Vitamin World Employee Reviews for Store Manager

Low pay for a lot of work
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Mebane, NCSeptember 24, 2018
Pay is no where near where it needs to be. The company is struggling financially but still pays for a district and regional manger that is no longer needed. They should get rid of the over abundance of corporate staff and invest in the talent in the few stores they have left. No focus on customers at all, constantly found myself and customers having the same complaints about the company. So if the customers aren't happy and the staff in the stores aren't happy your business will fail.
Pros
Product discounts
Cons
too many too list here
Not Worth the Headache
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLSeptember 19, 2018
If you enjoy a fast paced work day do not apply here. Besides that the upper management sucks and doesn't care about you. The store I work in is falling apart and has problems daily and you can call your DM or Corporate all you want but it will just fall on deaf ears. I've had the same issue in my store happening for over a year now and still nothing is being done about it.

The pay for the store manager position is absolute garbage, and don't get your hopes up on ever seeing your yearly raise.

You get zero sick days and what vacation days you do get are a hassle to try and take. You also have black out dates where you aren't allowed to take vacation from October - December. They expect you to take your vacation days or you lose them but than give you hassle when you try to take them.

The business itself is so outdated and ancient, and they care way to much about the things.
every location is different
Store Manager/ Nutritional Advisor (Former Employee) –  Burlington, WAJune 1, 2018
my time spent at vitamin world was very interesting. the location i worked in was always changing and very unreliable. as a 2nd assistant manger( keyholder), the manager who hired me was very unprofessional. soon after i was hired she was relocated and the 2nd manager who was in charge of the store was very experienced but the store was always under staffed. when i took over managing the store the store location was still very understaffed due to mainly location and reputation. while managing this location the corporate aspect of the business was very unreliable and did not treat the store staff as equal as the headquarters staff.
Pros
very easy place to work if you are a good study
Cons
corporate is not equal.
vw
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Boardman, OHMay 19, 2018
average in all areas, its ok to work at for awhile, pay isn't very good and they got rid of the good commission levels and a lot of the bonus incentives. Lots of stores closing.
Fun, fast-paced, very knowledgeable work place
STORE MANAGER/NUTRITIONAL ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, PAApril 24, 2018
This has always been a favorite job of mine in the past. I learned so much about nutrition, vitamins, and supplements while I worked here. Working with the public can be both easy and hard but in the end, I found it to be rewarding.
Poorly managed
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTApril 23, 2018
Too many sales coupons and price changes, managers were quitting right and left. Bad training for new managers.

Stores were outdated and had customers confused with member and regular pricing..

Upper management was not supportive and store were understaffed most of the time
Pros
discount on products
Cons
poor hiring process, low foot traffic
FUN and Boring
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INMarch 1, 2018
When there was things to do it was great the time flew by, and I loved it but at times I could be kind of boring too. More times than not I stayed busy cleaning and straightening my store.
At first it was great then we got bought out.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, TNFebruary 23, 2018
It was a great place to work until we got bought out.
Corporate does not care about their employee's.
They lied to us on many occasions. They told me several times my store would not close then let me know we were to close in two months and ended up closing down in one month.
decent job
Hanover Maryland - Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDFebruary 15, 2018
fun learning
good marketing material
lack systems
need better work flow
great staff
Fun and exciting in the beginning but very unstable after the company got bought out
Store Manager & Nutritional Advisor (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAFebruary 7, 2018
Ever since the company separated from NBTY, it has gone down hill. No stability since bankruptcy has been filed and tons of false promises been made but no one follows through.
Pros
excellent employee discount
Cons
too much micro managing by the company
bad management, too many sales
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTFebruary 4, 2018
Vitamin world was poorly managed, went thru 3 district managers when I was there for about a year,

Did not keep up with current trends, too many sales and constant price changes outdated computer systems and no upper management support! products did not move had to compete with
more updated stores like GNC

Stores are all closed now went out of business about a month ago
had liquidation sales
Pros
good benefits
Cons
poor management outdated machines and merchandise
non productive....
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulare, CAJanuary 29, 2018
The days where what you made out of them.I was stressful at times do to the lack of education with product knowledge of associates. The constant shift of management made it complicated to offer better assistance to customers as well as associate.
Good work environment
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Brea, CAJanuary 26, 2018
Good work environment great benefits and compensation for employees. Typical day including managing business finding ways to bring in more customer and helping increase sales. Constant communication with District manager either via phone or email. constant training and development of employees.
Pros
benifits
Cons
Communication
inconsistant
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Howell, MIJanuary 20, 2018
customer service
Crisis management,
multi task oriented,
work under pressure
versatile in a changing environment.
Proactive out of box advertising.
Full store operations: Open/close procedures, banking, merchandising, scheduling, recruiting, inventory, shipping and receiving.
The world of retail not at its best
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 16, 2018
Retail.... Do I really need to give a review? SPLH, ADS quotas.... Never enough. I pride myself on my work ethic, unfortunately even that was not enough...
Good Pay and Benefits, but Poor Management
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Niles, OHDecember 5, 2017
During my tenure at Vitamin World, I saw many positives, as well as negatives. As with any retail job, the hours are inconsistent, and sometimes lead to a lack of work/life balance. However, my biggest complaint was the disconnect between upper management and store level management. Even as store managers, our District Manager did not allow us to do our own hiring, nor did she act as if our input had any value. The upper management here micromanages to almost a ridiculous extent, and they do not have any professional candor.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Poor treatment from upper management
Business closed
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Uniontown, PANovember 30, 2017
Business filed bankruptcy and closed all store or I would still be employed with them. Started out as a retailer then Asst Manager to Manager in a 3 year interval.
Sadly retail is not the same
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARNovember 27, 2017
The company is A vitamin supplement company that has unfortunately fallen on hard times as other brick and mortar stores have.
I enjoyed my job. It was a way to impact customers in a positive manner.
Pros
Employee discounts and benefits
Cons
Company clsoing stores and has filed banruptcy
Lack of money forced me to look for another job
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 25, 2017
There was a a very low pay rate working at this retail chain. I spent three years working to become a manager. I needed another challenge to stimulate my mind and make more money,
Pros
discounted supplements
Cons
i had to work holidays
Its Ok
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDNovember 25, 2017
It is an alright place to work. Great starter place to start working. Advancing in the job is slow and not really rewarding. Other than that the pay is great for an entry level job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vitamin World. Our community is ready to answer.