Virginia Tech

Reviewer Recommended

Recommended Workplaces earn this badge by having an average star rating of 4.2 or higher in the last two years, and at least 10 reviews from Indeed users.

Virginia Tech Employee Reviews

Great Place to work
Economic Researcher (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMarch 20, 2019
Everyone is friendly and respectful. Anyone who works here will love it. Blacksburg has a great community. Working here is awesome and is highly recommended
Meeting new people
Lead Associate (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMarch 11, 2019
You meet many different people working at tech, from all around the world, and make friends. Then you get to see them grow and graduate. It makes it worth while to work at Virginia Tech.
Floor Tech/Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMarch 9, 2019
I have been with Virginia Tech for quite a while. Management and staff are always very nice here. Managers always work with your solutions to problems. NEW equipment to make my job much easier to complete my tasks.
Pros
I enjoy working with the students.
Cons
N/a
Staff Support
Facilities Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Facilities OperationsMarch 5, 2019
The agency does a very good job of creating work areas where employees can feel supported and part of a team. Small work groups ensure good communication and a willingness to accomplish the mission task
Pros
Create good friends and lifetime memories
Cons
New managers seem to take a long time to engage
OK place to work
Research Engineer (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAFebruary 28, 2019
Easy going, but job duties not well defined. Ended up making up my own duties, more-or-less. Teaching undergrad lab class was interesting, as was working on projects for outside agencies. Immediate supervisors OK to work for, but one of them turned out to be vindictive. A little on the clannish side, the faculty guard their 'kingdoms' jealously.
Great Lab Envrionment
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAFebruary 21, 2019
The research I did during my master degree was conducted in great condition. VT has great lab equipment and tons of resources. My mentor supported and guided the research team well.
My favorite job
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAFebruary 20, 2019
Students would structure their shifts around classes and would be flexible switching with others. Typically everyday equipment is gone through, supervisors walk around the building regularly and check in on employees and their tasks.
Pros
breaks included in 6 hours shifts
Cons
sometimes overstaffed yet sometimes understaffed.
Go Hokies
Teacher's Assistant - Evolutionary Biology (Former Employee) –  VAFebruary 13, 2019
Working for Virginia Tech is a blast. The Blacksburg Community is fantastic and I was happy to be a part of a great team. I think of these co-workers as family.
Fast paced and educational
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VA 24060February 10, 2019
Typically very fast paced. Most techs work well with each other on shift to get things done. Very rewarding to be teaching students that are going to be graduating. Can be frustrating working with so many doctors of all skill levels from all different departments.
Pros
insurance, retirement, teaching
Cons
management sometimes
Worked in the Architecture building
Architecture and Design Print Lab Leader (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJanuary 9, 2019
This job had a lot of room for advancements and also to experiment with your own projects. Boss was very encouraging and goal oriented. The hours were also very flexible and could be worked into almost every schedule.
Pros
Great boss
I enjoyed working at VT/Carilion Memorial Hospital
Postgraduate Fellowship in Emergency Medicine (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJanuary 8, 2019
It was a great place to train and had very knowledgeable staff. We also had a number of opportunities for growth and education. Everyone was valued and happy.
Productive and fun place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJanuary 5, 2019
Best parts of the job are getting to work with people and never having the same day twice. Coworkers are always striving to work together and make the program better.
This is Home
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJanuary 4, 2019
Our student motto says it all. Virginia Tech is an awesome university with an extremely rewarding undergraduate life. It is difficult at times, but there is always someone willing to help foster success. The experience is definitely what you make of it but if you strive to do your best than there is no way you can fail.
Relaxed environment, good way to practice communication skills
Virginia Tech Visitor Center (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJanuary 2, 2019
I enjoy working at the Visitor Center. I interact with prospective students and families very often and get to enhance my social skills. I also get to represent the Corps of Cadets and student population as an employee.
Strong culture (Ut Prosim), stimulating work environment, poor advancement
Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJanuary 1, 2019
VT is a great place to work if you are tenure track or tenured faculty. Great deal of support for your career. If you are either professional/admin faculty or staff, advancement if very limited UNLESS you know the right person or have a mentor looking after you.
Most job posting are for jobs that already have been designated for a "friend".
Easy to be forgotten by admin/HR in terms of career prospects/promotion.
Pros
Great benefits, freedom to decide for oneself, positive culture.
Cons
No advancement possible unless you know the right person, "Middle managers" are STUCK, 2 tiered system where tenure track faculty are kings and the rest below
Good opportunities for development but poor work-life balance
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VADecember 27, 2018
In addition to your projects, there are side projects you need to conduct. Teaching assignment is general light (<20 h/week) but research workload is heavy.
Chances to take many classes to broaden knowledge.
Good Job for Students
Student Wage Worker, Dining Services (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VADecember 20, 2018
Working at any of the dining halls or bookstores at Virginia Tech is great for students because it is low stress and flexible. Management understands the needs of students and helps in any ways they can.
Pros
Free food each shift
Cons
Short or no breaks (depending on the hours worked)
Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VADecember 18, 2018
Enjoyed working at VTTI and would return if given the opportunity. The people were very friendly, the team was easy to work with.

I would have preferred working 3 days a week but that was not an option at the time.

Each department was separate and I didn't have a very good idea about what each one did. I would have liked to be able to create n New Employee Orientation program for all new employees to give them a better overview of all departments.
Pros
Environment
Cons
great place to meet and serve new people
housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VADecember 3, 2018
conflict of interest with family being apart of management . enjoyed the customers i was able to serve, met very kind students and staff. enjoyed my building i was assigned .
Students make us want to come to work
Chief of Staff (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VADecember 1, 2018
Virginia Tech provides outstanding opportunities for 30,000+ students. Expansion in Northern Virginia furthers the foundation for students and creates amazing opportunities.

Great environment!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Virginia Tech. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.6Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight