Vitalant Employee Reviews

Basic job
Lab Technician II (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TXDecember 7, 2018
Work feels redundant and you're really only a cog in a corporate machine. The managers are very petty and spiteful. Recent corporate restructuring. Don't trust anyone you work with about anything personal, it WILL be used against you later. Benefits were good, but limited. The culture can be quite toxic at times. If you have anything at a Bachelor's degree or higher, you'll be better off working somewhere with real opportunity for advancement. The turnover rate here will burn you out.
Pros
Benefits (kinda), Pto
Cons
Rampant pettiness, untrustworthy managers
Heart in the right place, but their actions tell a different tale.
Phlebotomist Technician (Former Employee) –  Montvale, NJDecember 15, 2018
You travel to various sites around New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and New York. You unload and reload a truck. You assemble the equipment in the location. You work crazy hours, and will be lucky to get a 15 minute break. You are often understaffed and will have to pick up the slack. Please help the drivers, they work hard and truly need support.

Work atmosphere is a dog-eat-dog-culture. Bad attitudes, exhausted workers which may be why the attitudes are so poor.

Otherwise, my advice, find those few people that fit you persona and watch what you say because word spreads fast.
Pros
Travel Reimbursement practically was its own wage - tons of traveling.
Cons
Lots of talk, very little helpful change. Bully culture. Must travel to NY, all of NJ, and PA.
Awful workplace with lots of pettiness
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  AZDecember 3, 2018
Vitalant is the new name of United Blood Services/Blood Systems. Management laid off all experienced supervisors and hired new from outside the company (cheaper labor). Staff are expected to work long, inconsistent shifts and days including holidays. Management is rude and can’t be bothered. No job security due to cyclical lay offs. Closed AZ lab and outsourced work to other states. A lot like being in high school again. Lots of gossiping, backbiting, and sleeping around on the mobiles. Really mean to new staff. I heard a lot "they eat their young". Worst place I've ever worked.
Poor Work Life Balance
Donor Recruitment Representative (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 25, 2019
Be prepared to work long hours. A lot of weekends and holidays required. Poor management you are left on your own. A lot of politics between departments.
decent place to work
Donor Care Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Harlingen, TX 78550December 12, 2018
everything varies from day to day. some slow days some hectic. the worst part is the scheduling. It is constantly changing and sometimes with little to no notice. Very hard to have a personal/family life.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
short lunch, very little opportunity for advancement
Stay away
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CADecember 6, 2018
Don't even think about working here. I was here for 14 years. Company sold 3 times.They work thier staff to death, they want you to work allmost every weekend, you never get 2 days in a row off. The management bully's staff because all they care about is thier bonus. They also harass the doners into doing double red cell donations. This company should be ashamed of themselves. I will never donate blood to them and nither should you. The management here are the worst. They don't Know thier job or your job. They come in at 8 and go home at 3 while the staff is out there for 12 to 14 hours. I was a model employee for 13 years no write ups. The last year they wrote me up 4 times for petty things. This is how they operate. Management bully's staff. They will not you voice your opinion. The people in charge of the scheduling don't have a clue. You will start work at 4 am regularly on Sunday and then 11am the next day. I not only had to do my job but I would have to constantly talk to the scheduling department to fix schedule because they screwed it up every week. This place is the worst. Stay away.
If you believe in what your making a difference then this is the place to work because you truly are
Donor Technician/Cytopherysis Technician II (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMay 30, 2018
This place was an amazing place for me start out my life of being a phlebotomist. It was fun and I really enjoyed the cause. I liked to travel I loved the promotions they came up with and most of all I loved the Donors.

The pay was excellent and the people who work there have been there forever, they really treated their employees good.

