Virginia Tech Employee Reviews

Great place!
Licensed Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VA 24060October 16, 2018
I loved working here. Many departments and depending on where you are, stressful or relaxed. Constant contact with students as it is a teaching position as well as a technician position.
Surprisingly dysfunctional for such a prestigious University
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAOctober 10, 2018
I am very surprised at what I have learned since I ventured onto campus some 6 years ago. During my short tenure here as an Admin, I am quite amazed at the dysfunction not only in my department but in many others. Management has not been interested in my growth as an employee. Employees are given many extra tasks without extra pay. Interns are paid more than employees. Hiring employee's (from another department) significant others. I do not feel the President nor the Vice Presidents are in touch with their constituents. I have never experienced this at any other university.
Pros
Affordable healthcare benefits, paid time off, retirement
Cons
Expensive on campus parking, Poor management, remote location of Blacksburg
Great First Job
Recreational Facilities Worker (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAOctober 8, 2018
For a job on a college campus, I really did learn a lot in my position. I learned the importance of great customer service, as well as, the importance of being extremely aware of your surroundings. Because it is a gym setting, you have to be so aware of what everyone in your area is doing, and be in-tune with how they are perceiving the facility at all times. Similarly, in my supervisor position, I had to be aware of how the employees working under me were interacting with the patrons.
A good place to work
Asst Dir of Systems Integration - Web Development (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAOctober 4, 2018
First let me clearly state, Virginia Tech IS a great place to work. I've been at VT since 1997 in various roles. I've seen good and bad, leadership and employees. I've heard of good and bad experiences. But, the overall environment at VT is a pleasant one.

As with any large employer, your mileage will vary, in varying organizations within the whole. The only issue I can unequivocally say is a sticking point, is the salary paid most individuals at the university. Typically, if you're not in a director level position or above, or a more specialized IT type, you'll be unsatisfied with your salary. Market rate, in southwest Virginia, will NOT look like what you expect from other higher paid markets. This is offset by the lower cost of everything else in the area and the beautiful environment. This may not be enough for some, and I'm sure VT has lost out on many good people because of it.

Another sticking point for some single individuals may be the availability of other like-minded single individuals. IF you're 30+ years old and NOT into the usual 18-24 year-old college student, you may not like your stay here. IF you are not the type that can network between the various groups within the university to find YOUR PEOPLE, you might not like it here. I warn you, IF you are not open to actively seeking out these connections, via meetings, forums, sporting events, concerts, etc., people will generally leave you alone. I mean, really, you'll be alone and lonely. So you have to be open to everything initially, for your own mental health. I assure you, it is not YOU, but if you don't
  more... act, you will be alone.

Another point I'd like to make, speaks to the professional development offered by VT. There are various avenues for your professional development, VT offers some for those individuals so inclined. There are other opportunities that you'll have to find yourself and introduce to whoever your leader may be. Generally speaking, it's encouraged. As a point of info on this, don't EXPECT to be given a bonus or raise for that new degree, certificate, or a bit of knowledge. That's not how it works here. You take the initiative to obtain the knowledge/degree/cert. You add it to your arsenal and use it where you can in your current position. Then when you've had enough, you apply for another position, at VT, where they'll pay you a little more for that knowledge. That's how it works at VT.

Additionally, as a point of career growth strategy at VT. Do NOT stay in a position for longer than 2-4 years. You must move within the various organizations at VT to obtain the best outcomes concerning your salary. They do not generally GIVE you raises. You give yourself a raise, by moving to a new position. That seems to be the easiest way here, maybe other places too, I'm not sure.

Again, let me unequivocally state, VT IS a great place to work and southwest VA is a good place to live. If you can accept the constraints that come along with it. If you cannot, and think you're going to come and change everything, you're in for a rough time.
Pros
Safe, clean environment, great energy, great people, healthcare is great, outdoors, tradition
Cons
salary
Large research university,small town, with great football
Associate Head Baseball Coach (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAOctober 4, 2018
Terrible salary in certain departments, yet, a fun place to work. Upper administration not in tuned with actual costs needed to be successful until a change, then, unlimited resources.
Great way to get customer service experience
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAOctober 3, 2018
Learned a lot about the operations of a retail store from a front line position. Inventory, management, and customer service was a daily part of the job.
review
Student Caller (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 1, 2018
It was really great. Great work-life balance and I loved the salary omg. I really learnt a lot and the people were so friendly and sweet. Would work there again.
Gta
GRADUATE TEACHING ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAOctober 1, 2018
General day at work is not stressful, its fun
I learned a lot in terms of teaching
Management is really good
Workplace culture is nice as everyone is helpful
Interesting and challenging.
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VASeptember 13, 2018
The research provided detailed information that was used to compare food labels with the actual content of packaged foods. I was introduced to the team and we worked together to evaluate packaged foods and how they compared to dietary guidelines.
Pros
Academic environment
Cons
no upward mobility
Good learning experience.
Volunteer, Food Science Laboratory (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VASeptember 6, 2018
I learned a lot during my time here. Teachers and graduate students were helpful in times of misunderstanding or confusion when completing various experiments.
data collector was okay
Data Collection Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAAugust 29, 2018
This job was something I needed to get through college by doing. it was boring. sat in a chair and called people and had to follow a script. Basically similar to cold calling. All calls recorded and counted. Had to meet a quota for each shift or lost your job.
Good working environment, for a student
SERVICE ASSOCIATE | Qdoba Mexican Eats (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAAugust 21, 2018
Working at Virginia Tech as a student was better than working full time. Working full time you get opportunities for advancement, but it was usually lateral, specifically in food service.
Pros
Pretty good benefits
Cons
Lateral advancement
Wonderful place to work, great support staff and managment
Coordinator of Women's Olympic Sports (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAAugust 20, 2018
This was one of my top 2 places to work. Coworkers and management were supportive and encouraging. The university was the town and the whole town had incredible Hokie spirit that was contagious!
Pros
Energizing atmosphere, amazing support staff, coworkers and management
Paid Research..... Nuff said
Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAAugust 15, 2018
Same as anywhere else your expereince depends on your adivsor. I was lucky and was on an awesome team with a great mentor who got me exposure and expereince I would have never gotten before. Even when things got hard, Virginia Tech helped me and allowed me to make it through based on my own hard work.
Pros
Always have the latest Technology at your hands
Cons
No room for advancement due to fixed income of students
mission driven
Accounts Receivable Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAAugust 15, 2018
Overall, Virginia Tech is a great place to work because there are opportunities to transfer to other departments at a higher pay; however, a lot also depends on the connection you have with your Supervisor and Manager which in my situation, I made the decision to leave after 7 years of employment.

It is very important to research jobs and really get to know if you get the feeling whether you are the best fit for that job.
Pros
good salary
Cons
miscomminication
Great place
Operations Specialist, Squires Student Center (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAAugust 13, 2018
Great place to work. Management is nice and understanding. Coworkers are very nice and hard working. Squires is a great place to work as a student. Good place.
Fun and productive work environment in the athletic department
Senior Director of Compliance and Financial Aid (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAAugust 8, 2018
Virginia Tech has a real sense of family. Everyone is willing to help out and lend a hand to get the job done. Employees are very knowledgeable in their respective areas. The office runs smoothly and the environment is fun.
School of Medicine
Admin (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAAugust 1, 2018
Very stressful and demanding. No room for errors or questions. Not a team oriented environment and does not care about their employees. Expected to do all work in 40 hour week but really it would require more hours but they do not pay overtime or like to give comp time.
Benefits
Cons
Limited time off
Good Career Beginnings but Stagnant Growth
IT Help Desk Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJuly 28, 2018
My time at Virginia Tech was relatively positive, I feel like I gained a lot of information about myself while I was there and I had several great coworkers. That said though, It's a very clique like community and starting from the bottom and working your way up is done extremely slowly due to the nature of working in the public sector. I wouldn't recommend staying for more than 2-3 years if you're just starting your career; that said, if you already have a gainful career started and aren't going to rely on rapid growth, then this place is wonderful. The benefits were awesome and the PTO was great.
Pros
Great Benefits, Interesting Culture
Cons
Very Clique-y, Slow Job Growth
Fast paced
First Cook (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJuly 25, 2018
A very multi cultural work environment. Great work environment.Plenty chances to improve and advance in your career . Even though it was fast paced it was a very delightful atmosphere with plenty of smiling faces.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Never the same break times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Virginia Tech. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

60%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

75%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss