Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
Graduate teaching assignments are tenuous, irregular work.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMay 17, 2018
Good support for teaching undergraduate classes. We tend to hold too many meetings that never resolve any outstanding issues. Also, this work is somewhat arbitrarily assigned (i.e. presently I have no income because I didn't get a summer teaching assignment).
Pros
Regular, predictable work
Cons
Grading work (outside of teaching hours) takes too much time.
Acceptable Work Study Arrangement
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMay 11, 2018
Typical Day: Arrived at the office after my morning classes and set my personal belonging behind the front desk; greeted visitors, answered calls, performed requested tasks, etc. as requested or required; locked up any common areas before departing in the afternoon;

Lessons Learned: Time management and personal interactivity

Management: Very reasonable and understanding

Workplace Culture: Friendly and supportive, while also having high expectations of one another;

Hardest Part of the Job: Potentially anything could be required at a moment's notice, so often was performing tasks with little to no forewarning

Most Enjoyable Part of the Job: Meet and befriended many members of the department and staff, which I have remained in touch with to this day
Great
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAApril 28, 2018
Great place to work. I made lots of amazing friends and had a great boss. Very happy with my time there as a student and someone who got to work there part time
Pros
Flexible
Behind
Research Lab Technician Lung Health Department (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAApril 3, 2018
The school is living in the past. No raises in two years. Manager does not no how to lead. Department is still twenty years behind. Tough to get the thing you need to do your job.
Don't expect to get anything done quickly!
Capital Construction Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMarch 19, 2018
Virginia Tech is very typical large public employer. They have many layers and many managers that conduct way to many meetings. Be prepared to play the political game your boss feels is important.
I love VT
Curriculum Specialist/Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAFebruary 2, 2018
Virginia Tech was my employer and my school of choice. It was a great place to work and to learn. I would return if they had a job for me. :) My last position ended when I graduated from college.
GTA'ing at Virginia Tech
Instructor of Record (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VANovember 16, 2017
I was instructor of record for multiple PSCI courses. I was able to teach these classes as I saw fit. However, I was also paid a graduate wage, which was not bad, but marginal in comparison to what graduate engineering students receive.
Pros
campus, faculty, resources, football
Cons
competitive faculty, publish or perish
Good experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAOctober 12, 2017
The experience I am gaining as a BSE research assistant has been invaluable. I am learning skills that will carry over to my future careers. Future employers will benefit from my experience.
Good people, really enjoyed working there
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VASeptember 25, 2017
As a graduate student working there is great, they cover tuition, a lot of the advisors are great to work with, my department (MSE) was very kind. As a grad student, the hours can get kind of long and they do put a lot of reconcilability on you, but I thought that it was a really good thing as it helped me to learn a lot.
Great job, not enough hours paid
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VASeptember 24, 2017
I love teaching kids! However, you get paid for only the hours you are teaching, yet required to do a lot of outside work. This includes lesson plans and report cards, which I would have no issue with, if we were compensated. Lesson plans generally take two hours, so I end up doing 5 hours of work a week and get paid for two. There also are not enough lessons available to make it worth the time.
Computer Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAAugust 3, 2017
Great place to work... great opportunities to learn and advance one self. the benefits can not be beat ... job security is wonderful.....................
Great Grad Assistant Opportunities
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMay 21, 2017
If you're going to pursue a job as a research assistant, Virginia Tech is as good as any. The benefits depend on your specific department and contract, so I can't speak for everyone's experience. I would advise that the manager/advisor makes the job, so do some serious consulting prior to accepting a position.
Pros
Flexible hours, great campus, government benefit opportunities
Cons
Contract position only, limited opportunities for advancement
Student focused
Assistant Director of Student Programming (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAApril 10, 2017
Student focused
Rules and policies some prohibited student creativity
Great supportive staff who care for one another
Lots of school spirit
Beautiful campus
Productive and Career building environment
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAApril 5, 2017
Productive and Career building environment where professional and personal connections are made and fostered. Typically a day for a Graduate Research Assistant consist of teaching classes, running experiments for their project, reading up on latest or old papers in the field of study, participating in certain professional clubs, participated in meetings/conducted meetings, and helped with event planning and execution.
Pros
networking and professional growth
Cons
work life balance
Productive Educative Environment
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMarch 30, 2017
Good place to work and study in. It helps you to improve yourself and to want to be better not only for you but for the community. It is a good working environment.
Fun place to work
Horse Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAFebruary 7, 2017
I was around horses every day, which was wonderful. Most didn't have the best ground manners so they would run over you. When I wanted to start a new project, my manager was quick to listen and quick to help ,e get started.
Fast-paced job with good purpose
Student Wage Employee (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJanuary 15, 2017
As a wage employee, I researched Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations regarding unmanned aircraft system certification and operation.Expectations were understandably high. The amount of work involved for navigating regulations likely warranted more than the official 10 hours per week.
Pros
Great focus and collaboration between groups
Cons
In my opinion, this job required more than 10 hours per week
small town university, very close culture
Senior Director of Development (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VADecember 16, 2016
Very intense work environment. Co-workers were somewhat standoffish. Management challenging to work with. Enjoyed traveling to see donors.
Educational Experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAOctober 25, 2016
Work was easy to understand and not to complicated. I felt like I could ask questions if I was confused. My co-workers and Boss were wonderful and communicated well.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Loads of Reading hard to find materials
graduate teaching assistant
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJune 30, 2016
Being a graduate teaching assistant is great. There's a tuition waiver and a stipend for certain departments. You will be very busy with classes and GTA duties; but you should have time to sleep most days.
Pros
tuition waiver, pizza
Cons
very busy