Virginia Hospital Center
Happiness rating is 63 out of 100

Virginia Hospital Center Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Normal Clerical duties and admin duties as well as triage patients for doctors. I was a contact lens tech as well. I managed the selld of contacts and taught classes on how to care for them.
Pros
free Lunch
I've had an overall great experience at VHC. The benefits and people are fantastic. My only struggle was that they focus heavily on nurses and there isn't a lot of upward mobility unless you are planning to become a nurse or physician. I tried to make small improvements but was shut down most of the time. You aren't appreciated enough to put extra work into the job.
Pros
benefits, people, HR department
March 26, 2021
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear that you are enjoying our benefits package and your fellow team members! I am available at any time to discuss your career path here at VHC. If you would like to speak in further detail about potential avenues for growth in your position, I can be reached directly at VHCexperience@virginiahospitalcenter.com. -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.
peers are awesome, management is not understanding and outdated. many people are leaving due to bad management. lot of turn over with new nurses. they have trouble with retention.
Pros
free parking, updated equipment/rooms
Cons
managment, pay
March 17, 2021
Thank you for your review. I am disappointed to hear of the experience you had during your time with us. We strive to create a supportive work environment for all team members. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you further about your experience. Please contact me directly at VHCexperience@virginiahospitalcenter.com to set up a time to discuss. -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.
There is a distinct culture that is led by roughly 30 year olds that have no prior OR experience before working at VHC. There is a definite culture of cronyism that is cultured by the senior management of the OR.
Pros
It’s a job.
Cons
They pay more elsewhere.
March 26, 2021
Thank you for your review. I am saddened to hear that you do not feel supported in your position. We strive to create a safe and supportive work environment for all employees, and do not tolerate the kind of behavior you have described. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you further about your experience. Please contact me directly at VHCexperience@virginiahospitalcenter.com to set up a time to discuss. -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.
I loved working there. As a tech, I loved my team. Unfortunately, management was awful, from my unit all the way to upper management. Then Covid happened and things started to get messy. The nurse would be informed of Covid+ patients but techs would not. Parking was a battle every morning since they do not have enough onsite parking. And they were forcing everyone to leave the car opened with keys inside and just come get the key at the end of their shift. Before covid, we had to park 1 mile away and take a shuttle.
Pros
Great Teams, Fun Work
Cons
Parking is awful
March 9, 2021
Thank you for your feedback. I am concerned to hear that you did not feel supported in your position during your time with us. We strive to cultivate a spirit of openness and teamwork at VHC and I am disappointed to hear that this was not your individual experience. With regards to parking, our expansion project is well underway, which also includes additional parking. We are thrilled for what this project will mean for our patients, visitors and team members. Thank you for your time with us at Virginia Hospital Center and your service to our patients. -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
They want one person to do the job of people. It really impedes patent experience. the pay is there. But all money ain't good money . It is growing hospital though there is room for improvement
Pros
Good PTO
Cons
Short lunch
March 1, 2021
Thank you for your feedback, and for your valuable contributions to our team. We pride ourselves in creating a work environment that is supportive and encouraging. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you further about the concerns you stated. We're always listening for ways to improve, and your feedback is importantI to us! I can be reached directly at VHCexperience@virginiahospitalcenter.com. -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.
For the most part I loved my time at VHC. They do try to create a really great culture and the people that work there overall are wonderful and hardworking. Some of the management were toxic but I do think that isn't exclusive to VHC.
Pros
Experience, culture, salary
Cons
Work/life balance; managment
February 7, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We pride ourselves on a culture of teamwork and I am happy to hear that you felt that during your time here at VHC. Thank you for your service to our patients and team, and best of luck in all of your future endeavors!  -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.
Been working here for several year now. Started off as a new graduate RN. Management is friendly. However corporate interests are well evident. the staff were very close, at least in my department. But this place will squeeze you for every last drop of productivity they can.
January 22, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! I am pleased to hear that you love your work, our culture and your team. If you would like to discuss your current work/life situation in greater detail, please feel free to reach out to me anytime at VHCexperience@virginiahospitalcenter.com. Thank you for your commitment to our patients and team. -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience
Staffing had its ups and down which is common with all hospitals, but overall the teamwork helped the days go by smoothly. There is a wonderful culture amongst the staff. I really felt like family with the people I worked with.
Pros
Culture, benefits, staff
Cons
Pay
January 22, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at VHC. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us! We have an incredible culture of teamwork, and we thank you for being such a wonderful part of that. Best of luck in your next endeavor! -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.
VHC is a teaching hospital and as such provides RN and even medical students the skills and knowledge that they need. Almost all the staff are nice and respectful There is a cordial relationship between physicians and nurses. The hospital's comprehensive benefit is amazing. There is also an opportunity for carrier growth and development.
Pros
Feel respected, team work among others
November 16, 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience working at VHC. We pride ourselves on a culture of teamwork, education, development and support, and I’m happy to hear that you feel that here. We truly have the best employees and we thank you for being one of them! -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with such an amazing team. Senior leadership is accessible and open to hearing any challenges. I feel heard!
Pros
Teaching, Magnet, Rewarding
Cons
Parking - but new parking lot is being built now.
November 16, 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We’re so glad to see that you feel supported and encouraged by senior leadership. We are equally as excited for the new expansion project and what it will mean for staff and patients. Thank you for the work you do to ensure we have the very best team here at VHC! -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.
