Virginia Union University Employee Reviews

Director of Annual Fund (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 1, 2018
VUU was a great place to work however, once I reached a plateau and wanted to move on to see where and what I wanted to do with the rest of my career.
Union
Bookstore Attendant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 8, 2018
A typical day at work at Union bookstore is busy, a better word for that , I would say is a consistant learning experience. The hardest part about the job is , redoing students college cards if something is wrong with it. I've Iearned that many different walks of life can be come to a place where it has many possibilities.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Fun and Productive
Assistant Head Coach / Running game Cor. (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 6, 2018
It was an awseom experience. Great staff members, and an awesome culture. Small and intimate Baptist school. School has a lot of pride and prepares for the future.
Productive and fun
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Union, VAJuly 5, 2018
To communicate well in group and individual situations; to establish rapport with a wide variety of people; to design and implement experiences to meet specific established goals; and to quickly evaluate crisis situations and respond appropriately.
Slow pace
Gym Attendant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 22, 2018
Just slow pace, no incentives or opportunities for growth, the people are ok but the atmosphere can be a little more upbeat and positive. The pay could be better also.
Productive place to work
Assistance Golf Coach (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 30, 2018
A great place to work and growing environment to help and build the youths and support their education, to be a productive civilian and to get back to the community.
Not a great place to work
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 9, 2018
It's not a good place to work. The salary is very low. I have a masters degree and I don't even make $ 40,000. The culture is the students have a tendency to submit information late, and nothing is done about it. The management is new and a lot of changes have been implemented that aren't going to work due to the culture. I don't feel as though it's job security. The new management plan to outsource a lot of jobs in the near future.
Would've like to have more benefits offered.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 22, 2018
I loved working in a campus environment, however, there was no opportunity to grow within the company. VUU is a private college so pay is really non-negotiable.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
Pay
students
Residential Hall Director (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 18, 2018
working in higher education is about student development. some people that worked there didnt work for the students they worked with selfish intentions with only a few students in mind.
Pros
student growth
Cons
some management
Productive Workplace
Student Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Union, VADecember 1, 2017
I enjoyed this job, because I really enjoy helping and motivating others. My coworkers had great work ethic and they were very helpful to me. My boss was did a really good job with the employees and she was very understanding of our balance with school and work.

Want to know more about Virginia Union University?

Ask a question
Strong team spirit
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 8, 2017
Enjoyed working with the team members and fostering good relationship. Supervisor with fair and willing to listen to employees. Each employee function independently, but was able to support each other if the need arise.
Work Environment
Assistant to the Registrar (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 21, 2017
Overall, Virginia Union University is a good place to work depending on the department. The faculty and staff pool is diverse. Room for advancement is minimal.
Biased and Descriminatory
School of Arts and Sciences Computer Lab Director (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 12, 2017
This university is not a safe and secure working environment for anyone white. Because it is a historically black university your abilities and education mean nothing unless you're black. You can not file for vacation time without being given the run around to every department but the one you need, and complaints about student misuse of the lab environment falls on deaf ears.
Pros
Cons
racist managerial staff
Nice institution for higher education
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Human Resources DepartmentJuly 3, 2017
Excellent culture for higher education; private institution. The University offers great benefits. The Acting President is a professional, caring, knowledgeable man of optimal integrity. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting and helping people. The hardest part of the job currently is being micromanaged. A typical day at work would include resolving staff and faculty issues by phone, in person or by email; preparing payroll information including tax status changes, salary changes, address changes, etc.; assisting new hires with completing paperwork; attending unemployment hearings; completing employment verifications; preparing Excel spreadsheets; compiling new hire and termination reports for management; preparing disbursement vouchers; auditing bills for benefit compensation and all other projects as assigned.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No raises
Fun and exciting work place.
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 8, 2017
Virginia Union University has been a beacon of hope for countless students over the years. Serving as an academic adviser has truly been a dream come true.
Slow paced
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 31, 2017
Work study job so not much responsibility
I had to answer phones and take messages I also had to organize and answer questions
Since it was a work study job I never really had anything to do
productive work place
Students Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 22, 2017
i was able to interact with different people from different places, was able to do hands on accounting work . Learned how to process information in their data base, i answered phones, etc.
I love being a Resident Assistant
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 22, 2017
I have really enjoyed being a Resident Assistant and being able to impact the life's of the students on campus. The position has allowed me to grow as a person and I look forward to what else this position has in store for me.
Productive and safe environment with room for advancement within the organization
Director of Purchasing (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 12, 2017
A typical day at work consists of prioritizing what needs to be done and accomplishing your goals that you set for the week and the day. I always try to learn as much about the job as possible and seek opinions from my colleagues. Teamwork is an important part of any job however I have no problem working alone as needed. I love customer service and interaction with external as well as internal parties.
Pros
Holidays off, good benefits and room for advancement
Cons
Work on holidays, weekends
Virginia Union Univ.
Sports Information Director (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 14, 2017
Virginia Union Univ. has a family atmosphere that is great for the students, staff and faculty. Everyone is involved in student success and achievement.
Pros
Great culture
Cons
pay