Virginia Department of Transportation
65Average

Virginia Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA52 reviews
N/a
The DOT job environment was satisfactory and professional. The benefits in the DOT motivates the employees to provide the best quality work. The most enjoyable part of my job was working in a all round technical work as part of my rotational assignment.
Good Job overall
Fast paced lots of work the day goes by pretty fast. It is really exciting to be part of such a great operation. You learn something new all the time. Everyday is different.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
Overtime isnt always available
Good
Good company to work for i was very happy to work there i would recommend to anyone to work there great benefits and retirement plans great pay system
Management sucks, have to wait 4 weeks to get your overtime pay! Superintendents dont like to give raises or supplies when needed. They dont give the overtime!
Awesome place to work!
I worked in the LAP Dept. Awesome management, great work/life balance, somewhat excellent communication! Wish they offered some sort of PTO to part time, but it’s still a great gig.
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Need to show the equally
The Northern VA working environment appears based on race and discrimination
You will never be giving the chance to move up unless you are belong to the group

All foreign origins have 0 chance to rehire or move up
Good environment
Everyone in the office are nice people, they are always willing to help you, its not always a stressful day, the easier days help you to get along with your coworkers.
VDOT Great Place to work
The Virginia Department of Transportation is a great opportunity for career growth and skill set exposures to network in the DC Region. This a great foundation for growth.
Pros
Potential
It's a job with very little advancement
✌🏾not really a great place to work for what you make. Pay is very low for the kind of work you that you do. Also moving up the the latter is really not going to happen unless you're lighter skinned and that's a shame to say but from what I have seen and heard that's what it is for the most part
Pros
You work for the state
Cons
Whatever you choose to think
productive workplace
Good place to work, be prepared, answer all questions, set up straight,be clean dressed,have your resume filled all the way out and submitted ahead of time before interview.
Pros
holidays off
Cons
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Virginia Department of Transportation?
Great Workplace
The people and culture are wonderful added benefits. I enjoy working at VDOT but I have not found opportunities for advancement. I have learned some great skill sets and found great colleagues.
Low paid contract work
Contract position for the state with poor management and low wages, no opportunity to grow and you will work shifts that are short people always. If you need a job go for it but long term dont bother.
Great Company with great employees.
A great job for employment, especially if you're a recent High School graduate. Great benefits, excellent staff and has a lot of potential for career growth.
Pros
Healthy environment
Cons
Hours of work.
nice
love to work in a team
I am very happy to learn about tech and to make decisions that affect the business and lives of clients. Looking for a motivated company to kick off my IT career
Good and Bad
Like any business you have your good and bad employees. Problem is bad, lazy, unethical employees are not removed. And, amazingly, get promoted. Some really intelligent, hardworking managers were pushed out or miserable due to political maneuverings of upper management. Poor communication skills and language barriers made it difficult to work effectively. Some great long term employees with valuable experience and great work ethic. Unlimited training opportunities is a plus.
It is a great place to learn and work i was a temp and i truly liked my job
For me i looked forward to coming to work.I liked learning something new each day.I didn't like just sating waiting on work that happened sometimes. I had a great boss he Encouraged us to jump on the Equipment.I fill we have a great team here.
Pros
You can learn alot and learn how to drive all the Equipment
Cons
None for me. I liked the hard work hands on.
Very Fast Paced
The Snow duty/ climate duty and 12 hours Night shifts are not what U was looking for in my career field. These shifts could fall on your busy time in the office.
CLC is a great starting point for holdover employment
C.L.C was a very nice company to work for,, what the promised they produced... love there service and commitment. and love the job sites they had me working, and the pay was excellent.. they paid top dollar
Pros
its a stepping stone to find job opportunities
Interesting position however my ethnicity definitely out weighed my job performance
This job required you to detailed oriented and specific. You were required to separate planes from each other and restricted airspace. The job itself was definitely intense at times, however given the right training and time to apply this can be done without any error.
Pros
you work rotations average time on position wasn't too tenous
Cons
small minded people, weak union, location, expectations of employees during inclement weather
Good place
It was my first accounting job and I learned so much! Learned different software and managed a team. Everyone was helpful and gots lots of training. I had lots of respect.
Pros
Amazing benefits and fun environment
Cons
Stressful, lots pressure
N/a
Review projects from locality, review schedule, coordinate with other departments or division inside vdot. Follow up activities and tasks. Call localities.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Virginia Department of Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.3
InHerSight Score
1.9Personal Development
2.5Career Opportunities
2.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight