VNA Employee Reviews

Not a steady work environment
Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Southborough, MAJuly 25, 2019
This company is trying to get their act together. However, they tend to lay people off, restructure, find out that the restructuring didn't work and go back to the way things were. The company laid off over 50 people in the last month, and laid off several clinicians earlier in the year, only to find they now need these employees back. They have called back some of the laid off employees asking them to come back, but only temporarily.

If you are an office employee, you do have a better balance of work and home life, but clinicians do not. The office staff is not highly regarded but the clinical teams are the most important.

There is little to no room for growth. The pay is not as much as a paraprofessional. However, this is a non-profit organization. There used to be 401K matches, which no longer exists and you do not get raises, any more.

The coworkers are fantastic, but the way business is handled is questionable. Because of the change in structure, and the lack of employees, people are struggling with their jobs and many are overwhelmed. You are expected to do the job of multiple people with not enough time to do it, and you are not paid enough.

When I first came aboard this company, it was wonderful and I loved it. After the CEO retired, and a new CEO stepped in, things went down hill fast, and the new CEO we now have may be helping in getting the company back in order. However, I do not see that.

The upper VIP's have had large salaries, new cars, etc, while the rest of the employees haven't had raises. They are now adding more managers and
  more... supervisors with larger salaries, but not enough people "in the trenches". Good luck if you work here.  less
Pros
Average PTO
Cons
Poor management
Low morale because of poor management
maintenace coordinator (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 13, 2019
Terminated because of one day with out a call in. HR tried setting up an abandonment termination by locking me out so I could leave and give justice to their termination. Typical of HR doing this to prevent a salary increase. HR person couldn't even look me in the eye because of her snake actions to terminate me. Nasty person with a fake personality and many hidden negative faces. Did not deserve this termination because I was really dedicated to this job and this person until the real person emerged. If I didn't get sucker punch in this situation I would of defended myself to the point where she would not of been so cocky. Good luck to anybody who works in that snake pit.
Not worth your time
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Butler, PAJune 11, 2019
You don’t get paid for what you are expected to do. Staff are rude and the nurses think they are better then you.. STAY AWAY!! You will be treated with disrespect, you are stuck in a hole for 8 hours without talking to anyone because you will get in trouble if you do. The attitudes are down right horrible.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Lack of autonomy in your job, favortism, micromanagement and culture of backstabbing coworkers
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Indiana, PAMay 16, 2019
Not offered autonomy in your work. Micromanaged and mundane work culture. Constant travel out of assigned area. Lack of support. Overload of paperwork that consumes evenings and free time.
Pros
Patients
Cons
micromanagement, lack of autonomy and excess paperwork
Home Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CAMay 12, 2019
Great patients, great co-workers. Wonderful climate and social opportunities. They really accept travelers wholeheartedly and are so friendly and supportive both professionally and personally.
Pros
Great support team.
Wouldn't recommend
In Home Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Dexter, MOMay 3, 2019
You are not appreciated at all. You get a raise once a year and it's a one percent, two percent or a three percent which is like getting .06 cents an hour raise. That's not even a cost of living raise. No communication at all. I've been here 4 years and only make minimum wage and have put in for different job positions (that I was qualified for) and was shut down. No room for moving up the ladder. To be such a big company and do their workers so wrong.
Flexible
RN (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MAApril 5, 2019
VNA is a good place to work if you are looking for flexibility. Documentation can be time consuming and most of the time work is brought home. Management is fair.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Bringing work home
Worst place to work at ever
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILMarch 4, 2019
This clinic is no longer about patient care or quality the higher ups only care about numbers quantity. Management sucks they have favorites and only those favorites move up in line and get less jobs. Management treats workers like kids and are rude unprofessional and love to retaliate when you do speak up. They order the cheapest supplies to work with and each patient is given 15min to talk about one topic anything else will be cut off and asked to be a separate visit. Providers dont care about patients just the charting and makin their numbers to get a bonus and to pay off their school loans. Horrible place for primary care.
Pros
Pto
Waste of my time
Nurse (Former Employee) –  FloridaJanuary 19, 2019
At orientation, we were promised all this work as they had "so many cases to fill". They were looking for day or night nurses. Once on board, those cases turned out to be about 3 in total and they were all the jobs that no one wanted. They will lie to get you in the door. The tablets that they have you chart on are not user friendly. If you don't "sync" often, you will not get paid and there is no message that tells you that you haven't synced. The pay is great if they actually had cases that the nurses could tolerate. Some cases need to be dropped.
