Virginia Mason Medical Center Employee Reviews

It's rated as one of the best medical centers to work at in the country for a reason
Student Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 13, 2019
Unparalleled dedication to not only it's patients, but it's staff as well. Every decision that I've been aware of serves to increase the satisfaction of those who need their service and to those who provide it. Biggest drawbacks are those that are found in any hospital--the emotional drain of working with the sick and dying, long and early hours, high expectations, etc.
March 14, 2019

We appreciate you sharing your comments regarding your experience at Virginia Mason. We work hard to create a culture where we provide remarkable experiences for our patients AND team members whereby they feel valued and empowered in their jobs to succeed and grow. We wish you the best in your future endeavors. Thank you!

Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 13, 2019
Great place to work.l and build a career. They offer great benefits and on site training. Tuition reambursment. Payroll deduction for meals , prescriptions and gift shop.
February 18, 2019

Thank you for taking time to share your comments regarding your work experience. We are delighted to hear you find Virginia Mason a great place to work and build a career. We work hard to be the best place our team members have ever worked. Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience and keep up the great work.

You will be treated as a number
RN (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 28, 2019
Management selects favorites and caters toward the ones they get along with best.
I felt as though patient care did not come first in this respect.
VM is understaffed and overworked.
Cons
difficult to get time off
January 30, 2019

Continuous improvement is the bedrock of our work at Virginia Mason – we’re always looking for ways to reflect and improve – so we appreciate the time you took to share your comments on your work experience. Our focus on improvement means we take all feedback seriously and your comments have been shared with our leadership team.

Productive,Caring,Rewarding and fun place to work
Clinic Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 13, 2019
I enjoyed working for Virginia Mason.
They have good benefits. Growth opportunity for continuing education.
It is a positive place to work.
The medical center cares about there
employees and patients.
Pros
Orca card provided at low cost for the year.
Cons
Holiday's if they fall on the weekend you get a float day instead of the day before or after.
January 14, 2019

We appreciate the time you took to provide feedback about your work experience at Virginia Mason. Thank you for recognizing the focus we place on our culture to ensure Virginia Mason is one of the best places to work. We are committed to providing our team members with competitive benefits, growth opportunities and continuing education benefits because we value our staff and believe they deserve the best experience we can offer. Thanks again for taking time to share your experience.

Medical Technologist ASCP (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 7, 2019
I enjoy working at Virginia Mason, they follow the Toyota management process and procedures. The financial compensation is above the average laboratory salary.
Pros
na
Cons
na
January 14, 2019

Thank you for taking time to share your comments about working at Virginia Mason. We appreciate you highlighting our competitive compensation, and commitment to using the Virginia Mason Production System (Toyota Management process) for all of the improvement work we do here. Thank you for sharing your feedback, we appreciate the work you to for our patients.

VM: Great Overall Culture
RN, CCU (Former Employee) –  King County, WAJanuary 6, 2019
Coworkers probably the best part of coming to work every shift. Met a lot of great people. HR/hiring staff apparently does a great job. If culture and community are big factors to applying somewhere, I would recommend VM.
Pros
quality staff
January 7, 2019

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback regarding your work at Virginia Mason. You mentioned our focus on culture, we are happy to hear about the great relationships you formed with your co-workers. Having great co-workers around you is important, and we work hard to hire, develop and celebrate the best people. Thanks again for sharing your experience, and best wishes in your future endeavors.

Love my team
Assistant Nurse Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 30, 2018
Love my unit and the people I work with.
We have a great culture of teamwork and collaboration.
We have fun at work.
We support each other.
We come to work happy.
January 7, 2019

We appreciate the time you took to share your feedback about working at Virginia Mason. Thank you for highlighting our culture and teamwork. Having great co-workers around you is important, and we work hard to be the best place our team members have ever worked. Thanks again for sharing your experience, and keep up the great work.

Professional and Team-Oriented
Physician Assistant Head & Neck Surgical Oncology (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA 98101November 21, 2018
Virginia Mason provided me a team of professionals that worked to provide great care to patients as well as provide a collaborative work environment. My job included high volume and high acuity patients and I stayed because of the personal support I felt as part of the ENT service.
Pros
good benefits and fair pay
Cons
parking
November 27, 2018

Thank you for taking time to share your comments about working at Virginia Mason. We are glad to hear about how you worked with a great team of professionals. Having great co-workers around you is important and we work hard to hire, develop, and celebrate the best people. Thanks for taking time to share your experience.

Supportive Managment
CNA/Patient Flow Coordinator/Cardiac Monitor Tech (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 19, 2018
The managers I encountered were very supportive whether it was time off for medical conditions or wanting to expand your skills set in order to work for a promotion. I would especially recommend working in the Critical Care. It is a wonderful environment
November 27, 2018

We appreciate the time you took to share your comments about your work experience at Virginia Mason. Thank you for recognizing our supportive managers and wonderful work environment. We are fortunate to have amazing leaders who are committed to our core values and the success of our team members. We wish you all the best, and thanks again for sharing your experience.

Excellent place to work
Central Processing Technician, Per Diem (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 9, 2018
I enjoyed the diverse cultural here. The production line process involved in the main lab was very efficient. Teamwork was strongly encourage, enjoyable and very effective.
November 14, 2018

We appreciate the time you took to share your work experience at Virginia Mason. Thank you for highlighting our efficient processes and strong team work. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your experience. We work hard to be the best place our team members have ever worked. Best wishes on your future endeavors.

Was a great place to work.
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 7, 2018
While learning the Toyota Production System was necessary to start eliminating waste and standardizing procedures, too much $ was spent sending folks to Japan. It became the main focus and they lost the compassion for the employees.
Pros
Everyone knew everyone
Cons
The "No Lay-off Policy" was broken.
Dedicated to the mission
Radiology Equipment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 7, 2018
Virginia Mason was a good place to work. They are focused on taking care of their patients and are constantly improving access to care and wait times.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No company matching 401k
November 14, 2018

We appreciate the time you took to share your comments on your work experience at Virginia Mason. Thank you for acknowledging our focus on taking care of our patients, improving access to care and wait times. We are dedicated to our core values, mission and commitment to putting our patients at the center of everything we do. Thanks for sharing your feedback, and we appreciate the care you provide to our patients.

I Loved Working at VMMC
Software Analyst Programmer III (Former Employee) –  Mason, VANovember 1, 2018
I started my real world work at VMMC and had a great manager and a good team. I loved living in Seattle and learnt a great deal in a short period of time. I learnt new technical, professional, interpersonal and clinical skills and it was overall a memorable and immensely enriching experience to work for VMMC.
Pros
All pros
Cons
No cons
November 9, 2018

Thank you for taking time to share your comments about working at Virginia Mason. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your time at Virginia Mason. Having a great manger and co-workers around you is important, and we work hard to hire, develop, and celebrate the best people. We appreciate you sharing your work experience with us.

Radiology records
Records Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 11, 2018
Provided excellent customer service to the radiology department.
Maintained patient incoming and outgoing records delivered and retrieved records on campus from clinics and emergency. Communicated with patients, physicians, clinics, and other professional facilities. Hung films to be read and then filed away in patient’s file, located lost films and files, answered phones, filing, and data entry.
October 15, 2018

Thank you for taking time to provide your feedback about your work experience at Virginia Mason. We appreciate the excellent customer service you provided to our patients and your team members. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Run away
Director (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 10, 2018
Great patient care. Very poor employee care. Salaries are above average for the area, which makes up for the soul sucking organization you’ll be working for.
October 24, 2018

We appreciate you for taking time to provide feedback about your work experience at Virginia Mason. Thank you for acknowledging our commitment to excellent patient care, and rewarding our staff with above average salaries.

I would like to address the additional comment you made about our organization. Virginia Mason is an organization that is driven by its commitment to our mission, core values, innovation and relentless pursuit of providing the highest quality outcomes of care for the patients we serve. Our culture isn’t right for everyone. Your comment reflects a strong dissatisfaction for your work which can certainly have an effect on those you work with which isn’t fair to you, your peers or your team. We encourage you to reach out to your HR Business Partner or to myself so we can discuss this matter and explore a transition plan out of your role into one that is a better fit. I am available to discuss this with you at any time. – Ian Johnson, Director of Talent Management

good company
staff RN at internal medicine clinic (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood, WASeptember 28, 2018
Virginia Mason Medical Center strives to provide excellent care for it's patients. It has a central hospital in downtown Seattle and outlying outpatient clinics in the surrounding cities and suburbs.
October 1, 2018

We appreciate you taking time to provide feedback about your work experience at Virginia Mason. Thank you for recognizing our commitment to providing excellent care for our patients. Virginia Mason works hard to create a culture where we provide remarkable experiences for our patients and team members helping them succeed in their jobs and making sure our patients get the best care possible. We wish you the best in your career.

Excellent work culture and environment
Patient Relations Administrator (Current Employee) –  Mason, VASeptember 20, 2018
I would highly recommend working in this hospital for anyone looking for excellence in clinical care while working in a fun and supportive environment!
October 1, 2018

Thank you for taking time to provide your feedback about working at Virginia Mason. We are glad to hear you describe our culture as fun and supportive. We work hard to make Virginia Mason the place to work in Seattle, and believe our culture and environment are world-class. Thank you for sharing your feedback, we appreciate the care you provide to our patients

What I learned
INTERVENTIONAL RADIOLOGY NURSE (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 10, 2018
I was new to interventional radiology but was not new to ICU skills and was able to adapt my nursing skills fairly rapidly, the staff there was great.
Pros
You get to learn something new every day, and get to see the cutting edge of medicine, with all the new procedures that can be done in IR instead of invasive surgery.
Cons
You get put on call alot, so sometimes you work all day and all night, then all day again, it can be draining.
September 17, 2018

We appreciate you taking time to share your comments. Thank you for recognizing our commitment to new, cutting edge medical procedures. We work hard to make Virginia Mason the place to work and receive care in Seattle, and believe our innovative culture and environment are a testament to that commitment. Regarding your concern about the on call schedule, we will share your feedback to the department. Thank you again for taking time to share your experience.

13 week assignment for Club Staffing
Clinical Nuclear Medicine Technologist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 6, 2018
Learned a lot in my time here. Very comfortable place to work. Ability to work on multiple cameras, including helping with some research that was going on while here.
September 7, 2018

We appreciate the time you took to share the feedback on your work experience at Virginia Mason. Thank you for recognizing the our work environment. We work hard to create a culture where we provide remarkable experiences for team members where they feel valued and empowered in their jobs to succeed and grow.

Decent place to work.
Medical Laboratory Scientist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 27, 2018
Overall, VM pays better than a lot of hospitals in the area. There isn't very strong management and problems tend to not really get solved, but in general it can be a not too stressful place to work. Not a lot of opportunity for promotion or career development. At most, you can learn so new benches.
September 7, 2018

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback regarding your work experience at Virginia Mason. At Virginia Mason we work hard to provide our staff with competitive compensation along with career growth opportunities such as our new Medical Assistant Apprenticeship program. We believe it’s important that our team members feel empowered to succeed and grow. Thanks for sharing your comments, we will share them with our leadership team.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Virginia Mason Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

4.0Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Virginia Mason Medical Center Reviews by Location