Remote
great job
Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  Salem, VAMay 16, 2018
Working with youth and families is a wonderful chance to make a difference. The collaborations you make in the community is wonderful and enables you to do better work with your clients.
Rewarding At Times
Resident Specialist/Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 15, 2018
Job can be stressful, but rewarding as well. Fellow employees believe in team work, but you also had some that did not. Career advancement is also possible if you are interested.
professional
Juvenile Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, VAApril 30, 2018
The work was great in trying to help and develop youths in the correctional facility to change their mindset. To live a healthy lifestyles with changes and choices
Good
Cons
Travel distance
Ability to learn different roles
Probation/Parole Officer (Current Employee) –  Boydton, VAApril 18, 2018
Good place to learn different roles with training. However, limited staff are available to provide the training that is required in key positions within the agency.
Pros
Able to be cross trained.
Cons
Expectations when you have not been trained.
A toxic workplace. Some departments are very poorly run with a great deal of financial waste. Leadership was unethical at times.
Director Post-Secondary Programs (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 11, 2018
Unfortunately, the focus was not on the incarcerated youth nor their needs. Decisions were not based on the best interest of the young people. The work being done in the community by DJJ is exemplary. There is a great deal of diversity in the integrity, commitment to the mission and skill set of team members.
Pros
The Agency is undergoing a transformation. Evidenced based and ground breaking philosophies.
Cons
Not all departments are aligned with this in practice.
Productive and Fun Work Environment.
DIRECTOR OF POLICY AND PLANNING (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VirginiaMarch 30, 2018
Overall, the Policy and Planning Unit is running well. We have a strong and productive unit that has proven to be beneficial to the Department in many facets. My staff serves as the point of contact with the State Board, the Attorney General's Office, the Judicial Liaison Committee, and most matters with Secretary of Public Safety and Homeland Security. We also respond to questions from the court services units and the juvenile courts. We handle matters involving personnel actions and other matters impacting the programs and facilities operated by the Department. I think we serve the Department well in guiding the Department through administrative proceedings involving grievances brought by Department employees. We provide solid and candid input on issues involving sensitive matters. Much of our work includes accountability and protecting the rights of staff and of the juveniles under our supervision. However, we have focused heavily on not being the “gotcha unit.”

Overall, I try to make sure that expectations are clear, well communicated, and relate to mission, vision, and goals of the unit and the department. I try to ensure that staff receives constructive feedback and positive reinforcement. I believe that my staff and I are productive and I enjoy coming to work. I think I have created a very open work environment and in which people do their work well and also have some fun. In closing, we never lose sight of the Department’s mission and of working towards maintaining the integrity of the Department.
Corrections
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAMarch 23, 2018
Working with at risk youth in a correctional setting. The correctional facility is sled sufficient and is prepared for any challenges that may arise. Correctional officers are trained monthly from Crisis Prevention to Handle With Care.
Pros
Awesome schedule only work 15 days out of the month.
Cons
Promotion could take a long time
difficult working conditions
Director of Volunteer Services (Former Employee) –  Mitchells, VA 22729March 19, 2018
difficult working conditions, lower salary for work required, minimal opportunities for growth, people were hard working but not compensated for the requirements of the positions
Security
Juvenile Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 2, 2018
Monitored and supervised residents in concert with; controlled facility and materials access and exit. Arranged transportation for medical appointments and emergencies. Addressed problems and resolved issues, managing crises effectively. Conducted safety and security checks; ensured compliance with process, procedure, disciplinary and regulatory requirements. Provided reports for supervisors and participated in team meetings.

Want to know more about Virginia Department of Juvenile Justice?

Ask a question
It is a job
Intake Officer (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 10, 2018
I am not interested in completing a review of the company at this time. However, it is required. We work hard on a daily basis, however we are not paid a lot of money.
Community Supervisor/Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 30, 2017
Beaumont was a wonderful place to work. We were able to work collaboratively as a team and help the residents be successful and feel good about themselves all while having fun doing our jobs.
Entertaining and fun
Resident Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, VADecember 12, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is witnessing the change in some of the residents/inmates. In my time at DJJ i seen plenty of kids go from bad to worst to some of the best kids in the facility its really heartwarming seeing the progress in those young men.
Pros
witnessing progress in the youth
Cons
having to use force on a individual because of his behavior
Resident Specialist I/P-14 Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 9, 2017
Job was what I expected it to be. Had a lot of positive experiences with the staff and with population being served. I would recommend this work environment to anyone.
Negotiate salary on the front end, you will not get a raise
Probation Officer (Current Employee) –  Northern VirginiaOctober 31, 2017
Have worked here for many years. Not a horrible job, typical government bureaucracy Change is constant and comes at the whim of the current political ruling regime. Literally, did not not get a single cost of living pay raise throughout the entire Obama presidency. Finally received a small pittance of 3% this year.
Pros
good retirement, lots of paid time off, and decent health insurance.
Cons
Low pay, constant change, always expected to do more with less
A very down place to work
Deputy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Salem, VAOctober 3, 2017
Lots of back bitting, disrespect to the office manager, young people did not have work ethics and very hard to work with. Not a very enjoyable place to be
Learning and cooking from scratch is assome
Food Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 27, 2017
Working for Dept of juvenile justice can be a
Interesting place to work for. It can help inspire the resident population when they get released because it is a form of mentoring
Pros
Hour lunch break
Cons
Long work hours
Stressful work environment with great benefits
RESIDENT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 17, 2017
The experience you have highly depends on the unit you work on, the staff you work with and the coordinator you work for. If you do not have tough skin, then this will not be the job for you.
benefits
Cons
short breaks
A lot of opportunities
Assistant Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, VASeptember 2, 2017
VA DJJ has job opportunities in communities all over the state, some include travel while others are office-bound. They also offer work from home options. And while people do complain about benefits, as for medical, they offer a short term disability that covers illness, surgery, injuries, etc. beyond 40 hours so that you don't have to burn all your leave or lose pay while recuperating. The hardest part of the job is probably the fact that it is a state department and subject to political changes. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the juveniles. Job culture and management depend on the position you have and the location. Central Office and larger facilities are more stressful and political. Smaller facilities and outlying areas more laid back and family oriented.
great place to work, but closing
Food Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, VAAugust 29, 2017
I enjoyed working at Beaumont worked there for 31 years moved my way up to manger, derives training available to all staff, I learned a lot of different skills in all area's.
Pros
state job
Cons
open 365 days a year