VML Employee Reviews

Chicago office doesnt matter to KC
Strategy Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 1, 2018
VML has some of nicest people I have ever worked with, really liked interacting and working with everyone. The work is not that great with a few stoneage clients. The firm is headquartered in KC and they don't care about any other offices, openly stating biases to me about the Chicago office lack of capabilities. Its also the whitest office I have ever worked in.
Pros
Super nice people
Cons
Lack of good work and diversity
Seattle office is toxic
Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 2, 2018
Seattle office has a very toxic environment. The management is a boys/cool kids club. The upper management is so detached from the day-to-day, yet makes big decisions like they are, therefore making for unhappy employees. I think there is opportunity for this company to thrive, but the head management really needs to pay attention to what is going on with their employees, and take the time to actually listen to what they say before making big business decisions.
Pros
Good office location, decent benefits
Cons
Bad Management
Seems like a good place to work but wasn't a fit
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 1, 2018
This seems like a great place to work, but the company culture wasn't quite a fit for me. The account I worked on was also very understaffed and I ended up doing all of the work.
Ultra productive environment that heavily values self initiating people that aren't afraid to apologize later
Program Manager/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 27, 2018
VML can be an incredible environment to quickly and independently gain experience across multiple roles in multiple practices. If you aren't able to identify the work and either own that work through delegation or your own capacity you will sink quickly. If you are, sky is the limit as far as carving out space to meet your career goals.
Pros
Loosely coupled, tightly aligned practices, can quickly make your mark, great work environment and outreach opportunities
Cons
Work/Life balance can quickly go sideways with little resolution, Agile is not always an agent for positive change for technologists
Need more staff
Associate Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 21, 2018
There is a work hard play hard attitude, but it takes a long time to be compensated for the work you are doing. There was a lot of expectation of workers to work after hours.
Pros
Free Lunches, bar on site
Great Culture
Senior Channel Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 28, 2018
VML has a great culture and you will work with some of the most most talented and hard-working employees. The CEO has a good vision for the company and is an all around nice, smart guy. Work life balance is not the best, and raises and promotions can take a few years.
Pros
Great benefits, fun office environment, good work
Cons
Work life balance
Great place to work if youre a full time employee
IT Lead (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 7, 2018
Great management, awesome culture and very friendly environment. Once you're a full time employee its a very good place to work at. Great benefits and good vacation and paid time off.
very stuck in their ways
Freelance Senior QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 15, 2018
i was brought in to spin up QA in the NY office. Though we planned out how we could add QA to the software development life cycle but they usually bypassed me
Amazing people. Growing Fast.
Associate Creative Director (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 1, 2018
In the 7 years I've worked here, this company has probably quadrupled in size and scope. The people I work with are extremely talented. The work is cool. The hours can be rough. There's a lot of burn out. And I feel like everyone is mostly underpaid for what they do.
Pros
people, culture, work
Cons
low salaries, long hours
not a good place to work
Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 6, 2018
It is not a nice place to work. The manages want you work overtime all the time. Even during the weekend and holidays. It doesn't provide any training opportunities.
Vml, inc.
anonymous (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 6, 2017
Working for VML was a great opportunity. Everyday presented new challenges and adventures. It is located in a beautiful building with great views of Atlanta.
One of the best places to work in Kansas City, MO area
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 14, 2017
Days are completely balanced at VML, sometimes stressful because of the deadlines that we have to meet all of them and big clients which requires more effort to keep them satisfied.
I love working at VML.
Could be incredible
Facilities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 27, 2017
This could be an incredible place to work. In the past, it has been better, but as they've sold out to a larger holding company all the perks are getting reduced quicker and quicker. The only people who are having a great time are the 50+ (10%) C-level executives that are micro-managing the company and quickly falling behind the times, as they age.
Pros
free beer, fun events
Cons
after hours work, too many executives
Fun place to work with Ping Pong table and engaging, creative people.
Art Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 25, 2017
Great culture. Exciting client opportunities and work atmosphere. Great city location. Focus on the creative work which drives the business and its many award recognitions.
One of the top digital agencies in the country
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 20, 2017
While my tenure was brief, I enjoyed working at VML. Exceptional leadership, incredibly talented staff. Even with exceptional growth in both clients and employees over a very short time, every day was a new adventure in learning.
High energy ocean of creativity and success
Multimedia Developer / Designer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 12, 2017
I worked, collaborated and created a knowledge base with fellow web developers. This is a place where it never gets boring. In a marketing agency such as this I had the pleasure of working on multiple projects for many different clients. New challenges introduced themselves as a new art directed animation concepts that we, the developers had to bring to life. I learned that working with a team of developers, and sharing ideas coding concepts is something i really enjoy. I learned the benefit of having morning scrums with project management twice a week or more. Project prioritization is developed during scrums which lead me to focus on the tasks at hand and be more efficient at my job. Work place culture was free and open. No micro management. You handle your business and do a great job, get in on the discussions, help generate ideas and concepts. The hardest part is when I received art work late, and the timing of a project is not pushed back to accommodate the late assets received. The most enjoyable part with the team. Collaborating, drinking beers, sharing work and ideas.
Pros
casual dress code, no micro management, free snacks and beer, great work environment and people
Overview
Senior Manager Consulting (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 10, 2016
Great company to work for. Unless you are contracting and they will drop you like an old hat if they have full time employees looking for new client work.
great people
Sr. Project Manager (Integrated) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 28, 2016
Amazing place to work. Open door policy with senior leaders. Lots of activities for team building and getting to know all others from other offices.
Nice place where i was work before
UI Developer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 27, 2016
A typical day in the job was the day when our sprint was over ,
but over company managment is very nice so every one work very accurately and in good direction
There is lots of potential
Creative (Former Employee) –  ChicagoMarch 28, 2016
There is plenty of opportunity. And you'll be working with lots of nice people. Definitely a place you can dig in and do well.
Pros
Benefits are great.
Cons
Salaries are slow to grow.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VML. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

2.3Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight