Virginia Mason Medical Center Employee Reviews

Featured review
Virginia Mason Medical Center selected this as a representative review
excellent place to work
Registered nurse (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 10, 2018
Virginia Mason prides itself in providing excellent care and invests in their employees to obtain this goal. I have had many jobs in my 35 years of nursing, and hands down, VM rates high above any other employer.
Radiology records
Records Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 11, 2018
Provided excellent customer service to the radiology department.
Maintained patient incoming and outgoing records delivered and retrieved records on campus from clinics and emergency. Communicated with patients, physicians, clinics, and other professional facilities. Hung films to be read and then filed away in patient’s file, located lost films and files, answered phones, filing, and data entry.
October 15, 2018

Thank you for taking time to provide your feedback about your work experience at Virginia Mason. We appreciate the excellent customer service you provided to our patients and your team members. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Run away
Director (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 10, 2018
Great patient care. Very poor employee care. Salaries are above average for the area, which makes up for the soul sucking organization you’ll be working for.
good company
staff RN at internal medicine clinic (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood, WASeptember 28, 2018
Virginia Mason Medical Center strives to provide excellent care for it's patients. It has a central hospital in downtown Seattle and outlying outpatient clinics in the surrounding cities and suburbs.
October 1, 2018

We appreciate you taking time to provide feedback about your work experience at Virginia Mason. Thank you for recognizing our commitment to providing excellent care for our patients. Virginia Mason works hard to create a culture where we provide remarkable experiences for our patients and team members helping them succeed in their jobs and making sure our patients get the best care possible. We wish you the best in your career.

Excellent work culture and environment
Patient Relations Administrator (Current Employee) –  Mason, VASeptember 20, 2018
I would highly recommend working in this hospital for anyone looking for excellence in clinical care while working in a fun and supportive environment!
October 1, 2018

Thank you for taking time to provide your feedback about working at Virginia Mason. We are glad to hear you describe our culture as fun and supportive. We work hard to make Virginia Mason the place to work in Seattle, and believe our culture and environment are world-class. Thank you for sharing your feedback, we appreciate the care you provide to our patients

What I learned
INTERVENTIONAL RADIOLOGY NURSE (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 10, 2018
I was new to interventional radiology but was not new to ICU skills and was able to adapt my nursing skills fairly rapidly, the staff there was great.
Pros
You get to learn something new every day, and get to see the cutting edge of medicine, with all the new procedures that can be done in IR instead of invasive surgery.
Cons
You get put on call alot, so sometimes you work all day and all night, then all day again, it can be draining.
September 17, 2018

We appreciate you taking time to share your comments. Thank you for recognizing our commitment to new, cutting edge medical procedures. We work hard to make Virginia Mason the place to work and receive care in Seattle, and believe our innovative culture and environment are a testament to that commitment. Regarding your concern about the on call schedule, we will share your feedback to the department. Thank you again for taking time to share your experience.

13 week assignment for Club Staffing
Clinical Nuclear Medicine Technologist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 6, 2018
Learned a lot in my time here. Very comfortable place to work. Ability to work on multiple cameras, including helping with some research that was going on while here.
September 7, 2018

We appreciate the time you took to share the feedback on your work experience at Virginia Mason. Thank you for recognizing the our work environment. We work hard to create a culture where we provide remarkable experiences for team members where they feel valued and empowered in their jobs to succeed and grow.

Decent place to work.
Medical Laboratory Scientist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 27, 2018
Overall, VM pays better than a lot of hospitals in the area. There isn't very strong management and problems tend to not really get solved, but in general it can be a not too stressful place to work. Not a lot of opportunity for promotion or career development. At most, you can learn so new benches.
September 7, 2018

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback regarding your work experience at Virginia Mason. At Virginia Mason we work hard to provide our staff with competitive compensation along with career growth opportunities such as our new Medical Assistant Apprenticeship program. We believe it’s important that our team members feel empowered to succeed and grow. Thanks for sharing your comments, we will share them with our leadership team.

Virginia Mason runs is too lean
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood, WAAugust 23, 2018
Virginia Mason runs on a lean policy which means everything is run on the bare minimum. This includes staffing. They are constantly understaffed in all areas. This adds a lot of stress to everyone.
August 24, 2018

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your work experience at Virginia Mason. Respect for People is at the core of who we are at Virginia Mason, and we work hard to make sure our employee experience is the best possible, so it is disappointing to hear about the issues you experienced. We would like to clarify that lean does not equal less, it means having the right amount when needed. We are committed to closing the gap and have made some significant strides and investments over past several months including training and apprentice programs. Thank you for taking time to share your feedback, we will share your comments with our leadership team. We wish you all the best and hope you will consider exploring opportunities with us in the future.

Good Benefits, Non productive and dysfunctional culture
Patient Access Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bothell, WAAugust 8, 2018
Worked at the call center for over 5 years. Very unorganized and they seem to operate by the seat of their pants. Communication is poor. Processes change frequently and no communication or training provided to team. Leadership does not work to fix problems, they are mostly admins working on tasks that do not pertain to our job and helping us. Extremely stressful and causes a lot of anxiety , especially when their is very little support to the call center team.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else.
August 13, 2018

We appreciate the time you took to share the feedback on your work experience at Virginia Mason. Thank you for recognizing the outstanding benefits we offer to our staff. Our employee-focused approach drives us to offer great benefits and support to our team members. We work hard to regularly seek feedback from employees, so it's disappointing to hear about your work experience. At Virginia Mason you will find that continuous improvement and growth are our guiding principles. Our focus on improvement means we take all feedback seriously. We will use this information to improve going forward, and will make sure to share your feedback with our leadership team.

A wonderful place to work!
REGISTERED NURSE/PROGRESSIVE CARE UNIT (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 23, 2018
I enjoyed my time at VM. Great culture, amazing staff, and wonderful management. I would have stayed long term but I relocated. Thank you for the experience!
July 30, 2018

We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments. Thank you for recognizing our great culture, amazing staff and the committed leaders we have here at Virginia Mason. We work hard to make Virginia Mason THE place to work in Seattle, and believe our culture and environment set us apart. We wish you the best of luck in your career journey.

Great place for growing nurses
Outpatient Infusion Charge RN, MN, OCN (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WAJuly 19, 2018
Virginia Mason was a great organization that allowed for work/school/life balance and flexible hours. I was able to conduct my MSN project at the Benaroya Research Center and produced a great fieldwork paper on my experience.
July 23, 2018

Thank you taking the time to post this review about your work experience at Virginia Mason. We agree that it is important to provide a good work/life/school balance, our employee-focused approach drives us to offer a supportive environment where our team members can succeed and grow. We are thrilled to hear that you were able to produce a great fieldwork paper on your experience. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback.

Patient Account Specialist / Full Time (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 16, 2018
Great company with excellent work ethics. Management is helpful and always gives positive feed back. The Company itself holds itself to high standards and follows the motto and ethics of Toyota.
Pros
Company ethics
Cons
employee parking.
July 23, 2018

We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback about your work experience at Virginia Mason. Thank you for recognizing our great organization, excellent work ethics and the high standard to which we hold ourselves. Virginia Mason strives to create an environment where everyone feels respected and valued. Thanks again for sharing your experience and keep up the great work!

Fast Paced Busy.
Surgery Scheduler/Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mason, VAMay 31, 2018
Fast paced. A bit under staffed so the days are long and hard. But overall they have a good benefits. There are a lot of great people a Virginia Mason and they work to provide great care for the patients.
June 4, 2018

We appreciate you taking time to post this review. Thank you for highlighting our commitment to our patients. We are fortunate to have an amazing team who are committed to putting our patients at the center of everything they do. We appreciate hearing about how we can improve and will share that information with our leaders, so thank you for sharing your feedback.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 29, 2018
I have loved working at VM and will miss it. They are a great company to work for and care about their Nurses. I hope to find a home like I have at VM at another hospital in AZ.
June 4, 2018

We appreciate you sharing your work experience at Virginia Mason. Thank you for acknowledging our focus on our team members. We value and believe they deserve the best experience we can offer. We wish you all the best in Arizona.

Structured
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 21, 2018
This position offered continuous structure and camaraderie with the my working peers. Allowed each of us to take control of our work areas and manage them according to the VM policies. Patients first was a motto that we all lived by.
Pros
Patients first and amazing knowledge shared.
Cons
Not much room for advancement
May 24, 2018

We appreciate you sharing your work experience at Virginia Mason. Thank you for highlighting our commitment to our patients and staff. We have worked hard to create a culture where we provide remarkable experiences for our patients and team members whereby our team members feel valued and feel empowered in their jobs to succeed and grow. We are disappointed you felt there was not much room for advancement, and we will share your feedback with our HR, Pharmacy and Operations leadership teams. We wish you the best in the future.

lot of great employee to work with
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 18, 2018
it can sometime can be very hard place to work for. But the poeple are fun to work with. But the workplace culture there is just little trust there and I don't fill that Igoing to get that opportunity to get promoted here I beleave the hardest part of working here is to get employee to trust in the management..
Pros
the people you with
Cons
No parking
May 9, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. We’re glad to hear you find your team fun to work with – having great co-workers around you is important, and we work hard to hire, develop, and celebrate the best people. We’re sorry that your culture experience isn’t meeting your expectations. We hope that you’ll reach out to your Human Resources Business Partner so we can hear more about your concerns and work through them together. Respect for people is at the core of who we are at Virginia Mason, and we’ll keep doing our best to improve the employee experience.

Lean Culture
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 15, 2018
VM was my first introduction to the LEAN culture and it has transformed my life. The culture at VM is unparallel to any other healthcare organization I have experienced.
April 16, 2018

We appreciate you taking time to write a review of your work experience. We're happy to hear how much you valued the introduction to the Virginia Mason Production System and, how you found our culture to be unparalleled to any other. Thank you for sharing your feedback.

Understaffed/Constantly On-Call
Emergency Department Admitting Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 15, 2018
The admitting department is understaffed, leading to many hours just trying to find coverage to work in the ED, which is a 24/7 department. The company is very focused on reducing costs which means that there is no room for employee recognition.
Pros
Nice Manager
Cons
Very tight budget with no room for employee recognition.
April 16, 2018

Thank you for providing feedback about your work experience at Virginia Mason. We’re sorry that it didn’t measure up to our shared expectations. We value our team members and strive to create an environment where everyone feels respected and their contributions valued and recognized. We do appreciate hearing from you and will share your comments with the appropriate leaders within Virginia Mason.

Awful
Member of Orthopedic and Neurosurgical Team (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 3, 2018
Person stood outside OR with stopwatch and clipboard and timed turnovers. CS is a building and 3 floors away. Expect a delay for any instrument request if the person answering the phone actually understands the request
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
everything else
April 10, 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your work experience with us, and we are sorry you feel this way. While we can't change your experience, we will make sure to share this information with our leadership team. We wish you the best in your career pursuits.”

Good Place to Work
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 9, 2018
I enjoyed my time with VM. However, it is hard to live on $19/hour in a city that is one of the most expensive in the USA. I only wish to relocate to a place that is more affordable to for me. Nothing against VM, just wish it was in a more affordable city.
Pros
Good people to work with, good company to work for
Cons
Erratic staffing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Virginia Mason Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

84out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Virginia Mason Medical Center.

Powered by Comparably