Virginia Hospital Center
70Above average

Virginia Hospital Center Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA491 reviews
Day to Day Duties
Normal Clerical duties and admin duties as well as triage patients for doctors. I was a contact lens tech as well. I managed the selld of contacts and taught classes on how to care for them.
Pros
free Lunch
This hospital is changing
I started my nursing career at VHC. It used to be a place where nurses were valued and supported. Unfortunately with their expansion project underway money has become more important than employee concerns, staffing, and most importantly patient safety. The staffing cuts for budgets sake often resulted in unsafe nurse to patient ratios. I experienced a serious lack of support from management. I have since left VHC. Beware, this is NOT a top hospital for nurses anymore.
June 3, 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am disappointed to learn of your experience here at VHC. We pride ourselves in treating every member of our team like family, and it saddens me to see that you did not feel supported in your time with us. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience further. I can be reached directly at VHCexperience@virginiahospitalcenter.com. -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.
Prejudice place
The unit manager is clueless, not very smart lady. Extremely prejudice manager. This hospital have multiple law suit going on because discrimination. Working in day shift is not worth what they paying for RN
June 3, 2020
I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. I can assure you that this type of behavior is not acceptable from any team member at VHC, and I would appreciate the opportunity to learn more about the situation you have described as we are not aware of any current claims of discrimination. I can be reached directly at VHCexperience@virginiahospitalcenter.com. Thank you, and I look forward to hearing from you. -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.
Management Needs Improvement
I found myself incredibly micromanaged and treated unfairly compared to my coworkers. There is inconsistency with expectations and most “feedback” is based on subjective perceptions and not objective data. They record every meeting they have with you and on annual review will STILL bring up small problems that happened months ago (being tardy ONE day on my own case) and dock you for it. I’m a hard worker and I’m good at my job yet feel unappreciated.
April 21, 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share this. We strive to always offer a supportive work environment for all team members, and I am disappointed that you did feel that during your time at VHC. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this in greater detail. I can be reached directly at VHCexperience@virginiahospitalcenter.com. -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.
Friendly nursing staff and doctors.
Staff and doctors are friendly and respectable. Willing to work together. Case Management Managers do not have equal clinical or case management experience compared to their employees. Lacking organization and training within the department.
April 21, 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback. I am happy to hear that you feel supported by your team. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your comments regarding team training methods in greater detail, and can be reached directly at VHCexperience@virginiahospitalcenter.com. Thank you for everything you do to protect the health and safety of our community. -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
Fast paced, able to learn new ideas, processes; room for growth.
I like variety so my day often involved whatever no one else knew what to do or how to handle. I kind of was the "go to" person for all things complex and high profile
Pros
nice staff members
Cons
management biased to specific personnel (women)
April 21, 2020
Thank you for sharing this feedback. We pride ourselves on a culture of teamwork and I am happy to hear that you felt that during your time here at VHC. Would you kindly reach out to me directly at VHCexperience@virginiahospitalcenter.com to discuss your concerns above? Thank you for your service to our patients and team. -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.
Poor Management (all inclusive) and Ineffective Human Resources
Unfortunately my last experience with VHC has caused me to leave a less than positive review, but I feel it necessary in an effort to pay it forward for others.

In order for a work environment to not feel hostile but instead safe, two things need to be in place; effective communication with all levels of management and management’s ability to compromise in times of need. VHC failed at both of these necessities. Management of all levels and Human Resources (HR) are less than professional thereby providing no top cover nor a safe working environment. HR only sides with management to benefit the hospital – not the employee or ultimately both. The lack of accountability has led to discrimination & nepotism.

As a direct reflection of budget manipulation, time cards were allowed to be approved although inaccurate and job status codes were changed without employee’s consent or any type of counseling. There was no consideration for proposed alternate work schedules during COVID-19 and the inability to comply with non-compromised schedules were considered grounds for involuntary resignation. Positions are not being written to reflect the actual job requirements and the peer interview process does not award employees a fair opportunity to have a part in selecting their peers. Speaking out and telling the truth leads to consequences versus being heard and finding solutions.

