VITAS Healthcare Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
It was fun and happy to work with Vitas
Hospice Aide (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLAugust 14, 2018
I have been working with vitas healthcare for almost 10 years. I like people that I worked with. We are like family, we support one another. It was a pleasure working with vitas healthcare
Pros
We eat together almost every team meeting, and have fun while we are doing our work
Cons
Sometimes you have to start working 6am
It's About Taking Care of Others
Patient Care Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 11, 2018
I truly enjoyed working with a gorup of nurses who had many years of experience in hospice care. They were self-motivated and worked well with eachother. My time with them was one that I will cherish.
Review
Data Entry (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CTAugust 8, 2018
The typical day would be I would arrive in the office I would say hello to everyone. Then I would check my messages on phone and email. What i have learned is that customer service is very important. The workplace culture was very nice the staff is very nice and fun to be around. The office will host parties every so often. The hardest part of the job is saying goodbye to someone that passed away. the most enjoyable part of my job is saying hello to new clients
Pros
office parties paid time off
Good place
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLAugust 8, 2018
A lot of paperwork you do after hours as well. On-call sucks. Patients are great, families can be stressful. Management is helpful. The autonomy is great
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Work holidays like it's just another day, on-call
Business Segment Review
Hospice Sales Representative / Community Educator (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAAugust 5, 2018
Being a part of Vitas is very rewarding. Self-education and training allowed me the opportunities to have end of life conversation with Physician and family members. I consulted family members of pt.'s with end of life care.
bad relationship, bad salary, bad place for work, keep stay well away!
Admission Nurse (Former Employee) –  North Miami Beach, FLAugust 4, 2018
Bad relationship, bad salary, bad place for work, keep stay well away!
Pros
no pros!
Cons
Many disadvantages1
"Dog eat dog", cut throat company
Admissions Nurse/ Admissions Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 2, 2018
The upper management team is cut throat. They are all about themselves and making sure they get their bonuses. They expect you to keep up with this ridiculous workload and when you can't meet their expectations they are looking for a way to get you out of the door. They don't bother to evaluate the system. You can be drowning in work and they will continue to just pile more on. It was so bad I left without another job in place. It was miserable. Even when you put in additional hours, cutting into your family time, you can't catch up. No one in upper management cares about that.
Pros
Helping the patients and families, promotes from within
Cons
Workload, senior management, work - life balance
good
Hospice Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TX 76107August 1, 2018
typical day was very busy. Workplace culture friendly and supportive. Management was supportive. Hardest part of the job was extensive paperwork. Visiting clients was the best part of the job
Excellent community involvement and support
Hospice Care Veteran Liaison Vietnam Veteran (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 31, 2018
Vitas was very concerned about reaching and supporting the community it was located in.
Employed liaisons familiar with the end of life values of various religious and ethnic groups.
Pros
Very positive work environment
Cons
Accountability computer program not tailored to my particular responsibilities
Good starting hospice job
Case Manager RN (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAJuly 25, 2018
Too many changes always happening and promises that never get kept. I love VITAS but it can be stressful especially when there is not good communication in the office
Vitas
Registered Nurse (Case Manager) (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLJuly 22, 2018
The environment was an ever-changing and challenging job. Every day was a learning opportunity. The company promoted learning and encouraged thinking outside of the box.
Pros
challenging
Cons
paperwork
Employment with Vitas is Rewarding
Patient Care Secretary (Current Employee) –  Milpitas, CAJuly 19, 2018
Hospice is a difficult field given the nature of the business. After complete orientation; I have felt always supported as I learn the ways of the company. They always stand behind their motto's: Patient and Family first. Be a better me than I was yesterday. Take care of each other. I enjoy a challenge and Team 989 is that. I enjoy working with the staff, beautiful souls. When families call and we can help them it's a wonderful feeling. They are going thru one of the hardest things they will experience and we are here to help. My job is Customer Service, Staff Service, filing, following guidelines and insuring others do as well.
Pros
Vitas often buys us lunch and buys groceries each week for the staff to snack on, we have casual Fridays
Cons
Work most holidays
great place to work until last 2 years
INPATIENT UNIT TEAM MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 19, 2018
I was not supported as a manager. Did not have available resourses. I was not just over clinical, but also, maintenance, housekeeping, and cooks. They were the most difficult to manage, and I was not supported by upper management.
Pros
excellent IT and computer programs, good orientation
Cons
pto was used for everything, ie sick, vacation, holidays. I was salaried, and worked long hours. On call all of the time.
Stay out if you have a choice
Marketer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAJuly 18, 2018
Very competitive environment for marketing. Poor management, that is people do not stay in the SF Bay Area program. Management is cold and not caring. Do not understand why these people represent end of life care.
Productive and goal driven workplace
Team manager (Former Employee) –  North Miami Beach, FLJuly 17, 2018
Patient care is the first priority with this company. The upper management staff are accessible to all employees. This company provides the best care and resources to the hospice patients and families
Pros
staff support, open door policy communication
Cons
healthcare, exclusive to spanish community
Great Place to Work!
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Middlebury, CTJuly 16, 2018
I started in an administrative role at VITAS and I absolutely loved it. There is a wide range of clinical and administrative staff that really do their best to work collaboratively despite big differences in professional experience and job roles.

Management can be a little rocky as the turnover seems to get the best of them, but during my experience the management was awesome.

When I transitioned into sales, my job took a turn for the worst. There is really no training at all, you are expected to shadow new reps who aren't seasoned enough to teach you and therefore you're left somewhat curious about what your day should even be composed of. The intention is there, but the execution falls short.

All in all you are entering a great workforce if you join the VITAS team, it was a pleasure to work with everyone -- the people are what make the day enjoyable!!
Pros
Long Lunch Breaks, Tuition Reimbursement
Cons
Turnover
Strong team support for staff that have to deal with death and dying
Licensed Vocational Nurse (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 15, 2018
its was the catalyst that started my career in hospice. I learned to be a better nurse especially in managing a patient's symptom. Hospice nursing allowed me to become a better nurse with a focus on holistic approach to patient care
Pros
dealing with death
Cons
strong team support for all disciplines
over worked
Admission Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 13, 2018
over worked not enough staff to work ratio. Not enough recognition. Not a bad company but has pulled away form the caring part. Good park it has a low turn over rate.
Pros
low turn around
Cons
healthcare
great
Dispatcher/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLJuly 13, 2018
Schedules and organizes daily deliveries, pick-ups, Assists HME/Operations Manager. Check route sheets, manifests. Monitor MST productivity. Troubleshoot Home Medical Equipment issue. Collaborate to minimize lost equipment. Comply data on delivery productivity, start -end times, lunch breaks taken, number of miles driven and total hours worked. Perform other jobs duties as requested by HME/Operations Manager (QCU, MST, CSR and Warehouse duties).
Great people doing difficult work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJuly 11, 2018
Hospice care can be difficult. Sometimes the patients are in denial. Sometimes it's the families who are in denial. You really do become part of their family when you care for their loved one at the end of life. The employees look out for each other. The job can be difficult and can take a toll on the employee. There was always someone to talk to if you were having a rough day. The team really picked up the slack for each other to the best of their ability.
Pros
Great team helping each other out. Helping families through a difficult time was satisfying.
Cons
Denial about the situation, all you can do is help them get through it

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VITAS Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight