VITAS Healthcare Employee Reviews

Great learning environment
MSW Clinical Intern (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 24, 2018
My time at VITAS has offered me with a multitude of opportunities that have allowed me to begin my career as a hospice social worker. VITAS utilizes interdisciplinary teams to provide holistic care to their patients and families in terms of palliative care.
It was one of my biggest challenges in the work place.
After hours PHONE CENTER SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMay 21, 2018
It started out ok, stressful and confusion was soon to follow. I asked to go to the Midwest for training and was sent for one week, it all went well. When I returned, I felt more confident but my co-worker was envious and started to cause confusion. I like the challenge of the work but I have no tolerance for absolute foolishness. HR refused to put an end to it and I was forced to resign for health reasons.
Pros
the functions of an afterhour call center was interesting
Cons
the foolishness outweighed the positive.
Fun work environment
Patient Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Miramar, FLMay 16, 2018
Being able to help patients and families is a great experience. Management is helpful when issues arise. We have a very diverse workplace and that makes it all the more fun to work in. The hardest part of the job is working with pediatric cases. It really does pull at your heartstrings. The most enjoyable part of the day is being able to still smile at the end of the shift because you know that you have made a difference in the lives of others.
Pros
Being able to be yourself.
Cons
Lunch is too short. It should be at least 45 minutes.
I was a intern
SOCIAL WORK INTERN (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 15, 2018
I loved going to the homes and nursing homes to see the patients. I was there a yr and a half as a intern and everyone was very welcoming and helpful. I felt like I was assist of the team.
Pros
Engaging the patients
Cons
It was only a internship
Work environment
Team manager (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLMay 15, 2018
Challenging work environment with wide range of employee work relationship styles. Emphasis on patient needs. Nice bereavement offerings for families.
Pros
Hard working nurses
Cons
Ineffective education
Good place to work, reputable
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 13, 2018
My first hospice sales job. Spent a lot of time and money training us and continued to invest in its sales force. The GM is extremely unpleasant to work with. She is out of touch with the daily operations. Coworkers were a great team. If I could go back in time, I would not have left to competitor.
Pros
Reputable, willing to train you constantly
Cons
Bad pay, constantly changing territories
Loved the work. Always wanted to do Hospice
LPN (Former Employee) –  Blue Ash, OHMay 12, 2018
I was on Night Shift. Requested day shift several times, was finely told it would never become available. I decided to look elsewhere. A typical day consisted of me meeting with patient and families or facility staff. Getting to know why they were on continuous care, preparing medications, sitting with patient 12 hours at a time, repositioning as needed, mouth care, and anything else that was on POC.
Pros
Autonomy for work
Cons
Night Shift was difficult.
Very Challenging Job but fulling
Managed Medicaid Collections Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 11, 2018
We work from an AR typical day of work is 30 plus accounts working in collections, I learned the Managed Medicaid from California and Florida. I working California accounts from Florida. Seeing the end results in big numbers.
Pros
Over time available
Cons
Short breaks and lunches
Vitas Hospice overall has a good policy for employees.
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 10, 2018
It s place to star Hospice Job if someone are desperate for a job. A few of the Team Managers at Irvine branch are competent and have good clinical skills.
Educational and Productive Experience
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 7, 2018
Vitas Healthcare was a good place to work... the mission statement and the core business of patient care were the things that made it most attractive when I was seeking a position; and when I joined the Vitas family, the company culture at the time, was a bonus.

A typical day at work was busy, but very rewarding. I learned a great deal about hospice care (end of life care) and accounting for related costs and capital expenditures. My professional knowledge as well as interpersonal skills served me well and were further developed during my tenure. I was afforded the opportunity to contribute to the team and Company and therefore enjoy the satisfaction of personal growth and the knowing that I made a difference.

Want to know more about VITAS Healthcare?

Ask a question
no protection for dangerous or abusive families
LVN Nurse (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 5, 2018
As a nurse you will be put in dirty and sometimes dangerous homes. Unrealistic expectations from families with the inability to except the death process. Abuse at times from families. Rediculous complaints about nurses. Terrible health insurance with a $2500,00 decuctible.
Pros
generous pto
Productive workplace
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Delray Beach, FLMay 2, 2018
Loved VITAS. I would highly recommend this place to anyone seeking hospice. All nursing staff is amazing and never did anything wrong. I would love to have Vitas when my time comes.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
shourt beaks
Poor management
Staff (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 27, 2018
Great job working with patients and families. Enjoy the home environment and making a difference for patients and families during a critical period. Most coworkers are supportive and helpful.
However, after a significant management change two years ago, the management has been in complete disarray. New managers have not been trained properly, new staff receives minimal training, and the turnover is extremely high. Staff is run in a matter of negativity and fear. Little support and/or appropriation from management lends to a very unsatisfying environment. Would not recommend employment there, unless there were no alternative.
Unstable work environment
On-call Hospice Nurse (Former Employee) –  Glastonbury, CTApril 25, 2018
Many management changes and management stressors. Expectations were unreasonable with little support. Their care was very good to the patient and families.
Pros
Work was facnating
Cons
Little support and unstable management
Competitive, extensive drive time
Community Relations Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLApril 25, 2018
The typical day begins with route planning on Monday. Listing all of the accounts that you plan to see. Coordinating wit the administrators of the facility. Also, also meeting with families regarding the hospice opportunities. Handling service failures and selling to meet your goal for per your sales agreement.
Pros
high level of independence.
Cons
increasing sales targets and commission challenges.
as a nurse it was o.k. place to work
LVN (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 24, 2018
it was a learing resource place to work. my initial manage was very kind and understanding. I learned a lot there. had to leave after having my baby for better working hourse
Chaplain
Hospice Chaplain (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 20, 2018
As a chaplain I provide a support to patient and families. I find this very rewarding and I enjoy being with patients and families. I like the team that I work with as well.
Pros
Patients
Cons
Driving
Good environment to work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Maitland, FLApril 20, 2018
productive fun place.alot of opportunities to learn.Good health insurance and 401 K. Many opportunities to meet people with different background, education and values.It is a good place to have a real mission.Very fulfilling.Most weekends are off, good pto.Vitas a a good place for a learning experience for any nurse, social service, chaplain, doctor nurse assistant and good opportunities to serve as a volunteer
Excellent place to grow professionally, spiritual and also has good benefits.
Pros
many
Cons
salary
Decent place to work
LVN (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 18, 2018
Decent place to work I enjoy working with hospice patients and families unfortunately hours no longer work for my family will miss my work family and co-workers
Pros
Some milage commpensation
Cons
Hours
Team work oriented
HME Delivery tech (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAApril 17, 2018
My duty as a warehouse technician is to clean, stock,loading/unloading,and scanning items loaded in trucks. Communications between with drivers is key to gives our patients a great experience.
Pros
great benefits, team work oriented environment
Cons
distance and payment if you live in far

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VITAS Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.3

2.4Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight