Virginia Mason
Happiness rating is 66 out of 100

Virginia Mason Employee Reviews

Featured review
Virginia Mason selected this as a representative review
Virginia Mason prides itself in providing excellent care and invests in their employees to obtain this goal. I have had many jobs in my 35 years of nursing, and hands down, VM rates high above any other employer.
April 16, 2018
Thank you taking time to write a review of your work experience at Virginia Mason and we are happy to hear you found the emphasis we place on providing excellent care to patients and to our staff to be a positive driving force of our culture. We appreciate your feedback.
Good overall but being short staffed has been an issue lately. Some good staff, some not. No employee parking, and not many respite areas with covid. Do not feel like my voice is heard or I am compensated well
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Parking, pay, staffing
My experience was very positive. I was told from the beginning that VM gave the Nordstrom touch (comparison to the awesome store) to patients and employees. It was true. I was there 9 years and then returned to school. I felt respected in how I was spoken to and trained. It was understood that we had to be committed to the best in customer service, and you saw that from people in all roles, including how managers treated staff under them.
Pros
Careful training and clear expectations
Cons
Gettimg time off, but that is normal.
Good place to work with good people. Some of the people were very nice, there were others who were really really nice. The cafeteria needs more healthy food
Patient care service was awesome and I loved being part of such company that values patient care/safety. The company offered great resources and I always felt supported while working here. Still one of my favorite hospital to work at.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
The team work is pretty good, most co-workers helpful. There's absolutely NO work/life balance...the manager doing the schedule is incompetent, can't even keep track of the travelers and when their contracts expire. Refuses to approve days off until right before the time. Most of the surgeons are fantastic and very patient considering they move the supplies ALL THE TIME. 1 of the worst OR's I've ever worked at.
Pros
Co-workers, decent money
Cons
No work/life balance, lousy schedule, managers are terrible
March 11, 2021
Thank you for sharing your review on Virginia Mason. We appreciate you recognizing our team work and your helpful coworkers. Having great co-workers around you is important, and we work hard to hire, develop, and celebrate the best people. We're sorry to hear your experience isn't meeting our shared expectations. It is important to have a good work/life balance and work schedule. We want you to know we appreciate your contributions and will share this information with department leadership. As an employee we encourage you (and all employees) to talk through your concerns and constructive feedback about management with your HR Business Partner so we can work through them together. We hope to hear from you.
Great colleagues. Multiple ambulatory surgical centers to choose from. Benefits are OK. Patient centered. Not much room for growing. Salary lower than expected.
Pros
Multiple locations
Cons
Benefits and salary
March 11, 2021
We appreciate you sharing your feedback here. Thank you recognizing your great coworkers, our patient centered care and comprehensive benefits package. We value our team members and believe that they deserve the best experience we can offer. We also appreciate you sharing constructive feedback about salary and personal growth. We continually work to make sure our staff is provided with competitive compensation and have tools to empower them to succeed and grow. Thank you for sharing your feedback, we appreciate the care you provided to our patients.
Things have changed since merging with CHI. They don't give nurses extra support they need. Can a 40 year Vet out the door. They will work you to the bone and not think twice to ask you to do more.
March 11, 2021
Thank you for sharing your feedback. Virginia Mason is incredibly proud of all its employees and works hard to ensure they have the support and resources they need to deliver quality patient care and serve our community needs. We appreciate hearing your thoughts on how we can improve. To address the concerns you raised about staffing, Virginia Mason constantly assesses work levels to make sure we have the appropriate staffing levels. Thank you for taking time to share your comments, we appreciate all you do for our patients.
Patient services are fantastic in regional medical centers. The Seattle campus is rougher, little less polite and tends to rush through things more often. Workplace culture depends on the group and the manager, "leaders" are used instead of managers or supervisors. Thou hardly anyone had leadership materials, mostly micromanagers and some understanding supervisors. Organizational communications tends to be condescending rather than genuine. Internal communications can be a hit and miss since there is no central mechanism to rate these manager's performance. A bad manager can turn away a lot of talents, resulting with overwhelm staff turnovers, and administration would not reflect on the bad manager since they are trying to be "nice". They attract talents with high salary range, but you ended up paying a much higher cost for your healthcare benefits. So one would ended up with a large chunk of your salary subtracted to pay your own health coverage (no logic in that). PTO or sick leave are VERY stingy, worklife balance is again hit and miss (highly depending on your mircomanager). People are constantly asked to volunteer their time and effort. Not a very organized place, seems like they are stuck in the oldschool way of doing things, operating in a very hierarchial system with old technologies. With them stealing the Toyota Production System idea, it is good for patients but extremely bad for the workers. You are constantly stressed out for supplies during pre-COVID times, and extreme demands during covid made it worst. Lots of departments closed down for months and people lost - more...
Pros
Good patient services
Cons
Low PTO, sick days, high out of pocket healthcare benefits, poor working conditions, old building, fell really behind in technologies, fake sincerity from executives
February 23, 2021
Thank you for sharing your review here. We appreciate you highlighting the fantastic patient services Virginia Mason provides. We believe our priority to provide quality patient care is one of the keys to our success. Staying true to our core values, mission and commitment to putting our patients at the center of everything we do drives us to deliver the best patient care to our community. We value the constructive feedback you have provided and, like many other healthcare organizations the global pandemic has impacted the way we deliver care and our staffing needs. The good news is that we’ve rebounded delivering care at a similar pace we were before Covid-19. Additionally, you made mention of our benefits and PTO, and we are proud that we offer team members competitive salary and benefits to match our market rate. As a non-profit, delivering quality patient care and serving our community are priorities, but we must be prudent and diligent financially. We are always looking at the best options for maintaining our facilities, purchasing new medical equipment and updating technology. As time and budget allows, we move forward with these improvements. To address the concerns you made about managers, we recognize that manager skillsets and talents can differ from person to person and, we have leadership development programs to help build the skills and talents of our managers. We encourage all employees to talk through concerns and constructive feedback about management. If you would like to continue the conversation so we can work through this together you can contact me - more...
Management cares about pleasing the higher up. The bonuses go to management and CEO while the patient does not have the RN staffing that should present for critical procedures. And so I resigned. Because I care about patient safety and RN staffing. Not more millions for the CEO. 25 years devoted. And thrown under the bus by amateur managers.
Pros
Pay is competitive. Benefits used to be a love average
Cons
Management cares about management
February 23, 2021
Thank you for sharing your comments here. We appreciate you recognizing the competitive pay and benefits Virginia Mason provides its staff. We value our team members and believe that they deserve the best experience we can offer. At Virginia Mason patients are our top priority and their safety drives everything we do. Thank you for the constructive feedback on staffing and, while the Seattle market continues to remain very challenging and competitive to hire in, our recruiting team has had great success in bringing the best talent to Virginia Mason. We want to highlight your dedication and care to our patients for 25 years and, if you would like to further discuss your departure I hope you will reach out to me directly at (206) 341-0412. Thank you again for the feedback.
Incompetence abounds, from management to nursing, and they turn a blind eye every time. Speaking up about patient safety issues is a sure way to get you in trouble. Patient advocacy is nearly non-existent, and there is a toxic culture of spying and tattle-telling on coworkers for any minor, perceived inconvenience or injustice. Don't work here. It isn't worth the stress.
January 18, 2021
Thank you for posting the review, we value all feedback as we find ways to continually grow and improve. We are saddened to hear your perception of your work experience. At Virginia Mason we continue to focus on providing top quality care and the best experience for our patients and their families as well as our team members. We have shared your comments with our nursing leadership team and wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
As much as I wanted to continue working at Virginia Mason I had an unfortunate situation my mother had passed away therefore I had to personally resign to take time off for her demise. It was a real pleasure working at Virginia Mason learning about their ethics and policies abd learning different department operations.
Pros
Supportive staff
Cons
None i can say.
January 18, 2021
We are very sorry to hear of your mothers passing and want to thank you for taking time to share your review here. We appreciate you recognizing our teaching and learning environment. We work hard to create an environment where our team members feel valued and empowered in their jobs to succeed and grow. We wish you all the best and hope you will consider exploring opportunities again with us in the future.
I have been a medical assistant at Virginia Mason since 2014. I will be transitioning to a RN position later this month. Management has been very supportive of my education and even accommodated my hours so I could earn my degree. The work culture is positive, with an emphasis on respect for people. At VM, we strive to "put the patient on top" but everyone here matters and it shows. We do work hard though, but we do it as a team. Another bonus is the pay and excellent benefits. I received consistant raises and have been well compensated. Thanks VMMC, I give you an A++.
Pros
Well compensated plus really great benefits
Cons
At times short staffed
January 18, 2021
Thank you for your review! We’re so fortunate to have team members like you who are passionate about Virginia Mason. We are incredibly proud of our employees and we work hard to ensure that Virginia Mason is THE best place to work in Seattle. Congratulations on earning your RN degree and thank you for recognizing our positive work culture, focus on Respect for People, excellent pay and benefits. We value our team members and believe that they deserve the best experience we can offer. Thank you for joining our team and we hope your experience at Virginia Mason continues to be everything you hoped for!
Is the stress worth it? The work environment is very stressful. Severely understaffed and unappreciated. Management opportunities are who you know based and not on merit, I’ve seen people with no degree and less time at the company get promoted over more qualified applicants. Very top heavy with managers. Company does not care about work life balance for anyone below a supervisor level. This place was great when I started, but has been on a steady decline in the past decade.
Pros
Easy to get hired
Cons
Very Stressful
December 21, 2020
We appreciate you taking time to share your comments here. Thank you for acknowledging the great benefits we offer our team members. We value our team members and believe that they deserve the best experience we can offer. We are sorry your experience isn't meeting our shared expectations. We strive to provide not only positive experiences for our patients, but for our team members too. We would like to discuss your concerns in further detail and encourage you to contact your Human Resources Business Partner. We will make sure to share your comments with our leadership team. Thanks again for sharing the feedback.
The work is good and consistent and the days wouldn't seem so hard if there was consistent positive reinforcement and scheduling. There are some individuals that drag their feet or purposefully do bad work, and unfortunately management generally seems afraid to approach and reprimand them. There seems to be an odd pecking order within the hospital, where others see you as "beneath them". I thought it was a stereotype, but I suppose it has some truth. Good place to work, great benefits, fair pay, but I just wish some things would change for the better.
November 19, 2020
Thanks for sharing your comments on your experience at Virginia Mason. We appreciate you recognizing that Virginia Mason is a great environment to work in and offers competitive benefits/pay. We work hard to be the best place our team members have ever worked. We also appreciate the constructive feedback and want you to know that we value all feedback and strongly encourage all team members to talk through concerns about management with your HR Business Partner so we can work through them together. We're thankful you took the time to share your thoughts here, as we're always looking for ways to reflect and improve.
When you have a good manager, the Kaizen philosophy at Virginia Mason works optimally for the entire team. But if you have a bad manager, your joy is drained out of your soul. And bad managers do not follow the Kaizen philosophy and do not obtain all the facts when situations occur. If some "fellow" nurses don't like you, they may try to get you kicked out any way possible + with a bad manager = injustice.
Pros
Kaizen philosophy at VM
Cons
Some managers are terrible/injust and some nurses are catty
November 5, 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We often hear from prospective candidates that they read our reviews on Indeed to get a better understanding of what it's like to work here, so your feedback is valuable. Thank you for recognizing how well our Kaizen philosophy works to improve process for our teams. This philosophy is at the heart of everything we do. We also value the constructive feedback you provided and we are thankful you took the time to share your thoughts here. We will share your comments with the appropriate leaders, as we're always looking for ways to reflect and improve. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
Good pay and benefits. Management is NOT proactive - they can't seem to wrap their arounds around the operation. Work from home options are available to high perfomers.
Pros
Ability to work from home
Cons
Ineffective Leadership
November 5, 2020
We appreciate you taking time to share your work experience here. Thank you for recognizing the competitive pay and benefits Virginia Mason offers its team members. We work hard to be the best place our team members have ever worked. We value the constructive feedback you have provided and will share this information with the appropriate leadership team. We wish you all the best.
Worked there for 7 years in a few different departments. Depending on departments and manager. The job and work can be great, most co workers and people are friendly. If you get stuck if with a bad upper management, it can suck. Great place for advancement, and will most depts. let you combine breaks into an hour lunch, which makes it feel like you actually get one.
Pros
Great benefits, hour lunches.
Cons
Time off, and bad managers
October 22, 2020
Thank you with providing feedback on your work experience at Virginia Mason. We appreciate you recognizing how friendly our team members are and the great advancement opportunities available to our staff. We work hard to be the best place our team members have ever worked. We also appreciate hearing about how we can improve, so thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We wish you all the best.
Pay & benefitsMy pay and benefits at Virginia Mason Memorial Hospital are very little compared to the other team members. Especially for the amount of work I had compared to theirs.Job security and advancementIn terms of job security at Virginia Mason Memorial Hospital, I think I was easily replaceable to them.ManagementIn general, managers at Virginia Mason Memorial Hospital don’t treat you like team members.
February 1, 2021
Thank you for sharing your feedback about working at VM Memorial in Yakima. You are currently on the Virginia Mason Seattle review page, though. We recommend you post your comments on the VM Memorial page where they can be responded to.
Work-life balanceExcellent place to work forOverallI love and miss working for this company. I would still be there if I were living in Yakima WA. I love the culture of the place. Love all the hard working people
Taking classes was encouraged and your schedule you worked ( I worked night shift ) would be changed to accommodate you. I also was encouraged to ask the Chief of Staff if I could watch a whipple surgery of his, next time he was doing one.
  1. Employee Reviews