It was my favorite job in my lifetime for sure.
Pros
Excellent benefits, Meet great people in the community, The cause is the most wonderful thing to help save lives is meaningful
Cons
They are tough about paying attention to details it means a lot to a unit of blood, which saves lives.
Fast past, usually fun
Donor Care Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYDecember 4, 2018
Close knit environment. This had its ups and downs. Unless you were center staff, your schedule could and often would change weekly. The benefits when I worked there were amazing! Really good health insurance. I enjoyed my time working there, however; work and home life had a hard separation. I often felt married to this job, and didn't have much time for anything else. Great for a single person! Not so great for someone with young children.
Team oriented and inspiring work place
Hospital Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXAugust 27, 2018
I came from a mainly retail background. When I joined I was overwhelmed but UBS had a great work training program and many highly informative staff that helped me understand the working of the blood process from doners to patients. Management encouraged me to explore more areas that UBS offered and go back to get a higher education. On call shifts was my hardest challenge but the knowing I was potentially saving a life with my blood delivers made up for those sleepless nights.
Pros
Overtime, team orientation
Cons
On call
productive
ASST DONOR CARE SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 12, 2018
no set schedules with very good pay, there are some advancements opportunities but not much to choose from unless changing to different department. Management has changed over time.
Pros
pay
Pretty good
Director of Sales (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDDecember 12, 2018
The industry in blood banking is changing so much. If you are getting hired as front line workers you will travel a lot. It is rewarding and you can make good money. Management and merges have caused issues with strong management team that was once there.
Medical Technologist I (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 31, 2019
Friendly environment, great management, flexible with your schedule , my job is my second home. Originally were life blood coworkers that’s here have decades of experience.
A lot of traveling to do and is required
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYOctober 22, 2018
A typical week at United Blood services required traveling,taking donors blood and making sure donors information was kept confidential.benefits good
Pros
Meals paid for
Cons
short breaks, gone from family monday-friday
rewarding
Donor Care Specialist III (Former Employee) –  TexasSeptember 5, 2018
Working for UBS made me feel rewarded. I took pride in my job and what it stood for. I always felt appreciated. The company did well for promoting within. The hardest part was the hours and travel. The most enjoyable part was the coworkers and donors. They made the long hours worth it.
Pros
helping others
Cons
long hours and some heavy lifting
Poor management, inner politics....
Driver - Hospital Services (Former Employee) –  Montvale, NJJuly 7, 2018
The training was poor with a zero tolerance for mistakes at 12.50 an hourly wage for driving long distance to deliver blood. Constantly monitored and tracked through vehicle GPS and key fob. Management always suspicious. Fellow employees are miserable and marginal.
They pay you $12.50 an hour to deliver a bag of donated blood that they turn around and sell to hospitals at a rate of $213.00!
Pros
Driving
Cons
Low wages, poor management, unappreciative atmosphere....
What could be better
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Montvale, NJJune 11, 2018
Needs a new training department. Need more per -dem hours. Mileage reburstment could be raised to state regulations. Needs more employees. Monthly gas credits for perfect attendance.
An excellent Healthcare job
Hospital Services Technician III (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJuly 2, 2018
If you want to work in healthcare, but don't have the education to get into clinical work, blood donation is a great field to get into. United Blood Services was very good job. I did work extremely odd hours, such is the nature of healthcare, but I was well compensated for it. The work environment was wonderful, and the benefits were great.
Pros
good pay and benefits for the area
Cons
tons of on-call and overtime (in my position)
Great
Donor Recruitment Field Rep (Former Employee) –  Tupelo, MSSeptember 19, 2018
This was my first real job out of college and it was a great place to learn and grow. The experience is one that helped to catapult my career in account development and sales.
helping the community save lives
Donor Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 3, 2018
Vitalant formally known as United Blood Services is working to become a better organization. It has a long way to go. The internal and external customer service has a lot of work that needs to be done. The moral of most of the employees is very low.
Pros
Education reimbursement
Cons
No quality of life, No balance of work and home life, low morale
Largest nonprofit transfusion medicine organization.
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Fair Oaks, CAJanuary 24, 2019
Vitlant helps people understand the impact their blood donation has to those in need. Vitalant gives families the hope for survival and a second chance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vitalant. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight