Virginia Tech Employee Reviews

4.4
Ratings breakdown
Paid Research..... Nuff said
Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAAugust 15, 2018
Same as anywhere else your expereince depends on your adivsor. I was lucky and was on an awesome team with a great mentor who got me exposure and expereince I would have never gotten before. Even when things got hard, Virginia Tech helped me and allowed me to make it through based on my own hard work.
Pros
Always have the latest Technology at your hands
Cons
No room for advancement due to fixed income of students
mission driven
Accounts Receivable Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAAugust 15, 2018
Overall, Virginia Tech is a great place to work because there are opportunities to transfer to other departments at a higher pay; however, a lot also depends on the connection you have with your Supervisor and Manager which in my situation, I made the decision to leave after 7 years of employment.

It is very important to research jobs and really get to know if you get the feeling whether you are the best fit for that job.
Pros
good salary
Cons
miscomminication
Great place
Operations Specialist, Squires Student Center (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAAugust 13, 2018
Great place to work. Management is nice and understanding. Coworkers are very nice and hard working. Squires is a great place to work as a student. Good place.
Fun and productive work environment in the athletic department
Senior Director of Compliance and Financial Aid (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAAugust 8, 2018
Virginia Tech has a real sense of family. Everyone is willing to help out and lend a hand to get the job done. Employees are very knowledgeable in their respective areas. The office runs smoothly and the environment is fun.
School of Medicine
Admin (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAAugust 1, 2018
Very stressful and demanding. No room for errors or questions. Not a team oriented environment and does not care about their employees. Expected to do all work in 40 hour week but really it would require more hours but they do not pay overtime or like to give comp time.
Benefits
Cons
Limited time off
Good Career Beginnings but Stagnant Growth
IT Help Desk Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJuly 28, 2018
My time at Virginia Tech was relatively positive, I feel like I gained a lot of information about myself while I was there and I had several great coworkers. That said though, It's a very clique like community and starting from the bottom and working your way up is done extremely slowly due to the nature of working in the public sector. I wouldn't recommend staying for more than 2-3 years if you're just starting your career; that said, if you already have a gainful career started and aren't going to rely on rapid growth, then this place is wonderful. The benefits were awesome and the PTO was great.
Pros
Great Benefits, Interesting Culture
Cons
Very Clique-y, Slow Job Growth
Fast paced
First Cook (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJuly 25, 2018
A very multi cultural work environment. Great work environment.Plenty chances to improve and advance in your career . Even though it was fast paced it was a very delightful atmosphere with plenty of smiling faces.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Never the same break times
Poor experience
Associate Director (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJuly 15, 2018
I was forced out of my position so my boss at the language institute could rehire her friend. I was poorly trained. I essentially ran the program for a year as she was not there. She yelled, stomped her feet and bullied me out of the position. HR supported her behavior, but that specialist quit shortly after.
Pros
Occasional free meals
Cons
Favoritism, bullying
Part Time
Trades Technician III (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJuly 13, 2018
This job is part time with no room for advancement. I love what I do especially working in the lab. I would love to find a full time job in a lab, I feel that is what I am best at.
Pros
I really like working in the lab
Cons
I do not get very many hours
Great atmoshphere!
Admin and Office Spec (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJuly 9, 2018
I love the atmosphere here. The people are so helpful and friendly. I learned a lot and was able to broaden my skills and abilities. While it can be busy at times, most days are relaxed and calm.
can be both challenging and rewarding
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJuly 2, 2018
graduate school is what it is - spending 8+ hours a day working on your research / teaching/ etc. It's stressful at times, slower at others, and new challenges pop up regularly. The everyday experience varies a lot based on your advisor, but there are many great faculty and staff members in the program. All you have to do is seize the opportunity.
Depends on the department
Fiscal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJune 30, 2018
Your happiness at VT all depends on what department you are in. Some departments are wonderful others are a nightmare. It is hit or miss unfortunately. But if you are lucky enough to find a good department stay there!
Pros
Benefits and time off
Cons
Holier than though attitudes
Fun and Flexible
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJune 29, 2018
A perfect job for a hardworking, full-time college student. The opportunities for pay raises and taking on more responsibilities were abundant. Dining services created a wonderful community, and made working a pleasure.
Productive research team
Assistant Researcher of Senior Design (Former Employee) –  Virginia Tech, Blacksburg VA, 24060June 27, 2018
Flexible work time with limited constriction. Research topic are flexible as well. The topic are variable due to personal preference. The working environment is good.
All depends on the department
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJune 27, 2018
It all depends on the department as to the experience. I have been very lucky in the supervisor department. However one of the departments as a whole I will never go back to until the head is gone. The pay is not great but the benefits are great. Also, you have to pay to park.
Fun, productive
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJune 25, 2018
Collaborative, proactive, good people, amazing location, and weather. If you love nature and hiking, this is the place for you. If you have a family, especially children, probably the best place to raise kids. If you are trying to retire, then also a good place for you. Safe and clean.
Tons of busy work with little professor oversight
Lab Intern (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJune 11, 2018
I was an upperclassman trying to gain more experience in the practical sciences and laboratory environment and took on a lab internship. I was instead treated by the graduate students as if I was completely incompetent and relegated to the most menial tasks. The supervising professor never introduced himself to me either.
Good Place to Work
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJune 8, 2018
Good place to work overall. Too many different departments to make conclusions about the place as a whole. Very good STEM programs. It's important to find a professor that you like
Good student job option
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJune 7, 2018
Working in dining at Tech is a pretty nice job. Depending on where you work, you get the opportunity to work along side some really great people which always makes the shifts go by much faster. If you're a student, you can work really flexible hours, so if you need a job during the semester, I recommend it.
Summary
Food Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJune 7, 2018
Excellent place to work, I enjoyed working with people and meeting a diverse population to work with and as customers.
The most enjoyable part of my job was working with the customer's and other members of the team.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Virginia Tech. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

75%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

75%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss