Virginia Mason Medical Center
68Average

Virginia Mason Medical Center Employee Reviews

United States186 reviews
Admin experience is vastly worse than clinical
Most all of the administrative leadership is homogeneous. Information regarding health and safety is distributed to employees at a glacial pace, while upper admin will speak at length about profits and loss without any effort to positively motivate staff at all.
VM is by far the most profit hungry "non-profit" I've ever encountered.

Despite organizational dogma surrounding process improvement, high performers are seldom recognized. Favoritism is abundant and many employees are kept on beyond reasonable cause for termination.
May 21, 2020
Thanks for the review, sorry this didn’t meet our shared expectations but we appreciate the specific feedback and will share it with leadership to see where we can keep getting better.
great hospital to work for
I worked at VM for about a year and I truly enjoyed it. The staff/overall workplace environment was very positive, friendly, and supportive.
May 18, 2020
We’re delighted you had such a great experience working at Virginia Mason, and we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments. We strive to create an environment where everyone feels respected and their contributions valued, so we’re happy to hear you worked with positive, friendly and supportive colleagues and leaders. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors – and hope we can welcome you back to our team someday!
Challenging Organization
Business is a priority over staff. Unlikely you can advance unless you know someone. Constructive criticism welcome (not really). Profoundly (!) top heavy. Middle management very difficult to work with in most but not all cases. You will not be paid what you are worth. You can go two blocks over and get paid more. Good things: executive leadership and physician leadership are very approachable.
May 5, 2020
Thanks for sharing your feedback about working at Virginia Mason. We appreciate you recognizing our executive and physician leadership, we're fortunate to have amazing leaders who are committed to our core values and the success and advancement of our team members. We value the constructive feedback you provided, and if you would like to discuss your thoughts and improvement ideas in further detail we encourage you to contact your Human Resources Business Partner. We're thankful you took the time to share your thoughts here and will share your comments with the appropriate leaders, as we're always looking for ways to reflect and improve.
Rudderless leadership
VM needs to be reorganized and given direction. The business is failing. There is no vision of the business side of the health system. It is avoidable but they are not interested in changing.
May 5, 2020
Thank you for posting the review. We appreciate your constructive feedback and we have shared your comments with the appropriate leaders. We are saddened to hear your perception that the business is failing and there is no vision. We continue to focus on providing top quality care and the best experience for our patients and their families as well as our team members. If you are willing to provide additional thoughts and ideas, we encourage you to reach out to your HR Business Partner. We are always willing to listen and consider ideas for improvement. Thanks for taking time to share your comments.
Great hospital to work for
Virginia Mason Is a very good place to work and I enjoy my job and the people I work with.I have learned from management as well has my co-workers. Virginia Mason truly cares about the community and their patients.
Pros
Nice co- workers and medical staff
May 5, 2020
Thank you for providing feedback on your work experience at Virginia Mason. We are glad to hear you enjoy your job and the people you work with. Having great co-workers around you is important, and we work hard to hire, develop, and celebrate the best people. We also appreciate you recognizing how we truly care about our patients and the community we serve. Thanks for your feedback and keep up the great work!
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Great Benefits and retirement plan
No Longer Happy in this Company and feel i have went as far as i am ever going to go. They have not in my opinion been handling the Covid 19 response well and the relationships with their staff have suffered greatly because of it.
May 5, 2020
Thanks for taking time to share your comments. We're sorry your experience isn't meeting our shared expectations. We strive to provide not only positive experiences for our patients, but for our team members too. If you would like to discuss your thoughts and ideas in further detail we encourage you to contact your Human Resources Business Partner. We will make sure to share your comments with our leadership team. Thanks again for sharing the feedback.
Its a much better medical facility to work for then some of the others out there. The managers are respectful and the doctors are awesome to work with.
Strong focus on Patient Care and Quality
Virginia Mason Medical Center provides excellent care with a focus on the patient and quality. I would prefer to go there than to any other medical center in the area for care because of their extremely high standards. I worked at the other medical centers, too, and the caliber of care I experienced at Virginia Mason was head and shoulders above the quality I experienced elsewhere. Employees, however, can feel overlooked when it comes to how important (or not) they are made to feel. There was a great deal of favoritism towards certain employees. I received no support from my managers (I had three) over several years. That hindered my ability to succeed. I could have been far more successful with even the smallest amount of support. I felt neglected as an employee and on my own, as if I were invisible.

Reviews were missed completely or given late. I never ever received a single positive comment from a manager (a VP, yes, but not from a manager). I had to find my own (physical) place to work and bargain with others to share their office space. As a result, I always felt like an interloper – if I was doing work on the phone and couldn’t hear because of my officemates, they were quick to let me know the office was “their“ office in one way or another (which in all fairness, was true).

I had no idea where my boss was most of the time and once didn't even know that he had been out of town for 2 weeks. Virginia Mason is a great organization, but can be extremely political. Your manager might cut you off at the knees in a meeting. This happened to me and I saw it happen to others
 - more...
March 9, 2020
We appreciate you taking time to share your feedback. Thanks for recognizing our focus on providing excellent care to our patients along with our commitment to quality. We stay true to our core values, mission and commitment to putting our patients at the center of everything we do. We appreciate your constructive feedback and have shared your post with the appropriate leaders. We wish you all the best.
Workplace culture
You feel like you belong, your co-workers are your second family. Management cares about. The clinic is always clean and organized. I didn’t hate going to work, even though the hours were long and sometimes we were short staff but that’s everywhere. I only left because I moved out of state.
March 9, 2020
Thank you for taking time to share your comments. We are glad to hear that your felt a sense of belonging at Virginia Mason, and that your co-workers and leadership care. We work hard to make Virginia Mason THE place to work in Seattle, and believe our culture and environment are world-class. We wish you all the best and hope you will consider exploring opportunities with us should you return to the area in the future.
Great place to work in Kirkland. Good management and great team members
I loved going to work in Kirkland. The drive was a bit cumbersome for me but I loved working there. Great team members and the management was there for you. People tell me I need to go back. I would definitely go back there to work.
And its fun to see patients that I helped for 10 1/2 years :)
February 18, 2020
We loved that you enjoyed working at our Kirkland Regional Medical Center. Thanks for sharing your experience and for recognizing your great team members and the leadership. Having great co-workers around you is important, and we work hard to hire, develop, and celebrate the best people. Thank you for 10 1/2 years of service, we wish you all the best.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Virginia Mason Medical Center?
Virginia Mason cares about safety
Virginia Mason prioritizes patient safety and good clinical practices. Virginia mason is known for using Kaizen in a Heath care setting and setting the direction for streamlining work and processes to promote safety.
February 5, 2020
We appreciate you taking time to share your comments about working at Virginia Mason. Thanks for recognizing our commitment to patient safety and good clinical practices. We believe this is the core of Virginia Mason being named a one of America's 50 Best Hospitals for the third consecutive year. Thanks for the time you took to share your experience.
Not all dept are bad, i think
This was a tough organization. I've been told things before, to "keep me" but they will tell you anything to keep stringing you along. They do not typically promote from within and trying to change dept can be very tricky due to how short staffed every dept is, constantly.
January 14, 2020
Thanks for taking time to share your comments. We are sorry to hear your experience didn’t meet our shared expectations. We will share your feedback with our leadership team.
NW hospital
This one of the best hospital in the NW I got free Seahawks and Mariners ticket all season long, free flu shots, employee discounts, uniform every year..
December 16, 2019
Thank you for providing your feedback about working at Virginia Mason. We are glad to hear you found our hospital to be one of the best in the Northwest. We work hard to be the best place our team members have ever worked. Thanks again for taking time to share your thoughts.
Amazing!
Working with VMMC I have learned and gained so much knowledge of the job skills, values and qualities that I’ve worked hard and smart towards. Truly appreciate the opportunity given to me!
December 12, 2019
We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments. We are glad to hear about the knowledge and skills you gained while in your position. We value our team members and believe they deserve the best experience we can offer. Thanks again for sharing your feedback, we appreciate the work you did for our patients.
HR allows and covers unethical, at times illegal practices.
Unethical and illegal practices. Will fire or shut you out if they feel you will report the practices and behavior you see. Do NOT trust HR as they will do all they can to harm you and warn you that you can be blacklisted in your healthcare career if you report.

The actual work was enjoyable and compensation was fair and competitive. Some departments are better than others and ethical, but be careful and inquire about turnover in whichever one you're applying too. Protect yourself and remember EEOC is a resource, as HR will not be there for you. At the end of the day you become a liability when you report to them, and they'd rather you leave.
November 25, 2019
We’re sorry to hear your experience wasn’t everything you hoped for, and we wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
I had a lot of pride in my work performance. I worked there for 5 years with no incidents until they decided that they were going to cut back on staff. They offered a severance package but I turned it down as I loved working there. But.... after turning it down all of a sudden I was mixing up charts, and was spoken to each day about my mistakes. Finally they were going to fire me so I quit so I wouldnt lose my saved 209 hrs of vacation. wouldn’t lose my
November 25, 2019
Thank you for providing feedback on your work experience at Virginia Mason. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed working here. We work hard to be the best place our team members have ever worked. We appreciate the care you provided to our patients, and wish you all the best of luck in your future endeavors.
Decent place
I've worked for them and a vendor inside the hospital for a year and its ok, not the best, not the worst. Decent pay if you live outside the city but commute obviously sucks and I'm not a morning person. People are pretty chill, but there tends to be drama but the main source just left for another job. The jobs themselves can get really repetitive but there's four areas in which you get randomly placed throughout the week. Staffing can be an issue depending on the day because 2-3 people will call out almost daily and the staffing is already pretty tight as is. They expect a lot from their employees but don't pay enough to make me care enough when they don't always supply us with the tools to get our jobs done properly. like I said, not the best, not the worst, but the bills are paid.
November 25, 2019
We appreciate you taking time to share your feedback on working at Virginia Mason. We are disappointed to hear about your experience and hope you will reach out to our HR Business Partner so we can hear more about your concerns and work through them together. Thanks again for sharing the feedback as we are always looking for ways to reflect and improve.
Wonderful Hospital!
Reflecting on my time at VM it truly felt like family. It was my first job out of college and I felt very supported in advancing my career and education as I went into nursing school. Wonderful providers. Inpatient management was attentive to staff needs and concerns. The communication during the RN hiring process could be better - wasn’t sure what floor I was interviewing for and took several months to schedule an in-person interview after the phone interview so I started looking into other positions. Ultimately accepted one at a hospital with a specific specialty. Otherwise I have nothing bad to say I am proud to have been a part of this organization and miss my old coworkers!
November 25, 2019
Thank you for taking time to share your comments regarding your work experience. We appreciate you sharing that you enjoyed your time here and felt very supported in your career. We value our team members and believe that they deserve the best experience we can offer. We are sorry to hear about the miscommunication while you were interviewing. We want you to know we appreciate all your contributions to Virginia Mason and will share this feedback with our leadership team. We wish you the best of luck in your new role and hope you will consider exploring opportunities with us in the future.
They really bent over backwards to accommodate me during my illness. They said I can come back when I'm feeling better. They really are a good company to work for.
October 14, 2019
We appreciate the time you took to share your feedback about working at Virginia Mason. We wish you all the best and hope you will consider exploring opportunities with us in the future when you are feeling better.
Good place to start a career
I love Virginia Mason as a whole. I was born here and got my first medical job here. The pay is generally good. The workers are overall great. Though, the pay is always on the low side of the pay scale, no matter your experience prior to being hired or how long you have worked at Virginia Mason for. The management teams generally are inconsistent with authority and enforcing the rules.
October 7, 2019
Thanks for taking time to share your comments. We appreciate you recognizing the great co-workers you have. Having great co-workers around you is important, and we work hard to hire, develop and celebrate the best people. Regarding the concerns you raised about the management teams, we strongly encourage you (and all employees) to talk through your concerns with your HR Business Partner so we can work through them together. We hope to hear from you. Thank you for your feedback, and the care you provide to our patients.
Fun workplace
Working at VM is provides opportunity for health professional to gain experience. The hospital has great facilities and is clean. Its one of the cleaner hospitals I have worked at.
September 30, 2019
We appreciate you taking time to provide your feedback about your work experience at Virginia Mason. We are glad to hear you found our hospital to be a great facility. We strive to ensure our environment is the best place for our team members and patients. Thanks again for sharing your feedback.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Virginia Mason Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
2.9Personal Development
4.0Career Opportunities
2.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight