Virginia Supportive Housing Employee Reviews

Very productive work place
Desk Clerk - 1st Shift Weekends (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 30, 2018
Typical day of work is busy with resident activity. I learned that people from all walks of life need support and mostly compassion. The workplace culture was okay. Interaction with other employees was very limited due to the shift worked and weekend hours which also made it the hardest part of he job. The most enjoyable part of he job was meeting new people and becoming knowledgeable about the residents and their day to day interactions with myself and others.
Pros
Worked independently.
Supportive and Successful
Supportive Services (Current Employee) –  VirginiaMay 10, 2018
We have a supportive and successful workplace culture, everyone is truly dedicated to our mission to end homelessness and management supports us 100% plus great opportunities to learn and grow.
Pros
independence, team, growth, benefits and pay
Cons
non profits have limited funding so budgets are always tight
"Supportive" housing
Supporitve Services (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 14, 2018
If you're thinking about your professional future, don't work here. I left a job at this agency and other potential employers questioned my fit with them because they didn't think I'd actually learned how to be a mental health professional at this job. The agency's reputation has declined nocticably in the community.
Upper management not worth it
Supportive Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 27, 2018
The day to day work in this job is demanding, but it is worthwhile because the clients need your help. Nothing will prepare you for how little the agency actually cares for its case managers or the clients. That makes it impossible to stay in a difficult job, for mediocre pay, with no room for growth.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Organizational culture
Management is divisive, clients are wonderful but extremely challenging
Client support staff/ case manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 4, 2017
The change in management is the reason I left. The clients were wonderful, but very challenging at times. The mission of the agency used to be supported by all the passionate staff. Unfortunately, this ended with change in leadership. High burn out and lack of support from the agency quickly killed the programs' success and clients' progress. I would love to still be involved with the clients in a volunteer capacity, but the volunteer dept was cut.
Pros
Previous passionate coworkers
Cons
Lack of agency support from upper mgt
average work enviroment
Maintenance Tech (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 21, 2017
A typical day was going in and finding something in the queue to work on. If I wasn't able to do any of the request I would find something to do. Be it clean or paint.
Productive community oriented workplace.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Suffolk, VAAugust 1, 2017
Greeting and assisting residents with work order requests. One on one interaction with residents, collection of rents. The most enjoyable part of the job is when the local church comes in to have service and holiday parties for the residents.
Pros
Helping those who qualify for transitional housing with a positive outlook.
Cons
Working the night shift.
Working here
HOUSING-BASED CASE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 8, 2016
Working here is great! This agency truly cares about its clients. They work hard to help house those who are homeless. This agency is filled with dedicated workers.
Great service and mission
Human Resources Administrator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 29, 2015
The company is awesome. The mission to end homelessness permanently is a great one, and uses a great model, however, as with every non profit the funding is very limited.
Productive workplace
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 16, 2015
A typical day at work includes walking the property inside and out to make sure the appearance of the building is clean and to notate any repairs need to be completed by the maintenance staff. I enjoy my co-workers because we all work as a team environment. Because this organization houses formally homeless individuals it is hard when someone has a mental episode. But overall the job is rewarding.
Pros
Helping the homeless.
Cons
N/a

Want to know more about Virginia Supportive Housing?

Ask a question
Continuously offering new oppotunities
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 17, 2014
A typical day for me includes explaining the organization's services and eligibility requirements to prospective clients. If individuals are Veterans, then I conduct an initial screening on them; based on what information they tell me will determine if he/she is eligible for services, and if so, for which ones. I assist my co-workers in time-sensitive projects if and when my schedule allows me to. I have tremendously enhanced my verbal and written communication skills because clear communication is vital for my job. I get along very well with my co-workers and feel very welcome and comfortable in my work environment. The hardest part of my job would be that it is currently only part-time. I feel that I would benefit most from a full-time job that would allow me to expand my time and resources. The most enjoyable part of my job would be when I learn that an individual who I did a screening on and who I spoke with multiple times, has been permanently housed.
Great mission and goal
Assistant Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 13, 2013
There is no typical day, everyday you should expect the unexpected. Working with clients that are formally homeless and have disabilities can be very challenging.
Pros
Awesome coworkers
Cons
short lunch breaks