Vivint Smart Home
Coronavirus update
Information from Vivint Smart Home:

Vivint Smart Home Employee Reviews for Installation Technician

Installation Technician38 reviews
Great place to work, their a new company so its need a few wrinkles fixed. such as lunch breaks and drive hours. More employee appreciation such as events for all the staff not just management.
Pros
work hours
Cons
healthcare, breaks sucks, management
I enjoyed working with my coworkers and my manager was great. I found that the days were very long and the job is not stable enough to give you a set salary every year. I learned a lot of skills I wouldn't have learned and it is a fast way to make money.
Bad management they want you to lie an mislead customers an get them into 5 year contracts . Also wants customers to take out loans for equipment they say is free . If you dont lie an get installs in it will count against in which you will receive a write up
Pros
Company vehicle
Cons
Mandatory long hours
I gained a lot of great knowledge and experience working with this company. They showed me the importance of innovation and sparked my desire to get back into work in my field.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Daily Inventory
Started around 10 everyday unless it was going to be a busy day because of weekend or known holiday. Then we would gather our supplies and head over to the area of installation. We would wait in queue to get notified of jobs. Once it was our turn, we would head over to the address provided, or to the co-workers' address if working in a team. Install the security system, educate customer and answer any of their question, clean up and get back on the queue ready to take another job. Loved the challenge the job brought as no two homes or customer were the same. Helped me immensely with communication and understanding how to provide excellent customer service. Timing got tough sometimes as customer sometimes wanted late at night installation as that was the only time available for them. And being away from provided lodging meant driving, sometimes for hours, to get back home. The best part about all of this was to be able to see people in different place and different phases of life and to be able to communicate and learn from them and share our own experiences with them.
Pros
Commission based job increased competitiveness
Cons
Travel meant being away from family for the summer unless accompanied by them
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
I'm torn with this review. On the one hand all the other technicians I worked with at Vivint were awesome, and the paid for accommodation was in shiny new apartments.

But the work life balance is horrendous. I know it's what you sign up for and the money is great, but you are basically on call from 11:00am all the way to 11pm, Monday to Saturday. This means you are constantly under stress of getting that next job, and it makes it impossible to plan anything for the whole summer. You'll think that you're clear for a few hours so you go to the gym, nope a job. So you decide you'll just wait around for that next job, but it never comes and you just waste your time.

But the real problem was the sales reps. Now there were some decent reps who I really respected. But then there were these sales reps that define sleeze. they would sell to people who had no business getting the system, would lie about what they included in the package and then leave the burden of explaining the price increase on the tech, which often led to some angry customers.

Also get ready to put A LOT of kilometers on your own vehicle as you'll be driving all day doing service calls.

Anyways, I've been in every type of home and met every type of person so in the end I'd say the experience was worth it.

One last thing, If you quit even a day early your bonus is void. Also your bonus is based off customer reviews, which wasn't so bad for me, but some guys would get a 1 because of something the rep did and it would destroy their bonus.
Pros
Accomodation, good times with other techs, differs from a 9-5
Cons
Always on call, restrictive contract, sales reps
Only one manager in region so it is difficult to advance to that level. Lots of freedom and trust to complete the work you are suppsed to do. Great place to work
I enjoyed the everyday challenge and meeting the new customers, installing their security systems and building a relationship with them.

Just wish that there was more work available, thats the only reason I left the company.
Great job when you are in college to work in the summer time it givves you the ability to travel the country and see places you normally wouldn;t it also will put some good money in your pocke if you work hard.
Pros
Pay
Cons
time away in the summer
i felt that it wasnt super organized and i didnt know when i was going to work until the night before often times. I got paid pretty well but due to the stress will probably not return to work there.
• Performed in-home sales demonstrations and installations with personalized security solutions that meet customer needs.
• Scheduled team meetings and appointments throughout the Monterey and SF bay area

• Attended Sales meetings to increase sales opportunities of new security products

• Mentored and trained new associates on sales/marketing strategies.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Travel time
Work starts between 9:00am and 12:00pm with receiving the days inventory. Travel to area and when salesmen makes a sell travel to work site and install equipment.
Pros
Work at your own pace.
Cons
Long days. 8-15 hour days
Vivint is a good company providing a good product and service. Hours are long work week is long and you are away from home. money is based per install.
Travel out of state to work for the summer months. not a steady pay line of work. to many variables and conditions to receive back end pay after summers end.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Seasonal job
While I was working there the company was going through a rebranding so things were a little off kilter, as for the work it was a good company to work for with a good product but in the end there was not any growth potential.
Pros
company car
Cons
rebranding issues with customers
This is a wonderful career for anyone wanting to learna new trade and get a great jumpstart in life. Vivint takes wonderful care of their employees but you will work hard for it.
An excellent place to work. Management and supervisors are very willing to assist and aid technicians with any questions they have. Very eager to promote within the company.
Pros
Mon Through Sat no working late
Cons
Cant really take a lunch
I have worked for Vivint the last few years, the competitive work environment, and paid by the job. Made vivint a job I held interest in. It does require you to travel for the summer. I can no longer continue to be out of town for 5 months at a time. The life, and job experience I gained over the last 3 years has been great.
Pros
Travel, good compensation for your work
Cons
Travel, no benefits for techs
Job requires you to move a lot making it hard to have a life outside work though there is free time. Mostly seasonal work with options for off season if you're motivated.
We worked long days in high temperatures and had to deal with some egos in terms of sales reps, but it was worth it. The pay is amazing and the customer relationships you get to build are a lot of fun. I learned a lot about the industry and developed my customer service skills. Many of the people are great to work with but there are a few bad apples in the sales reps in particular.
Pros
Pay, industry experience, nice housing
Cons
Salesman egos, tough work, long hours
Really cares about employees and a good work environment. Being a technician was awesome. It was a lot of hard work, but it was well worth it in the end.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vivint Smart Home. Our community is ready to answer.
Women's ratings

4.7Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Career recommendations for Installation Technician
Explore information on salaries, job satisfaction, skills and more
Popular locations for Installation Technician in US