Visiting Nurse Service of New York
67Average

Visiting Nurse Service of New York Employee Reviews

United States297 reviews
I had an unusual experience working with some patients who were bordering on being dangerously mentally ill. I was sent to some sketchy housing projects with poor cell phone reception inside to boot. I think this job gave me PTSD. This was over ten years ago, however. I hope things have changed for the better.
Speaking from 5 years of experience, I should say that the best highlight of working for the company was it’s benefits. Forget about all you learned in nursing school about compassion, humanity and basic patient care. Every decision you will make as a nurse, will feel like a business transaction. My priority was to save company money, at the patient’s expense, regardless of department you work in VNSNY. Often, offering solutions to patients, as per management instructions, that were so absolutely horrible and inhuman. The management truly does not care about your opinion or feedback. They are busy re-creating work flows and processed on a weekly basis, that will make your head spin. It got to a point where you had to give up common sense and rational thinking and just do what they say. That pretty much sums is up, a culture where you have to fit in, put your head down and carry out a mission for VNSNY, to make them grow and make them money. Oh, last thing.. the bonuses are only awarded to management, if you are a regular, non union employee, forget about any form of incentives, recognition, bonuses or raises, except for a plastic lunch box or a towel with VNSNY logo on it. Management creates its own rules on vacation and PTO approvals, impossible to take time off during summer or vintner holidays. Typical corporative environment, at its worse, a modern form of slavery.
Benefits
Cons
No job satisfaction, useless bureaucratic processes that change every week, lack of recognition, often incompetent, under qualified management hired due to personal acquaintances or favors
I enjoyed working at VNS. They provided a positive working environment. Management was fair open door policy. Very helpful in teaching you the job. Room for advancement. Tuition reimbursement offered.
VNSNY is a wonderful place to work. The managers and supervisors are very supportive and everyone genuinely cares immensely about the clients and patients that we serve
Good work environment, a lot of support from your supervisors, option to grow within the company. Constant training and staff improvements. High commitment to the community.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
It was an ok place to work. I my supervisor at the time wasn't all that professional. He always made comments that made me and other feel uncomfortable. he always reminded us that if our jobs and his job was on the line he would make sure he isn't the one getting fired.
VNSNY is not perfect but I do feel they are one of the top agencies to work for. They take pride in the care provided to patients and families and they create a solid foundation for their employees.
Pros
Some of the staff/teams are great to work with. It feels like a family away from home.
Cons
At times there is a lack of transparency when it comes to decisions that affect staff.
Excellent company to work for. Diverse and friendly people. Staffs cooperate with each other. There is coordination among staffs which makes it easier to deliver care.
Working at VNSNY CHOICE was an exciting time of my credentialing career. while you alway have a productive day, it was fun to work for the organization sunce you always have a sense of belonging there.
Pros
excellent management
Cons
N/a
Incredible paper documentation. You work like a salesman and delivery person. You can't predict the danger you will walk into when you visit homes. You Learn about all kinds family and living situations . The hardest for me was walking flight of steps with work instruments of a lap-top computer, baby weight scale and adult scale, baby items that broke my shoulders and my back. Talk less of driving without a parking permit in the city. My car also suffered damages while loading and unloading baby cots, play-pens, strollers etc.
The enjoyable parts of my job was having to see healthy babies born, parents going back to school and focusing on their goals. I also enjoyed advocating, and navigating services for new immigrants. I loved my patients dearly and I miss them. In other for me to continue to give my best to my patients, I had to leave as I started to have shoulder and back pain. I will do it again, if VNS.NFP can resolve most of the above stated issues.
Pros
Great Team work with Nurses.
Cons
Unnecessary and redundant paper work., Salesman and delivery attitude
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Visiting Nurse Service of New York?
For my honest opinion, this is the worst place to work. You are over worked that is what a typical work day is like. Stressful, ignored, and down right awful. I would never recommend working for this company. The department I worked for only hired either family friends, cousins, or relatives (same religion) as well as same age, some of these employees were married. Only the SAME SAME SAME employees were recognized and rewarded. This meant there was never a raise, never a compliment or a pat on the back, only fear was the workplace culture. At one point some of the managers felt as if they were entitled to yell at you. Worst company ever. I would never recommend it.
This company practices nepotism, and other unethical criteria for promotion. Poor opportunities for advancement ; often hires unqualified individuals.
Great team work. In my everyday work, i communicate with my manager, nurse and other disciplines in order to provide a quality care. Patient's care is our priority. Manager's are always there for support.
Good working environment, good and supportive coworkers. Great compensation and benefits. If you are looking for a carreer in homecare VNS is the place.
a lot of work very busy. Nice people. Nice location. Company is 2 blocks from Grand Central Station in nyc. Nice building. I like its mission and values also. Comany is doing well financially.
My experience with VNS was phenomenal! I learned so much from my coworkers and supv. and developed so many skills to being a great case manager. It was great working with seniors! The company cared a lot about there employees and I enjoyed going into work everyday. Work-life balance was great and the pay and benefits were great.
A professional wasteland “run” by incompetent and sociopathic management. Save your sanity.

Genesis 19:26 “But Lot’s wife looked back and she became a pillar of salt.”

Don’t be Lot’s wife!
Leadership is strong and have built a good team; Goals and strategies of the organization are shared. Opportunity exists to learn new things and work across departments; strong effort to break down silos across the organization.

Sometimes there is a short-term outlook, when the pressure is on getting the immediate job done.

The organization lives its mission. Colleagues that are like family; many are with the organization for 20+ years - this is inspiring.
I applied for VNSNY based on their reputation. There has been a lot changes and it is no longer a desirable place of employment. They are abusive to the field staff, and use tactics to overburden the nurses and then throw them to the wolves if anything negative occurs.
I manage, support and implemented the network infrastructure across all sites through out all 5 New York boroughs. a very dynamic work environment. the agency continuously were granted new State programs which demanded a changing network environment.
Population Health Department Care manager/UM manager.
Potential new hires please avoid these positions and this department at all costs!!! If you are currently interviewing with VNSNY or plan to apply for these care management/UM manager positions please ask HR and get in writing which department you are interviewing for. If it is the population health department run in the opposite direction as fast as you can! This is not an exaggeration or a joke. This is a fair warning. You will be completely sabotaging your career if you come to this department not to mention participating in healthcare fraud and placing your license at risk. The management was completely inadequate, incompetent, useless, petty, punitive and micromanaged beyond anything I had ever experienced in my near 40 years of employment. They were dishonest, vile and deceptive and the HR department covered their lies and inadequacies constantly. The work loads were completely unrealistic to the point where care managers were unable to handle the amount of new assignments we would get on a daily basis and many of our patients were never being contacted or managed. These concerns were repeatedly expressed to management and nothing was ever done to remedy the situation and make things manageable for any of us and ultimately the patients were the ones who suffered. Regardless, more contracts continued to be signed for pop health bringing in even more business. This was potentially fraud which management was completely aware of and yet did nothing aside from welcome new contracts in. There was no established
 - more...
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Visiting Nurse Service of New York. Our community is ready to answer.
Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.