Visionworks Employee Reviews

Not the Greatest Place to Work
OD Technician (Current Employee) –  United StatesOctober 17, 2018
It seems that everyone is on your side with training and they try to build you up to be a good sales person, but in the end they want to take the credit for themselves when you, yourself, have done the work.

There isn't much expected of you at first, however, some people tend to lose their cool and quit, which may lead to a promotion for you, or it may be the promise of one that you'll never get. Management is okay within the store, upper management is the real problem. No one knows what they're doing and they are always unfair towards your goal, making the room to grow very minimal.
Pros
Commission is a bonus
Cons
Unpaid breaks
loved working there, should have never left.
OD Technician (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 15, 2018
great place to work in my opinion. this company was very good. the people I worked with were great people who worked well together while at work. highly recommended.
Terrible place to work run !!!!!!!
Stonecrest, GA Optometric Technician (Former Employee) –  Lithonia, GAOctober 15, 2018
I've been working at Visionworks for Years it has been a nightmare ever since I started working there. The management team is very unprofessional and we haven't had a general manger for 5 months or more. The supervisor makes the work place VERY Uncomfortable !
Pros
Paid sick time
Cons
Mangement team
Prior Job
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 15, 2018
As a general manager, coaching employees and planning daily business. Touch bases with Doctors to discuss daily plan and exam book. Company offers quality products, and a great sales training program.
Pros
enjoy the people
Cons
meeting metrics
Unprofessional staff, terrible pay
Technician (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FloridaOctober 13, 2018
I worked with the company as an OD TECH for two years. The cost of living is high. I could barely pay rent with my salary. I was not allowed to take time off when I wanted to. If you have family, do NOT work here. They are not flexible with taking time off around holidays to be with family. All of the staff were lazy and gossipy. The company expects the doctor side to do twice as much work and do retail side's job but get paid $10 an hour or less. You rarely ever work 40 hours a week because the company cuts corners does not want to pay employees. This company does not care about their employees and will force you out if you don't work yourself like a slave. They will deny you vavation time even if you earned it at the drop of a hat. There has been numerous staff misconduct they ignore because the staff can "sell glasses" so they are a "good a set to the company." If you are a hard worker, they recognize that and make you do a lazy persons job who gets paid more than you do. Raises are awful. Do NOT ever work here.
Pros
Health benefits, 401 K
Cons
Awful Staff, poor management, awful hours, low pay, poor training, overworked
Amazing place to work!
OD Technician (Former Employee) –  North Miami Beach, FLOctober 9, 2018
I worked in Miami area, the average patients seen in a day was around 10 patients for one doctor. It was mainly elderly folks and families that came to us. The company is great to work with, it's relaxed but fast-paced. Loved it!
The best part is the free glasses.
Receiver (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 5, 2018
Everyone is cool to work with. Overall everyone tries to help each other out. Need to be flexible as you will be shifted from department to department depending on the need for the day.
Enjoyed working here
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COOctober 4, 2018
Visionworks was very instrumental in my management career path. I was given the opportunity for management which molded my future career. I would work for this company again.
good company, bad management
Eyewear Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILOctober 2, 2018
No matter how many times you report the manager to HR for misconduct, profiling, or harassment, they do nothing. 3 out of 5 of us left within a two week period.
Poor work life balance.
Retail Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 1, 2018
Unfortunately they don’t promote within the same store. They make you move to a different location. Also many months are blacked out so you can’t even take vacation when you want to. Also vacation does not roll over. Use it or lose it. Also customers notice that we don’t have enough employees, because the company doesn’t give you enough hours to staff the stores.
Pros
Commission
Cons
No good training program. It’s all over the place.
Strong Belief That customer Service is the Most important.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILSeptember 28, 2018
They Value the Customer . As I Do.
Company belief that as is mine that all people to feel welcome and
Appreciated. Without The customer coming in door we have no business.
Strong Support of Staff and Doctors.
Pros
Very Positive Company
Cons
Always Short Staffed.
Fun Atmosphere and great management
Optometric Technician/Sales (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNSeptember 19, 2018
Ive worked for visionworks for four years and really appreciate the flexibility in my work schedule with college. The manager does a great job giving opportunities to employees to grow and advance their skill sets
Stressful job but rewarding
Utilization Rep (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 17, 2018
This company office was new to the San Antonio area and encompassed a large area. My day started at 7:00 and ended at 7:30 in the evening and this included Saturdays. I did not learn anything that I didn't already know. The culture was horrible and I was asked to spy on fellow employees and monitor their comings and goings. This was a very easy job, the hours were difficult. I had a nice paycheck but couldn't enjoy it. I loved the contact with optometrist offices.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
far too much work due to back log
Great place to develop, but once a GM not much more to advance without relocating
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, TXSeptember 16, 2018
Great new CEO the company is going places. They love to promote from within. The ladder is Eyewear Specialist, part time 3rd keyholder, full time 3rd key holder, Retail Supervisor, General Manager, Territory Director. Visionworks has over 700 locations nationwide.
Pros
Free Vision Plan, free eyewear, 401k, Vacation and Personal Days
Cons
After General Manager not much growth without relocating
It’s fine if you don’t have a family
Retail Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHSeptember 15, 2018
I have a family and I miss a lot!! I have to close the store at 9 pm at least 2 times a week. I’m here every Saturday and have been since 2006. I also now have to work some Sundays. And the healthcare benefits suck.
Pros
You can make some money
Cons
Short breaks health care sucks and they have late hours and weekend hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 14, 2018
the people I worked with were not really interested in helping each other out. It was really like a shark tank at feeding time. They only cared about how many sales they could make. I’m
Vision works
Optical Lab Manager (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYSeptember 11, 2018
I loved working in the lab! The management I had was rude hateful talked down to everyone! It’s very fast paced and always running behind you can never get help when needed and your request for days off always rejected.
Fast paced environment, with continuous opportunities to expand your knowledge in the optical field.
MANUFACTURING SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 10, 2018
Ensured the team met production goals set forth by the management while maintaining quality in order to get the customers their eye wear in a timely manner. With most of the management having many years of experience, I was able to grow and build my own knowledge with their help and guidance. The values and culture in the company are followed and maintained throughout with the management adhering to the policies and standards set by the company. The most rewarding part of the job was witnessing first hand how the associates continued to succeed and grow within the company.
Pros
1 hour lunch, full benefits and 401K, possibility of advancement
Licensed Optician (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NYAugust 30, 2018
Higher management is in another state than where I work,which can be a challenge. Have some blackout times, which means no vacation or PTO can be used. Especially during Christmas week and back to school time. Supposed to be family oriented company, doesn't seem that way to most. Mostly a great company. Have many opportunities to advance. Great benefits likes vision, dental and medical, not too expensive either compared to most.
Pros
Advancement opportunities
Cons
Some play favorites
Horrible experience with corporate optometry
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INAugust 29, 2018
New CEO, multiple changes, no patient care, all money driven. Hours are inconsistent even for management and inexperienced staff make for a difficult environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Visionworks. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about