Virginia Mason Medical Center Employee Reviews

Featured review
Virginia Mason Medical Center selected this as a representative review
excellent place to work
Registered nurse (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 10, 2018
Virginia Mason prides itself in providing excellent care and invests in their employees to obtain this goal. I have had many jobs in my 35 years of nursing, and hands down, VM rates high above any other employer.
Professional and Team-Oriented
Physician Assistant Head & Neck Surgical Oncology (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA 98101November 21, 2018
Virginia Mason provided me a team of professionals that worked to provide great care to patients as well as provide a collaborative work environment. My job included high volume and high acuity patients and I stayed because of the personal support I felt as part of the ENT service.
Pros
good benefits and fair pay
Cons
parking
November 27, 2018

Thank you for taking time to share your comments about working at Virginia Mason. We are glad to hear about how you worked with a great team of professionals. Having great co-workers around you is important and we work hard to hire, develop, and celebrate the best people. Thanks for taking time to share your experience.

Supportive Managment
CNA/Patient Flow Coordinator/Cardiac Monitor Tech (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 19, 2018
The managers I encountered were very supportive whether it was time off for medical conditions or wanting to expand your skills set in order to work for a promotion. I would especially recommend working in the Critical Care. It is a wonderful environment
November 27, 2018

We appreciate the time you took to share your comments about your work experience at Virginia Mason. Thank you for recognizing our supportive managers and wonderful work environment. We are fortunate to have amazing leaders who are committed to our core values and the success of our team members. We wish you all the best, and thanks again for sharing your experience.

Excellent place to work
Central Processing Technician, Per Diem (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 9, 2018
I enjoyed the diverse cultural here. The production line process involved in the main lab was very efficient. Teamwork was strongly encourage, enjoyable and very effective.
November 14, 2018

We appreciate the time you took to share your work experience at Virginia Mason. Thank you for highlighting our efficient processes and strong team work. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your experience. We work hard to be the best place our team members have ever worked. Best wishes on your future endeavors.

Was a great place to work.
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 7, 2018
While learning the Toyota Production System was necessary to start eliminating waste and standardizing procedures, too much $ was spent sending folks to Japan. It became the main focus and they lost the compassion for the employees.
Pros
Everyone knew everyone
Cons
The "No Lay-off Policy" was broken.
Dedicated to the mission
Radiology Equipment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 7, 2018
Virginia Mason was a good place to work. They are focused on taking care of their patients and are constantly improving access to care and wait times.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No company matching 401k
November 14, 2018

We appreciate the time you took to share your comments on your work experience at Virginia Mason. Thank you for acknowledging our focus on taking care of our patients, improving access to care and wait times. We are dedicated to our core values, mission and commitment to putting our patients at the center of everything we do. Thanks for sharing your feedback, and we appreciate the care you provide to our patients.

I Loved Working at VMMC
Software Analyst Programmer III (Former Employee) –  Mason, VANovember 1, 2018
I started my real world work at VMMC and had a great manager and a good team. I loved living in Seattle and learnt a great deal in a short period of time. I learnt new technical, professional, interpersonal and clinical skills and it was overall a memorable and immensely enriching experience to work for VMMC.
Pros
All pros
Cons
No cons
November 9, 2018

Thank you for taking time to share your comments about working at Virginia Mason. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your time at Virginia Mason. Having a great manger and co-workers around you is important, and we work hard to hire, develop, and celebrate the best people. We appreciate you sharing your work experience with us.

Radiology records
Records Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 11, 2018
Provided excellent customer service to the radiology department.
Maintained patient incoming and outgoing records delivered and retrieved records on campus from clinics and emergency. Communicated with patients, physicians, clinics, and other professional facilities. Hung films to be read and then filed away in patient’s file, located lost films and files, answered phones, filing, and data entry.
October 15, 2018

Thank you for taking time to provide your feedback about your work experience at Virginia Mason. We appreciate the excellent customer service you provided to our patients and your team members. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Run away
Director (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 10, 2018
Great patient care. Very poor employee care. Salaries are above average for the area, which makes up for the soul sucking organization you’ll be working for.
October 24, 2018

We appreciate you for taking time to provide feedback about your work experience at Virginia Mason. Thank you for acknowledging our commitment to excellent patient care, and rewarding our staff with above average salaries.

I would like to address the additional comment you made about our organization. Virginia Mason is an organization that is driven by its commitment to our mission, core values, innovation and relentless pursuit of providing the highest quality outcomes of care for the patients we serve. Our culture isn’t right for everyone. Your comment reflects a strong dissatisfaction for your work which can certainly have an effect on those you work with which isn’t fair to you, your peers or your team. We encourage you to reach out to your HR Business Partner or to myself so we can discuss this matter and explore a transition plan out of your role into one that is a better fit. I am available to discuss this with you at any time. – Ian Johnson, Director of Talent Management

good company
staff RN at internal medicine clinic (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood, WASeptember 28, 2018
Virginia Mason Medical Center strives to provide excellent care for it's patients. It has a central hospital in downtown Seattle and outlying outpatient clinics in the surrounding cities and suburbs.
October 1, 2018

We appreciate you taking time to provide feedback about your work experience at Virginia Mason. Thank you for recognizing our commitment to providing excellent care for our patients. Virginia Mason works hard to create a culture where we provide remarkable experiences for our patients and team members helping them succeed in their jobs and making sure our patients get the best care possible. We wish you the best in your career.

Excellent work culture and environment
Patient Relations Administrator (Current Employee) –  Mason, VASeptember 20, 2018
I would highly recommend working in this hospital for anyone looking for excellence in clinical care while working in a fun and supportive environment!
October 1, 2018

Thank you for taking time to provide your feedback about working at Virginia Mason. We are glad to hear you describe our culture as fun and supportive. We work hard to make Virginia Mason the place to work in Seattle, and believe our culture and environment are world-class. Thank you for sharing your feedback, we appreciate the care you provide to our patients

What I learned
INTERVENTIONAL RADIOLOGY NURSE (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 10, 2018
I was new to interventional radiology but was not new to ICU skills and was able to adapt my nursing skills fairly rapidly, the staff there was great.
Pros
You get to learn something new every day, and get to see the cutting edge of medicine, with all the new procedures that can be done in IR instead of invasive surgery.
Cons
You get put on call alot, so sometimes you work all day and all night, then all day again, it can be draining.
September 17, 2018

We appreciate you taking time to share your comments. Thank you for recognizing our commitment to new, cutting edge medical procedures. We work hard to make Virginia Mason the place to work and receive care in Seattle, and believe our innovative culture and environment are a testament to that commitment. Regarding your concern about the on call schedule, we will share your feedback to the department. Thank you again for taking time to share your experience.

13 week assignment for Club Staffing
Clinical Nuclear Medicine Technologist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 6, 2018
Learned a lot in my time here. Very comfortable place to work. Ability to work on multiple cameras, including helping with some research that was going on while here.
September 7, 2018

We appreciate the time you took to share the feedback on your work experience at Virginia Mason. Thank you for recognizing the our work environment. We work hard to create a culture where we provide remarkable experiences for team members where they feel valued and empowered in their jobs to succeed and grow.

Decent place to work.
Medical Laboratory Scientist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 27, 2018
Overall, VM pays better than a lot of hospitals in the area. There isn't very strong management and problems tend to not really get solved, but in general it can be a not too stressful place to work. Not a lot of opportunity for promotion or career development. At most, you can learn so new benches.
September 7, 2018

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback regarding your work experience at Virginia Mason. At Virginia Mason we work hard to provide our staff with competitive compensation along with career growth opportunities such as our new Medical Assistant Apprenticeship program. We believe it’s important that our team members feel empowered to succeed and grow. Thanks for sharing your comments, we will share them with our leadership team.

Virginia Mason runs is too lean
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood, WAAugust 23, 2018
Virginia Mason runs on a lean policy which means everything is run on the bare minimum. This includes staffing. They are constantly understaffed in all areas. This adds a lot of stress to everyone.
August 24, 2018

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your work experience at Virginia Mason. Respect for People is at the core of who we are at Virginia Mason, and we work hard to make sure our employee experience is the best possible, so it is disappointing to hear about the issues you experienced. We would like to clarify that lean does not equal less, it means having the right amount when needed. We are committed to closing the gap and have made some significant strides and investments over past several months including training and apprentice programs. Thank you for taking time to share your feedback, we will share your comments with our leadership team. We wish you all the best and hope you will consider exploring opportunities with us in the future.

Good Benefits, Non productive and dysfunctional culture
Patient Access Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bothell, WAAugust 8, 2018
Worked at the call center for over 5 years. Very unorganized and they seem to operate by the seat of their pants. Communication is poor. Processes change frequently and no communication or training provided to team. Leadership does not work to fix problems, they are mostly admins working on tasks that do not pertain to our job and helping us. Extremely stressful and causes a lot of anxiety , especially when their is very little support to the call center team.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else.
August 13, 2018

We appreciate the time you took to share the feedback on your work experience at Virginia Mason. Thank you for recognizing the outstanding benefits we offer to our staff. Our employee-focused approach drives us to offer great benefits and support to our team members. We work hard to regularly seek feedback from employees, so it's disappointing to hear about your work experience. At Virginia Mason you will find that continuous improvement and growth are our guiding principles. Our focus on improvement means we take all feedback seriously. We will use this information to improve going forward, and will make sure to share your feedback with our leadership team.

A wonderful place to work!
REGISTERED NURSE/PROGRESSIVE CARE UNIT (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 23, 2018
I enjoyed my time at VM. Great culture, amazing staff, and wonderful management. I would have stayed long term but I relocated. Thank you for the experience!
July 30, 2018

We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments. Thank you for recognizing our great culture, amazing staff and the committed leaders we have here at Virginia Mason. We work hard to make Virginia Mason THE place to work in Seattle, and believe our culture and environment set us apart. We wish you the best of luck in your career journey.

Great place for growing nurses
Outpatient Infusion Charge RN, MN, OCN (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WAJuly 19, 2018
Virginia Mason was a great organization that allowed for work/school/life balance and flexible hours. I was able to conduct my MSN project at the Benaroya Research Center and produced a great fieldwork paper on my experience.
July 23, 2018

Thank you taking the time to post this review about your work experience at Virginia Mason. We agree that it is important to provide a good work/life/school balance, our employee-focused approach drives us to offer a supportive environment where our team members can succeed and grow. We are thrilled to hear that you were able to produce a great fieldwork paper on your experience. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback.

Patient Account Specialist / Full Time (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 16, 2018
Great company with excellent work ethics. Management is helpful and always gives positive feed back. The Company itself holds itself to high standards and follows the motto and ethics of Toyota.
Pros
Company ethics
Cons
employee parking.
July 23, 2018

We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback about your work experience at Virginia Mason. Thank you for recognizing our great organization, excellent work ethics and the high standard to which we hold ourselves. Virginia Mason strives to create an environment where everyone feels respected and valued. Thanks again for sharing your experience and keep up the great work!

Fast Paced Busy.
Surgery Scheduler/Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mason, VAMay 31, 2018
Fast paced. A bit under staffed so the days are long and hard. But overall they have a good benefits. There are a lot of great people a Virginia Mason and they work to provide great care for the patients.
June 4, 2018

We appreciate you taking time to post this review. Thank you for highlighting our commitment to our patients. We are fortunate to have an amazing team who are committed to putting our patients at the center of everything they do. We appreciate hearing about how we can improve and will share that information with our leaders, so thank you for sharing your feedback.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 29, 2018
I have loved working at VM and will miss it. They are a great company to work for and care about their Nurses. I hope to find a home like I have at VM at another hospital in AZ.
June 4, 2018

We appreciate you sharing your work experience at Virginia Mason. Thank you for acknowledging our focus on our team members. We value and believe they deserve the best experience we can offer. We wish you all the best in Arizona.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Virginia Mason Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Virginia Mason Medical Center.

Powered by Comparably