Virginia Department of Social Services Employee Reviews

Nice place
Payment Processing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 6, 2018
The area in which I am employed is a nice place to work. The lack of advancement in the unit is what bothers me. There is no where to move in the department.
Pros
holidays
Poor management and blatant favoritism
Human Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shenandoah County, VAJuly 13, 2018
Unhealthy environment to work in. Very immature behavior by supervisors. Low pay, high stress. You do the work of others who then take credit for your work.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Productive and Fun place to work
Benefit Program Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Goochland, VAJune 25, 2018
I would go back if the opportunity came up again. Working their was a great experience for me, the only thing I didn't like was our supervisor micromanage us all the time. Other than that I worked with some really great people.
Pros
Time
Cons
Micro management
terrible management
Family Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lexington, VAApril 16, 2018
The manager at my time of employment was harassing myself and other employees. This was brought to numerous peoples attention to no avail. The management was not following state policy for DSS and became combative when questioned.
Poor leadership for management
Family Service Specialist I cps (Former Employee) –  Culpeper, VAApril 5, 2018
Working at vdss in a small town is cut throat. Being the newbie, co-workers overload my caseload without proper training. Supervisor was rarely in the office to provide feedback. Most training and feedback came from coworkers with limited education and experience. People here will smile in your face while putting a knife in your back. Be careful working at that department. make sure you keep copies of your caseload for self-protection. Management lied about my caseloads, and I was terminated. I was in my probationary period. Cps Department needs a supervisor with leadership. A new asst. director is needed as well. Nepotism runs in the department. People are in potions that requires a degree which they do not have.
Pros
Experience
Cons
high school cliches, poor management, nepotism
Fun and Challenging
POLICY AND LEGISLATION MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 30, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed the Department of Social Services. It was very rewarding yet very challenging. The subject matter of my position was child abuse and neglect administrative hearings. However, the Department of Juvenile Justice offered a great challenge and more opportunities.
Not a good place to upward mobility
Information Technology Customer Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 19, 2018
Not a good place to upward mobility. Look elsewhere in order to improve your chances for professional growth and on the job training. Too much favoritism and managers that don't listen to advice of the workers.
Pros
Na
Not IT Friendly
Employee (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 30, 2018
While the work is for a good cause management is more concerned with image than quality work output. Time and resources are wasted on poorly conceived ideas. There is no interest in creating and managing standards for a baseline for improvements. IT is too silo'd across the board even within divisions.
Pros
Some good co-workers
Cons
no long term strategies, employees are kept in the dark, employee input is discarded, micro managed
A Typical day at work
Systems Analyst - Advanced (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 11, 2018
Working for the state gives you a sense of accomplishment as you are helping the communities with benefits. When all systems are up and running, everyone is getting the help they need. My goal everyday is to make sure all systems are up and available.
Stressful Unfriendly Environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 10, 2017
High performance expectations on unfamiliar responsibilities with no training or support.
Unfriendly co-workers.
Political games played within Management.
No support or direction from management.
Extremely stressful work environment.
Pros
Stable employment after probation period
Cons
Untrained and unskilled managers, high work load with no direction or support.
Not very well established
Payroll Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 8, 2017
Always grasping for air

Dead-lines are very hard to meet

Too many change in personnel

File Maintenance file disorganized

Hardest part of the job no one knows what to do
Pros
No parking fee
Cons
disorganized
Great place
Child Support Enforcement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Abingdon, VAMay 16, 2017
Great place to work. I have been employed for almost 2 years and I love working for DSS. I get the privilege of helping people. I work with a wonderful group of people.
A typical day at work
IT Specialist (Business Analyst) (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VA 23219April 7, 2017
It is rewarding to work for the department of social services. The workplace culture is enjoyable and fun. The most enjoyable part of the job is the recognition by management of a job well done.
productive and enjoyable place
QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 27, 2017
Good and enjoyable place.Employees work hard to provide the customers a bug free product.Clients satisfaction ids their main goal.
Comany's revenue is increasing day by day.
Awful, dysfunctional place
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 24, 2017
Gawd awful environment, stifling. People are afraid to speak and an environment of poison has been created by management at all levels throughout this totally dysfunctional agency.
Benefits
Cons
Dysfunctional, Poor Management
Lots of politics
Senior Web Developer (Former Employee) –  801 E. Main St. RichmondFebruary 6, 2017
More politics than the private sector. The benefits are great, but the sense of security is still not there. Buyer beware.
benefits
Cons
politics
Rewarding employment
Program Consultant Senior (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 20, 2017
How often do you get to do something where you love what you do and you get to play a role in helping low-income people to work toward self-sufficiency?
Pros
Great Partners
Cons
Not enough funding
its great to work
Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 16, 2017
The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is a state supervised and locally administered social services system. Providing oversight and guidance to 120 local offices across the state, VDSS delivers a wide variety of services and benefits to over 1.6 million Virginians each year.
VDSS' programs are designed to help Virginia's most vulnerable citizens find permanent solutions to life's many challenges. The Department is responsible for administering a variety of programs, including Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Medicaid, Adoption, Child Care Assistance, Refugee Resettlement Services, and Child and Adult Protective Services.

The VaCMS (Virginia case management system) application is used to maintain the cases which are registered to VDSS through various programs such as Medicaid, TANF, SNAP, Child care etc. The interfaces module will act like interface between the VaCMS system and other third party vendors to send and receive the required data.
Poor project execution overall
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 2, 2017
Poor guidelines and timelines. Management is least bothered about process and standards maintained in the project.
No work life balance. Less job security.
What I have learned
Helpdesk Production Support (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 20, 2015
Accurately assess Virginia Case Management System (VaCMS) helpdesk tickets for eligibility workers based upon current business rules implemented into the computerized eligibility system based on Federal, State, and local guidelines.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
No Paid Holidays or other benefits