Virginia State University Employee Reviews

This is a very wonderful place to work
Admin Programs Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAMarch 14, 2019
Open office, interacted with students, faculty and other VSU faculty and staff. prepared meeting schedule and agenda, process EVA orders, BOA statements, arranged events. Managed work-study students work assignment. The culture is very diverse and loving atmosphere, never had a hard day at work, Enjoyed associating with the students, faculty and staff.
Pros
Nice lunches at events.
Fun workplace, Comfortable atmosphere
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAFebruary 21, 2019
The job was never difficult but merely time consuming. While working I learned to troubleshoot computer malfunctions as well as how to maintain the hardware. Unfortunately, the management of the engineering department was not exactly organized but was passionate about the work that needed to be completed. The most difficult part of the job would be teaching mathematics beyond calculus 2. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the grades of my min-tees go up over time.
Meeting People
Security/Traffic Officer (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VADecember 30, 2018
Enjoyed meeting people from all over the world. I loved my job on campus. The hardest part was not being prepared..
A typical day was writing tickets.
Never a Dull Momment
Budget Analyst (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VADecember 27, 2018
There are highs and lows at VSU just like everywhere else. It is a fun atmosphere that is focused and diligent. We know how to get the job done and get it done efficiently.
Productive and Effecient
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VADecember 10, 2018
I enjoyed my time at Virginia state University. It was a great work environment in which I was able to excel. I learned a lot but I was also able to get a lot done will I spent time here.
Psychology Department
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VANovember 14, 2018
Excellent department to work in. Everyone was like a family. All students were treated fairly and all worked hard to accomplish their goals. All professors and dean had the same vision and that was to see the success of their students.
Fun Competitive work environment
Audio-Visual Production Specialist Intern (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAOctober 11, 2018
Fun Competitive work environment.This is a great company to work for if you are looking for a job out of college to build your skill set and resume. Raises are few and far between, but the company consistently hires amazing people and the culture is a great reason to stay.
An experience
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VA 23803October 11, 2018
Work study job: Depending on placement it could b fun, or a pain. Be likeable, and do your job. Know who your Supervisors are and up the chain because you don't want to offend the "wrong" person.
Nice
Media Specialist (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VASeptember 19, 2018
Like every organization Virginia State University has it's flaws however, overall VSU is a great place to work. The relationships I have built here over the years are priceless.
what i learned at the volunteer work
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VASeptember 10, 2018
I learnt that communication is the key, i learned that when Communicating helps people to express their ideas and feelings, and it, at the same time, helps us to understand emotion and thoughts of the others. As a result, we will develop affection or hatred toward other people, and positive or negative relationships will be created.
Great Place to Work
Configuration Manager (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VAAugust 30, 2018
I can't say enough good things about working at VSU. There is great work/life balance, the culture is awesome, management is great and there is job security. I love working in civil service; helping students and the Commonwealth succeed.
Feeling of the job
Media Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAAugust 22, 2018
A typical day at work was checking production set up for pre and post production.
Monitoring the check out inventory
Trouble shooting
monitor and operate sound room equipment
Pros
Getting more and more experience doing what I love
Cons
Not being a full time position
part time work
COOK (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAAugust 6, 2018
its a good place to work if you don't mind working during the winter and have un employment during the summer. the hours are crazy and fluctuate, but it is a good start-up job
Pros
part time
Cons
free meal
Work Study
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAAugust 3, 2018
I worked around 15 to 20 hours a week.
My job responsibilities were to keep track of the residents' guests and maintain peace between the female residents.
Cons
Low Pay
Great work environment, Wonderful people, and love the food!
IT Asset Management Software Analyst (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJuly 27, 2018
Well, my typical day for me usually I come in during the morning say good morning to everyone in the office. Then, I start my day off checking my data logs and tickets. Everything after that are projects that needed to be done and more tickets. Being around the VSU environment help me develop my communication skills, gain knowledge in planning and organization. Also give me the ability to work with cross-functional teams and senior management. The hardest part of this for me was staying on top of multiple task on a consistent basis. The most enjoyable part had to be the hr lunch break.
History Instructor
History Instructor (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJune 25, 2018
Working at VSU is just fine. I've learned how to work with students and my colleagues. The benefits are generous and the staff is there to help new employees and answer questions as needed.
n/a
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg, PAJune 23, 2018
A typical day at work would be making sure all the children are signed in. then we would have an activity for them to do snack usually followed behind the activity. afterwords we take the kids inside and have them read for thirty minutes. we do an outdoor physical activity and then feed the kids in the program lunch and the community lunch.
great working environment
CAREO Project Assembler (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJune 12, 2018
Worked here during school and now over the summer. It's been a great working experiment with wonderful collaborators. condusive working environment and good pay for the time spent.
Communications Operator (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJune 6, 2018
VSU Police Dispatch managed by an uneducated unprofessional individual, working there was a huge chore. University is great, but the police department needs better management.
Pros
Great location
Cons
Bad Management
A great place to be
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VAMay 25, 2018
As an alumnus of Virginia State University this is truly a great place to be and work. VSU is one of a kind. I could go on and on about my experiences at VSU but it is up to the next person to make their experiences.