Visionworks Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Greensburg, PAJuly 18, 2018
Great place to work. Good training programs, career development programs and talented mentor managers. Get to meet lots of great peolpe, associates and customers alike.
Good company to hold threw high school
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rockwall, TXJuly 15, 2018
I worked for visionworks for a little less then a year and my experience there changed the way my life is run. In life you can focus on your job and work hard or you can be lazy and not work well visionworks has too many of the lazy people there.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Overpriced
No recognition, nor growth within the company
Optometric Technician (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNJuly 11, 2018
Does not deserve a review. Toxic environment and favoritism trumps all else. The lowest employee moral of any company that I have ever had the opportunity to work for.
Not a medical office, just glorified retail
Eyewear Specialist (Former Employee) –  Murray, UTJuly 11, 2018
Competitive work, everyone is fighting for commision and all they talk about is work. Literally their only conversations are about work. It's insane. It drove me nuts. I also was promised during my interview (which, by the way, is the weirdest interview I've ever had) that I would work as a technician full time, but they wanted to hire me on as an eyewear specialist part time as it was their starting position for new employees. My strengths were as a technician, not a sales person, and I honestly sucked at it. They also don't care whatsoever about the patients. All they see in the patients is what's in their wallets. I wanted to work in a medical field, and ended up in retail.
Interesting place to work.
Contact Lens Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cheektowaga, NYJuly 9, 2018
Not a bad place to work. Very relaxed environment. Guaranteed 2 days off per week. Management works with your schedule as much as possible. They offer on-site training.
Pros
Closed on sundays, store closes at 7:00pm at the latest.
Cons
EVERYTHING is seniority based.
Short staffed, over-worked
Optometric Technician (Current Employee) –  United StatesJuly 5, 2018
I love my job and the people who I work with. However, corporate tries to push 3 exams per hour (4 per hour is "ideal") which rushes the doctors and barely gives them any time to sit down with their patients. This is a very busy location. Always short staffed and with pushing so many exams per hour, retail employees are rushing with their customers to get to the line of people waiting to be helped. Techs are required to go outside of what is in their job description to make up for being short staffed. Almost never get out on time and overtime is a no-no.
Pros
People I work with
Cons
Pay, hours, management
Worse management I ever experienced in over 25 years of working
Quality Leader (Former Employee) –  Richland Hill Dr. San Antonio, TX 78245July 2, 2018
Working their is like smoking pot. The more you suck the higher you get. Focused more on quantity while ignoring quality which constantly allow inferior products to be shipped to customers. Managers completely incompetent when it comes to management. All managers hired on friendship bases, not merit, education or experiences. Seeing how I work in quality I'd never by glasses from them. Way over priced, rarely delivered on time, plus quality sucks.
Pros
Cons
Leadership
OK place to work to get experience
3rd Key/Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 28, 2018
Get ready for long hours and no a lot of support from management on anything. This was my first time in optics and optical sales, and there needs to be more training on the optics side; not JUST the sales side.
Fun enviroment
Third Key Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mansfield, TXJune 27, 2018
love workplace
great management team
great morals as a company
need better benefits
opportunity for growth
training/development classes available
flexible schedule
fast paced
Eyewear Specialist (Current Employee) –  Buford, GAJune 25, 2018
Located in MOG so you work mall hours an are required to work weekends. Gets really busy and overwhelming at times. Great benefits and discounts on glasses
Pros
vision benefits
Cons
required to work on weekends
good for part time not full time
Eyewear Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXJune 21, 2018
the company is good if you are looking for a part time job and school at the same time, but if you are looking for full time they rarely offer you that. You dont really get full benefits because they dont want to give full time positions just part time.
Pros
free vision insurance
Cons
not enough hours
Poor company with poor direction and culture
Retail Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOJune 12, 2018
Its a sales job. Almost entirely. They invest in the employees that make the most money for the company, regardless of your position in the store. If the retail manager makes less sales than the best sales optician, then the optician's opinion carries more weight with upper management. Lab can treat people how they want, customers included, because they dont have to be out on the sales floor helping people. Culture is competitive, but not in a healthy way. End result is usually poor customer service. If you have an ethical mind, dont bother. The expectation is that you help everyone, even if you dont tell them why they are spending so much money on glasses. They just need to a pair. Or two. Or even three if you can make it happen. And if you prove that you can make it happen, they then decide you have to do that with every customer, as if everyone out there wants 2 or 3 pairs of glasses and doesn't know it. Craziest place I've ever worked, and I'll never go back.
Pros
Paid time off, hourly plus commission pay is good, free glasses annually
Cons
Everything else
Poor management and poor work/home life balance
General Manager (GM) (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 8, 2018
In the short time that I've been here, there have been so many chchanges I've lost count. My payroll got cut. My staff got cut. Do this, but don't do that. It's very difficult to know who to trust.
Pros
Good PTO and vacation time if you can actually take the time off
Cons
Poor culture and direction
Mediocre place to work.
Optometry Technician (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 8, 2018
There are no benefits until you've worked a year and all that you get are five paid days off and you had to take them all at once or lose them. There are no sick days and the insurance is not worth the pay loss.
Management is poorly executed and they do not accept mental illness as any other illness and will in fact penalize you if you allow it to be known that you were mentally ill.
Pros
Paid lunch
Cons
Thirty minute lunch, understaffed, underpaid, intolerance to illness.
Productive and fun work enviroment
Optometric Technician (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VAJune 6, 2018
Great job to learn and grow interpersonal and teamwork skills! Multitasking is one of the main skill sets you will learn! Learning teamwork and customer service will also benefit you long term.
The worst
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJune 4, 2018
Worst job i ever had the manager would not worl with you on anything and everything was self taught and when i would ask for help they look at you and say well i taught myself
okay
Eyewear specialist (Former Employee) –  Fishers, INJune 1, 2018
Never knowing what they want!! every day after you worked all day doing something they wanted the day before, they would come in and change their mind.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Love the people
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 24, 2018
Over the years this company has turned in to a high pressure sales job to where we are more concerned about talking care of our patients needs. I love the people I work with as co workers & the patients I help.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
No set schedule
They are definitely about the $1
Retail Manager / Optician (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAMay 23, 2018
I was let go after 3 1/2 years. Me and another girl were there from the opening of the store. We were in the management role more than not. We went months without a manager. There were only 3 of us there to run the store for months and it was very, very busy with only 3 people there it was stressful and hard to manage to get a day off from a 6 day work week and several hours of over time. We left having a great manager - however the company decided to "down size". We had no warning what so ever when they let us go - so shell shock was an understatement.
Pros
Any job is going to be what you make of it.
Cons
If you were lab - you could do anything that you wanted to and get away with it.
Good entry level job
O.D. Technician (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 19, 2018
A good place to work if you would like to gain experience in the medical field. You learn a lot on a daily basis and the culture is pretty good. It;s a professional setting, but fun to work at. Has its cons like every job, but not the worst place to work.
Pros
Great benefits, good work life balance, flexible
Cons
Need better training programs for employees