VNA Care Employee Reviews

RNs beware
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Needham, MAJuly 20, 2018
If you care about providing quality care, avoid this company like the plague. The company does not give a single care or concern about any patient or any staff member. All they care about is hoarding as many new admissions as they can, despite not having adequate staff to support the patient volume. This means endless work, patient care suffers, and there is no work life balance.

You will document hours into the night, and for free. You will drive your car into the ground driving 100+ miles a day, through rain, hail, and snow- they just do not care. Over 25 nurses left over a 30-60 day time period and the company is struggling to recruit and retain- and all words fall on deaf ears. I have never worked a job before that I DREADED going to work every day, until I worked for VNA care.

When our new CEO joined, the first thing she did was send a letter advising that we would not be receiving raises in 2018, and would probably not receive any 401k matches.

You have been warned.
Pros
Cons
Slaving away each and every day.
Stressful environment and low pay
Registered Nurse- Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Southborough, MAAugust 13, 2018
I worked for this company and was not appreciated or valued. VNA care has turned into a sales focused, numbers driven organization while the quality of care provided, morale of the employees, and communication is being ignored. What a shame . It would be nice if the focus was placed on the patients we serve, the nurses that are doing the work, and the appropriate resources needed to run a successful organization.

DON has no clue how to successfully manage clinicians, poor people skills, unfair ,totally micro manages staff and plays favoritism . Long hours, work comes home with you. High stress and low pay. The company does not give annual raises, does not match 401 k. They will not balance out your schedule, always understaffed, 40+ case load at all times. Very stressful environment, although nurses and rehab co workers are kind and caring. I would not recommend employment at VNA Care/Network.
Pros
Co workers and education management
Cons
Stressfull, long days, poor and unfair management, huge case load, always understaffed, no raises, no 401 matching
Do not work or apply here
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlestown, MAJune 26, 2018
Management has a lot of issues. They show favoritism with those who are family or somehow related to the higher ups. Those employees who have shown loyalty to the company has been laid off with low severance pays and horrible pay cuts to 401k and benefits. For the second year in the row there have been no pay raises and getting time off approved can be very difficult so hopefully you will not get sick working here.
There are no perks working here except the fellow staff who are not management. They are the real heroes, caring for patients with positive attitudes despite the treatment they receive. Same goes to the office staff.
Save yourself the anxiety and headaches. Stay far away from here and recommend others to do the same.
Pros
Great peers
Cons
Just about everything
The Jury is out
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJune 25, 2018
I have worked for Vna care for close to 20 years and for a long time it was a really good job despite the long hours. Our last CEO seem to bring us to the brink with bad decisions babe and we have become way too big too fast with several mergers and very cumbersome. It felt like concern about patient care had vanished and all they cared about was getting the numbers I became concerned about patient safety plus our own sanity .

That said, We have a new CEO who seems to have a more realistic perspective. She promises to restore both work life balance and an emphasis on doing quality care for patients. If that really happens I will stay.

