Visionworks Employee Reviews

New Leadership making questionable descisions
District Technical Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 18, 2019
I had been with visionworks since 2007, however the most recent change in leadership has lead to the company making decisions I cannot agree with.

They eliminated the District Lab Manager position and began slowly eliminating all onsite labs. They are cutting hours and demanding more work from fewer people. Customer service has suffered as well as the employees now looking for work. They transferred me to a location over 100 miles from my home with no choice and no benefit other than keeping my job.
Not enough pay for the amount of work you have to do
EYEWEAR SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJanuary 16, 2019
verifying customers insurance
helping customers was the best part of this job
i learned how to read eye glass prescriptions
also how to do important measurements for the customers eyewear
Loved working with the doctors, horrible management
THIRD KEY OPTOMETRIC TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILJanuary 9, 2019
A lot of turn over with the company. Work environment reminded me of high school, different people had their one group. Management was horrible. Low pay.
Pros
Great doctors to learn from
Cons
management, low pay
Flexible fun place to work.
3rd Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Cordova, TNJanuary 2, 2019
Over all I enjoyed working for the company. I gained great experience. However the hours weren’t consistent and there were time when you you have no help And expected to run everything.
Very competitive
Eyewear Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces NMJanuary 2, 2019
My experience at Visionworks was short lived. My manager wrote me up for making “false accusations about my GM” when she would go and start drama with every employee in the store. She was very unprofessional. I would not recommend working here. Even the other employees are very competitive, rude and not willing to help you in the learning process.
Pros
Free eyewear & insurance
Quantity not quality
Licensed Optician/Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairlawn, OHDecember 23, 2018
The focus was always on units. They didn't care about quality. They cared about quantity. This is shown by the reluctance to update antiquated machinery to manufacture lenses. The tools provided to do the job were almost always the lowest quality available. The regional manager would create unnecessary situations requiring many employees to travel to far away stores and would not compensate for time or mileage. The lack of support from the company does create a great employee camaraderie of us against them. To be the best regardless of what the company does or doesnt do to hold you back.
Pros
Coworkers, eyeglass discounts, decent pay, lots of store options
Cons
Inferior product, early unorganized meetings, antiquated tools / equipment, lack of support
Could have been better
Lab Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 21, 2018
I worked here as a Lab Supervisor, I learned a lot and the staff was overall pretty welcoming. Sometimes I regret quitting this job, but hey, you live and you learn. I think the issue with this was the timing. the store I worked at had all new members of management, including me. I think the higher up managers were unexperienced and lacked training. I personally received great training from another lab supervisor. Eventually they moved people around and we received a veteran GM to our store. He was great, but he was tough. He expected you to do your job, so in return a lot of people did not like him. Ultimately, he was fired because some associates who didn't like him all planned to lie to HR and made some ridiculous accusations against him. When they let him go, I quit too. I just felt like the whole situation was not handled the way it should have been, and that Visionworks was letting some unexperienced and irresponsible people run their business. I often wonder what it would have been like if I were to stick it out, maybe it could have gotten better. Overall the job was great, but the environment I was in was not.
Pros
pay, flexibility, training
Cons
needs to do more extensive background checks on its employee's
It’s cool
Eyewear Specialist (Current Employee) –  Antioch, TNDecember 19, 2018
It’s cool for what I’m doing right now. Staying with my parents and paying off students losns. And still have money to hang out with my friends and do other stuff
Pros
Free glasses
Cons
Getting off at 6 on Saturday if that really a con
Hit your numbers and patient service is not important
General Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 18, 2018
Upper management is so full of themselves. Most conversations is a celebration of how good they are and why they are the boss. Putting others down.
Everything is fine as long you are a yes man.
Your training is all about patient and customer experience. When you hit the floor is metrics. No maner customers needs or wants. If they have a returning customer that has always purchase one fully featured good pair of glasses you are expected to downgrade customer to get multiple pairs.
No job security DM fire people for made up reasons no check and balances.

The lab manager is forced to sacrifice quality for quantity Poor customers pay good money and sometimes get product not to standard
Pros
Ok pay for management.
Cons
Pay is not good for associates. Metric driven putting patient experience second
Great people to work with cruddy company to work for
OPTOMETRIC TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 17, 2018
I worked in all 3 locations in Albuquerque and at every place I knew at least 1 person from every store that had known me since I was a kid. My main store I worked at I worked with the most people that knew me so I loved working with my coworkers.