not too bad
chha (Former Employee) –  Basking Ridge, NJDecember 4, 2018
VNA has benefits but everything is too complicated with them especially with the schedule tablet is too much stress and if you are unable to use it you might miss to sync in some hours then loose money
home health aide
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYNovember 26, 2018
You need to take care of patients at their home or place. It can involve cooking, cleaning and other things. It is harder for a male person to get customers, due to the lack of male patients.
Per Diem not recommended
RN, pediatric, mother/baby (Former Employee) –  Needham, MANovember 6, 2018
I had to report to office to grab a computer, and then proceed to patient's homes and then return computer to office. Pay did not compensate for all of that.
A secure job
Field Assisrant/ HHA (Former Employee) –  Dennis, MANovember 1, 2018
A secure job. Scheduling can be difficultat times.A great benefit package! Visiting 6 clients a day. Management tries to Support the staff. The most difficult part of the job is the travel and mileage. I loved my job at VNA taking care of clients. So they could remain home. I looked forward to going to work daily.
Pros
Steady employment, good benefits
Cons
Lack of communication
Poor management, long unpaid phone and charting commitments
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 25, 2018
VNA used to be a great place to work. Currenly the total environment has dramatically changed. There is a lot of backstabbing conspiracy and treachery. VNA is now a office or phone based company now. They have lost there community based focus on patient care.
Pros
Good pay for visit.
Cons
Untrustworthy Management Staff, long unpaid charting before and after seeing patients in the field.
Not enough advancement or support
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Claremont, CA 91711August 25, 2018
This is a hospice or nursing home health job. I usually take care of the patient in their own home. VNA patient coordinator won't give or schedule new patients to me unless am one of her or his peers. Every time I call for a new patients nothing is available for me to take care of once my patient had decease or expired. Even if you complain to the supervisor nothing is done. No support. One or two patients a day is not enough. I get paid by the number of patients and the hours I spend to each patients. Its not enough to earn a living. I stayed because of the hours flexibility.
Good place
Physical Therapist (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJuly 8, 2018
still working and want additional contracts with other HH agencies. I am allowed to work in a small radius of referrals and paperwork is streamlined. see patients for approx. 45 to 50 minutes and improve the quality of their lives. I have balance between work and personal life. Some of the office staff is disorganized and do not responded in a timely manner but my scheduler does an excellent job of making the admin sides of the job run smoothly.
Pros
see above
Cons
contract rate same as my per diem rate
Awesome co-workers, poor supportive supervisors, micromanage, poor support in the field
Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 26, 2018
High scrutiny with time based pay that was not considered "treatment time". I had to cover an extremely large area with no assistance and drove approx 5 hours each day, treating 3-5 people due to distance between patients, still had a lot of work to do at home and was not fairly compensated. I covered 3 COUNTIES for a home health position with no help and was constantly questioned for my time commitments, thus making pay per treatment not worth the job, forcing me to find work else where...and from my understanding, I was the 5 th OT to be hired in 4 years and all previous OTs had the same concerns...
Pros
team collaboration, schedule flexibility, independence.
Cons
money, support when needed, coverage.
The schedulers are terrible, stressful, disorganized, only calls when suddenly someone cancels. Attitude is very sarcastic, long waiting to be staffed
Nurse (Former Employee) –  FloridaMay 27, 2018
They liked to me. The scheduling staff discriminates, very disrespectful, demeaning when talking to the staff over the phone to assign cases. I regreted and wasted the time I put in to go through orientation, because the impression they gave during the orientation, was found out to be over exaggerated. They are hiring almost every week like they are given a big bonus to hiring, but don't have work, and they give flimsy excuses for not assigning work to the staff, some are working, while some staff are waiting forever to be given work, discriminates. If you are nurse, please don't waste your time. After making heaven and Earth promises during the orientation, you are then thrown in the hands of the schedulers who acts like the overall boss, who help to expose the truth in what working there looks like.
Pros
Found none
Cons
Deceptive and discriminates
Good place to advance if full time
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, INMarch 2, 2018
Learned many skills that I did not have before starting. The staff uses tablets to document work and that makes for a very productive day; no double charting. The manager is very easy to talk to and if she does not know the answer, she will find out for you and she does get back to you!
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
PRN ; sometimes not enough work
Great people to work with
Network Analyst (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 2, 2018
This was one of my best places to work. I loved the people, supported multiple sites and data centers, fed the elderly delivering meals of wheels. It was a great place to work and miss it very much I just went on to other adventures.
Pros
Many things to do with great people
Cons
lower salary as a non profit