Virginia Department of Social Services Employee Reviews

Don’t do it you’ll regret it
Foster Care Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth Va.October 24, 2018
I did foster care for the city of portsmouth VA. Worst decision I’ve ever made. Un-knowledgeable supervisors who were lazy, unmotivated. And lacked knowledge.
Pros
Holidays, weekends off
Cons
Poor management, clicks, high case and turnover rates
People with positive engagements
Office Specialist - Americorp Member (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 5, 2018
People from various nationalities, cultures and spiritual and religious backgrounds made of the melting pot of great and engaging outcomes for longevity.
Pros
Engaging with various people.
Cons
No cons.
great place to work if you manage your time
Program Admin Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 9, 2018
caseloads an be extremely large. management provides support and employee recognition and appreciation. clients are appreciative of the work you do.
Pros
weekends/holidays off
Cons
high staff turnover
Nice place
Payment Processing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 6, 2018
The area in which I am employed is a nice place to work. The lack of advancement in the unit is what bothers me. There is no where to move in the department.
Pros
holidays
for 3 years the dept. was behind in work. Management only helped by giving overtime.
General Administrative Supervisor 1/Coordinator 1 (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 1, 2018
stressful work environment, management does not see future problems when making decisions. seems like management does not care about the customers. willing to burn out the employee by overtime for long periods of time.
Poor management and blatant favoritism
Human Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shenandoah County, VAJuly 13, 2018
Unhealthy environment to work in. Very immature behavior by supervisors. Low pay, high stress. You do the work of others who then take credit for your work.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Productive and Fun place to work
Benefit Program Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Goochland, VAJune 25, 2018
I would go back if the opportunity came up again. Working their was a great experience for me, the only thing I didn't like was our supervisor micromanage us all the time. Other than that I worked with some really great people.
Pros
Time
Cons
Micro management
terrible management
Family Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lexington, VAApril 16, 2018
The manager at my time of employment was harassing myself and other employees. This was brought to numerous peoples attention to no avail. The management was not following state policy for DSS and became combative when questioned.
Poor leadership for management
Family Service Specialist I cps (Former Employee) –  Culpeper, VAApril 5, 2018
Working at vdss in a small town is cut throat. Being the newbie, co-workers overload my caseload without proper training. Supervisor was rarely in the office to provide feedback. Most training and feedback came from coworkers with limited education and experience. People here will smile in your face while putting a knife in your back. Be careful working at that department. make sure you keep copies of your caseload for self-protection. Management lied about my caseloads, and I was terminated. I was in my probationary period. Cps Department needs a supervisor with leadership. A new asst. director is needed as well. Nepotism runs in the department. People are in potions that requires a degree which they do not have.
Pros
Experience
Cons
high school cliches, poor management, nepotism
Fun and Challenging
POLICY AND LEGISLATION MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 30, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed the Department of Social Services. It was very rewarding yet very challenging. The subject matter of my position was child abuse and neglect administrative hearings. However, the Department of Juvenile Justice offered a great challenge and more opportunities.
Not a good place to upward mobility
Information Technology Customer Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 19, 2018
Not a good place to upward mobility. Look elsewhere in order to improve your chances for professional growth and on the job training. Too much favoritism and managers that don't listen to advice of the workers.
Pros
Na
office aid
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAFebruary 19, 2018
very lack luster energy among the full time employees and volunteers. program disorganization. too many opinions not enough voluble implementation among department heads
Pros
new skill learned
Cons
low morale
Not IT Friendly
Employee (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 30, 2018
While the work is for a good cause management is more concerned with image than quality work output. Time and resources are wasted on poorly conceived ideas. There is no interest in creating and managing standards for a baseline for improvements. IT is too silo'd across the board even within divisions.
Pros
Some good co-workers
Cons
no long term strategies, employees are kept in the dark, employee input is discarded, micro managed
A Typical day at work
Systems Analyst - Advanced (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 11, 2018
Working for the state gives you a sense of accomplishment as you are helping the communities with benefits. When all systems are up and running, everyone is getting the help they need. My goal everyday is to make sure all systems are up and available.
Stressful Unfriendly Environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 10, 2017
High performance expectations on unfamiliar responsibilities with no training or support.
Unfriendly co-workers.
Political games played within Management.
No support or direction from management.
Extremely stressful work environment.
Pros
Stable employment after probation period
Cons
Untrained and unskilled managers, high work load with no direction or support.
Not very well established
Payroll Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 8, 2017
Always grasping for air

Dead-lines are very hard to meet

Too many change in personnel

File Maintenance file disorganized

Hardest part of the job no one knows what to do
Pros
No parking fee
Cons
disorganized
Great place
Child Support Enforcement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Abingdon, VAMay 16, 2017
Great place to work. I have been employed for almost 2 years and I love working for DSS. I get the privilege of helping people. I work with a wonderful group of people.
A typical day at work
IT Specialist (Business Analyst) (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VA 23219April 7, 2017
It is rewarding to work for the department of social services. The workplace culture is enjoyable and fun. The most enjoyable part of the job is the recognition by management of a job well done.
Work / Home Balance
Family Service Worker Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAMarch 30, 2017
Long days into long nights some weeks are all work and no play. Sometimes difficult to balance work and home when the work never ends. The pay is good but the stress can be in excess.
productive and enjoyable place
QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 27, 2017
Good and enjoyable place.Employees work hard to provide the customers a bug free product.Clients satisfaction ids their main goal.
Comany's revenue is increasing day by day.