Vitran Express Employee Reviews

bad company
Driver/Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Gibsonia, PAMay 6, 2018
this place was horrible got bought out by central transport i got fired for hitting a fire hydrant that i didnt even hit the managment was horrible and so was the company stay away
no longer in business
Fleet Mechanic (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaApril 17, 2018
this company closed the doors and is no longer open to work for. left before the close but people are all gone now and building has been sold to another company
Company was bought out.
Coding / Billing Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 20, 2018
Company was bought out.

The new company had a plan to not pay for the laying off of the old employees. They "hired" on half the staff and immediately fired the other half. Then they waited two weeks and basically "released" the remaining staff. This way they got around the law.
Good people
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  IndianapolisMarch 9, 2018
I did not like always being out of town. Most all the people I worked for were nice. Rain or snow you had to work outside. The work was fast paced, but it helped the day go fast.
Pros
Hard work but rewarding
Cons
Out of town
Company Closed
FORKLIFT OPERATOR/DOCK WORKER (Former Employee) –  Markham ILMarch 8, 2018
Due to the fact, that the company was closing there doors, employees didn't really care about how the freight was being loaded out on the trailer. There was no Career Advancement
Very productive and clean, safe, place to work.
Outbound LTL Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 21, 2018
Good place to work. Management was fair and provided the necessary support and avenues to get the job done. Equipment was new and safe. Good group of hard working fellow employees. Got excellent base for future management opportunities. Prepared me well for my next job.
a company that tanked
Claims Support Team Member (Former Employee) –  Gibsonia, PAFebruary 6, 2018
I joined the Vitran team in its waning years - I didn't get to see it in its glory but, instead, was there when it went under and was bought out by a company in another state. Our options were to either move to Michigan or be laid off.
Fun Job Training
Assistant Secretary Trainee (Former Employee) –  St Thomas, VIJanuary 23, 2018
It was nice to work, I was an Administrative Secretary in training. The job was very fun. We learned about public transportation the cost and budget in maintaining the public buses.
safety issues
Forklift Operator/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJanuary 17, 2018
not a very safe place to be cross docking on a forklift with ice on the docks, didn't seem to be very concerned about the loads. they were never loaded correctly. lots of damaged goods claims
productive
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIDecember 11, 2017
A productive place to unload trailers, organize papers and freight to load trailers to be deliver customers at safe and timmely manner. a place to advance.
no longer in business
Driver (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaOctober 19, 2017
Vitran was bought by Central States. very fast paced job. decent pay and benefits. Last supervisor was great to work with. Again this company is no longer in business
The staff is cool.
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Hampton, NJ 08827October 19, 2017
I enjoyed working for the company overall and may have still been with them if they didn't cut my hours to part time hours. My fellow co-workers were fun to work with and knowledgeable. It was one of the jobs I had that looking back I wish I would have been able to keep.
it was an enjoyable position to have worked
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAOctober 19, 2017
It was fast paced and most of the time a pleasant work environment
Various job duties and interaction with many different people from many different areas, professional, customer and co-employees.
ok job
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Conley, GASeptember 5, 2017
it is your regular dock job but the company was bought out by a larger company. the job had great co workers and a team setting that help pushed production.
Job security
Credit Collector (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 4, 2017
at the time I worked here they were transitioning to new ownership so everything was up in the air. they did offer hour lunches which was great and the work was constant however there was no way of knowing when you would come in and no longer be employed. the also did not inform me in advance when my position was terminated until I came in to work .
Pros
hr lunches
Cons
no job stability
well organized and good environment to work in
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Walbridge, OHJuly 5, 2017
Excellent working environment, very well organized environment to work in and the people were excellent to work for and work with. A typical day at work would begin with getting into the flow of what was
going on as it involved setting up the peddles for that particular day. Finding out how many peddle were being set up that day and how to
load freight for each particular peddle trailer. Coordinating the inbound freight to be delivered that day with the pick ups that had been called in and deciding which drivers would handle each peddle.It was a very fast paced environment that would be ever changing throughout the day. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing at the end of the day what you had accomplished as a team.
Company no longer exist
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 27, 2017
Company was sold without the knowledge of employees, some were let go and left without a job. Management wasn't available when needed, leading to a decline in production and morale.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Very poorly managed
Not a good place to work
Assistant Service Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 18, 2017
The environment was caustic. Much work was done to develop standards and processes that were not used. Management was not open to listening to ideas and proceeded in a bubble.
N/a
Line Haul Tractor Trailer Driver (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NC 27409June 6, 2017
I do not have anything to say about working for the Vitran Express company. I was not there for a long time to give a true feeling on the company work.
Great place prior to shutdown of terminal
Linehaul Operator Tractor Trailer (Former Employee) –  Henderson, CO 80640May 25, 2017
Great place prior to the terminal closing. Dispatch staff worked hard to schedule on time gate departure. Terminal manager was very easy to talk to. Wished they never shut this place down.
Pros
Terminal staff
Cons
Closed the terminal