Visionworks Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Love the people
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 24, 2018
Over the years this company has turned in to a high pressure sales job to where we are more concerned about talking care of our patients needs. I love the people I work with as co workers & the patients I help.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
No set schedule
They are definitely about the $1
Retail Manager / Optician (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAMay 23, 2018
I was let go after 3 1/2 years. Me and another girl were there from the opening of the store. We were in the management role more than not. We went months without a manager. There were only 3 of us there to run the store for months and it was very, very busy with only 3 people there it was stressful and hard to manage to get a day off from a 6 day work week and several hours of over time. We left having a great manager - however the company decided to "down size". We had no warning what so ever when they let us go - so shell shock was an understatement.
Pros
Any job is going to be what you make of it.
Cons
If you were lab - you could do anything that you wanted to and get away with it.
Good entry level job
O.D. Technician (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 19, 2018
A good place to work if you would like to gain experience in the medical field. You learn a lot on a daily basis and the culture is pretty good. It;s a professional setting, but fun to work at. Has its cons like every job, but not the worst place to work.
Pros
Great benefits, good work life balance, flexible
Cons
Need better training programs for employees
sales
Apprentice Optician (Former Employee) –  Niskayuna, NYMay 17, 2018
Much more retail than a healthcare facility. The public treats us like any other place to shop and don't value the doctors services, which bothers me. I am happy that I had the opportunity to advance myself and make more money.
Pros
self advancement
Cons
retail hours
you must work weekends
OD Technician (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAMay 11, 2018
the job was good I learned a lot but I didn't get properly trained. Im a quick learner so I had to learn as I go. the dr. is always double booked though and it add stress to the job
A Shift at Visionworks
Eyewear Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 8, 2018
A typical day at work entailed verifying customer insurances, confirming appointments, filing paperwork, and dispensing/selling glasses. Educating patients on materials covered by their insurance was an initial challenge but quickly overcome. Fellow employees were always great people to work with.
Productive and a fun place to work.
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 7, 2018
Coeworkers are great to work with, everyone is a team player. Always have something to do . Time flies by when we are busy. The store flow is great. We do get some hard customers to deal with but they usually always end up leaving happy. Customer service is our priority, and we deliver that. The pay is great! I believe it is fair. We can wear any solid color shirts now. I have been with this company for 4 1/2 years now and it gets better every year. Good benefits also . I highly recommend working here. I got promoted pretty quickly also.
Pros
Great pay and benefits and also Free glasses
Cons
Hard to schedule employees to charted hours.
Stressful
Lead Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Trexlertown, PAMay 7, 2018
Always being reminded to get jobs completed and out of the lab on time or before due dates. Had some good training from supervisors. Management could be better and more thankful toward team players. Stressful and fast moving. Hard trying to keep up with quotas and numbers expected by managers and corporate. The most satisfying part of the job was children reactions to their new glasses and how well they could see.
Pros
Free eyeglasses and exams
Cons
Underpaid, consideration for new positions
Management is full of false promises
General Manager/Mentor Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 23, 2018
Upper management was terrible and everyone was looking to stab you in the back. Ownership changed so often that they were always asking us to do a fire drill and hit a moving target. Always set up for failure.
Good, honest work, lacking good leadership
Lab manager for the East Washington St. location (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 22, 2018
I am currently looking for a new career opportunity due to the direction my current company is taking. I still believe in providing excellent customer service and not rush people into decisions.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
Poor company direction
great job
OD Technician (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 13, 2018
in general is a great job, its fast paced and theres a lot of things you have to know in order to be helpful and it gets kind of overwhelming at times. Pay is pretty good. The hours are longer and my position requires a lot of time on your feet which takes a toll by the end of the day. Pretesting, scheduling, checking insurance, selling and ordering stock, answering phones, being able to self direct is definitely needed to be successful.
Pros
vision benefits, nice pay, kind staff, easily adaptable
Cons
long hours, a lot to remember and learn
low pay for expectations
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  floatingApril 12, 2018
Visionworks' motto is The most frames, the best people, and the right price. However it's hard to have the best people when none of them feel they are being paid adequately! There was also a laundry list of sales pressures put on the retail associates in a market that could not support the kind of growth Visionworks was expecting. Firstly, Visionworks, learn to do your marketing properly PRIOR to opening a new market! Don't expect your employees to do marketing outside of the store for you when that is not their job, that's why you pay for marketing professionals...use them appropriately. Nuf said
Pros
The people I worked with were great
Fun place to work, and great way to learn a new career
Retail Supervisor (Assistant Store Manager) (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 12, 2018
They train you extensively on optics. The doctors work with the staff and everyone gets along. Great company culture. I have many friends from my time there with whom I still associate.
Pros
EXTENSIVE training and great culture.
Cons
Low pay. Everyone is PT except manager and assistant manager
Third Key Manager (Former Employee) –  McDonough, GAMarch 30, 2018
Management was awful, be prepared to be harassed, work the worst shifts and never have any paid time off approved. was completely unprofessional. Even the territory director was a liar and a flake
Sell fast move on
LAB SUPERVISOR & RETAIL SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Palm harbor, FLMarch 25, 2018
Love the company. However new changes this year gives full timers 30 to34 hrs a wk., as a supervisor my pay has be reduced significantly monthly because of this change. New directors want more for less. I personally can not afford this.
Pros
Free eye exam and glasses. Great benefits
Cons
Don’t take your years of experience into consideration for pay
Good place to work, but work, life balance can be very difficult
General Manager (Current Employee) –  TexasMarch 24, 2018
Company has good benefits, but work, life balance can be difficult due long hours. Also company should invest in payroll to help improve training for new associates with no
Optical experience.
Benefits
Cons
Work, life balance can be difficult
Hard work and face paced
Eyewear Specialist (Current Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNMarch 23, 2018
great environment. A very face paced place to work and always busy. Management was awesome. They would help others when need and help out with sells if others are struggling.
Fast pace & muliti tasking company
Receptionist/Optician Tech (Current Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDMarch 22, 2018
I have worked there for 14 yrs doing the same job. The turn over rate is this company is very high. Management & staff. It may be the reason why they have so many complaints from customers.
Pros
Cons
Vacation time & sick leave
basic sales job
RETAIL SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 15, 2018
all job training is given and it is an alright place to work. good experience with sales and working with doctors if you want to get your foot in the door for medical experience
Little to no career advancement
Laboratory Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MIMarch 14, 2018
Was laid off during peak season so the company could pay for billboard advertisements. Since then, the quality of the product has been tremendously impacted, and the stress placed on the remaining staff has been increased ten-fold.
Pros
Discounted Eyewear, Benefits, Decent amount of PTO
Cons
Short breaks, only cares about the bottom line