Virginia State University Employee Reviews

An experience
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VA 23803October 11, 2018
Work study job: Depending on placement it could b fun, or a pain. Be likeable, and do your job. Know who your Supervisors are and up the chain because you don't want to offend the "wrong" person.
Nice
Media Specialist (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VASeptember 19, 2018
Like every organization Virginia State University has it's flaws however, overall VSU is a great place to work. The relationships I have built here over the years are priceless.
what i learned at the volunteer work
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VASeptember 10, 2018
I learnt that communication is the key, i learned that when Communicating helps people to express their ideas and feelings, and it, at the same time, helps us to understand emotion and thoughts of the others. As a result, we will develop affection or hatred toward other people, and positive or negative relationships will be created.
Great Place to Work
Configuration Manager (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VAAugust 30, 2018
I can't say enough good things about working at VSU. There is great work/life balance, the culture is awesome, management is great and there is job security. I love working in civil service; helping students and the Commonwealth succeed.
Feeling of the job
Media Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAAugust 22, 2018
A typical day at work was checking production set up for pre and post production.
Monitoring the check out inventory
Trouble shooting
monitor and operate sound room equipment
Pros
Getting more and more experience doing what I love
Cons
Not being a full time position
part time work
COOK (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAAugust 6, 2018
its a good place to work if you don't mind working during the winter and have un employment during the summer. the hours are crazy and fluctuate, but it is a good start-up job
Pros
part time
Cons
free meal
Work Study
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAAugust 3, 2018
I worked around 15 to 20 hours a week.
My job responsibilities were to keep track of the residents' guests and maintain peace between the female residents.
Cons
Low Pay
Great work environment, Wonderful people, and love the food!
IT Asset Management Software Analyst (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJuly 27, 2018
Well, my typical day for me usually I come in during the morning say good morning to everyone in the office. Then, I start my day off checking my data logs and tickets. Everything after that are projects that needed to be done and more tickets. Being around the VSU environment help me develop my communication skills, gain knowledge in planning and organization. Also give me the ability to work with cross-functional teams and senior management. The hardest part of this for me was staying on top of multiple task on a consistent basis. The most enjoyable part had to be the hr lunch break.
History Instructor
History Instructor (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJune 25, 2018
Working at VSU is just fine. I've learned how to work with students and my colleagues. The benefits are generous and the staff is there to help new employees and answer questions as needed.
n/a
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg, PAJune 23, 2018
A typical day at work would be making sure all the children are signed in. then we would have an activity for them to do snack usually followed behind the activity. afterwords we take the kids inside and have them read for thirty minutes. we do an outdoor physical activity and then feed the kids in the program lunch and the community lunch.
great working environment
CAREO Project Assembler (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJune 12, 2018
Worked here during school and now over the summer. It's been a great working experiment with wonderful collaborators. condusive working environment and good pay for the time spent.
Communications Operator (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJune 6, 2018
VSU Police Dispatch managed by an uneducated unprofessional individual, working there was a huge chore. University is great, but the police department needs better management.
Pros
Great location
Cons
Bad Management
A great place to be
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VAMay 25, 2018
As an alumnus of Virginia State University this is truly a great place to be and work. VSU is one of a kind. I could go on and on about my experiences at VSU but it is up to the next person to make their experiences.
Great for students pursuing athletic training career
Athletic Training Student (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VAMay 23, 2018
I enjoyed working side by side the athletic trainers at Virginia State University and would not mind coming back for work.it was a great experience. I definitely recommend it to VSU students to intern there.
Productive place and fun workplace with the students
Work Study Student (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VAMay 18, 2018
the workplace it a successful place that anybody can work here because the students are friendly and also the staff. the hardest part of the is not telling the students who are coming to see us nor what happing in homecoming and sprinkling.
Relaxed
Honors Work Study- Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAMay 15, 2018
Workplace is very relaxed and slow. Employees are friendly. There was not much to do at my position, so it was somewhat boring, but I needed the position to help pay my tuition.
New Challenges
INTERN COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAMay 10, 2018
Working at Virginia State University was an amazing experience. You have the opportunity to be apart of students lives, planning, and decision making. It is a crucial part of their development into adulthood. The staff was nice in my department and always made time to help others.
Productive and Helpful
Judicial Affairs Intern (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAMay 7, 2018
A typical work day consists of at least 9 cases and 3 conflict resolution/peer mediation situations. The hardest part is not getting your feelings too much involved in your work. The most enjoyable part is knowing you helped someone and the amount of support the other staff provides you. Everyone in the workplace is very supportive and friendly.
Excellent work environment
Research Professor (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VAMay 2, 2018
I worked in the Engineering Department.
The management team at engineering was supportive and visionary.
Colleagues were collaborative and helpful.
Support staff throughout the University were likewise helpful.
Pros
Good work environment
Great Short term job
Family Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VAMay 1, 2018
Worked here for about 2 months where I worked in the student Health center seeing patient. Work environment was good and everyone was friendly . I would recommend this job.