Happiness rating is 75 out of 100

VMware Employee Reviews

United States569 reviews

virtualizationvmwcloudpalotechnologyaltosnackdell

Excellent place to work

Excellent place to work good working environment. Recognizing hard workersMangers are good and fair they care about your careers. Lots of VMware gear like shirts etc to have when working there be Benefits are good

VMware

Great culture, uber smart people, innovative tech. The company is being acquired by Broadcom (which could be good or bad - its hard to say at this point).

VMware insights

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility

Excellent

Fantastic company, interesting products, focused on innovation. Very values driven as well.Great benefits, unlimited PTO and leaders are supportive. Some unknowns with the latest acquisition announcement.

Lots of challenges and issues to fix but management could be better.

Faced with solving lots of data issues for members of various teams which can be challenging but rewarding. Management is lacking as my boss has no experience in BI and would rather me handle issues that a manager would normally handle. Makes me feel unsupported. Benefits are excellent

Productive and Wonderful Team

Very good manager, very supportive of setting and achieving goals.Good work / life balanceAwesome team playersPlenty of opportunity for professional development and growth.

What is the best part of working at VMware?Best cultureWhat is the most stressful part about working at VMware?Not Applicable

Good company

Industry leader in software engineering. Work on cutting edge infrastructure technology. Good pay and benefits and respect of engineering talent. Would recommend.

Good benefits but can do better in terms of RSU

Great set of people but need a big transformation in the SaaS journey and it seems to be slow. Great campus. Good food. High attrition. Great work-life balance.

Not the same company I joined a number of years ago

Company experiencing transition, painful. Favoritism is rampant and disheartening. Company is not actively seeking to retain top talent and colleagues are leaving. Colleagues are the best I've ever worked with and right now only reason I haven't left.

Overall a good company to work for. They care about their people and live up to the company values but situations vary from team-to-team.

Teams can be large or small and have a lot of autonomy. This can be great. But it can also be awful if you have a bad manager. I had good managers and bad managers, so I got to see both sides of the coin. The work is interesting and if you find yourself on a good team it is a great experience.

Pros

Commitment to inclusive culture, Decent work-life balance, Great opportunities to learn, Good people here if you can find them.

Cons

Health benefits are only okay, Team tyrants can make life horrible, No accountability for middle managers, Your experience will be luck of the draw

Support Guide

I genuinely enjoy the place, but the culture can be eh sometimes. You just have to go with the flow sometimes. I'd work here again for sure, but just not as a support guide.

Management has no clue

Management has no clue what the Engineers need especially during COVID. Dissatisfied with the company and how they treat long time employees unfortunately.

Cons

They go out of their way to make employees feel happy and included.

Really nothing bad to say about this company. Of course there are a few people in higher level positions who aren't my FAVORITE people, but this is a huge company, it's bound to happen. I can truly say that I was always proud to work here.

Pros

Great culture, concerts, contests, lot's and lot's of effort made towards inclusion.

Cons

nothing really.

Great technology - homogenous culture.

Sales is 70% operations and 30% selling. Personal development and autonomy to do your job is discouraged. Lack of transparency, equity and trust is prevalent.

Pros

unlimited PTO and great technology

Cons

Heavy on management and light on leadership.

Great Work From Anywhere Policy

The company has embraced the "work for anywhere" philosophy allowing employees to relocate to other states if desired and to choose to work from home full time without being tied to an office.

Fast paced environment

Good culture, but sometimes you could hit a wall with some gray areas that exist for a specific product, which can make the support and learn a little hard to deal with.

Pros

Healthcare

VMware is like a true extension of High School/College

VMWare is a great place to work on site. However, some will feel this place is really over the top "liberal" from the CEO to your Direct Managers. And it's been like this for the past 6 years. It has taken VMWare years to recognize Martin Luther King, Juneteenth & Veterans Day. This primarily due to C Level or World events. VMware really don't like to be involved in World Events. But in the past 4 years, they are trying to catch up. You will get and see many Management Levels in a political stance within Vmware. Not your world Politics. But internal politics. There are many people with great ideas and majority of the management will take those ideas as their own and claim it as their own with no credit to actual owner. Many of these managements all have ego's that they need to check at the door. Growth, are for those who really brown nose within their "click" based on popularity. Then there are some who gets hired or promoted and yet still have no idea to manage people or the product/position they were hired for. Also watchout for the internal survey's. Especially the "skills" survey. IF you ever get one. Just lie about it. It's a gauge for higher management to indicate "lay off markers".

Pros

Halloween Concerts

Cons

Overall Management Internal Politics

Change

A lot of change is happening. We will see what happens with the new CEO and change to a SaaS business. W/L balance is great and the company really does care about its people.

Love my coworkers

Love my coworkers, but I worry too many jobs at my level are going out of the US. Upper management doesn’t understand the work we do. Training is awesome, I have learned a lot.

Pros

Work from home, flexible hours, hourly pay, overtime, and lots of time off available

Cons

Upper management, can be stressful

VMware

An awesome company with great benefits. The flexibility of work while moving through a pandemic is unprecedented. The office spaces around the country are very nice and the teams that I have all worked with are wonderful hard-working employees.

Pros

Work from Home Forever

Cons

Lack of purpose

Fun workplace with modern edge

VMware is a fun workplace with a good strategy and great execution - the strategy is coming to execution in the last 12 months. I enjoy working here and look forward to return to office

Pros

Great benefits

Common questions about VMware

Answered by current and former employees at VMware

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VMware. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.1 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 10%
In the Top 10% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at VMware.
Powered byComparably