The reason I said it is a cruddy company to work for because I worked there a little over 2 years and when I started there I took a pay cut from my job before. As well as I was hired on as part time which I wanted a full time position and wasnt given that position until almost 2 years into working there and after I got back from maternity leave (which I was not paid for since I was part time).
Pros
Discounts given to employees
Cons
They didnt promote me to full time until after I had my son and spent 8 weeks unpaid maternity leave
If you like corporate...
Optometric Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 13, 2018
Overall it was a great place to work. The turnoff for me is the corporate attitude of sell sell sell, and the pressure to make quotas each month. It was good to offer sales to patients who don't have a lot of money.
Pros
Salary plus commission
Cons
Corporate
You have to be there yourself
Updater (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 29, 2018
It takes time to settling in. If you work hard you will get the hang of it. But if you need help it will be hard to get info on your station. I am talking about the manufacturer and distribution facility.
Pros
You get your moneys worth
Cons
It is hard to get new materials
A great place to build a career
GENERAL MANAGER/MARKET MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 17, 2018
Only because I am a workaholic do I not always have work, life balance. However, we are encouraged strongly to not overload ourselves. We are not micro managed and as Gms we have our own Business within a Business to run. Excellent benefits. Constant training opportunities as well as structured mentorship programs. Come onboard, you will see exactly why I rate this company a 5.
Pros
compensation package, training, growth potential
Cons
No tuition reimbursement for optical related studies other than ABO test fees
Working at Visionworks
Eye Wear Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Hills, PA 15236November 14, 2018
My experience at visionworks was very challenging at time. There was not a who lot of training. They through you into the fire and you either sank or swim. They would promise you hours and change there minds and make up alot of excuses. The people were really nice that I worked with and even the Doctors were very friendly and knowable.
Pros
Friendly people to work with.
Cons
Not enough hours to give you in a week.
Extremely uncomfortable
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Batavia, NYNovember 13, 2018
Did not offer proper training for me, threw me right in without knowing anything. Management is terrible and mostly everyone who works there is stuck up. Only liked one person there. I would ask questions and co workers would get annoyed and not give me a proper response.. How am I supposed to learn anything then?? Treated me like I was slow and made me feel very uncomfortable and not included. Watch your back if you work here because as soon as you leave for the day, the remaining employees talk about you, and not nicely! Witnessed it first hand and felt bad that they are getting away with it. None of them are all that nice with customers either. Everyone is basically miserable everyday. Would walk in and not get greeted and would take a few hours for someone to even acknowledge me. Manager always found a way to hide when it would get busy, would be found in the back, playing on his phone. Terrible place to work at and made me anxious not knowing what to expect everyday. They don't even have a proper office for the manager, I was fired while standing in the eye glass lab. So unprofessional.
Upward bound
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALNovember 12, 2018
This company is going and will launch you in the right direction.
Great plan for success. Friendly family environment. Great benefits fair pay and outstanding leadership. Commission plus salary and available spliffs always opportunities to grow.
Pros
Great rewards, contests and acknowledgements. Vacation and pto and commission
Terrible management
Retail Supervisor (Former Employee) –  USNovember 6, 2018
Watch your back. Even a long time employee will get plotted on and lied about to get them terminated if they don't conform to the wrong doings of certain gm/favorite associate combos. I have never dealt with so much drama and he said/she said in a workplace.
Pros
Most drs are good
Cons
Drama
visionworks
Retail Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 4, 2018
Its a fun place to work at you learn alot and the company pushes you to your full potential. What I do here is i work with patents help them pick out a nice pair of glasses that are very stylish and goes very well with them and there face.
The location that I worked at, in the Willowbrook Commons, was very friendly, kind, and respected my medical needs.
Optician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX 77070October 29, 2018
Everybody was very sweet and very patient with me and my medical issues. Management was always there when you needed them to be and helped with anything that you needed help with. Patients were satisfied and so were employees.
Pros
Relax Phil with family environment, at least at my location, and positive criticism to push you to do your best.
Cons
Sometimes you may not get a lunch break because it gets so busy, but that's retail.
Satisfactory
Eye Wear Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 28, 2018
I started working for the company in Houston, TX and transferred to Denver, Colorado for school. Ability to transfer as was a huge plus. In both locations, there was s high turnover in management. There was issue with advancement and a lot of pressure from district on the managers which trickled down to all levels. The job itself was very rewarding and the extra pay for sells was a great incentive

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Visionworks. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight