VITAS Healthcare Employee Reviews

My job at Vitas was challenging, overwhelming but rewarding at the end f the day.
Admission Liaison (Former Employee) –  Broward County, FLAugust 22, 2018
Daily routine was did rounds on floors, checked with SW, CM and MD on hospice referrals.
I learned to appreciated life, be both sympathetic and empathetic as well as more compassionate and understanding of families/patients mental, emotional and psychological status.
Good thing there was no micro management as work independently
There were a variety of cultures to work with, I worked with all
The hardest part of the job was the emotional
The most enjoyable was the reward at the end of every admission were I knew patient will have good care and dignity at the end of live.
Pros
Good environments
Cons
No good salary and bonus as part of my job was marketing
Hostile Work Environment
Patient Care Secretary (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 18, 2018
You are alway on your toes even when doing your job. It seems as though that even at your best, you are being micromanaged. Management is ego driver and will through their title in front of you as a threat to get you to do what is needed even if it is unethical. What we are able to do for patients and families is great, but behind the veil is unsteady management led by emotion and everyone feels it. It would be wise to check what the turn over rates have been and under which management.
Pros
Benefits and pay
Cons
Culture and environment
Value oriented, yet not value driven, organization.
Director (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 6, 2018
Executive leadership team does not illustrate abilities to support the rapid growth experienced in the last 5 years. Still operating like a “mom and pop” shop as a national organization, with little direction and/or vision. Lack of accountability with leadership is a major risk for this company.
Cons
Poor work life balance, horrible benefits, lack of support from leadership, poor equality among males and females within leadership positions
Lost Focus
Salaried Professional (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 29, 2018
Vitas began as a company concerned about both patients and staff. Now, like most businesses, the company is no longer concerned about the care the patients receive, but solely focuses on money. Morale is low and patient care now suffers.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Lack of work/life balance, salary remains stagnant, lack of supportive management, patients and families do not receive the care they deserve.
The team makes the job
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lombard, ILNovember 17, 2018
I deeply enjoy working for VITAS. My team is wonderful and we work fantastic together. Upper management should take some time to get to know their employees as some feel upper management does not care about them or care about getting to know them. Keep the bus moving forward!
Pros
Coworkers, benefits, scheduling, pay, work life balance, employees
Cons
Upper management not recognizing employees
Chha
Certified Nursing Assistant/Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 21, 2018
CHHA) who provide hands-on care to a terminally ill patient. To help ease the burden on the family caregiver, the hospice aide helps with provide personal care to the patient, including bathing, changing the patient’s clothes, making the bed, mouth care, etc. Hospice aides are also the “eyes and ears” for the rest of the hospice team.

Support from a team that focuses on patient-centered care.
The ability to make your own schedule, to see your patients when they need to be seen.
A company that stands by its values and supports your professional goals.not really. its alot of back stabbing with women, smh

Tuition reimbursement
Paid time off
Employee assistance program
Pre-paid legal services
Affinity program (employee discounts)
Roadside assistance

Good documentation skills required.
Ability to travel per job requirement( YES) all over
you will need another vehicle in 2 years later
Pros
CC team is great to work with
Cons
No breaks, Travel all over health benefits sucks, Management is poorly ran. no rasie in 3 yrs!
Poor benefits, management, pay
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 20, 2018
VITAS hires its clinical staff to manage the operation. Unfortunately, most of these managers have no business skills. Also the pay and benefits are so bad that 93% of the staff that was at the program I work at 3 years ago are gone.
Pros
Work Life balance for the most part
Cons
Pay, benefits, management
Productive and collaborative place to work at
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 28, 2018
I had the pleasure of working for great managers, and grew exponentially in my career while there. It can be hard due to it being fast paced, and the demands that can be more than just a 8-5 job, but I had a lot of support from my management.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
work life balance could be difficult
Corporate should be shameful of themselves!!!
MEDICAL EQUIPMENT TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLSeptember 17, 2018
The employees are the best in that company. Maybe when your fighting against the same enemy you're kind of forced to be allies. When i say enemy i mean pay!!! The expectation for an employee in that company is very high and the pay is very little. As a driver, you are actually the face of the company. You are the wisdom, the muscles, the backbone, but yet you are paid $13.50 an hour to start and no telling if you would get a raise. You are repairing, delivering, setting up, training, picking up, and in some cases you are actually helping nurses and families with medical assistance. You are lifting beds upstairs, long struggles from the parking lot to the front door, setting up oxygen, dealing with customers with no intent to have respect for you, it was a mess. Management was cool to me i might add, I had no problems with them, it was corporate that made certain decisions that kept employees in the poor house. A lot of families were breaking up on the cause of no money was coming into the house. I had employees coming up to me asking for loans to pay their bills, I was sad about it because I couldn't help them. They were hiring outside management that didn't have a clue and were paying them a good lil pay check, but yet there were employees there well suited for the position and management looked over them. Was not cool!!!
Pros
No micro manage as a driver.
Cons
Pay, installations, customers, Corporate!!!
Leader in Hospice Care for 40 years, San Antonio area expanding,
Crisis Care Nurse (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 24, 2018
This company hired me on 14 years ago, in Orlando, Florida. Each area office is different, some more laid back and small, and some fastpaced and expanding. San Antonio is large and expanding. San Antonio Vitas takes on hospice and palliative care cases. LVNs work with the crisis care and triage teams, some per diem, parttime, and fulltime. There are times where LVNs are asked to work in the Inpatient Unit in San Antonio. There is also a pediatric team that LVNs can apply for a position with,and they are a newly treasured and sought-after group. I can't say enough about our manager. She tries her best to keep us full-timres working even when the census is low.
Pros
Good benefits, management support
Cons
Patient census low at times
It's an okay place to work
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 15, 2018
They need to be competitive with their salary with decent pay increases. They need a more professional environment who truly cares about it's employees and not just say it in their values. Job security needs to improve. Better healthcare coverage is needed with reasonable deductions.
Pros
Flexible schedule, offers employee benefits
Cons
Salary, medical plan, unprofessionalism, no bonuses, poor annual salary increases
Don’t work here! Avoid if at all possible.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VASeptember 4, 2018
This is the absolute worst company to work for. They are not doing bad by any means and could afford to treat their employees better, but they do not even bother.

The health benefits are HORRENDOUS! You cannot afford to get sick. Insurance covers basic annual things, but outside of that you have a $2,500 deductible.

You get 0 paid holidays. We work on holidays.

Non-management non- clinical employees get 21 days of PTO annually. 3 of which you have to pay to the company on New Years, Christmas and thanksgiving. Even though the office is closed they still make you pay them to be off. They are not flexible with your schedule. So 19 days off a year, sick and vacation bundled as one. Poor work life balance and low morale.

Management is terrible they don’t care about their employees. There is a high turnover rate. Come join VITAS team if you want to be treated like less than human trash.

Things are constantly changing for the worst, as if they sit around all day thinking how they can make this experience even more unbearable.

Stay away if you can. I really don’t understand why people leave average reviews. As a teen I have worked in retail who treated their employees better than this company. Worst company I have ever worked for in my entire life. Anywhere from here will be a significant improvement.
Pros
Cons
Poor management, no paid holidays, not even three whole weeks of PTO (sick and vacation)
Its only as hard as you make it
Happy Worker (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 25, 2018
Great place to work with lots of collaborative co workers
Hospice is hard work but the great work environment helps you through the hard days
We all want more money but the wages are fair
Benefits are a little high for a family of 4 but they are working on incentives to offset the cost
Management changes often like any other job in healthcare
Great learning and flexible environment
Patient Care Secretary (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILMay 16, 2018
With family and personal responsibilities, Vitas provide its workers with a very flexible working environment to help balance family and work life. Vitas is always looking to provide opportunities for employees to learn and make advancement within the organization.
Pros
Quarterly meetings are very rewarding with free lunch.
Cons
Employees need to be educated about the company culture. To get everyone on the same page.
Hospital Marketing and Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 9, 2018
When a Vitas had an In-patient Unit at a local hospital it was the best place to work. Unfortunately they closed the program and was only located on the Kansas side. Management was rarely involved in promoting from within. It was good while it lasted.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Advancement
great place to work until last 2 years
INPATIENT UNIT TEAM MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 19, 2018
I was not supported as a manager. Did not have available resourses. I was not just over clinical, but also, maintenance, housekeeping, and cooks. They were the most difficult to manage, and I was not supported by upper management.
Pros
excellent IT and computer programs, good orientation
Cons
pto was used for everything, ie sick, vacation, holidays. I was salaried, and worked long hours. On call all of the time.
Dedicated leadership and staff
caseworker (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 17, 2018
Excellent company to work for. Staff is passionate in caring for patients, families, and each other.

Opportunities to advance or transfer to another program in another city of state.
Pros
Working with dedicated, caring staff
Cons
salary could be more competitive
Receptionist
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  1040 Broad Street, Shrewsbury, NJ 07702October 18, 2018
Typical day; Answer and screen phone calls, faxing, mailings, attendance, on call calendars for the nurses, order office and kitchen supplies, update phone list, process new hires, order voice mail, extensions, badges, etc.

The culture of our organization is compassion, care and giving!

The most Enjoyable; telephones are very important and can be very rewarding, to help the families with just a few kind word. How appreciate the families are with just a few words. It makes me feel good that I made someone's day.

The hardest part of my job are the hours now! I work from 8A-5P and its a long day. Well it's not so hard, but I'm ready to downsize to half. I want to continue working but I want to enjoy my grandchildren and my life. I want to work but not full time.

What I learned is how Blessed and fortunate I am. I have my health, my family. Life is Good!!!
Lack of Support
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLJune 7, 2018
Upper management frequently threw their employees under the bus. I honestly felt like I was walking on egg shells at all times. I felt a lack of respect by upper management. They often changed rules and protocol. There was no advancement options. For no reason at all I was not considered for a full time position, despite being with the company for 1 year at that point. There was not enough work as a part timer to continue working there.
Pros
Coworkers were supportive; patients were great to work with
Cons
Upper management in general
Not for everyone: must be self motivated, highly empathic, integrity minded w/a real gift for working w/people.
Chaplain (Current Employee) –  Milpitas, CASeptember 13, 2018
This is much more a calling than a job. You will be compensated what you are worth (based on the value you bring to your patients and the team that you work on).
Some of the managers got promoted because they were good nurses but that doesn't make them a good leader. If you get assigned to a team that has less than a great leader, in a sense lead from the middle by doing your job very well then ask to be transferred to another team - upper management will get the clue. In this context, if you are asked what the problem is, state it but always have a solution. Again they DO NOT want to let a good employee go, no company does.
I create my schedule (7:30-4:30) and work around the traffic. If you are employed and need extra money, work more on call shifts ($).
Pros
Flexible schedule with some wonderful co-workers
Cons
Some not so wonderful co-workers, which one are you?

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VITAS Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at VITAS Healthcare.

Powered by Comparably