Virginia Tech Employee Reviews

Fulfilling and convenient position
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMay 26, 2018
The position only allowed 10 hours per week since it was a UTA position that ran along with my semester's academic workload. It was super convenient to be able to work a quick part-time job that reinforced my own understanding of programming while also getting compensated for it. Management was great and coworkers were nice and dependable.
Pros
VERY flexible hours, convenient, beneficial beyond a simple payment
Productive and Collaborative Place
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 24, 2018
As a graduate research/teaching assistant it's a very good place with very nice faculty members but the benefits Virginia Tech offers is much less than what the University of Michigan offers to its graduate assistantships.
Review
Graduate teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMay 24, 2018
My time working at this university was quite positive. I gained a lot of preference working in outreach and in producing and managing vegetable crops. The faculty and staff were all very helpful and encouraging.
Productive and fun place
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  VAMay 22, 2018
Research is my focus. I learned statistical modeling, econometrics, and economics. People are very nice. Also, my communication skills are improved a lot.
Food Services at VT
Student Staff (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMay 22, 2018
Although this job did provide me with experience in the food industry , the management for this job was poor. Management did not have sympathy for the student worker at all ; there have been many times when I was scheduled to work on days I had tests and projects due causing a feud between management and me. Overall this job has its benefits , but if you cannot handle pressure from management , I would not recommend this job.
workplace
Accounts Receivable Clerk II (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMay 22, 2018
Virginia Tech provides diversity and the opportunity to learn based on departments and individual schools. Depending on the department depends on your ability to be promoted or stay where you are. I feel that individuals are not recognized for their abilities unless you know the right person; and are often held back because of individual judgement and criticism. But I can only speak for myself and the workplace I was in.
benefits
Cons
lack of department management
Collaborative atmosphere
student server (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMay 22, 2018
Workplace culture was very supportive and collaborative. Learned how to work with a variety of different personality types. Hardest part of the job was the physical aspects
Once in a lifetime
Defensive Graduate Assistant Coach/Defensive Line (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMay 21, 2018
I was a graduate assistant coach which is basically an intern. I got free graduate school and a semester stipend. Got to work with some of the most talented coaches in football who were also great people. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I can only hope to work there again one day.
Pros
everything
Cons
I couldn't stay longer
Productive, fun, and welcoming workplace
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMay 16, 2018
Loved everything about my previous job. I worked at a non-profit with lovely people in a lovely atmosphere. Daily tasks were varied, which I really enjoyed.
Good work experience is dependent on supervisor
Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMay 12, 2018
I have worked with a couple of supervisors one good and the other one bad. The bad ones can make you miserable. They can intentionally isolate you, berate you and harass you.
Great students and fun atmosphere
Galipatia Mentor (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMay 12, 2018
I worked as a mentor for students at VT. I helped them prepare professional resumes and learn about interviews as well as helping them with any homework questions they had and with any emotional support they might have needed.
Fun Place, Always Busy
Maintenance Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMay 10, 2018
Its awesome, love the coworkers and management. The students are hard to deal with at times, but you manage. Also, the benefits are second to none in the area.
I was an office assistant
COE Academic Affairs Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMay 10, 2018
My job was to do whatever needed to be done from running errands to filing paper work, to contacting perspective students. It was not really demanding so I can't complain about that. The only issue I had was the low pay. However, working for the assistant Dean of Academic Affairs has its perks.
Great school and place to work
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMay 7, 2018
Virginia Tech is a great place to be! The sense of community is really evident at VT, no matter if you are a student or an employee. VT strives to challenge workers and promote diversity.
I was only a part time worker
Training Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMay 7, 2018
Working for a school can provide challenges, especially when you have your own course load to contend with. but the work was good and the people i worked with were fine as well
Great school
Graduate School Positions and Projects (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAApril 30, 2018
I have fond memories of going to school here and I also worked here while in graduate school. There were a lot of great people I met here that I'm still in touch with.
Good pay, hard hours
Student Wage, Residential and Dining Programs (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAApril 30, 2018
Pay as a student wage in dining services is decent at VT but the work is objectively harder than other jobs available to students. The compensation for this harder job is only $1 or $2 more per hour.

VT dining services needs to work at reducing the burden on dining personal by hiring more employees through offering better pay or benefits (more food for employees would attract many students with minimal cost).

It also seemed rather rude for dining services to change working hours of facilities without any communication with workers.
Pros
1 meal per shift, decent pay
Cons
Understaffed, hard work, administration does not consult with workers
Fast-paced, team-oriented workplace.
Assistant Manager of Dolci e Café in Turner Place (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAApril 27, 2018
My day typically consists of ensuring all the employees have a task in order for the shop to run smoothly and so we close properly. There's a lot of small details to take care of. I am constantly on my feet, moving around, and multitasking, and making sure everyone else is working together.

We make crepes, coffee drinks, and sell gelato. My coworkers are fun people to work with, my managers are good to work for, and I enjoy the workplace culture. I've worked there for three years and never considered quitting. It's a fair job, the employers work around students' schedules, and they are always hiring.
Pros
Good coworkers, good managers, well above minimum wage pay
Cons
Fast-paced (if that's a con)
Variable Work Environment with Experienced and Capable Employees
Housekeeping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAApril 23, 2018
Quality and professional work environment that had variable and seasonal tasks. Employees were well experienced, capable, and generally amicable. There was significant upper management bureaucracy. The Hokies are a proud community, including the staff.
Pros
Professional, Variable tasks, Experienced Employees
Cons
Bureaucracry
Excellent experience
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAApril 16, 2018
I had an excellent experience in VT in the past 6 years. I would recommend people who are interested in applying for college go there. You will learn so much and meet kind people in VT.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Virginia Tech. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight