Visiting Nurse Service of New York Employee Reviews

Constant changes
Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 11, 2019
Too many changes with policies,documentation, supervisors and caseloads, but the salary does not change. The environment is stressful and the staff seems unhappy which become contagious.
Pros
Vacation time
Cons
Salary, caseload and culture
Very bad management
Field Rep (Current Employee) –  New yorkFebruary 10, 2019
Needs better management.. Vns overall is a good place to work, the poor change in management has pushed lots of long term employees to find.other jobs. Employees walk on eggs shells so they can provide for their families..
Pros
Cons
Poor management
Excellent company to work for. My immediate supervisors wete great.
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 31, 2018
Each day at VNS I spoke to ovet 40 patients, patient's family membets, nurses. coordinators, billers, payroll drpt staff and othrr professionals. This wad a multicultural environment, whete I learned how to handle diffetent ethnicticities.
Pros
Multicultutal
Cons
Patients family, with inabilitirs to adapt to change.
Shaky situation
Healthcare field nurse (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 22, 2018
Worked there for many years as per diem and a full time employee, and when it was time to cut staff it was scrupulously done. Sudden and without a care about staff morale, the organization cared only about correcting their tarnished image to CMS. The managers had no say in defending staff outlook. Whatever corporate office said goes, the managers had no choice but to act selfish and inconsiderate. Culture st organization deteriorated drastically after Medicare scandals. I do not recommend anyone to invest their time with this organization. No longevity there.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Time constraint to submit documents
Current Employee-P
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 10, 2018
I'm currently a Program Assistant for two programs in the company. Before that, I was an Admin Assistant II. Each division is different, I have heard and had good and bad experiences. Some higher ups are better than others.
benefits
Cons
personality clashes
Overworked and under appreciated
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 1, 2018
VNS overworked its employees for little pay. You would think because you used your own car to drive to clients (sometimes 30 minutes apart) you'd be paid for the drive time.. nope. Only paid time was when you were in a clients home. The only upside to that was gas mileage but if you were striving for a 40 hr work week your day would start 8am and wouldnt end until 8 pm.
It was a struggle working for this company for barely over the minimum wage
Pros
Meeting and caring for clients
Cons
Management, pay, failure to understand employees needs
Management is hostile and unproductive
Business Development Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 13, 2018
I did not enjoy my time here, had a horrible experience that makes me never want to work in corporate america. Management was condescending and rude, which created a negative work environment.
Largest HomeCare Nursing Care in NYC
Clinical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  NYC, NYOctober 27, 2018
Provides home care services throughout the Metropolitan area, with specialties, such as COPD, hospice, heart-failure, diabetes. Utilizes EMR systems documentation distance communications.
Pros
Largest Homecare Nursing Corporation NYC
Cons
Competitive environment
a normal day at the office
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 4, 2018
A typical day at work is there is always something to do. I love this job because my coworkers are good team players. And if you want to transfer to a different department there is no problem as long as you qualify for the position.
Avoid at all costs
Physician (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYSeptember 25, 2018
This organization is pure slime. Administrators are out for themselves. Way too many secrets are kept and there is no respect paid to the workers. New hires have even fewer benefits offered than before. Disgusting!
Pros
Cons
horrible organization
A 100-year legacy of nursing integrity down the toilet
Case manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 22, 2018
Nurses who value quality patient care—which usually requires more than a 20 minute visit—are considered “losers” because they make 5-6 visits per day (bring in less money) instead of 8-9 visits. Upper management gleefully celebrates and high-gives when the number of enrolled hospice patients rises to a new high—so insensitive and blinded by greed they don’t see the overwhelming amount of human suffering and loss behind the numbers. Up until about 2010, the Visiting Nurse Service had a revered legacy built on its long history of true nursing excellence. Since then, business people who see sick and vulnerable patients as a goldmine to tap into have been in charge. The number of people in management, along with their salaries, has grown while nurses were laid off, leaving their nurse colleagues with a 50% increase in workload, but not a 50% increase in salary. Medicare fraud and shady dealings abound—if the original nurse founders could see what their organization has become they’d be mortified and appalled.
Pros
Many of the field nurses and social workers are good people
Cons
Extremely toxic, stressful environment
Learned so much working here that I would have never learned before
Program Assistant/Medical Biller (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2018
Learned so much working here that I would have never learned before I was happy to make bonds with the families and participate in events and activities that enriched the lives of so many.
Pros
Families are amazing
Cons
Very Busy
workplace
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 13, 2018
I really like the opportunity given to work from home while talking care my daughter and dog. Once a week is required to work at the office. At the office, co workers, supervisors and managers are friendly and helpful.
great benefits
Senior intake Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 11, 2018
great benefits, will keep you busy. great work life balance. learned a lot about healthcare politics and business. Great location in the heart of Manhattan.
Pros
free lunch sometime
I don't like VNSNY
Family Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 30, 2018
High Stress, great team to work with, days can be crazy especially when you have to run all over manhattan in heat waves and storms. If I had known what this job was like beforehand I would have never taken it. Low pay, tons of paperwork
Pros
Great co-workers, 30 days PTO
Cons
travelling all over the city to see clients, HIGH Stress, Low pay, no real room for advancement, no raises. They deduct hours for lunch even when you don't take one
over all
Business Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2018
not a bad place to work for but they are changing and job duties change but the pay rate is the same. like with every job if you do your work you have no issues.
Productive & fun place
Community Event Assistant / Driver (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 2, 2018
Very pleased with visiting nurse service of New York , very outgoing and productive company , learned a lot through out the years , very nice experience
Stressful environment
Business Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 30, 2018
Management never listeins to employees ideas or comments and intimidate you if you disagree with anything. Company is dis organized and there is a lack of communication
Cons
Lack of good leadership
Cut Throat Environment
Contract Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 18, 2018
I was warned by a few individuals that this company has a reputation of treating their employees bad. However I wanted to have my own experience and opinion of them. Although the environment is casual they are still cut throated. Management is a major disappointment and often times don't know what they're doing. But this isn't the case for everyone. I am grateful for my experience with this company but it is not a comfortable place to work at. At the end of the day you are not valued or appreciated as an employee. Most people give the pretense they are courteous and professional but certain actions reveal the opposite.
Pros
Company discounts, dress down Fridays
Cons
Not enough pay for the aggravation
Contact Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 13, 2018
Vns has been apart of my journey. It has been a big part of my families stability and journey. I have learned so much from being at Vnsny for twenty years.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Visiting Nurse Service of New York. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss