Vista Outdoor Employee Reviews

2.8
Ratings breakdown
Understanding people and easy to work with. Like the lab work.
Contract Tech Pro (Former Employee) –  Anoka, MNJuly 9, 2018
Would have worked their longer if it was a direct to hire position and paid more.
Environment was noise needed to wear hearing protection.
Learned how to hardness test and section without mounting.
Hardest part of job was the commute and distance from parking to work area in winter.
Pros
Liked my direct boss and one over boss. Work was fun.
Cons
Contract was not for permanent employment.
Good place
Recieving (Former Employee) –  Rantoul, ILJune 18, 2018
I enjoyed.working here. It was a good work environment with good training. I had a really good supervisor and good equipment to use. Also had a good clean and well maintained work area.
Pay not worth the culture and environment
Project Manager III (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMay 16, 2018
The company is in the midst of major change with a new CEO, and desegregation. Many layoffs, leaving everyone feeling worried for their job. Culture is very poor and there is hardly any accountability for doing one's job. Many shortcuts are taken as the product developers despise process.
Hopefully the new President and CEO can turn things around!
Pros
good pay
Cons
culture, work ethic
Do Not work here
Charger Operator (Former Employee) –  Anoka, MNApril 11, 2018
They just Laid 200 some people off in October and without even calling anyone back they are hiring new employees. It's not going to last they do this on a regular basis where they hire a bunch of new employees get cheap work for a year or 2 while there's fear of Gun Control then once the fear is gone they'll just lay off the new hires and start the process over again. The people with seniority hardly work and don't check the quality of the product because they know there not going anywhere regardless . The new guys bust there a** and constantly check quality but since it's seniority based so they don't care how hard you work.
Pros
Good pay but not really considering the amount of lead exposure
Cons
Cut throat, poor work conditions
Employee and Management
Information Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaMarch 28, 2018
I work at this place for few years (Full Time). Managerial changes occur very often . You can be let go at anytime. I don't know if this place will ever get better. They let go many good employees
Pros
Okay place to work
Cons
Management need some work
Great place to work, especially if you like the outdoors.
Western US Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Western Territory (13 states)March 10, 2018
Vista is a great place to work. I enjoy it because it allows me to work hard and travel throughout the West. Great people. Current industry outlook may force a cut to sales positions. They will lose a great employee who loves his job.
Pros
People. Outdoor related.
Cons
Large. Sometimes things happen slowly.
Challenging and productive, great benifits
Injection molding set-up technician 2 (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, MTFebruary 28, 2018
Company is always looking to bring in more product to maintain stability of machines. The people are friendly and you can build long lasting relationships with your co-workers and managers. The managers really care about their team.
work place
Assembler II Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Lewiston, IDFebruary 15, 2018
overly stressful while in the position, terrible work conditions, hazardous environment, lack of management, cut-throat colleges, no job advancements,
Pros
discounts
Cons
no advancements
Nice place, average benefits, no communication from the top down
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSFebruary 7, 2018
I enjoyed working here and ran into issues with their HR during an illness. There was zero communication and I got so much conflicting information which made the whole situation worse. Prior to that there were long hours but an overall lack of direction given to teams. A growing company that lacks a clear direction. They seem to still be coming up with a game plan and learning on the fly. They’ve had a number of different CEOs and it seems like there is high turnover constantly. They do control great brands, pay well, and have a great employee discount program. Not a terrible place to work but I’m glad I moved on.
Pros
Employee discounts, great brands, pay well
Cons
Disorganized, High Turnover, Lack of clarity on strategy and benefits
Overall great place to work.
Assembly Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Lewiston, IDFebruary 7, 2018
The work is hard but the pay and benefits make it worth it. The ability to transfer departments makes the company more versatile but seniority plays a role in advancements which doesn't always mean the best candidate receives the position.
"A relatively new venture headed in a very positive direction"
Talent Acquisition Sourcer (Current Employee) –  Anoka, MNFebruary 2, 2018
Pros

While the company has experienced the typical pains associated with building a new organization, new leadership and a keen focus on brand building is steering this ship in the right direction. One of the greatest benefits of working here is the chance to influence and shape the policies and practices that will take the company to the next level.

Cons

As mentioned, the company has gone through growing pains and is still determining what makes sense to manage centrally vs. at a local level. The good news is that leadership has shown an amazing willingness to listen to managers’ and employees’ thoughts on these questions and their input is helping shape the future.
Pros
Great brands, discounts, 9/80 schedule
Cons
Startup growing pains
Passionate people, dysfunctional management an corporate structure
VP (Former Employee) –  Anoka, MNJanuary 28, 2018
Overall an ok place. People are passionate, management does not place a high value on “people”. Pretty dysfunctional senior management right now as they have over paid for companies acquired over the last few years.
Love the place
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Rantoul, ILJanuary 27, 2018
I want to find a better job that will work with me and my family. I have learned nothing stays the same as when it was bell sports. The most enjoyable part about my job was working with my boss.
Pros
wonderful boss
Cons
short breaks
Great place to work for in terms of rest
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Rantoul, ILDecember 27, 2017
Best place to work for long carrier and lazy people because of the work environment, policies, paid time off, observance of holidays and so on... They allow listening to music,drink something during work hours, sitting on chairs...
Pros
3 days off
Cons
No overtimes
Used to be fun, not anymore
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSDecember 20, 2017
I used to really enjoy working at Vista/ Bushnell in Olathe, but new management changes, poor leadership, and constant mandatory overtime made it absolutely terrible. We are currently on mandatory 10 hour days until further notice and including Saturdays. There is no end in sight. One thing worth mentioning is that the people I do work with are incredible. I enjoy getting through the crummy work hours with them. But new management is garbage right now. If they don't change their ways it will only get worse. I hope you mouth breathers up top see this. A lot of us are burnt out and miserable. Stop exploiting the people who make your gears spin.
Pros
Benefits day one ONLY if hired directly, good staff, can buy pto
Cons
No job security if you're a temp, bad management, brutal mandatory overtime, bad communication, very inflexible with others' schedules
Great coworkers and positive attitudes!
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Lewiston, IDDecember 10, 2017
To start with the minute you are hired you recieve full benifits which is incredible. I was fortunate enough to land my position and placement in the Speer factory in Lewiston and I was put on the Weekend Day Shift Crew. I couldnt be happier with my coworkers and my leadership. Nevsr before have I been this happy to go to work
Pros
Great Pay, benefits, rewards, discounts, coworkers and management
Cons
Could use a TV in the smokeroom!!
great outdoor company
Tooling Engineer/Stress Engineer (Current Employee) –  Lewiston, IDNovember 19, 2017
The business cycle is scary which is causing people to start looking else where. The state of the company is sketchy right now so long term employment is questionable. If the market was solid I would stay.
Pros
great for hunting supplies
Cons
not time to go
Terrible environment
Server (Current Employee) –  Farmington, UTNovember 2, 2017
Upper management is terrible! They hold on to everything and don't release to the lower downs to complete work. Everyone is a VP or Director. Would never recommend this company to anyone. Poor Sales. If they talk about good sales or show you data its from 2016.
Pros
Flexible with Family needs, free pop and snacks
Cons
Eliminating benefits and very little recognition
Company with great potential
Executive Level (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSOctober 29, 2017
I came into Vista at a bad time, with the ammunition market dropping off drastically after the election. They have a great house of brands, just need time to get the strategy together of how to best market them together.
Pros
Great People, Good Pay
Cons
Stressful Environment, Difficult Market Place
poor management, no room for advancement unless managers quit.
Warehouse Specialist/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Rantoul, ILOctober 25, 2017
Was disrespected by fellow employees on a regular basis, and when brought to the attention of supervisors, and HR nothing was done about the problems.