Virginia Museum of Fine Arts Employee Reviews

I have enjoyed my time at the VMFA
Evaluations Intern (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 21, 2018
I enjoy working at the VMFA, an exemplary cultural institution in the heart of Richmond. The museum is fully dedicated to its mission of providing cultural and educational opportunities to all Virginia residents.
Excellent work experience.
Manager of Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 27, 2018
VMFA was the ultimate work experience. I worked in the Housekeeping Department as the manager. The staff were very proficient in their responsibilities. The other departments were very "family-oriented," and worked well together on many projects and exhibitions. Though I'm retired now, I often reminisce of the many people that made my tenure at VMFA a memorable one.
Pros
Healthy food, knowledgable personnel.
Cons
Open 365 days a year.
Fun place to work, but hard to advance
Special Events Bar Captain/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 18, 2018
I enjoyed my job at VMFA, but if was difficult to advance. I applied for several positions in an attempt to qualify for health insurance but was looked over. They are more open to hiring externally.
Pros
Free tickets to exhibitions
VMFA is a wonderful place
Art on the Spot Visit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 2, 2017
...if you can afford to live for love and not money. The VMFA is a glorious Museum. Walking into that beauty every single day was incredible. Unfortunately, it is a state institution and even my friends with doctorate degrees in art history were barely scraping by, financially. I could not survive on 12 dollars/hour.
Worst Working Experience Ever
Director of Marketing and Communications (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 11, 2017
In a period of three years, the leadership of the Communications team has changed three times. Executive leadership is outdated, ego driven and unable to articulate what success looks like. Each Museum executive works in a silo and protects themselves at the expense of their teams. Nice place to visit, but never work here. Best in class talent is made to feel inferior. If you want to ruin your health then work here.
Pros
Beautiful environment, discounted lunches
Cons
Strong egos, demeaning personalities, horrible internal politics
Awful management
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 8, 2017
harassment by lead associate towards females prominent; making fun of certain individuals because they do not also participate in the gossip/slander. impossible to advance in company, will get bad review if not accepting of the harassment.
Pros
easy job
Cons
harassment
It was educational!
Museum Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 19, 2017
I learned a lot about art and it's history that I didn't previously know! Besides that and occasionally answering a guest's questions, it was a lot of standing around.
Typical Day
Parking Deck Attendant (part-time, paid) (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 17, 2017
I do Daily Income Cash Reports of money.
I also the most recent and current Market museum attractions
I Provide customer service as far as location to different destinations.
Awesome work environment, great staff
Education and Statewide Intern (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 22, 2017
I absolutely adored working here, which solidified my desire to stay in the art world. Being in constant communication with other like-minded people who care about art as much as I do was invigorating, and I made lasting connections.
Pros
Intern Discount, Exploring the Museum
Cons
Unpaid Intern
Great food,Beautiful Art, Musicand More..
Museum Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 21, 2015
A typical day would be come in sign out keys,radio, as needed. Get breifed on post found out if there any speical post orders for that day. If there was any thing that I need an answer to management was all ways just a call away.Working as an museum associate my co-workers and I we really relied on one another to ensure the safety of the visitors as well as staff.There wasn't antyhing hard about this job. The best thing about this job was meating new people it was awsome.
Fast paced work environment with emphasis on receptionist and customer service duties
Membership and Visitor Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VaJuly 25, 2015
On a daily basis my tea and I would provide excellent customer service to guests as well as administrative support for the department. I would answer phone and e-mail inquiries as well as register patrons for classes and programs held within the museum. Multitasking was essential to being able to perform self guided tasks effectively. I enjoyed working with like-minded individuals who appreciated each other and were all team players.
Fun and fantastic workplace with a variety of duties and tasks
Education Intern (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 26, 2014
Developed lesson plans and gallery tours for permanent exhibitions
Developed and assisted online resources
Conducted research for upcoming exhibitions
Assisted summer studio teachers with programs and classes
Organized art materials and supplies
Pros
Adaptable environment, various tasks
Cons
Long commute
Great place to work, not much room for advancement
Special Event Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 4, 2014
The VMFA is a great place to work and it is full of diverse people. However, there is no room for advancement.
The greatest place to work in Richmond
Communications Intern (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 3, 2014
There is always something happening here! Never a dull moment at work.
Barista
Barista (Former Employee) –  Richmond VAJune 20, 2014
worked hard in a new position in a newly renovated business so to speak, learned to make coffee correctly, no one had ever managed before so new experience for all, loved the Picasso exhibit
Pros
beautiful and new
Cons
no one knew what to do at first
Worst Job Ever
Museum Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VirginiaMarch 22, 2014
They target and harass certain people. Favoritism is highly displayed. The co-workers were the best.
Easy going workplace with clear direction
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 2, 2014
A typical day at work would be cleaning my art gallery and doing the floors. I have learned to use properly use a buffer and wax floors. Management is good and gives a chance to do your work without being forceful. My co-workers are good team members and they don't mind helping you out.
Pros
Half off at the museum restaurant
Cons
No benefits, no overtime
Working as a barista and coffee specialist at the Museum
Barista (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 11, 2013
Loved the job at first, very good barista, excellent with my skills with the public. When the Picasso job ended, so did the hours and I trained a new barista and gave a two week notice. They were all sorry to see me leave but a new crew was ready to take over.
Pros
Beautiful place, clean, new, special time for me
Cons
First time managers and they have all been asked to resign after I left
it was a good job with good pay and ok hours couldn't live on just that but it helped
Food Staff (Former Employee) –  richmond, vaJune 11, 2013
got to meet many important people

was pretty easy going yet demanding which I liked

seemed like management only knew what they were doing about half of the time and orders would constantly conflict with other managers
Pros
free food fun environment
Cons
management