Visiting Nurse Service of New York Employee Reviews

a normal day at the office
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 4, 2018
A typical day at work is there is always something to do. I love this job because my coworkers are good team players. And if you want to transfer to a different department there is no problem as long as you qualify for the position.
Avoid at all costs
Physician (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYSeptember 25, 2018
This organization is pure slime. Administrators are out for themselves. Way too many secrets are kept and there is no respect paid to the workers. New hires have even fewer benefits offered than before. Disgusting!
Pros
Cons
horrible organization
A 100-year legacy of nursing integrity down the toilet
Case manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 22, 2018
Nurses who value quality patient care—which usually requires more than a 20 minute visit—are considered “losers” because they make 5-6 visits per day (bring in less money) instead of 8-9 visits. Upper management gleefully celebrates and high-gives when the number of enrolled hospice patients rises to a new high—so insensitive and blinded by greed they don’t see the overwhelming amount of human suffering and loss behind the numbers. Up until about 2010, the Visiting Nurse Service had a revered legacy built on its long history of true nursing excellence. Since then, business people who see sick and vulnerable patients as a goldmine to tap into have been in charge. The number of people in management, along with their salaries, has grown while nurses were laid off, leaving their nurse colleagues with a 50% increase in workload, but not a 50% increase in salary. Medicare fraud and shady dealings abound—if the original nurse founders could see what their organization has become they’d be mortified and appalled.
Pros
Many of the field nurses and social workers are good people
Cons
Extremely toxic, stressful environment
Learned so much working here that I would have never learned before
Program Assistant/Medical Biller (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2018
Learned so much working here that I would have never learned before I was happy to make bonds with the families and participate in events and activities that enriched the lives of so many.
Pros
Families are amazing
Cons
Very Busy
workplace
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 13, 2018
I really like the opportunity given to work from home while talking care my daughter and dog. Once a week is required to work at the office. At the office, co workers, supervisors and managers are friendly and helpful.
great benefits
Senior intake Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 11, 2018
great benefits, will keep you busy. great work life balance. learned a lot about healthcare politics and business. Great location in the heart of Manhattan.
Pros
free lunch sometime
I don't like VNSNY
Family Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 30, 2018
High Stress, great team to work with, days can be crazy especially when you have to run all over manhattan in heat waves and storms. If I had known what this job was like beforehand I would have never taken it. Low pay, tons of paperwork
Pros
Great co-workers, 30 days PTO
Cons
travelling all over the city to see clients, HIGH Stress, Low pay, no real room for advancement, no raises. They deduct hours for lunch even when you don't take one
over all
Business Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2018
not a bad place to work for but they are changing and job duties change but the pay rate is the same. like with every job if you do your work you have no issues.
Productive & fun place
Community Event Assistant / Driver (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 2, 2018
Very pleased with visiting nurse service of New York , very outgoing and productive company , learned a lot through out the years , very nice experience
Stressful environment
Business Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 30, 2018
Management never listeins to employees ideas or comments and intimidate you if you disagree with anything. Company is dis organized and there is a lack of communication
Cons
Lack of good leadership
Cut Throat Environment
Contract Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 18, 2018
I was warned by a few individuals that this company has a reputation of treating their employees bad. However I wanted to have my own experience and opinion of them. Although the environment is casual they are still cut throated. Management is a major disappointment and often times don't know what they're doing. But this isn't the case for everyone. I am grateful for my experience with this company but it is not a comfortable place to work at. At the end of the day you are not valued or appreciated as an employee. Most people give the pretense they are courteous and professional but certain actions reveal the opposite.
Pros
Company discounts, dress down Fridays
Cons
Not enough pay for the aggravation
Contact Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 13, 2018
Vns has been apart of my journey. It has been a big part of my families stability and journey. I have learned so much from being at Vnsny for twenty years.
Valued cultures in caring services
Mobile Crisis Management Services (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 10, 2018
supportive management, great experiences, knowledgeable management and coworker. work culture good. Fast environment and encouraging others to improve.
Pros
great experiencing, learning opportunity, and knowledgeable.
Cons
pay is okay, benefit fair.
Negative
Clinical Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 25, 2018
Clinical staff worked hard and were dedicated to our patients. Unfortunately, non-clinical senior management were not. Prior to my departure, senior clinical management of nursing left. After I left all remaining Clinical managers left due to unrealistic expectations of CEO that were considered by middle management as unrealistic and was confirmed by consulting firm.
vns
Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 24, 2018
Greeted customers and made sure they were comfortable during their visit
Provided customer service in-person and telephonically
Scheduled appointments
Maintained office filing
Processed payments for services provided
Good Company
medical coder (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 10, 2018
Great supervisors and staff all were willing to help when ever needed. The work environment was little fast paced but always helpful. The training was not enough.
Leadership Styles and Their Impact on Patient Outcome
Home Health RN Coordinator of Care (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 21, 2018
Improve population health in the communities served by managing and providing care across entire various ethnic groups, identifying and examining the impact of diseases on societies, and promoting wellness across a broad range of community settings.
Pros
as a caregivers I formed close bonds within the communities
Official response from Visiting Nurse Service of New York
March 26, 2018

Thank you for your review! VNSNY employs a variety of Population Health Management initiatives, including value-based purchasing, bundled payments, and chronic care management, - all built around risk stratification and predictive modeling. This past January, the newest cohort of VNSNY RNs began the Population Care Coordinator Program. The two-day orientation covered areas of Health Behavior and Motivational Interviewing, Population Care Coordination in the Changing Health System, Evidence-Based Practice, and the Role of PCCP Education in VNSNY.

could improve
Provider Relations Representative (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMarch 8, 2018
A typical day is causal but adherence holds weight over actual quality of work. I commute from new jersey so the pressure is a lot more intense. I am grateful for the position because it taught me a lot but i would advise the company to ease up on adherence (not complaining about being 1-5 minutes late) when an individual is trying and is a consistent HARD worker.
Pros
you learn alot
Cons
instead of being applauded for meeting the standard you're just expected to work harder
fantastic experience
Organizational Development Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 21, 2018
VNSNY has a very humanistic culture where the managers manage by example and the culture is very collaborative and transparent. The level of professionalism is very high.
very good years ago
Intake (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 25, 2018
many changes over the years
compensation / benefits changed
culture has changed w/ CEO etc
enjoyed helping patients
overall good placed but job security is up in the air

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Visiting Nurse Service of New York. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

3.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight