Virginia Mason Medical Center Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 29, 2018
I have loved working at VM and will miss it. They are a great company to work for and care about their Nurses. I hope to find a home like I have at VM at another hospital in AZ.
June 4, 2018

We appreciate you sharing your work experience at Virginia Mason. Thank you for acknowledging our focus on our team members. We value and believe they deserve the best experience we can offer. We wish you all the best in Arizona.

Structured
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 21, 2018
This position offered continuous structure and camaraderie with the my working peers. Allowed each of us to take control of our work areas and manage them according to the VM policies. Patients first was a motto that we all lived by.
Pros
Patients first and amazing knowledge shared.
Cons
Not much room for advancement
May 24, 2018

We appreciate you sharing your work experience at Virginia Mason. Thank you for highlighting our commitment to our patients and staff. We have worked hard to create a culture where we provide remarkable experiences for our patients and team members whereby our team members feel valued and feel empowered in their jobs to succeed and grow. We are disappointed you felt there was not much room for advancement, and we will share your feedback with our HR, Pharmacy and Operations leadership teams. We wish you the best in the future.

lot of great employee to work with
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 18, 2018
it can sometime can be very hard place to work for. But the poeple are fun to work with. But the workplace culture there is just little trust there and I don't fill that Igoing to get that opportunity to get promoted here I beleave the hardest part of working here is to get employee to trust in the management..
Pros
the people you with
Cons
No parking
May 9, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. We’re glad to hear you find your team fun to work with – having great co-workers around you is important, and we work hard to hire, develop, and celebrate the best people. We’re sorry that your culture experience isn’t meeting your expectations. We hope that you’ll reach out to your Human Resources Business Partner so we can hear more about your concerns and work through them together. Respect for people is at the core of who we are at Virginia Mason, and we’ll keep doing our best to improve the employee experience.

Lean Culture
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 15, 2018
VM was my first introduction to the LEAN culture and it has transformed my life. The culture at VM is unparallel to any other healthcare organization I have experienced.
April 16, 2018

We appreciate you taking time to write a review of your work experience. We're happy to hear how much you valued the introduction to the Virginia Mason Production System and, how you found our culture to be unparalleled to any other. Thank you for sharing your feedback.

Understaffed/Constantly On-Call
Emergency Department Admitting Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 15, 2018
The admitting department is understaffed, leading to many hours just trying to find coverage to work in the ED, which is a 24/7 department. The company is very focused on reducing costs which means that there is no room for employee recognition.
Pros
Nice Manager
Cons
Very tight budget with no room for employee recognition.
April 16, 2018

Thank you for providing feedback about your work experience at Virginia Mason. We’re sorry that it didn’t measure up to our shared expectations. We value our team members and strive to create an environment where everyone feels respected and their contributions valued and recognized. We do appreciate hearing from you and will share your comments with the appropriate leaders within Virginia Mason.

excellent place to work
Registered nurse (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 10, 2018
Virginia Mason prides itself in providing excellent care and invests in their employees to obtain this goal. I have had many jobs in my 35 years of nursing, and hands down, VM rates high above any other employer.
April 16, 2018

Thank you taking time to write a review of your work experience at Virginia Mason and we are happy to hear you found the emphasis we place on providing excellent care to patients and to our staff to be a positive driving force of our culture. We appreciate your feedback.

Awful
Member of Orthopedic and Neurosurgical Team (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 3, 2018
Person stood outside OR with stopwatch and clipboard and timed turnovers. CS is a building and 3 floors away. Expect a delay for any instrument request if the person answering the phone actually understands the request
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
everything else
April 10, 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your work experience with us, and we are sorry you feel this way. While we can't change your experience, we will make sure to share this information with our leadership team. We wish you the best in your career pursuits.”

Good Place to Work
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 9, 2018
I enjoyed my time with VM. However, it is hard to live on $19/hour in a city that is one of the most expensive in the USA. I only wish to relocate to a place that is more affordable to for me. Nothing against VM, just wish it was in a more affordable city.
Pros
Good people to work with, good company to work for
Cons
Erratic staffing
I love the VMMC Production System
Clinical Nurse Leader- Med/Surg (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 5, 2018
I love the many Lean, Kaizen projects at VM and was fascinated by the VMMC Production System and how well it worked with every day problems and with every employee. It brought the concepts learned from Six Sigma down to a basic, usable level.
March 12, 2018

We appreciate you taking time to write a review of your work experience, and we are happy to hear you are enjoyed your employment with Virginia Mason - especially the Kaizen projects and the Virginia Mason Production System. Thank you for sharing, and we wish you the best in your career pursuits.

Best Workplace Culture
MEDICAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 1, 2018
I have worked for Virginia Mason since May 2003 ot June 2014. I had the pleasure of working with outstanding providers and coworkers. I learned a lot from both providers and coworkers that helped me to perform my job efficiently.
February 5, 2018

We appreciate you taking time to write a review of your overall experience at Virginia Mason. Thank you very much for sharing your feedback. It is very important to visitors to be able to hear from our employees past and present.

Interesting work
Pathology Laboratory Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 24, 2018
My days are always full, there is a lot of work to do. Have to be able to manage time well and keep a balance of priority of tasks. Quick paced and fast moving.
January 30, 2018

We appreciate you taking time to write a review of your work experience, and are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with Virginia Mason. Thank you for sharing your feedback and keep up the great work!

Good company!
PATIENT CARE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 22, 2018
Willing to listen to changes that need to occur, constantly improving. The Doctors really care about their patients and put in long hours to make sure everything is finished.
January 30, 2018

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback. We appreciate you taking time to write a review of your overall experience at Virginia Mason. We wish you all the best in your career pursuits.

great quality assurance position
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 17, 2018
This was a small department and my co-workers had been there a long time, so they were very helpful in training me and encouraging me in this, my first attempt at working in Quality. We were autonomous and allowed to work as our own paces. Management and the phjysician with whom I worked were all supportive.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
I was not comfortable with some of the required mathmatical computations required for the positiosn
January 22, 2018

We appreciate you taking time to write a review of your work experience, and are happy to hear you found your coworkers encouraging and supportive, and that you enjoyed your employment with Virginia Mason. Thanks for sharing your feedback, it is important to visitors to be able to hear from our employees past and present.

Worst place I've ever worked
Certified Medical Assistant, Neurology (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 12, 2018
Nothing good to say except that health benefits are okay if all providers are at VMMC. Otherwise benefits are pretty terrible.
This organization is not supportive of employees.
January 15, 2018

Thank you for sharing your input about your work experience with us, and we are very sorry you feel this way. While we can't change your experience, we will share this information with our leadership team and use it to improve going forward. We wish you the best in your career pursuits.

Busy- Anxiety filled
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 6, 2018
I was a new hire. It was hard to explain since I was the one who experienced these. I'm glad this review is anonymous. I really hope and pray so. The manager there was tyrant and beyond condescending. I felt the first day she never liked me. I was stressed everyday coming to work. Between her and the other trainer, I had a feeling I wont be permanent. I was nit picked, and treated unfairly. Not sure if they felt threatened or knew they can do anything since I was a new kid. I have never been treated by a manager supported by a trainer connived to make sure I don't get the job. I had never had a manager who treated me as if I was dumb and stupid. Not sure what it was. Little mistakes were made big so I would look unintelligent and inefficient. Was micromanaged. Fast turn overs on staff, always short . Manager was a hitler. Nobody can touch her empire. Mason is her empire for 26 yrs or so.. I was let go - hurt but not shocked or surprised.

Positive-I enjoyed working with most providers there. However
Virginia Mason was a big big mistake. I should have never left my previous company over a $1.87/hr increase. Worst place to work for. Worst manager.
Pros
Met few nice providers
Cons
Poor, Worst Manangement
January 10, 2018

Thank you for taking time to provide a review of your work experience at Virginia Mason. We appreciate your feedback. While we can't change your experience, we want you to know we will share this information with our leadership teams. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Nice location
Supply Tech 1 (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 28, 2017
Going to work at this place was nice because you knew you would get a nice scenery. In the heart of Seattle the only bad thing was finding parking to get to work. Nice place to work friendly people.
December 29, 2017

We appreciate you taking time to write a review of your work experience, and are happy to hear you enjoyed your employment with Virginia Mason. Thank you for sharing your feedback and best of luck in your future career endeavors.

ophthalmic assistant
Opthalmic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood, WADecember 27, 2017
Virgina Mason is located in Washington state. It was an excellent place to work and the management was fabulous. Virginia Mason is a well known hospital and medical clinic with several specialties. Ophthalmology was ran very well and the physicians were excellent and skilled in their trade. I enjoyed the environment and my coworkers. There was a lot of opportunity to learn new things and advance in my career. I only left there because I moved out of state.
Pros
great benefits, good management, positive environment
January 10, 2018

We appreciate you taking time to write a review of your work experience, and are happy to hear you are enjoyed your employment with Virginia Mason. Thank you for sharing your feedback, and we wish you the best in your career pursuits.

Busy Hospital well managed
Hospital Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 16, 2017
I worked at VM over 15 years ago and at the time I thought it was very well run. I enjoyed the teaching aspect of the institution and the focus and the focus on the patient's experience.
December 18, 2017

We appreciate you taking time to write a review of your work experience, and are happy to hear you are enjoyed your employment with Virginia Mason. Thank you very much for sharing your feedback. It is very important to visitors to be able to hear from our employees past and present.

Don't work here
Patient Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 8, 2017
Overworked and underpaid. I really expected more from this company. Micromanaged to the point where you're constantly anxious. Management would stand behind you constantly if they could. They pile on more things to do on top of the ones that need to be done but won't give extra time. Not a good work culture at all!
Pros
orca is $50
Cons
Stress and anxiety, getting time off is hard, micromanaged.
December 11, 2017

Thank you for providing feedback about your work experience at Virginia Mason. Virginia Mason’s focus on quality, compassion and continual improvement, means we take your feedback very seriously. We value our team members and strive to create an environment where everyone feels respected and that their contributions are valued. While we can't change your experience, we want you to know will share this information with our leadership teams. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Great place to work!
Staff (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 4, 2017
Great place to work! Practices what it preaches (Toyota Production system), has great leaders and is willing to look outside the box. Will look to give you opportunities to grow as a leader.
December 5, 2017

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Virginia Mason Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight