Virginia Union University Culture reviews

The most disorganized and dangerous
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 20, 2019
I wanted to proudly work for an HBC. Hired to teach one class. By week 4 I still did not receive my contract because it had to be signed off by 7 Vice presidents. Human Resources never sought me out to sign important paperwork. I had to ask someone and seek them out. The student culture is okay. Average age of the students is 19 yrs. I had a student in my class who had been kicked out of school for violence. Reinstated because he was a decent basketball player and was confrontational and threatening other students. Administrators do not kick students out for cheating. Some students write at an 8th grade level. Students complain about horrid conditions of the dorms. I have never worked at a place where I made more than a PhD if I worked at Costco. They pay everyone who is not a vice president the lowest salary possible and sometimes if you are a yearly contract employee you may not get paid in a timely manner or have to fight to get your first check.
Pros
Some of the students are awesome and deserve better
Cons
Low pay, bad environment to work. Faculty is not respected, disorganized HR
Fun and Productive
Assistant Head Coach / Running game Cor. (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 6, 2018
It was an awseom experience. Great staff members, and an awesome culture. Small and intimate Baptist school. School has a lot of pride and prepares for the future.
Productive place to work
Assistance Golf Coach (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 30, 2018
A great place to work and growing environment to help and build the youths and support their education, to be a productive civilian and to get back to the community.
Not a great place to work
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 9, 2018
It's not a good place to work. The salary is very low. I have a masters degree and I don't even make $ 40,000. The culture is the students have a tendency to submit information late, and nothing is done about it. The management is new and a lot of changes have been implemented that aren't going to work due to the culture. I don't feel as though it's job security. The new management plan to outsource a lot of jobs in the near future.
Productive Workplace
Student Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Union, VADecember 1, 2017
I enjoyed this job, because I really enjoy helping and motivating others. My coworkers had great work ethic and they were very helpful to me. My boss was did a really good job with the employees and she was very understanding of our balance with school and work.
Strong team spirit
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 8, 2017
Enjoyed working with the team members and fostering good relationship. Supervisor with fair and willing to listen to employees. Each employee function independently, but was able to support each other if the need arise.
Nice institution for higher education
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Human Resources DepartmentJuly 3, 2017
Excellent culture for higher education; private institution. The University offers great benefits. The Acting President is a professional, caring, knowledgeable man of optimal integrity. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting and helping people. The hardest part of the job currently is being micromanaged. A typical day at work would include resolving staff and faculty issues by phone, in person or by email; preparing payroll information including tax status changes, salary changes, address changes, etc.; assisting new hires with completing paperwork; attending unemployment hearings; completing employment verifications; preparing Excel spreadsheets; compiling new hire and termination reports for management; preparing disbursement vouchers; auditing bills for benefit compensation and all other projects as assigned.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No raises
Virginia Union Univ.
Sports Information Director (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 14, 2017
Virginia Union Univ. has a family atmosphere that is great for the students, staff and faculty. Everyone is involved in student success and achievement.
Pros
Great culture
Cons
pay
Loved this place
Admissions Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 15, 2017
Great place to work for. Very family geared. A great group of people to work for. The pay is very good for the area in which the school is in. The workplace is up to date with technology. I would love to work there again.
Loving environment
Grant Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 10, 2015
Productive and fun place to work. I learned something new and informative everyday. All the employees were very nice and everyone got along well with each other. Management was amazing, very loving and trustworthy.
Great work place
Telecommunications Specialist (Current Employee) –  Union, VAJanuary 6, 2015
great place to work love it here co workers are great campus is great bosses are great .Everyone is working toward a common goal. Great employee cafeteria .ten paid days off during the Christmas holiday when the school is closed
Good Diverse Work Environment
Dean's List - Freshman thru Senior year (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 21, 2014
I learned there are many avenues to gain information. The university was a great motivation to be successful.
Work study position
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 11, 2013
A very chill, relaxed and benefical enviorment to be employeed at. i worked as a work study student at the time I was a student there and absolutely loved it!
Fun workplace plus great travel experiance
Basketball Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 27, 2012
I had fun comin to work everybody because it was in a field i loved with people i liked to be around.
great place to work
Student Activities work-study Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 18, 2012
a typical day at work was to assists my boss in duties that needed to be done around the office. I learned a lot of cerical work that would help me in the long run with my B.A. degree in Entreprenuerial Management. My co- workers were great, they were people that i knew over the years while i attended Virginia Union University. the hardets part of the job was trying to fit my school work within my breaks and cheerleading practice as well. The most enjoyable part was getting to work with people that you see everyday and learning at the same time.
Pros
great experience
Cons
didnt really have any