Virginia Tech Employee Reviews

Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VADecember 18, 2018
Enjoyed working at VTTI and would return if given the opportunity. The people were very friendly, the team was easy to work with.

I would have preferred working 3 days a week but that was not an option at the time.

Each department was separate and I didn't have a very good idea about what each one did. I would have liked to be able to create n New Employee Orientation program for all new employees to give them a better overview of all departments.
Pros
Environment
Cons
HokieVision is great to work at
Student Production Assistant, HokieVision (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAOctober 24, 2018
Worked as a student production assistant for a little over two years and I loved my job! This job made me realize this was the field I wanted to make a career in. The hands-on experience you gain is incredible. Getting to work with cameras, audio equipment, and switchers is the perfect gateway to getting a job either in the college realm or in the professional world. The staff is great with students and knows how to train them to run all of the equipment properly. Great overall experience and would highly recommend for anyone who is interested in sports!
Worked at the campus bookstore for 3 years going from clerk to manager
CLINIQUE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAOctober 19, 2018
The bookstore was always a place for so many fans to get their gear for different events and new students to get theirs as incoming freshmaN. It was a wonderful way to meet people. As the Clinique manager I also got the privilege of making women feel more beautiful by allowing them to find products that fit their factual
Types and tones. It was a fun experience.
Pros
Fun during football games and other Hokie events
Cons
Hard during back to school times and graduation saying goodbye to friends
Amazing community and workplace environment
Internship (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAOctober 26, 2018
Virginia Tech is well renowned for its volunteer service programs. I was given the opportunity to get involved in their Paleontology Preparation Laboratory, and I took it without hesitation. A typical shift involves cleaning dinosaur fossils, piecing them together, then analyzing their role in the structure of an organism.
Pros
It is a great volunteer program.
Cons
Its hours are limited.
Great First Job
Recreational Facilities Worker (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAOctober 8, 2018
For a job on a college campus, I really did learn a lot in my position. I learned the importance of great customer service, as well as, the importance of being extremely aware of your surroundings. Because it is a gym setting, you have to be so aware of what everyone in your area is doing, and be in-tune with how they are perceiving the facility at all times. Similarly, in my supervisor position, I had to be aware of how the employees working under me were interacting with the patrons.
Surprisingly dysfunctional for such a prestigious University
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAOctober 10, 2018
I am very surprised at what I have learned since I ventured onto campus some 6 years ago. During my short tenure here as an Admin, I am quite amazed at the dysfunction not only in my department but in many others. Management has not been interested in my growth as an employee. Employees are given many extra tasks without extra pay. Interns are paid more than employees. Hiring employee's (from another department) significant others. I do not feel the President nor the Vice Presidents are in touch with their constituents. I have never experienced this at any other university.
Pros
Affordable healthcare benefits, paid time off, retirement
Cons
Expensive on campus parking, Poor management, remote location of Blacksburg
VT was a great place to work!
Front Desk Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VANovember 24, 2018
I loved my time at VT. The university treats its employees very well and offers paid Staff appreciation days.
Different departments have their own culture and it is worth it to check out the department before committing to one department.
Their was always advancement opportunities and people who wish to move a lot.
mission driven
Accounts Receivable Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAAugust 15, 2018
Overall, Virginia Tech is a great place to work because there are opportunities to transfer to other departments at a higher pay; however, a lot also depends on the connection you have with your Supervisor and Manager which in my situation, I made the decision to leave after 7 years of employment.

It is very important to research jobs and really get to know if you get the feeling whether you are the best fit for that job.
Pros
good salary
Cons
miscomminication
Paid Research..... Nuff said
Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAAugust 15, 2018
Same as anywhere else your expereince depends on your adivsor. I was lucky and was on an awesome team with a great mentor who got me exposure and expereince I would have never gotten before. Even when things got hard, Virginia Tech helped me and allowed me to make it through based on my own hard work.
Pros
Always have the latest Technology at your hands
Cons
No room for advancement due to fixed income of students
Good Career Beginnings but Stagnant Growth
IT Help Desk Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJuly 28, 2018
My time at Virginia Tech was relatively positive, I feel like I gained a lot of information about myself while I was there and I had several great coworkers. That said though, It's a very clique like community and starting from the bottom and working your way up is done extremely slowly due to the nature of working in the public sector. I wouldn't recommend staying for more than 2-3 years if you're just starting your career; that said, if you already have a gainful career started and aren't going to rely on rapid growth, then this place is wonderful. The benefits were awesome and the PTO was great.
Pros
Great Benefits, Interesting Culture
Cons
Very Clique-y, Slow Job Growth
Interesting and challenging.
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VASeptember 13, 2018
The research provided detailed information that was used to compare food labels with the actual content of packaged foods. I was introduced to the team and we worked together to evaluate packaged foods and how they compared to dietary guidelines.
Pros
Academic environment
Cons
no upward mobility
Wonderful place to work, great support staff and managment
Coordinator of Women's Olympic Sports (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAAugust 20, 2018
This was one of my top 2 places to work. Coworkers and management were supportive and encouraging. The university was the town and the whole town had incredible Hokie spirit that was contagious!
Pros
Energizing atmosphere, amazing support staff, coworkers and management
Poor experience
Associate Director (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJuly 15, 2018
I was forced out of my position so my boss at the language institute could rehire her friend. I was poorly trained. I essentially ran the program for a year as she was not there. She yelled, stomped her feet and bullied me out of the position. HR supported her behavior, but that specialist quit shortly after.
Pros
Occasional free meals
Cons
Favoritism, bullying
overall good place to work
Enviromental Technician (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAOctober 19, 2018
depending on the area you worked most day were hectic and interacting with the students was always a positive experience, some supervisors were very easy to work for others were always standing over you and made it uncomfortable.
can be both challenging and rewarding
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJuly 2, 2018
graduate school is what it is - spending 8+ hours a day working on your research / teaching/ etc. It's stressful at times, slower at others, and new challenges pop up regularly. The everyday experience varies a lot based on your advisor, but there are many great faculty and staff members in the program. All you have to do is seize the opportunity.
Fun and productive work environment in the athletic department
Senior Director of Compliance and Financial Aid (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAAugust 8, 2018
Virginia Tech has a real sense of family. Everyone is willing to help out and lend a hand to get the job done. Employees are very knowledgeable in their respective areas. The office runs smoothly and the environment is fun.
Good working environment, for a student
SERVICE ASSOCIATE | Qdoba Mexican Eats (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAAugust 21, 2018
Working at Virginia Tech as a student was better than working full time. Working full time you get opportunities for advancement, but it was usually lateral, specifically in food service.
Pros
Pretty good benefits
Cons
Lateral advancement
data collector was okay
Data Collection Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAAugust 29, 2018
This job was something I needed to get through college by doing. it was boring. sat in a chair and called people and had to follow a script. Basically similar to cold calling. All calls recorded and counted. Had to meet a quota for each shift or lost your job.
Large research university,small town, with great football
Associate Head Baseball Coach (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAOctober 4, 2018
Terrible salary in certain departments, yet, a fun place to work. Upper administration not in tuned with actual costs needed to be successful until a change, then, unlimited resources.
School of Medicine
Admin (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAAugust 1, 2018
Very stressful and demanding. No room for errors or questions. Not a team oriented environment and does not care about their employees. Expected to do all work in 40 hour week but really it would require more hours but they do not pay overtime or like to give comp time.
Benefits
Cons
Limited time off

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Virginia Tech. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight