Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles logo
Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location.
Not your desired location?Choose a different one

Found 10 reviews matching the search.See all 143 reviews

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Supportive environment
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging

Work and family balance needs to be improved

In NoVA cost of living is high and DMV needs to take a critical look at compensation package in this area. Since 2008 salary adjustments have been few and restricted to 2% and unfortunately not annually

Pros

Job security and opportunity to interact with people of different diversity and culture

Cons

Very stressful work environment with poor salary levels

Everyday is a new day at DMV

Day starts slow and picks up in the afternoon and early evening until we close it keeps you on your toes. Time flies at DMV. I enjoyed working with the staff and learned to work with diverse customers and challenges. The management is always around to help and guide you along any issues. The seniors are there to train and mentor you. There is no hardest part, there are challenges and our goal is to keep the customer happy.

Pros

Fast Paced

Cons

Long wait times for customers

Stress,stress,and more stress!

A typical day at DMV is normally very busy and stressful. But, the worst part of the job is the old fashion technology use to service customers. The technology breaks down daily and the IT department never seems to permanently solve the problems. Next, every application has to be proof read and sign by a senior (Which takes about 10-15 min, because they may also be busy with a customer), Their is very little trust for employee's everything you touch has to be sign out. Handicap placards, decals, and any application you touch.

Pros

One Hour lunch break

Cons

Poor entry training

Lots to learn and very interesting. Challenging work environment.

A day a DMV is your typical work day, we have ups and downs but its a normal. Working at DMV going on one year has gave me experience with vehicle work and more, great co-workers,and management are also great as well. The hardest part of working at DMV is not enough hours and benefits for me. I most enjoyed the environment and the people at my job.

Pros

co-workers are like family and great help.

Cons

no-benefits for Part-timer.

Productive and strong team building atmosphere

Works hard to assist all customers in a timely fashion. Making each customers visit as harmless as possible, leaving fulfilled and satisfied with all transactions. Hardest part is simply not being able to satisfy the customer, ultimately resulting with an angry customer. Most enjoyable is seeing a customer smile and say "thank you, this has been the best DMV experience I have ever encountered'!

Share your experience

Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.

productive and fun place.

A good place to learn a lot. Tasked with working in a Windows 7 environment supporting desktops, laptops, printers and BlackBerrys. Proficiently identified and verified defects and technical issues with client’s computers including motherboards, hard drive failure and software problems. Handle more than 35 customers and process multiple transactions daily in a fast paced environment. coworkers. Manage various areas of support included broadband connectivity, account provisioning, email and windows/software’s installation, configuration, and upgrade issues. management is really nice, supportive and encouraging. coworkers are very friendly, professional and helpful. My favorite part of job included the ability to work independently (trust from employers) & the people I worked with.

I was very happy with this job.

It was extremely hard for me to leave this job I wish I would have never had my license taken for medical reasons. I felt as if we were a true family at the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles.

Pros

401k

Cons

Customers very rude at times feeling is this the laws where your fault.

Management gave me great learning experiences

A hectic work environment, but management gave me opportunities to learn every aspect of daily DMV procedures. We all worked hand in hand and helped each other with work related problems. The hardest part of the job were the long hrs -sometimes 12-14 hrs a day (end of the month). As my husband became completely disabled in 1998, I had to quit my position to take care of him 24/7. And since he's now in a Nursing home, I have the time and looking forward to re-entering the work force.

Pros

Great coworkers and bosses. Good benefits.

Cons

Long hours without many breaks.

Wonderful Agency to Work for.

While there are so many companies out there that are great to work for, I think that the only best experience will be to work for one and know the truth. This is one of them.

Pros

wonderful management, staff and benefits

Cons

customers can be very rude and obnoxious.

productive, fast paced, and sometimes stressfull

. The most enjoyable part was working with so many nice and diverse co-workers and meeting the customers and getting to help them.

Pros

getting to meet and help people

Cons

having to title vehicles

Jobs at Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles