Virginia Farm Bureau

Virginia Farm Bureau Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
The quality of life while working here was great. Any downside during my 10 years here had to do with the recession and then healthcare reform. Things have become a little more stable but the future of healthcare will probably remain unclear for awhile.
Pros
Hour lunch, free gym access, parking garage, good people
Cons
It's a job
Work and life balance
My employment with Farm Bureau has been an amazing journey. The area I work in allows me the flexibility to balance work life and job life. My supervisor is encourages me to learn knew things and pushes me to get out of my comfort zone.
No consistency
I really enjoyed the first couple of years then I realized there was no room for growth and management does not provide the tools to advance. Management changed, hours got longer and they don’t increase salary for education.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No room for growth
Not the greatest
Not the friendliest of places to work. The lack of effort shown in order to progress the company is evident after a short time there. Would not recommend.
Didn't work there very long
Not sure if things have changed but they had designated areas inside the building where people could smoke. That could be a plus for someone who smokes.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
Fast paced and stresful
Fast paced and stressful work environment in the claims department. The management was awful. One particular manager would walk down the hallway and not speak until spoken to. They would talk about you to their friends in other departments.
Good
The work place was good. Nice people new things daily Once a yr you get to go to a conference for 2 days and it is a blast. Trainers are amazing overall else.
Pros
other MSS
Cons
management
Not very well organized and some major communication issues.
My manager was useless and did nothing. However, the project manager was great. The company is a pretty good company. It was just in my experience that they needed more organization and better communication.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Bad Management
Good Work Environment
Computer operator on night shift
Run All job runs at night

Made program changes to fix errors

Run Checks

Custom Forms

System backups

Processed Polices for the day
Pros
Quiet working at night. Self management
Good place to start... not much else
This isn't a bad place to get your feet wet in the insurance business. In my area, most people haven't heard of the company, so the pace is slow. There are a lot of training classes, but if you don't have an experienced agent to teach you in the field, you're screwed.

Most of the people you meet "in the field" really are "salt of the earth" people. I met some great people working there.

Upper management on the other hand could really care less, and it's obvious. They care about the bottom line, and their own pockets. They don't listen to the agents, while constantly saying "tell us what you need". They Lord this "great opportunity" over you constantly, while telling you that you suck. Again, good place to start. But I wouldn't stay there as a career agent.
Pros
Not that difficult to get a start in this company. Most agents are good people.
Cons
Upper management has lost touch with the field, and it's clearly all about money for them
Productive workplace
Typical call center environment where we handle calls from insureds answering policy information and making changes to existing insurance policies. Friendly atmosphere
Find Something Better
When I started working here I was very excited. They talk about how important culture and employee wellness is during an interview. Don't believe it. Don't believe that hard work will help you grow. They value seniority and connections far higher than actual results. There are far too many people waiting out retirement for pensions rather than being committed to growth. The culture is seriously screwed up and don't get me started on internal management and HR. If want to deal with internal politics and lackluster culture then this is the place for you.
That said the benefits are great if you can stand it.
Pros
Benefits, truly 9-5
Cons
Management, No growth, Communication, Culture
Good Job
Good place to work, short time frame there. The location was not easy to get to so this is why it was a temporary placement for me. But all a good job.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
bad location
Productive, Good Environment
Good People, Learned lots from upper management. All employees Conducted themselves in a up standing professional manner. Great job security and clean facility.
Great company, great people!
I enjoyed my time as a temp CSR at the wise office. I would answer calls, file, process payments, and quote insurance. It's a Monday-Friday 9-5 job and they offer great pay and benefits.
Pros
Pay, Work Envirionment, People
Cons
Productive and motivating environment with diverse culture and cooperative atmosphere.
Working at Virginia Farm Bureau Insurance was a privilege, as well as a learning experience. Through the Information Services department, innovative thinking and customer service was the main traits each employee was required to pursue each and every day. Eventually, work became a hobby and I enjoyed myself training users on the cisco phone system along with training users on the Jabber application. Traveling around the state weeks at a time was an exhilarating experience that required upmost responsibility geographical mapping. I gained many close relationships with my supervisors and colleagues, as well as learning from others mistakes only resulting in preventing flaws of my own. We worked as a team and always were able to teach each other something new.
Pros
My position required innovating thinking and traveling.
Cons
Discourage of cross training.
Smoke and Mirrors...and angry customers!
The company has deep seated issues at the corporate management level. Ever-changing underwriting requirements, premium increases, and computer glitches that aggravate customers. I could no longer defend the company's actions that defied logic, and moved on. I am grateful for the friendships I made with customers, I am no longer a member nor a customer.
Pros
Friendships with customers who were neighbors
Cons
Bad Management that affected retention
Not The Job They Say
I was an Agent for several years with VAFB. The company does not live up to its own hype. The upper management is a revolving door and the expectations and quotas are moving targets. I had 14 people in my original Agents Training Class all hired at the same time. All of us had left the company for similar reasons by the end of 5 years. I would not reccomend working here to anyone.
Cons
Poor Management & Pressure to hit quotas
Excellent Place to Wrok
I've completely enjoyed working at Virginia Farm Bureau. My co-works are like family. My supervisor is wonderful. The work is challenging at times, but if provides a great balance between work and family. I'd recommend this job to anyone.
Health Division is a disaster
Great people work at Farm Bureau, but the management of HCC is in total disarray. No clue on how to run a health agency. Expectation of long hours and finger pointing when things go wrong. Micro management by folks who haven't got a clue.

Farm Bureau has good folks on the P and C side and have a positive work environment, but no clue on the Health side.
Pros
Great office space
Cons
In-experienced management
good work life balance...conservative company....benefits are mediocre - have been stripped away from employees over the years....
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Virginia Farm Bureau. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8