Work-life balanceWork-life balance at Virginia Hospital Center is non existencePay & benefitsMy pay and benefits at Virginia Hospital Center are low pay good benefitsJob security and advancementIn terms of job security at Virginia Hospital Center, I think no HR supportManagementIn general, managers at Virginia Hospital Center not goodCultureCollaboration with my colleagues at Virginia Hospital Center is goodOverallMy experience working at Virginia Hospital Center is average, it was a job
There are efforts to engage, but still feels like alot of division depending on hierarchy, race, etc. Some people just sound good or look good on paper - it doesn't mean they should be leaders. Need more intuitive recruitment that looks past appearances. Too many Narcisist in charge for too long going unaddressed & unchallenged. Consistency being transparent and genuine kindness goes a long way.
Pros
Benefits/Insurance
Cons
No bonuses or incentives. Can be clique-ish
October 13, 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. I am disappointed to hear of your experience. We work hard to offer a supportive and encouraging work environment for all of our team members, and it’s discouraging to hear you did not feel that during your time with us. I would love the opportunity to discuss your comments in further detail. If you are willing, please contact me directly at VHCexperience@virginiahospitalcenter.com to set up a time to discuss. -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.
I worked evs the managers were horrible In the show favoritism torts the white an Spanish and treated the black people like trash and the nurses used to talk to us any Kind of way And when we told management there was nothing done all the work that EVs does you would think they would treat us better but no I will never work for this hospital again and I wouldn’t recommend nobody else to.
October 6, 2020
Thank you for your review. I am disappointed to hear of the experience you had during your time with us. We strive to create a safe and supportive work environment for all employees, and do not tolerate the kind of behavior you have described. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you further about your experience. Please contact me directly at VHCexperience@virginiahospitalcenter.com to set up a time to discuss. -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.
The VHC is a one of kind, a very professional hospital with friendly workers. Teamwork plays a vital role in our everyday task. I enjoy working there.
Pros
self- scheduling, overtime pay and bonuses
Be aware of racist managers who are politically motivated to treat certain members of their staff very different. Worst hospital I've ever worked at in my career. Non-clinical staff forced to work the Covid- 19 frontline without proper infectious disease training or PPE. Take your education and experience and go elsewhere.
Pros
Employees are very nice.
Cons
Employees are too afraid to speak up against unfair treatment
It is a great hospital with great people. The culture is amazing. I am really happy to be part of this hospital. I recommend RNs to apply for this company.
Pros
No shift rotation, benefits and salary
Cons
Short of staff
September 15, 2020
Thank you for your review! I am pleased to hear that your experience at VHC has been a positive one and that you are enjoying our culture of teamwork and benefits package. I would love the opportunity to discuss in further detail your comments regarding staffing and can be reached directly at VHCexperience@virginiahospitalcenter.com. Thank you for your service to our patients and team! -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.
VHC is a great place to start as a new grad RN. They put a lot of work into making sure that their new grads have an easy transition. Very good learning environment. Benefits are great especially if you’ve worked for the company for a while (5+ years). The pay isn’t that great compared to other locations.
Benefits
Cons
Management, pay
August 17, 2020
Thank you for sharing this feedback. As a teaching hospital, we appreciate hearing that you had a smooth transition as a new nursing graduate. We do conduct regular salary reviews to ensure we are competitive in our area. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss the areas that you feel we could improve in. I can be reached directly at VHCexperience@virginiahospitalcenter.com. Thank you for your service to our patients - we are happy to have you on our team! -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.
Started a nurse residency program here and couldn't have been happier. Wonderful program and support from all levels. Nurses were friendly and appeared to really enjoy their job.
Pros
great nurses to work with
Cons
pay seemed a bit lower than other hospitals
August 17, 2020
Thank you for your review! I am pleased to hear that your experience at VHC has been a positive one. We are continually working to ensure our employees feel valued and always strive to provide support, resources, and pay/benefits packages that ensure they feel appreciated and taken care of. If you felt that this was not the case with your pay package, I would like the chance to speak further. Please contact me at VHCexperience@virginiahospitalcenter.com to set up a time to discuss this in greater detail. Thank you for your service to our patients! -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.
My review goes this way, First working the nursing field gives you job security, also if you are type that enjoy helping others. It gives you joy and fulfillment, and also give you the opportunity to learn more, and l am happy I did.
Pros
Free lunch, good health insurance.
Cons
Short breaks, sometimes very stressful
August 17, 2020
Thank you so much for the positive review! We always strive to provide our staff with support, resources, and pay/benefits packages that ensure they feel appreciated and taken care of. We could not do what we do without each and every one of you and your dedication to outstanding patient care! Thank you for being a part of our team and for your service to our patients! -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience.
A great diversity of staff members. Everyone is willing to help each other out even in challenging times. Management is supportive and works beside the staff when there is a shortage. The doctors overall are supportive and are willing to help staff members through difficult cases and vice versa
Pros
Management works beside employees, great diverse group of people, surgeons are enjoyable to work with
Cons
I had to move out of state :( otherwise I would stay there for the rest of my career
July 6, 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share this review. I am happy to hear that you felt supported during your time with us. We strive to offer excellent service and support to both our patients and team. Wishing you the best of luck in all your future endeavors! -- Grace Greenan, AVP, People and Experience