I have experienced on two separate occasions where HR was a part of the equation, yet there was no favorable solution. Good management should strive to promote a solution that is best for both the organization
 - more...
April 21, 2020
Thank you for your detailed review. I am disappointed to hear that you did not feel supported during your time at VHC. Our mission is to be not only the best Hospital system in the DC metro area, but the best workplace as well. Would you kindly reach out to me directly at VHCexperience@virginiahospitalcenter.com to discuss your concerns in greater detail? -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.
Great benefits
I was able to be a team player. In this job I was able to learn how to assist with setting up events for hospital. I think the hardest part of job would be sitting at the computer for almost 8 hours a day. However, if I were offered to work there again I would. I think that this was Public Affairs and Marketing Assistant was my most favorite job I have ever had.
April 19, 2020
Thank you for your kind review. I’m happy to hear your experience as a VHC team member was such a positive one! We truly are a family here and try our very best to support our staff in every way we can. Wishing you all the best in your future endeavors. -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.
Great Place to Work
I love working here. I have only been here under a year but I have learned more here than I have at other hospitals. They also let you know in orientation before you think about leaving the company come talk to Hr or recruitment so maybe they can find a position better suited for you.
March 3, 2020
Thank you for your review! I am happy to hear that your experience at VHC has been a positive one. We are always working to ensure that our team members feel valued and supported. Thank you for your commitment to excellent patient care. -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.
Magnificent Work Place
One of the best hospitals to work with, Management is always involved in employee career development. All the nurses work together like a team. Great compensation and benefit package.
February 26, 2020
Thank you for your review of VHC! I am glad to hear that your experience was an overall positive one. We take a lot of pride in our culture of teamwork and patient experience. Best of luck in your next endeavor! -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Virginia Hospital Center?
Good
Good work environment. Always have good management who want to listen to employees’ voice. Always recommend people to work in VHC. Hospital currently expanding and encourage employees to seek personal academic and skill development.
February 26, 2020
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience. I am pleased to hear that you are enjoying your team, our benefits package and opportunities for growth here at VHC. Thank you for all that you do for our patients and team! -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.
Plenty room to grow and learn about other ares of the hospital.
My typical day at work is very busy and at times can be stressful. But I'm working with a good team and we get the job done. The management can do a little better. By not having favorites,having favorites can create a friction or tension kind of environment. A true supervisor or manager should not have favorites. You should just be fair and firm. And know that everybody is in some way or somehow contributing to the company. And the hardest part of the job is dealing with attitudes. And stop having clicks in the workplace. Doesn't create a good welcoming environment.
February 26, 2020
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience. I am pleased to hear that you are enjoying your team and opportunities for growth here at VHC. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you about how we could better support you in your position. Would you kindly reach out to me at VHCexperience@virginiahospitalcenter.com to discuss in greater detail? Thank you for all that you do for our patients and team! -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.
Family orientated
Great chapter in my life. They gave lots of training and support. Made lots of friends and contacts. They support and invest in their employees . Great job!
February 26, 2020
I'm happy to hear how wonderful your experience was here at VHC! We have an incredible culture of teamwork, and we thank you for being such a wonderful part of that. Best of luck in your next endeavor! -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.
Wonderful place to work
VHC is a kind and friendly environment. Everyone greets each other as we walk down the hallway. Patient safety and satisfaction is our number 1 concern.
January 27, 2020
Thank you for your review! I am pleased to hear that your experience at VHC has been a positive one. We are continually working to ensure our employees feel valued and that patient safety remains our number one priority. We would not be able to accomplish this without our incredible team. Thank you for your commitment to excellent patient care. -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.
No job security
When your supervisor do not like you he can say anything to management and they believe it and they let you go at any time and the Personnel Department do not back you. They need a union
Pros
I like working with people
Cons
But not at Virginia Hospital Center
January 26, 2020
Thank you for sharing this feedback. I am saddened to hear that you did not feel supported by management during your time at VHC. Would you kindly reach out to me at VHCexperience@virginiahospitalcenter.com to discuss your concerns in greater detail? -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.
Very competitive pay and wonderful chance for upward mobility.

Magnet institute for rns.

Wonderful benefits and great match for 401k
January 7, 2020
I'm happy to hear you're enjoying your experience at VHC. We work hard to ensure our team members feel supported in both their current position and career path. Thank you for your review and for your service to our patients and team. -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.
The patient experience
U love it . And Helping others. Experiecing Goid Feedback from patience helps me to understand. The value of a life and Really help me to Get things inorder for the othere patients or hospital experience
January 7, 2020
Thank you for your review! I'm happy to hear that you felt supported in your position. Thank you for your service to our patients and team! -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.
Poor company culture but great pay and benefits
This company offers great pay and benefits but consists of poor management and does not empower employees. Lack of support from management contributes to stressful work environments and burnout. With that being said, it is a top hospital that offers many opportunities to grow.
January 7, 2020
Thank you for your honest feedback. I am happy to hear that you appreciated the benefits and compensation that are offered at VHC, but saddened to hear that did not feel supported in your position. Would you kindly reach out to me at VHCexperience@virginiahospitalcenter.com to discuss your concerns in greater detail? -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.
Great facility with amazing staff members.
Virginia hospital was an amazing place for personal growth within the healthcare world. The hospital as a whole greatly attended to the needs of its employees. I learned how to communicate with patients regarding their health, provide them with the best schedules/times to align with their busy lives. I also learned how to use EPIC which was our EMR system. The hardest part of the job was trying to balance the needs of the therapists and nurses while providing care/attention to the patients. The most enjoyable part was being able to learn something new everyday and being able to use that tool from then on out during my stay at the facility.
The care they have for patients and employees
The company appreciates the diversity of its employees and the employees well being as well. Respect for employees and frequent educational programs together with refresher courses
January 7, 2020
Thank you for your review! I am happy to hear that you appreciate our continued education opportunities as well as your team. Thank you for everything that you do for our patients and team! -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.
Great company
VHC is a great pace to work. the company is outstanding. they value their employees. Love it here. Only reason why i'm currently looking for a new job is because of the distance to travel. If the commute was closer then absolutely no problem.
January 7, 2020
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear that you love your work, our culture and your team. If you would like to discuss your current work/life situation in greater detail, I can be reached directly at VHCexperience@virginiahospitalcenter.com. Thank you for your commitment to our patients and team. -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Virginia Hospital Center. Our community is ready to answer.
Women's ratings

1.7Fairygodboss Score

33%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

33%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Virginia Hospital Center Reviews by Location