Virginia Department of Social Services Employee Reviews

Poor Moral
Training and Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJanuary 7, 2019
Very top heavy with management who are all out of touch, and there is no sense of employee engagement.I would advise to look elsewhere for employment. Work profiles do not match what you will actually be doing therefore the pay you receive will not match.
Pros
Telework Option
Cons
Poor company culture, salary does not match actual job
Knowledgeable employees have no time to train others, and the blind lead the blind. There is very little uniformity and consistency.
Fiscal Technician Senior (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 16, 2018
Some supervisors and managers should never be allowed to lead other human beings. Upper level management gives themselves and their friends annual monetary bonuses while lower level grunt workers get an annual pizza party.
Pros
Leave and retirement benefits
Cons
Management, favoritism, nepotism, faster workers get more duties
Very stressful and emotionally taxing job, but does have it’s benefits to help the community.
Family Service Specialist Level III (Former Employee) –  Wise, VADecember 5, 2018
The hardest part of the job is dealing with families and children that are not able to stay together. The best part of the job is to provide services and benefits to clients that enables them to grow as a family and be stronger as a unit.
Pros
Good benfits
Cons
Dangerous at times
Don’t do it you’ll regret it
Foster Care Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth Va.October 24, 2018
I did foster care for the city of portsmouth VA. Worst decision I’ve ever made. Un-knowledgeable supervisors who were lazy, unmotivated. And lacked knowledge.
Pros
Holidays, weekends off
Cons
Poor management, clicks, high case and turnover rates
for 3 years the dept. was behind in work. Management only helped by giving overtime.
General Administrative Supervisor 1/Coordinator 1 (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 1, 2018
stressful work environment, management does not see future problems when making decisions. seems like management does not care about the customers. willing to burn out the employee by overtime for long periods of time.
People with positive engagements
Office Specialist - Americorp Member (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 5, 2018
People from various nationalities, cultures and spiritual and religious backgrounds made of the melting pot of great and engaging outcomes for longevity.
Pros
Engaging with various people.
Cons
No cons.
great place to work if you manage your time
Program Admin Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 9, 2018
caseloads an be extremely large. management provides support and employee recognition and appreciation. clients are appreciative of the work you do.
Pros
weekends/holidays off
Cons
high staff turnover
Nice place
Payment Processing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 6, 2018
The area in which I am employed is a nice place to work. The lack of advancement in the unit is what bothers me. There is no where to move in the department.
Pros
holidays
Poor leadership for management
Family Service Specialist I cps (Former Employee) –  Culpeper, VAApril 5, 2018
Working at vdss in a small town is cut throat. Being the newbie, co-workers overload my caseload without proper training. Supervisor was rarely in the office to provide feedback. Most training and feedback came from coworkers with limited education and experience. People here will smile in your face while putting a knife in your back. Be careful working at that department. make sure you keep copies of your caseload for self-protection. Management lied about my caseloads, and I was terminated. I was in my probationary period. Cps Department needs a supervisor with leadership. A new asst. director is needed as well. Nepotism runs in the department. People are in potions that requires a degree which they do not have.
Pros
Experience
Cons
high school cliches, poor management, nepotism
Productive and Fun place to work
Benefit Program Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Goochland, VAJune 25, 2018
I would go back if the opportunity came up again. Working their was a great experience for me, the only thing I didn't like was our supervisor micromanage us all the time. Other than that I worked with some really great people.
Pros
Time
Cons
Micro management
social worker
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  front royal vaDecember 10, 2018
The Virginia Department of Social Services is a very stressful setting. However all of the social workers are very denicated, and put their heart into it
terrible management
Family Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lexington, VAApril 16, 2018
The manager at my time of employment was harassing myself and other employees. This was brought to numerous peoples attention to no avail. The management was not following state policy for DSS and became combative when questioned.
Toxic...
Manager  (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 20, 2013
I found the compensation, benefits, and opportunities for advancement pretty good. Despite budget cuts, full-time jobs were seldom cut unless the person left. Then the job was not filled. So,a typical day at work became a 15 hour day, not 8 or ten even. What I learned was management was not honest. Management held very firm to the adage "perception is reality". Whatever they decided about you was what they held on to forever. I call the environment toxic because it is dishonest. Although they claim to value transparency, they work very hard to be secretive. I loved the work I did and my co-workers but the environment wore me down. Run, don't walk, away from jobs at this department.
Poor management and blatant favoritism
Human Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shenandoah County, VAJuly 13, 2018
Unhealthy environment to work in. Very immature behavior by supervisors. Low pay, high stress. You do the work of others who then take credit for your work.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Not IT Friendly
Employee (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 30, 2018
While the work is for a good cause management is more concerned with image than quality work output. Time and resources are wasted on poorly conceived ideas. There is no interest in creating and managing standards for a baseline for improvements. IT is too silo'd across the board even within divisions.
Pros
Some good co-workers
Cons
no long term strategies, employees are kept in the dark, employee input is discarded, micro managed
its great to work
Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 16, 2017
The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is a state supervised and locally administered social services system. Providing oversight and guidance to 120 local offices across the state, VDSS delivers a wide variety of services and benefits to over 1.6 million Virginians each year.
VDSS' programs are designed to help Virginia's most vulnerable citizens find permanent solutions to life's many challenges. The Department is responsible for administering a variety of programs, including Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Medicaid, Adoption, Child Care Assistance, Refugee Resettlement Services, and Child and Adult Protective Services.

The VaCMS (Virginia case management system) application is used to maintain the cases which are registered to VDSS through various programs such as Medicaid, TANF, SNAP, Child care etc. The interfaces module will act like interface between the VaCMS system and other third party vendors to send and receive the required data.
A Typical day at work
Systems Analyst - Advanced (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 11, 2018
Working for the state gives you a sense of accomplishment as you are helping the communities with benefits. When all systems are up and running, everyone is getting the help they need. My goal everyday is to make sure all systems are up and available.
Not a good place to upward mobility
Information Technology Customer Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 19, 2018
Not a good place to upward mobility. Look elsewhere in order to improve your chances for professional growth and on the job training. Too much favoritism and managers that don't listen to advice of the workers.
Pros
Na
Stressful Unfriendly Environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 10, 2017
High performance expectations on unfamiliar responsibilities with no training or support.
Unfriendly co-workers.
Political games played within Management.
No support or direction from management.
Extremely stressful work environment.
Pros
Stable employment after probation period
Cons
Untrained and unskilled managers, high work load with no direction or support.
Poor project execution overall
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 2, 2017
Poor guidelines and timelines. Management is least bothered about process and standards maintained in the project.
No work life balance. Less job security.