Virginia Union University Employee Reviews

Job Deacription
IP Phone Telecommunications Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 20, 2018
Just having some issues that were not safe for employees. Did a mass layoff when new management took over. I had to go around and assist with fixing old outdated phones.
Cons
Environment
Looking for advancement
Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 3, 2018
Just looking for advancement been there a while and wanted something different for myself. Great place to work made a lot of friends but just wanted a change.
I love teaching, but not at VUU
Full-time Spanish Instructor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 29, 2018
This whole university is unorganized. They push the students along and are all about retention for the wrong reasons. They seem money-hungry. They have a very low standard in regards to the type of students they accept. I have had students who I am sure was on an eighth grade reading/writing level. I was told by a colleague that there is an unwritten rule not to fail seniors or athletes or my contract will not be renewed.
Pros
Clout of being a professor
Cons
everything else
Fun
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 10, 2018
Fun work study job to have while in school and make a little money. All people who worked in the Science office was very nice and professional. It's a very good start for new workers.
Loved the environment along with the people
CAMPUS TOUR GUIDE (Former Employee) –  Union, VAOctober 9, 2018
I learned how to open up more to people along with projecting my voice across large groups. The hardest part of the job was trying to learn the campus and the history of the campus. The most enjoyable part was seeing people smile and give them the excitement of being ready to become college students.
Recruitment Director
Assistant Director of Enrollment (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 29, 2018
Lack of structure and funding. Incompetent staff; a few loyal qualified professors. The Theology Dept is the pillar of school and reputable ministers, lawyers and other professionals have been prosperous.
Pros
Establish HBCU - Theology Dept
Cons
Short-sighted staff and administrators
Very productive and hard working staff members to make Virginia Union University great again.
Help Desk Analyst - Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Union, VAAugust 20, 2018
I learned more than what I thought I could about computers from Moses who works in the IT department. This allowed me to get hands on experience with my field of study.
Director of Annual Fund (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 1, 2018
VUU was a great place to work however, once I reached a plateau and wanted to move on to see where and what I wanted to do with the rest of my career.
Union
Bookstore Attendant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 8, 2018
A typical day at work at Union bookstore is busy, a better word for that , I would say is a consistant learning experience. The hardest part about the job is , redoing students college cards if something is wrong with it. I've Iearned that many different walks of life can be come to a place where it has many possibilities.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Fun and Productive
Assistant Head Coach / Running game Cor. (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 6, 2018
It was an awseom experience. Great staff members, and an awesome culture. Small and intimate Baptist school. School has a lot of pride and prepares for the future.
Productive and fun
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Union, VAJuly 5, 2018
To communicate well in group and individual situations; to establish rapport with a wide variety of people; to design and implement experiences to meet specific established goals; and to quickly evaluate crisis situations and respond appropriately.
Slow pace
Gym Attendant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 22, 2018
Just slow pace, no incentives or opportunities for growth, the people are ok but the atmosphere can be a little more upbeat and positive. The pay could be better also.
Productive place to work
Assistance Golf Coach (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 30, 2018
A great place to work and growing environment to help and build the youths and support their education, to be a productive civilian and to get back to the community.
Not a great place to work
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 9, 2018
It's not a good place to work. The salary is very low. I have a masters degree and I don't even make $ 40,000. The culture is the students have a tendency to submit information late, and nothing is done about it. The management is new and a lot of changes have been implemented that aren't going to work due to the culture. I don't feel as though it's job security. The new management plan to outsource a lot of jobs in the near future.
Would've like to have more benefits offered.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 22, 2018
I loved working in a campus environment, however, there was no opportunity to grow within the company. VUU is a private college so pay is really non-negotiable.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
Pay
students
Residential Hall Director (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 18, 2018
working in higher education is about student development. some people that worked there didnt work for the students they worked with selfish intentions with only a few students in mind.
Pros
student growth
Cons
some management
Productive Workplace
Student Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Union, VADecember 1, 2017
I enjoyed this job, because I really enjoy helping and motivating others. My coworkers had great work ethic and they were very helpful to me. My boss was did a really good job with the employees and she was very understanding of our balance with school and work.
Strong team spirit
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 8, 2017
Enjoyed working with the team members and fostering good relationship. Supervisor with fair and willing to listen to employees. Each employee function independently, but was able to support each other if the need arise.
Work Environment
Assistant to the Registrar (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 21, 2017
Overall, Virginia Union University is a good place to work depending on the department. The faculty and staff pool is diverse. Room for advancement is minimal.
Biased and Descriminatory
School of Arts and Sciences Computer Lab Director (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 12, 2017
This university is not a safe and secure working environment for anyone white. Because it is a historically black university your abilities and education mean nothing unless you're black. You can not file for vacation time without being given the run around to every department but the one you need, and complaints about student misuse of the lab environment falls on deaf ears.
Pros
Cons
racist managerial staff