Compensation does it match expectations for the amount of work we do, as they do try to have it both ways by paying clinicians salary so they don’t have to pay us overtime, but then when we are slow requiring us to take paid time off
Pros
I do love patient care, I work with some really good nurses and PT/OT’s
Cons
No work life balance, Management has seemed out of touch
Negative work environment
Patient Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Southborough, MAAugust 31, 2018
Non-management is continuously treated unfairly, humiliated and left in the dark. Not enough training for employees however huge pressure from managers to get claims paid. Work load isn’t evenly distributed amongst us causing most to have an overload of work whereas others have hours of downtime. No raises or 401k match. Insurance is also very high.
Pros
Working independently
Cons
Lack of training, favoritism, hostility and unqualified managers
No work/life balance
LPN (Current Employee) –  Southborough, MAJune 14, 2018
As more and more work gets piled onto workers, other positions are being laid off and those roles are not being replaced. Raises and 401k contributions have been placed on hold for the second year in a row. Health insurance costs have increased and you are asked to work overtime without pay and you can receive “comp time” at a later date and when you need that time off it’s denied or you are told to use your own PTO time. Some employees are allowed to work from home, while other employees are denied the same opportunities. The amount of work that is piled on is not compensated with correct/fair pay. Management and HR cannot be trusted.
Not Recommended
Patient Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Southborough, MASeptember 18, 2018
VNA is struggling. Low pay with no pay raises or 401K match. Workload is the job of 2-3 people. Management criticizes & talks down to staff and will also tell you they are too busy to help out.
Poor management
RN (Former Employee) –  WorcesterAugust 15, 2018
Poor management, not organized as a company, no profit sharing, no raises, do more with less, no support from upper management, expectations are rediculous.
Excellent place to work
Insurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Southborough, MAJune 5, 2018
Highly recommend great job culture and growth . If you enjoy working in a fast-paced environment and being able to learn and grow yourself In your career Also great benefits for full-time employees and pays very well
RNs, please stay away from managed care departments
Managed Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 5, 2018
I made the worst decision in my life when I chose to work here . If you are a clinician and would like to keep your brain intact, please stay away from managed care department due to the following reasons . 1. Incompetent manger , she is a just a puppet and non clinician makes all the clinical decision . 2. Absolutely no career advancement , they just don't let any smart people grow because manager acts like RNa are threat to her . They had 3 RNs left the managed care department in two weeks . 3. Very hostile environment .
Pros
Commute
Cons
No career growth, poor management
Potential to be great with upper management changes
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MANovember 26, 2018
Large company, too large. Many in upper management are have unrealistic expectations. Merger with Boston was a great idea but most of the good people from Boston have unfortunately left the VNA. Just not a good place to work, HR will either never get back to you or will take forever to get back to you. No overtime for nurses. New software with minimal training for staff. Recently got rid of childcare center with minimal notice to parents and staff and got rid of the maternal child program which was the hallmark of the VNA. Poor financial and overall leadership.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
many
Sinking ship, do more with less!
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 26, 2018
This used to be a great place to work where it felt like we were making a difference in people's lives and were effective as nurses in the healthcare world. In the last six months alone we have had our annual pay raise potential docked by 50%, health insurance costs have skyrocketed and the agency expects all employees to wear expensive branded logo wear that we are expected to purchase on our own dime. The caseloads are too large and too acute, and spanning larger and larger territories daily. The nurses and therapists are quite literally spread across the state of Massachusetts like butter spread too far and too thin across bread. Any semblance of work/life balance that once existed has since vanished for most if not all clinicians. Management is grasping at straws to keep their heads above water, hiring specialists to micromanage clinicians relentlessly instead of just letting us do our jobs and help people. The clerical tasks bestowed upon field clinicians has multiplied tenfold over the last year alone, and continues to grow daily. This of course leaves even less time for evidence based patient focused care, and that means patient rehospitalization rates are climbing. All of these things combined are rendering the staff at VNA Care impotent as healthcare providers and are destroying the quality of a company that many people were once proud to be a part of.
Cons
Burnout, no work/life balance, benefits and pay being minimized, ineffective management
Stressful demanding job.,
Managed Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Southborough, MAJuly 10, 2018
A typical day at work is extremely stressful, too much work, not enough employees to handle it. The phone is constantly ringing and lots of demands are made. It's impossible to get all your work done the way the department is so short staffed now. I learned a new skill during my time at VNA, and for that I am grateful. Management not only shows extreme favoritism, but also shows a total disregard for others in the department. I have never once felt cared about as a human being. The hardest part of the job is trying to do the job of 3 people. The most enjoyable part of the job is the coworkers.
Pros
Healthcare, dental, vision.
Cons
Low pay, not enough time off/paid holidays.
quality improvement
Assistant Clinical Manager (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MANovember 12, 2018
Review of clinical documentation for accuracy, compliance. Educated clinical staff and clinical manager regarding OASIS compliance, CMS guidelines, documentation.
The clinical staff, quality improvement staff, and clinical managers were very friendly to work with and respected your opinion.
Used to be a great place to work
Business Analyst, IS Analyst, MIS Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJuly 5, 2018
Over the past few years, the management has become ridiculous. New CEO and most of the management seem more concerned with their pockets than they do about the patients or the employees.
Friendly employees
Clinical Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 4, 2018
Fast paced, friendly, it was great to work with people who cared. Relocation of their office was out side of my comfort zone of distance bring it to a 12 hour day
Pros
Freindly
Cons
High volume of work
sometimes stressful but still fun place to work
Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Charlestown, MAJanuary 30, 2018
A typical day can go from slow paced to fast and productive really quick. great team players to work with. Some days are stressful depending on the work load.
Cons
hours
Not the best
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 8, 2017
Most of the managers have not been field nurses for sometime, so they did not understand the caseloads and monitoring the acuity of a patient. Time was not considered for some of the more difficult patients to manage their IVs, PICC Lines, Wound Vacs, etc. The biggest push was "NUMBERS". They became too large too quick and expected field staff to compensate them.
So much computer work at night, work/life balance was awful.
Pros
Got to do a lot
Cons
management, work life balance
Beware of management.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Southborough, MANovember 4, 2017
Management in general but more in the southboro office, is very difficult. Micromanagement is the worst I have ever encountered. The staff is very unhappy and I would never recommend to a peer. Very degrading. It's unfortunate.
The VNA Care Network is a company with a vision. They provide great treatment with a team approach.
Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MASeptember 17, 2015
My typical day was long and there was always paperwork at the end of the day. Treating the patients was always our main focus. I learned to listen to my patients. To set goals that were appropriate for them. To listen and watch for symptoms that may cause a decline and act on them before the patient requires hospitalization. The management was supportive, even when they were overwhelmed. I had great co-workers, however, not everyone was a team player. Initially, that was difficult but you learn to communicate effectively and consistently, even if some people did not. The patients were the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
You could set your own schedule most of the time.
Cons
It was difficult to stop for lunch.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VNA Care. Our community is ready to answer.

2.2